TNF - Cowboys v. Seahawks

'stache

Speaking after the game, Seattle head coach Pete Carroll was not happy with the officials, pointing specifically to the sequence that led to the delay of game before the Seahawks’ missed field goal and also to the numerous fouls called against his defensive backs in coverage.

Seriously Pete? Your team got a TD drive that was 99 percent penalty yards and the Cowboys got called for all sorts of shit in that game. Refs were looking for any little thing to call all the way until the last few minutes of the game. 

Wild shit last night. First NFL game with (EDIT: I think it must've been 75 combined points, not 125 as I quickly/mistakenly typed) or more combined points and no punts. Five NFL games have featured zero points — McCarthy has been a head coach in three of those. Finally, a team had never had 125 or more penalty yards and not punted in that game. Both the Cowboys and Seahawks did that last night.

Edited by C-Man

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Wild shit last night. First NFL game with 125 or more combined points and no punts. Five NFL games have featured zero points — McCarthy has been a head coach in three of those. Finally, a team had never had 125 or more penalty yards and not punted in that game. Both the Cowboys and Seahawks did that last night.

did the other games without punts feature lots of penalties also? the more penalties and penalty yards there are the more first downs you get. if one extrapolates that thought out it doesn't surprise me in the least that one of the least disciplined coaches ever has been involved in over half of such games.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Wild shit last night. First NFL game with 125 or more combined points and no punts. Five NFL games have featured zero points — McCarthy has been a head coach in three of those. Finally, a team had never had 125 or more penalty yards and not punted in that game. Both the Cowboys and Seahawks did that last night.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Riddle me this: even if the 9er’s get the Eagles this week and Dallas gets them next week, the Cowboys need the Eagles to drop one more game because their other losses is the Jets, while Dallas has dropped 3 NFC games this far, right?
Correct. We will be tied with them, head to head will be split. It then goes to division record I think. That will also be even. Conference record is next and with our loss to the Cardinals vs theirs of the Jets, they get the tie breaker.

That Arizona loss was brutal. They are beyond terrible. Arizona did what Seattle did to this defense last night, except they did a ton of it on the ground. And hit big pass plays when needed.

Eagles schedule after Niners and us is very easy. They will be done with their tough stretch while we will still be in the middle of ours with Buffalo, Miami and Detroit still remaining..

The division right now is a long shot and too many things need to happen. We have to pretty much go unbeaten and Eagles need to lose 3 more. Don't see that happening.

We are setting up like last season. Get the 5 seed. Play a terrible NFC South on the road wild card round. And if we win that, play either Philly or SF the next round.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Cowboys will beat Philly next week but lose both or one of the two following road games. 
I think we split Buffalo and Miami. We beat Detroit at home. Beat Washington on the road unless we are locked in the 5 seed and nothing else can be done, we could be resting people and lay an egg. Believe we did this to end the 2021 season against Washington.

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Correct. We will be tied with them, head to head will be split. It then goes to division record I think. That will also be even. Conference record is next and with our loss to the Cardinals vs theirs of the Jets, they get the tie breaker.

That Arizona loss was brutal. They are beyond terrible. Arizona did what Seattle did to this defense last night, except they did a ton of it on the ground. And hit big pass plays when needed.

Eagles schedule after Niners and us is very easy. They will be done with their tough stretch while we will still be in the middle of ours with Buffalo, Miami and Detroit still remaining..

The division right now is a long shot and too many things need to happen. We have to pretty much go unbeaten and Eagles need to lose 3 more. Don't see that happening.

We are setting up like last season. Get the 5 seed. Play a terrible NFC South on the road wild card round. And if we win that, play either Philly or SF the next round.

Yep, this. I really hope we get Philly and not SF. We apparently cannot beat them. 

