NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

19 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I understand the Celtics are very good, but is there anyone on earth that honestly believes they can beat the Nuggets in a finals series?

I mean, yes? They might not be favored, but they can absolutely win it all. Tatum's playoff issues have been an easy punching bag, but he'd already be an NBA champ if Steph didn't go nuclear in Game 4. And this Boston team is much better than that one. No more Smart, added Holiday and Kristaps, White becoming one of the most effective players in the league. Probably the best starting 5 in basketball. Sure, when push comes to shove, I'm taking the team with the best player on the planet, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

19 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's not fair. I'm not a Suns or KD hater. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Suns or KD lover, either. But still... 

I just think their roster is poorly constructed and while I can respect the balls on their owner for going all in, I think they are in for a world of hurt in the not too distant future. KD and Beal are both past their primes and brittle. They mortgaged all their picks and the second apron is about to come down on them, hard. If this iteration doesn't get it done, what then? They can't re-tool around them. Their only real tradeable asset is Booker and they can't even unload him to tank because they don't own their picks. 

It took the Knicks a decade to crawl out from Isiah Thomas mortgaging their future. I can't believe the Suns are letting him anywhere near their decision makers.

Just messing with you. 

Agree that their future is messy. Mainly commenting on this season. They've put together a decent roster around the big 3 and if they can stay healthy and maybe get hot shooting in a series or two I think they're a legit Finals contender. That was a gritty win in Denver.

But, who knows, I've been out on them most of the season. I may change my tune in a couple weeks. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

A pretty obvious statement, but Dallas is never going to win anything of note until Luka at least starts trying on that end. Like Dirk, he'll never be a good defender, but Dirk eventually realized the importance of making a real effort on defense as the leader of the team.

This was always the biggest risk pairing Luka with Kyrie. Their two best players want nothing to do with defense.

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

they showed a graphic during the 3Q last night that showed that the suns are the worst 4Q team in the nba by an almost unbelievable margin- as in 3x worse in the 4Q than the next worst team in the list. the suns proceeded to lose the 4Q 21-12 and got taken to OT. you can’t be the worst team in the nba (ever?!?) in the 4Q and be considered a contender.

It's bizarre but hasn't kept them from being 2 games up on the 7 seed despite not getting a ton of KD/Booker/Beal so far. They obviously have nice margins in the other 3 Qs - they're 11th in net rtg and top 15 in both O and D. 

The Suns when fully healthy have seemed like a team that could make some playoff noise. Problem is we’ve only seen it about 25 percent of the time this season so hard to count on it in April/May. 

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

A pretty obvious statement, but Dallas is never going to win anything of note until Luka at least starts trying on that end. Like Dirk, he'll never be a good defender, but Dirk eventually realized the importance of making a real effort on defense as the leader of the team.

This was always the biggest risk pairing Luka with Kyrie. Their two best players want nothing to do with defense.

watch the games, they're putting in lots of effort on the defensive end.  where they have issues is rotating over to the open shooter once we start helping down.  luka's too slow to cover ground and ky gets lots.  he legitimately gets confused on where to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Jesus fuck, sports is stupid.

He was out tonight with knee soreness on yesterdays report

Call me crazy I think you can make a run without him. 

Just need ANT to go '06 Wade.

Kats hated by most but he’s still a very efficient 3-level scorer, one of the best I’ve seen play. Hopefully he’s back before playoffs and can get his legs under him. Wolves should be cemented into a top 4, 1 seed is probably out the door but we still have the leagues best defense and ant so. But he just became a father last week so who knows what’s going on with his personal life

Wojs tweet gives me hope it’s not as serious as what shams tweet led off with

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kats hated by most but he’s still a very efficient 3-level scorer, one of the best I’ve seen play. Hopefully he’s back before playoffs and can get his legs under him. Wolves should be cemented into a top 4, 1 seed is probably out the door but we still have the leagues best defense and ant so. But he just became a father last week so who knows what’s going on with his personal life

Wojs tweet gives me hope it’s not as serious as what shams tweet led off with

I don't hate KAT but he's completely folded in the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. Acting like he's some integral piece to a championship formula is silly. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Ewing-theory with him out. 

19 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Woj playing mind games

Eerily similar to how the Sixers messaged the Embiid thing. 

Hopefully he’s okay. I want everyone healthy going into the West playoffs. 

41 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Jesus fuck, sports is stupid.

I feel your pain. Wemby is sitting out tonight with a twisted ankle in a critical matchup for the 13 win Spurs against Sacramento.

But this KAT thing really is a bummer. I feel a little ripped off by the injuries that precede the NBA playoffs each year and it seems like they are increasing, despite whatever advances we've made in medicine and load management. Maybe it's selective memory, but I just don't remember it happening as much back in the day.

Posted (edited)

And thats a wrap on the 24 season for Ben Simmons. Good job.  Good effort. 

Simmons was able to play only 15 games this season because of the injury, one that caused him to miss a stretch of 38 consecutive games and has recently kept him out for the past five games.

