Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Same for the Tucker/Robert trade you brought up. 

No, there’s a difference there for the white Sox. 
1) they hate their clubhouse chemistry

2) they are in a shitty division that the could fuck around and actually win bc

3) they have a fair amount of talent- especially relative to the other teams in their division. 

They could see a Tucker trade as a way to reset chemistry- take a 3 month crack at competing, and selling him for prospects at the trade deadline. 
I’m not saying they would do it, but they could absolutely go half in and half out while saving money and not making their team worse in 2024 (first couple months before they decide if they are competitors or selling). 

With the expanded playoffs the rumor is that teams are basically paying 95% at the deadline of what they’d pay if they’d have done the deal on the previous offseason bc someone that’s going to add a guy like Tucker is doing it for having the playoffs in mind. 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_7474.jpeg

Met him at spring training in around 1993, he was PISSED that I had the audacity to ask him for an autograph lol  I was 15 and he didn't think I actually knew who he was.  Despite being the only one that asked him.  Lived up to his rep, most kids would have been upset, I was impressed. 

He did still sign it for me.  That ball has Bagwell, Biggio, Caminiti, Kyle, Reynolds, Luis Gonzalez, Jose Cruz, Cedeno, and a few others on it.  It's also beat to hell because my brother decide to go Sandlot on it haha

• Hook 'Em 2

A dude on Clutchfans who has been a long time reliable insider is saying the Astros are very close to completing a blockbuster trade, and the insinuation is that it’s for a starting pitcher.  My guess is Dylan Cease, with Hunter Brown going to Chicago as the headliner.  I would love if Michael Kopech was coming to Houston as well.  I find it hard to believe Houston can make a match for both Cease and Robert.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

A dude on Clutchfans who has been a long time reliable insider is saying the Astros are very close to completing a blockbuster trade, and the insinuation is that it’s for a starting pitcher.  My guess is Dylan Cease, with Hunter Brown going to Chicago as the headliner.  I would love if Michael Kopech was coming to Houston as well.  I find it hard to believe Houston can make a match for both Cease and Robert.

this has been floating around for a week or sO. 100% throw in Chas and get Roberts 

Edited by tx 3 putt

31 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Nook? 

Assessment of Houston’s current trade chips:

Off limits: Alvarez, Altuve, Diaz, Tucker, Valdez, Bregman, Verlander, B Abreu; these players would only be traded in a massive deal for equivalent MLB talent or in some strange trade linked to another trade or part of an inexplicable rebuild/reload

1st tier (equivalent to MLB Top 50 prospect): Pena, McCormick, Brown, Javier; these could be headliners in a blockbuster

2nd tier (equivalent to MLB Top 51-125 prospect): Garcia, Meyers, Pressly, France, Urquidy, Dubon, Corona, Melton, Matthews; these could be headliners for a RP or fringe regular, or complimentary pieces in a blockbuster 

3rd tier (equivalent to prospect ranked in org 10-30 range): Dubin, Graveman, Martinez, Mushinski, Whitley, Kessinger, Julks, Baez, Arrighetti, Dezenzo, Loperfido, Gordon, Barber, Leon, Wagner, Daniels, Whitcomb, Dirden, Tamarez, Melendez, Kouba; could be flipped for a bench piece or add-ons in a bigger deal

Throw-ins/DFA Fodder: Salazar, Bielak, Blanco, Gage, Kuhnel, Ortega, Sousa, Hensley, Singleton

Salary dumps: J Abreu, McCullers, Montero

I feel like the only way Houston can make a major trade this offseason is by dealing Hunter Brown.

Edited by Snake Diggity

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Have to trade Chas + other stuff to get Robert I would guess.

I mean that is completely acceptable. I love Chas, but Robert has a ceiling that Chas can't approach. Plus, Robert is under a team friendly deal until 2027.

Cease and Robert for a package centered around Brown and Chas is a great deal.

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Off limits: Alvarez, Altuve, Diaz, Tucker, Valdez, Bregman, Verlander, B Abreu; these players would only be traded in a massive deal for equivalent MLB talent or in some strange trade linked to another trade or part of an inexplicable rebuild/reload

1st tier (equivalent to MLB Top 50 prospect): Pena, McCormick, Brown, Javier; these could be headliners in a blockbuster

2nd tier (equivalent to MLB Top 51-125 prospect): Garcia, Meyers, Pressly, France, Urquidy, Dubon, Corona, Melton, Matthews; these could be headliners for a RP or fringe regular, or complimentary pieces in a blockbuster 

3rd tier (equivalent to prospect ranked in org 10-30 range): Dubin, Graveman, Martinez, Mushinski, Whitley, Kessinger, Julks, Baez, Arrighetti, Dezenzo, Loperfido, Gordon, Barber, Leon, Wagner, Daniels, Whitcomb, Dirden, Tamarez, Melendez, Kouba; could be flipped for a bench piece or add-ons in a bigger deal

Throw-ins/DFA Fodder: Salazar, Bielak, Blanco, Gage, Kuhnel, Ortega, Sousa, Hensley, Singleton

Salary dumps: J Abreu, McCullers, Montero

I feel like the only way Houston can make a major trade this offseason is by dealing Hunter Brown.

If you know Bregman and Tucker are gone it gets easier to imagine trading them. With where we are in the competitive window it would have to be for quality major leaguers. 

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Not to demean your work and the effort it took, but it is well-established that the price for Yordan Alvarez is a middle reliever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean that is completely acceptable. I love Chas, but Robert has a ceiling that Chas can't approach. Plus, Robert is under a team friendly deal until 2027.

Based on?  Virtually identical WAR/PA this year.  Both under club control until '27.  Robert is 2 years younger, so that's something.

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Based on?  Virtually identical WAR/PA this year.  Both under club control until '27.  Robert is 2 years younger, so that's something.

Robert is 3 years younger and has nearly doubled Chas' career WAR in only 20 more games. Every team in the MLB baseball would take Robert over McCormick.

• Hook 'Em 2