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Seriously Pete? Your team got a TD drive that was 99 percent penalty yards and the Cowboys got called for all sorts of shit in that game. Refs were looking for any little thing to call all the way until the last few minutes of the game. 

ha ha. so predictable.  He spent basically the entire 3 hours bitching at refs instead of coaching his team....OK maybe 5 minutes of hugs and chest bumps.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, this. I really hope we get Philly and not SF. We apparently cannot beat them. 
Same. We turn into cowards on both sides of the ball playing SF. Home or away. They just own us. We match up much better with Philly. We might not win but we don't allow them to punk us off the field. Their defense isn't even close to being as good as SF

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I don't have a problem with him complaining.  The officials were shitty.  They fucked each team as much as they helped them.

he coaches his DB's to hold.  It has been known since Legion of Boom.  He has no right to complain but he did it all night anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Cowboys will beat Philly next week but lose both or one of the two following road games. 

Or in the playoffs. Same old shit. I enjoyed the win though even when screaming at McCarthy for being a complete moron with his game management. Pete must really suck losing a battle of wits to a mongaloid.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he coaches his DB's to hold.  It has been known since Legion of Boom.  He has no right to complain but he did it all night anyway.

It works too they get away with it. 

That pass to Gallup the DB was grabbing him 2 or 3 times.

There comes a point where if "hand fighting" or "tight coverage" like that isn't going to get called, it's up to the receivers to stop being FUCKING SOONER PUSSIES and quit trying to draw calls and start getting physical with the DBs. If they are letting guys play then go fucking play and push off and get open. 

It's funny, I was about to comment that Lamb's hands seemed to have gotten better about 2 drives before the 4th down drop.

McCarthy needs an assistant head coach next to him talking to him about TO's, FG or Go, XP's, time mgmt. The shot to the endzone was inexplicable with Seattle having no TO's.  run an easy completion pass play that can break but receiver can stay in bounds.

Also, there was zero reason to take the TO after that.  fucking get your FG team ready and save the TO in case you need it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ferguson is starting to turn into a man out there on the field. Always good to have a dog like that at the TE position. Worked very well for Philly and KC. Adds another element to your offense. That was how Witten was in his prime. Making people look silly out there. And both Romo and Dak love the TE and getting them involved. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ferguson is starting to turn into a man out there on the field. Always good to have a dog like that at the TE position. Worked very well for Philly and KC. Adds another element to your offense. That was how Witten was in his prime. Making people look silly out there. And both Romo and Dak love the TE and getting them involved. 

I knew J Ferg was gonna be a star when he hurdled the dude last year. He is a great blocker and an elite athlete at that position. There was a play where he ragdolled a blitzing LB before running out and catching a first down pass. I nabbed him with my last pick in fantasy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

did the other games without punts feature lots of penalties also? the more penalties and penalty yards there are the more first downs you get. if one extrapolates that thought out it doesn't surprise me in the least that one of the least disciplined coaches ever has been involved in over half of such games.

Unless they're holding penalties and the such. Last night was weird in that we saw huge chunks due to DPI penalties. That's how they got to 125+ apiece.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well, if we go unbeaten the Eagles only have to lose twice and the Cowboys would give them one of those in this scenario. I haven't run the numbers -- are we likely to lose the second tie-break to them after head-to-head is a push at 1-1?

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, if we go unbeaten the Eagles only have to lose twice and the Cowboys would give them one of those in this scenario. I haven't run the numbers -- are we likely to lose the second tie-break to them after head-to-head is a push at 1-1?

I cant see us running the table to end the year, especially since we're already on a win streak. We will lose at least one more, and that will end our hopes of winning the division and being a top seed.

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I cant see us running the table to end the year, especially since we're already on a win streak. We will lose at least one more, and that will end our hopes of winning the division and being a top seed.

yeah, we have one of the top 5 hardest schedules remaining.  Eagles have top 6 EASIEST remaining.

we are fighting for WC1.  Our D just isn't good enough and IMO our running game is suspect against good teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, we have one of the top 5 hardest schedules remaining.  Eagles have top 6 EASIEST remaining.

we are fighting for WC1.  Our D just isn't good enough and IMO our running game is suspect against good teams.

Yes, I understand that -- and don't expect to win out. Was merely saying that in Vic's scenario where we'd have to win out to win division, the Eagles wouldn't need to lose three times. They'd need to lose twice to create the tie. I think the first tie-breaker is division record and then conference record. Something along those lines. So it might come down to who Philly's other loss was against -- an NFC East team, NFC team or AFC team deciding it.

