Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

7 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah over on Autosport people are trashing Alonso for making it too hard for those guys to pass. WTF? I thought we were racing here, lol. 

They really have to make these cars smaller.  I wasn’t hating on Alonso cuz those guys have reach and find a way around.  

Also, another good showing for Stroll. 🤣

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

e758f9c783dd0531951226961954054c.jpg
Just thought of a crazy scenario….

What if Lawrence is finally tired of paying for his sons after school program, Red Bull gets their way with Sainz and Checo goes to Aston. Hmmmmm. 

Preaching to the choir I know, but If Aston is truly serious about competing for championships, then they need to have some serious reflection on keeping Lance as a driver.  Imo, he did his part well in helping get the team to where they are now as a pay driver, but AM is now ready to take the next step with a better #2 driver. The results so far this weekend are about as glaring as you can get.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Exactly, if Lawrence is serious…you need a massive second driver upgrade.

And Alonso isn’t dumb, he wasn’t gonna extend if he didn’t feel like Aston is ready to go off reallllly soon.

Alonso has a great record of predicting how good a team will be in the future

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Alonso has a great record of predicting how good a team will be in the future

Just like most drivers. He's just been around a lot longer than most and has had a lot more options than most would have. None of them have a crystal ball. Since 2010, there have been 4 drivers sharing all of those WDCs. Vettel, who was a Red Bull junior driver and fell into a dominant car. Lewis, who was unhappy at McLaren and was looking for a way out after 2012. He had one decent alternative, and that was Mercedes, where Michael had decided to hang up his shoes. And Mercedes had just one elite driver available, and that was Lewis. Nico was already at Mercedes for four years before they got their PU advantage. Max had been at Red Bull for five years before winning. Only one of those guys made the move into a WDC-winning seat, and he had nowhere else to go. Since Alonso's been in F1 (2001), the only drivers to move to a new team and win WDCs quickly were Alonso at Renault, Kimi at Ferrari (and only because McLaren botched it), and Lewis at Merc.

Edited by wood

53 minutes ago, RPM said:

Most of most of it, mostly.

It's simple. 

Alonso's moves to Renault from Minardi, to McLaren in 2007, Ferrari, and Aston Martin have been great moves in terms of predicting who's going to be fast. Alpine wasn't awesome, but what else was available to him when he returned? Availability is a huge factor, of course, and over at least the last 15 years, the teams with the top cars weren't looking for anyone to challenge their #1 drivers. ...

Spoiler

Alonso's made some very good picks of fast cars, and he's been good at leaving good teams when he knew they were about to become less competitive (Renault) or weren't going to compete for championships any time soon (Ferrari). He went to Renault and immediately won 2 WDCs and then left to the best car at McLaren in 2007 - a team that would have won multiple championships if managed correctly. He went back to Renault, but was already committed to Ferrari for 2010. At Ferrari, in the first 3 years he missed out on two championships against Red Bull, by a total of 7 points. When he picked Ferrari over Red Bull, nobody but Horner was saying he should go to Red Bull. When Michael retired and Lewis's McLaren contract ended after 2012 (lucky for him), Alonso was still locked up at Ferrari and in a fast car in its own right.  He wanted to win championships, and after a while he could see that Ferrari wasn't going anywhere soon, so he gambled on McLaren and lost. When he moved to McLaren and Alpine, it wouldn't have mattered much where he went if he wasn't going to a Merc or a Red Bull - unless Honda & McLaren came through. They didn't, but he wasn't gonna win championships at Ferrari without at least staying several more years after the six he'd already spent there. He definitely read the tea leaves right and got out of Alpine at the right time, and the move to Aston Martin was very well timed given their form since he got there. If Honda comes through this time, his extension there could pay off big.

The other guys that were in those winning cars didn't make some kind of inspired moves to get into them. Max, Vettel, and Nico were already in those teams for years before their major successes. Lewis desperately wanted out of McLaren and away from Ron Dennis, and Merc was his only landing spot. Merc needed to replace Schumi with a top driver, and Lewis was the only one available. 