Simmons averaged 6.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 5.7 assists, showing an ability to be a threat on the boards, and to set up 3-point shooters on the perimeter. But he virtually refused to shoot outside of the immediate vicinity of the basket and went just 6-for-15 from the foul line across those 15 games this season.

That clown has made $160M to date with another ~$40M next year. $200M for the steaming pile of shit that is his NBA career. His agent earned every fucking penny.

Edited by Blotto

I don't hate KAT but he's completely folded in the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. Acting like he's some integral piece to a championship formula is silly. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Ewing-theory with him out. 

I thought he did pretty good last year after the first game.

55 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That clown has made $160M to date with another ~$40M next year. $200M for the steaming pile of shit that is his NBA career. His agent earned fucking penny.

absolutely stunning news that he is done for the year.  never would have seen anything like that coming.

nets fans will always have the 15 games he gave them this year though.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

That clown has made $160M to date with another ~$40M next year. $200M for the steaming pile of shit that is his NBA career. His agent earned every fucking penny.

If I were an NFL player, I would occasionally hate scroll NBA salaries and contracts while drunk and get very bitter and angry.

Posted (edited)

That's a dumb comment. From '99-'05 league average TS% was .519.

In that span AI won 4 scoring titles on .504 TS% and posted 29.1 ppg.

So he was scoring at a higher clip than everyone in the league at slightly below average efficiency.

He'd be fine and he would develop a better 3 pointer.

Another thing - after the rules were changed in 05 league TS% jumped up to .529. AI posted a .532 that season and won the scoring title.

League average this season is .581. Lillard is posting .593 next to Giannis. Kyrie is posting. 599 next to Luka. Murray is at .582 next to Jokic.

Even if AI was chucking he'd probably be close to that league average number today. Especially if he had a 2nd option worth a shit (which he never had). Trying to compare the spacing and defense of 2024 to the early 2000s is asinine. 

And he led the league in swipes 3 straight seasons. He wasn't a shitty defender like Trae or Lillard or Kyrie.

Kobe - who's obviously a better player - put up .547 from 2000-2002 next to fucking Shaq. That number would be straight up bad for a volume scorer in today's league. Like almost Jalen Green with the car keys bad.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

I thought he did pretty good last year after the first game.
You and I remember that series very differently. KAT was trash for most of the series. Only scored more than 20 in 2 of 5 games. He averaged 18 for the series and had the worst +/- on the Wolves.
image.thumb.png.87d8e5644d539e331e8fba520848fa52.png
Sengun is gonna be a good one. Really like his game.

Well Dallas has put an end to Miami's hot start. 

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You and I remember that series very differently. KAT was trash for most of the series. Only scored more than 20 in 2 of 5 games. He averaged 18 for the series and had the worst +/- on the Wolves.

He combined for 7.8 turnovers + fouls per game.

That's hard to top.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Screenshot_20240307_203600_ESPN.thumb.jpg.15f41016f0322f902c1334102a741b95.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ant is the second coming

Holy fucking shit

That was your first win against a playoff team since Feb 12. And you were on the road. 

I told you there was a very good chance of this happening. I'd almost prefer KAT was healthy if I'm another West team.

Step away from the ledge.

Edited by ztejas

That was your first win against a playoff team since Feb 12. And you were on the road. 
I told you there was a very good chance of this happening. I'd almost prefer KAT was healthy if I'm another West team.
Step away from the ledge.

Wolves have only played 3 playoff teams since Feb 12 and lost them by a combined 10 pts. Not exactly getting exposed but some bad losses to Sac and LAC because a bench player went absolutely HAM

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wolves have only played 3 playoff teams since Feb 12 and lost them by a combined 10 pts. Not exactly getting exposed but some bad losses to Sac and LAC because a bench player went absolutely HAM

I like how you're trying to prove me wrong when me being right could mean you are equipped to make a serious run. 

Also shout out - again - to the Ringer dipshit that had Harden above ANT.

Edited by ztejas

I like how you're trying to prove me wrong when me being right could mean you are equipped to make a serious run. 
Also shout out - again - to the Ringer dipshit that had Harden above ANT.

I wasn’t trying to prove you wrong. Saying ant had to go into legendary mode isn’t exactly earth shattering analysis lol

Team needs kat plain and simple. Kyle Anderson is god awful and not being able to stagger Rudy and kat throughout the game changes a lot

59 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I wasn’t trying to prove you wrong. Saying ant had to go into legendary mode isn’t exactly earth shattering analysis lol

Team needs kat plain and simple. Kyle Anderson is god awful and not being able to stagger Rudy and kat throughout the game changes a lot

Dude are you even reading the conversation we've had today?

Dude are you even reading the conversation we've had today?

Yes. You said you don’t think kat is a needed in a run as long as ant can be 2006 Wade.

Kat is pivotal in guarding Joker. In fact he’s probably one of the best in the league at it, and allows Rudy to roam. Granted if they do meet, wouldn’t be until WCSF or WCF so he should be back. MN still has 3 games left vs Denver this regular season.

And kats 10x the player his replacement Kyle Anderson is.