Again, it's like working through CFP machinations before we played TCU and Iowa State. Wasn't really worth the time. Now it's worth the time to run the permutations.

Tie-break rules:

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). (presumably would be 1-1)
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. (Eagles are 3-0, Cowboys are 3-1 -- if we win out, Cowboys would have to be 5-1; would be real nice if the Giants or Commanders could do us a solid and beat Philly)
  • IBest won-lost-tied percentage in common games. (Not gonna bother looking until it looks like it could happen)
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  • Strength of victory in all games.
  • Strength of schedule in all games
  • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.
  • Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.
  • Best net points in common games.
  • Best net points in all games.
  • Best net touchdowns in all games.
  • Coin toss

13 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

on the fourth down play, Seahawks RB Deejay Dallas missed the block.

ffqmt3tvtiqi9obvymlq

I don't know if he missed the block or saw Parsons, got this exact look in his eyes, and said, "Nah, Imma block this guy over here, instead."

Haven't watched NFL in a while, so, random thoughts from a guy that's now a total casual.

It was GREAT on  the last two Dallas defensive series to see them go after the QB instead of dropping everyone and letting them  work underneath. Prevent defenses are the worst. 

Do all NFL players piss and moan for a flag after every damn play, now? 

You don't need to do a thug pose after a three yard gain. 

The game's better with the sound off. 

The former Seattle player that was running his mouth on the halftime show needs to drink a big cup of shut the fuck up.

I don't see this team running the gauntlet of Philly, Buffalo, Miami undefeated. Just too much for a team that's susceptible to big pass plays and big time penalties against good teams. 

They're going to have to go on the road in the playoffs again. Although this year I think this offense will put up points against anyone they face even in SF or Philly. Whether they stop anyone will be a question. 

Completely off topic...  As I was on YouTube watching a bunch of highlights from last night's game, the video for Super Bowl 27 was among the suggestions following the highlight vid.  So I thought I'd watch for a bit.

Man, hearing Dick Enberg's and Bob Trumpy's voices calling a game is as nostalgia-inducing as anything I've experienced in a long while.  Wound up watching nearly the whole game.  We Cowboys fans almost always got Summeral and Madden, but I loved Enberg/Trumpy.  

Anyway, if you haven't watched this in a while, it's just incredible.  The talent on that '92 squad was insane.

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Looks like Geno Smith confirmed their call was to squeeze inside and leave the edge free and sneak the back past him. In that case the back fucked up because his first steps looked like he was looking to block inside when he should have immediately shot out at the snap to the flat. Can't wait around against that speed if the edge is intentionally left free. Should have just run a screen. 

90 was on him like Vic on a fat Latina.

• Like 1

ha ha.  Pete no likey when the refs start calling what he coaches. fuck him.  

Carroll said he doesn't believe the NFL is "going in the right direction" with the frequency of coverage penalties such as those, and that officials need to be given more latitude in that part of their job.

"They know the game, they know how to make these calls, but they can't call everything that when there's a little this and a little that, and particularly when it doesn't affect the play," he said. "I'll spend some time on this in the offseason for sure. And I'm not saying I've got all the answers. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that I think the game needs to be adjusted here somewhat because there's too much emphasis on those situations."

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

ha ha.  Pete no likey when the refs start calling what he coaches. fuck him.  

Carroll said he doesn't believe the NFL is "going in the right direction" with the frequency of coverage penalties such as those, and that officials need to be given more latitude in that part of their job.

"They know the game, they know how to make these calls, but they can't call everything that when there's a little this and a little that, and particularly when it doesn't affect the play," he said. "I'll spend some time on this in the offseason for sure. And I'm not saying I've got all the answers. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that I think the game needs to be adjusted here somewhat because there's too much emphasis on those situations."

Yep fuck him indeed. He's been a whiny cunt going back to USC. He taught his Seattle defense to hold every single play in Seattle when they were at their peak. Because he knew the refs weren't going to call it every play. And he was right. It was all fun and games in the 1st half when his team was getting the benefit of all those calls. He was all excited. But now it's a problem when they did the same to his team? Boo fucking hoo. Him and Siriani are the 2 most unlikable coaches in the league. Constantly whining about something.

• Hook 'Em 2