41 minutes ago, RPM said:

AM working on the floor sitting on the grid. Can they do that? I thought it was Parc fermé.

They can do it if it's a repair/replacement of like for like parts and they get it approved.

Edited by wood

JPM sounds like a Simpson's character.

Aight. I'm out. I could watch this tonight, but then I'd be a veg tomorrow. I'll watch it with my kid tomorrow. Y'all enjoy!

Edited by wood

9 minutes ago, wood said:

It's simple. 

The joke went over your heard like Verstappen on Hamilton.

210912160203-hamilton-verstappen-crash-h

Most of what I meant to convey mostly was most of the use of most for the most part.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

The joke went over your heard like Verstappen on Hamilton. Most of what I meant to convey mostly was most of the use of most for the most part.

Ah, ok. Ain't nobody tryna win a Pullitzer up in the Surl. ;  )

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d be fuming if I was Daniel. What felt like the first weekend where he was putting it all together and could leave with momentum to build on, only to get stupidly punted by stroll and get a very harsh 3 grid penalty for the next race.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Fuckin’ Lance Stroll.

That idiot slammed on his brakes

10 seconds, what a joke

Dude is awful. He ruins so much out there.

And it looks even worse that his 42-year old teammate is so much more qualified, and sharper, than he.

Norris did a really nice job. The Ferraris were, okay, but, they have to be better. The sport is better when they are good. It is still amazing to see Mercedes not be a factor. They still need to make the Silver Arrows, Silver. Some shit luck for Piastri, too. 

And these guys all still want to keep out Andretti.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Time for Lance to go be ambassador of AM snack stand facilities or something. They can put bigger bumpers and collision avoidance alarms on his handtruck so he doesn’t get in a collision in the chicane between guest bathrooms and 2nd floor HR operations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, deft said:

Time for Lance to go be ambassador of AM snack stand facilities or something. They can put bigger bumpers and collision avoidance alarms on his handtruck so he doesn’t get in a collision in the chicane between guest bathrooms and 2nd floor HR operations.

200.gif

Just paint it Aston Martin Green and we are good to go!

Rollin’ Through The Hospitality Area.

Happy Formula 1 GIF by Aston Martin F1 Team

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, texas08 said:

Max sounds bored of winning on his post race in car little comments. Haha.

Just says whatever and fantastic job.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday after the sprint, too. One day when he goes to WEC or whatever, he's gonna be a beast. He and Alonso are talkiong about doing WEC together on the same team. Think about that for a second. 

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Netflix just released a DTS style show for the Indy Car series. It’s startling to see how minor league it is compared to F1.  I’m not talking AAA but more A ball

Still hasn't recovered from The Split. IndyCar was right there with F1 before that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In other news, man, Aston Martin should have put Fernando back on medium tires during that SC, but his run on mediums at the end was absolutely epic and almost covered that mistake. He was a rocket, and the save on the front straight ... just wow.  Should have been a Code Brown moment, but Fernando didn’t miss a beat. Immediately pressed the DRS button and got after Lewis.

Edited by wood

10 minutes ago, wood said:

Not to my knowledge. He's always had an edge that many people don't recognize though, imho.

I wonder if Danny feeling his seat getting hot, and the pressure to get better results, has made him be a little more outward with his emotions.  

In other news, man, Aston Martin should have gone with Hards for Fernando during that SC, but his run on  Mediums at the end was absolutely epic and almost covered that mistake. He was a rocket, and the save on the front straight ... just wow.

It was wild that he controlled that much of the sprint for so long and then boxed by the end. And for that matter, any time we talk about drs trains, it involves him. Is that good or bad?

I wonder if Danny feeling his seat getting hot, and the pressure to get better results, has made him be a little more outward with his emotions.  
Maybe, but he had a good weekend. Chance at points spoiled by Stroll, so I get it.