Texas opens as a 7 point favorite @ Iowa State

TexasMan

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They don't throw the ball and like to run straight up the middle?

We throw a lot of shorter and intermediate routes to play off our receiver's strengths.  We have a bunch of guys who can get yards with the ball in their hand, but aren't taking the top off the defense.  Our QB isn't great with the deep ball either.  Get the ball to them 5-15 yards downfield, and let them work.  We have some athletic TEs that can hit up the seam too.

We run the ball well sometimes.  Our offensive line has gotten quite a bit better.  Texas has the best DL we've played all year, and I anticipate that we won't get much of anything on the ground on Saturday.  We'll have to throw to set up the run, and our receivers and QB will absolutely need to be on the same page with their timing routes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This team is too inconsistent and variable to bet and give points this season. Wish I learned that lesson earlier in the season.

Basketball last year was a solid bet. Football this year there's no predictable pattern in the results imo. Obviously you could say the predictable result is the other team is going to come back and cover, but 1) i think that's recency bias, and 2) i'm not sure that trend holds over the course of the season

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The idiot who ran his mouth is average at absolute best.  I’ve had my face buried in my palm since I saw that.  

Rule 1:  never give the other team ammo.  Especially when they’re more talented.

Serious post: would you be surprised if Texas beats y'all by 4 TDs after that comment?

Also, I'll actually miss you guys. Hope you stay on the board Al

Serious post: would you be surprised if Texas beats y'all by 4 TDs after that comment?
Also, I'll actually miss you guys. Hope you stay on the board Al

Yes. These guys are all quasi-pros and they don’t need that extra motivation with a conference title on the line.

It’s still completely pointless. Part of the reason Texas is 1-3 in Ames in their last 4 trips is because Texas had showed up as mopey bitches who didn’t want to be there. They’ve always had more talent.

Do not give them any extra reason to care. There’s 0 upside in running your mouth before the game regardless of opponent, but it’s a special kind of dumb when the opponent has more talent.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yes. These guys are all quasi-pros and they don’t need that extra motivation with a conference title on the line.

It’s still completely pointless. Part of the reason Texas is 1-3 in Ames in their last 4 trips is because Texas had showed up as mopey bitches who didn’t want to be there. They’ve always had more talent.

Do not give them any extra reason to care. There’s 0 upside in running your mouth before the game regardless of opponent, but it’s a special kind of dumb when the opponent has more talent.

The more talent angle is questionable. Guys like Breece Hall, Brock Purdy, Charlie Kolar, Xavier Hutchinson, MJ Anderson, Will McDonald, and some others were solidly better than what Texas had. 

You guys also had the benefit of continuity in coaching and scheme. You guys are in a down cycle, if you won this year, it would be the best win of that stretch by far.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:52 AM, ClubWhatever said:

This dude was in line in front of me at airport a couple of weeks ago.  I think he  might fill multiple quota categories.  

Did you punch him in the pussy? Cause that would have been an acceptable course of action.