Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

and pressley left today without speaking with the media …. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Two starters delayed with inflammation and our closer (until today) is AWOL.

“Alright. Good first day. everyone get in here and give me a RELENTLESS as loud as you can on the count of 3…”

• Prepare your anus 1

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Two starters delayed with inflammation and our closer (until today) is AWOL.

“Alright. Good first day. everyone get in here and give me a RELENTLESS as loud as you can on the count of 3…”

listening to the 790 guy explaining how it all dropped was funny. Jv and espada just dropping casual comments, then getting asked to please expand ha

Edited by tx 3 putt

Pressly had to leave "early" today is why he didn't speak with media. All indications from every other thing posted about this situation have been positive and he is taking it like a man.

This shit isn't news anyway. You don't sign a dude for 100M to be 8th inning guy. Hader was closer the moment he put pen to paper and everyone knew it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Pressly had to leave "early" today is why he didn't speak with media. All indications from every other thing posted about this situation have been positive and he is taking it like a man.

This shit isn't news anyway. You don't sign a dude for 100M to be 8th inning guy. Hader was closer the moment he put pen to paper and everyone knew it.

I’m betting that’s not what Chandler has to say!

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

All of this.

Pressly has never struck me as the type to cause the boat to rock just because he didn't get his way.  The Astros made him who he became and he knows it.  

I actually think he's going to have a lock down lights out season just to prove how good he is.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Kinda feels like we really need to sign a SP as insurance. We need Framber and Javier to bounce back from rough years. The Rookies probably still arent ready for a full season. How much are we gonna get out of McCullers and Garcia? I believe in our ability to develop and adjust but we had some real issues that i think are mostly due to wearing down. That being said we need to see a stronger year out of SPs to achieve what we want.

12 hours ago, bwub60 said:

Kinda feels like we really need to sign a SP as insurance. We need Framber and Javier to bounce back from rough years. The Rookies probably still arent ready for a full season. How much are we gonna get out of McCullers and Garcia? I believe in our ability to develop and adjust but we had some real issues that i think are mostly due to wearing down. That being said we need to see a stronger year out of SPs to achieve what we want.

Who do you mean?  
if you are talking about Ace hunting sure. That’s not typically what I think of as insurance but that would be the best use of money we could do this time around. 
if you are talking about this years version of Odorizi hard pass. We have 10 guys in the org that I would trust to muddle through 5 starts or something if we had a bunch of guys go down. 

I really think (not an uncommon theory) that Framber's issue was the clock.  He wasn't in good enough shape to deal with it.  Looks like he might be from those pics above.  He was overthrowing in rushing his pitches.  Hopefully that gets worked on easily in ST.

I think Javiers issue was trying to prove he was worth the contract and trying to be a star.  He just needs to be himself and pitch.  

I believe both will be fine this year and learned from last year.  But that could just be my hope

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

I think we need the Ace SP at the trade deadline... and I think we'll have the pieces on the roster do make the trade

Who knows what we’ll need at the deadline. I think the lineup for the start of the season is fine. I would like to see some better depth on the bench. I don’t think much of Singleton or Kissinger. Maybe Cabbage will have a nice spring and get a chance. 

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

What we really need (in addition to health) is Javier to bounce back. Last year was horrendous - surely (hopefully) he will improve this year. 

Brown or Javier taking a big step forward would be huge.

Astros have 10 viable SP in Framber, JV (threw off a mound today), Javier, Brown, Urquidy, France (still on track to be healthy on opening day), Bielak, Arrighetti, Dubin, and  Blanco.  Those last 4 are not guys you want to count on bigly but would be fine BoR guys if needed for a few weeks.  If Framber or JV get hurt you’re pretty fucked no matter what; you don’t just go out and immediately replace a Cy Young candidate.  Snell and Montgomery still being available and Crane showing he’s in fuck it mode with the Hader signing does give some comfort.

5 hours ago, uoftorange said:

I really think (not an uncommon theory) that Framber's issue was the clock.  He wasn't in good enough shape to deal with it.  Looks like he might be from those pics above.  He was overthrowing in rushing his pitches.  Hopefully that gets worked on easily in ST.

I think Javiers issue was trying to prove he was worth the contract and trying to be a star.  He just needs to be himself and pitch.  

I believe both will be fine this year and learned from last year.  But that could just be my hope

If you listen to the pod I told you about a month ago that Javier’s nutrition was shit and that was causing his stamina problems the thought went in the org. Thats me getting that from someone whose pretty reliable on the net.
He’s in great shape now. I expect a big year from him. 
Framber was pitching like a cy young guy until he trolled his ankle and never got right. He will be fine. It’s all good. 😌 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_8957.jpeg

I remember a time when a key lefty starter in his age 30 season came into camp looking jacked:

A1EB3670-118E-4F07-822F-A942F45B3C69.png

(He went 12-11 with a 3.74 ERA allowing a league high 211 hits… but did lead the league in starts (34) and T-3 in IP (204.2).

so hopefully we at least get that 

Edited by UTexasFight

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you listen to the pod I told you about a month ago that Javier’s nutrition was shit and that was causing his stamina problems the thought went in the org. Thats me getting that from someone whose pretty reliable on the net.
He’s in great shape now. I expect a big year from him. 
Framber was pitching like a cy young guy until he trolled his ankle and never got right. He will be fine. It’s all good. 😌 

I remember seeing him holding a bag of Chipotle walking into Yankee Stadium (I think) and being worried he was going to die of food poisoning

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I remember seeing him holding a bag of Chipotle walking into Yankee Stadium (I think) and being worried he was going to die of food poisoning

Apparently he lives on McDonald’s. Or did. Looks really good right now. 

• Drool 1

14 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

My guess is that JS gets tossed in the compost bin

Rostering Singleton is tricky as he’s out of options. I don’t know the rules inside and out but I’m guessing that starting him out in the minors doesn’t count as an option so that’s probably the way to go. 

31 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Rostering Singleton is tricky as he’s out of options. I don’t know the rules inside and out but I’m guessing that starting him out in the minors doesn’t count as an option so that’s probably the way to go. 

Singleton cannot be sent to the minors without being designated for assignment and exposed to a waiver claim by another team.  It is certainly possible he would go unclaimed (he did last season, that’s how Houston was able to sign him).

I am one of the bigger proponents of Singleton, but Cabbage is a better potential fit for the roster; he’s got just as much raw power but much more value in the field and on the bases.  If Cabbage has a good spring then I think it’s very likely Houston will take their chances designating Singleton (or trading him).  If I were a GM of a team with shitty options at 1B/DH (Padres, A’s, Rockies, Nats), I would try to trade for Singleton.

Edited by Snake Diggity

I was at the JS game where Johnny Moonshot hit 2 bombs. But Mr. Moonshot never appeared again. His biggest contribution the rest of the season was taking that walk in the playoffs. So as great a story as JS success would be, I wouldn't bet on it.