need help with a movie scene

henrygandorf

this is typically the type of thing i would help other people with, but this one has been driving me crazy for 2-3 days now, and i don't feel like i'm getting any closer to it.

here's what we think/know about the scene:

someone gets into a cab (i think it's a man, and i think it's to or from the airport, i wanna even say it's cusack or someone similar).  he's sitting alone, and the cab driver is middle eastern, and some dramatic foreign music is playing on his radio, and the driver just starts sobbing uncontrollably.  then the rider says, "are you ok?" to which the cabbie goes back to normal/non-crying, sits up straight, and says, (with an accent), "oh yes, i am fine."

it's a random standalone scene in the movie, and i don't think it has anything to do with the plot.  i can see the driver, he's kinda like a young tony shalhoub, but it's not him.  the movie is comedy or rom com (i think) and i would guess it came out in 1992-2004.

please help so i can go on with my life.  in return, if some scene or line is bothering you, i will try to help, as normally i am good at this shit.

i will say this about myself.  99 out of 100, i can figure it out.  but when i cannot, i can typically nail the description of the scene that's got me confused.  i missed the year by 1 though (1991).

it was from the airport, white guy, and pretty isolated scene from the plot of the movie.  also shalhoub-ish guy driving.

this is one of the movies my wife puts on late at night if she wakes up and can't go back to sleep.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

It's a random standalone scene in the movie, and i don't think it has anything to do with the plot.

From IMDB:

Although it's never said, many speculated that the crying taxi driver in Los Angeles is the "Pakistani man" from the letters Ben Stone reads to the expectant woman and her husband.

31 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

From IMDB:

Although it's never said, many speculated that the crying taxi driver in Los Angeles is the "Pakistani man" from the letters Ben Stone reads to the expectant woman and her husband.

that's a possibility, although a giant leap of faith for the writers, if they expected anyone to put that together.  maybe it's just a little wink.

57 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

The biggest surprise in this thread is the discovery that HG is married. 

Aside from the recurrent leaks from the private board, it does help explain the decline in the crazy LA party stories.  Congrats!

yeah, i had to hang up the cleats and be an old man.  bachelor party was fun, which is all i'm allowed to say, according to the nda's we all signed.

still didn't stop a couple degenerate shaggy assholes from doing blow at my wedding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

I think TornACL deserves something from the big ass prize closet.  Do we have a big ass prize closet?

I'd be happy to accept any leftover blonde-os hanging around, but the funniest part is, I found that scene by googling "crying cab driver movie" and it was the second hit.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

“Best surprise nudity” would be a good thread topic (and Oscar category). This would be my submission.

No kidding.  As a young kid in the 90s this was definitely one you made sure to watch when it was on HBO.  It's sneaky nudity disguised in with wholesome MJF and a PG-13 rating.  I was too naïve to just role straight into the 1am showings of real sex.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I'd be happy to accept any leftover blonde-os hanging around, but the funniest part is, I found that scene by googling "crying cab driver movie" and it was the second hit.

there are a few.  they're around.

i googled a lot of different shit and ended up with a bunch of taxi driver links.

typically i would just google the line, but "oh yes i am fine" gets you next to nowhere.

Ok here is one....

And man this was over 20 years ago.....

A guy sneaks into a house of a couple.....goes into the bathroom and puts something on a toothbrush and leaves.

The next morning when the guy uses his toothbrush he starts convulsing and his guts explode out of him...or something like that. Have no idea what that was or remember anything about the movie but that.

6 hours ago, LCHorn said:

The biggest surprise in this thread is the discovery that HG is married. 

Aside from the recurrent leaks from the private board, it does help explain the decline in the crazy LA party stories.  Congrats!

Nope.   The biggest surprise is that you only have 12 posts.