Small division playoffs this weekend game thread

Beau Vine

It’s incredibly rare for an HBCU to play in the FCS playoffs, as their conferences are not automatic qualifiers and need an at-large bid. I believe they typically opt-out even if they do get a bid, in order to play in the Celebration Bowl.  NC central did make the FCS playoffs this year but lost in round one.

Yes - teams like Southern and Grambling would opt out of the FCS playoffs, in order to play their matchup on national TV, usually held the first or second week of what would’ve been during the FCS playoffs.

Hook’em!!!

16 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The WSJ did a writeup on their star QB recently.  Computer science major from Magnolia. He picked the school for its academics and his ability to get playing time. 

He said no one back home really knew why he picked the school.  Half his jock friends thought he was going to school to be a mime.  

https://www.wsj.com/sports/football/colorado-school-of-mines-john-matocha-2c2ed199

The kid's a fucking legend... The first play on this clip... well, everyone in the stadium thought he broke his neck, but he popped up immediately:

GAYQmY1W8AAb2Z0?format=jpg&name=900x900ErbRUTl_?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, LTbear said:

Montana football is one of the largely unknown gems of the sport

PXL_20231118_2154488672-min.thumb.jpg.662c4f264aac5da196b68443590238b5.jpg

I almost died of frostbite there on 1995 when SFA played them and got destroyed 70-14. Got off the plane and it was 4 with a 30 mph wind. The game kickoff temp was like 6. We had no chance to compete in that weather. Great environment and fun city - went back in 2009 when it was a balmy 27. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

What the NCAA really needs to do is have these championships at the same site on the same weekend.  Two of them are already in DFW... You could play D3 on Friday night, D2 on Saturday afternoon, and 1AA on Saturday night.  Sell 3-game passes for $50, and you might have yourself a crowd.  But that probably makes way too much sense for the NCAA, who's completely preoccupied with trying to claw back money that's now going to the players.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

I find most fcs football just a cut above Texas 6A high school, but I admit once the playoffs begin there is some good football being played. This ND State squad could give some P5 teams issues.

It’s the worst bison team since 2010. Portal really depleted the talent after Trey Lance was drafted but they’ve found their stride on offense in the last month

That said

e576c1e559bcf232e57d6a5fb89d1950.jpg

I almost died of frostbite there on 1995 when SFA played them and got destroyed 70-14. Got off the plane and it was 4 with a 30 mph wind. The game kickoff temp was like 6. We had no chance to compete in that weather. Great environment and fun city - went back in 2009 when it was a balmy 27. 

Respect. I feel like I was getting updates from Sports Shack or Getaway at the time.

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Idiotic. Squib it or onside it, and Harding's taking a knee.

Down 35-0 at half.  Two shitty games in this time slot.

I played at Cortland in the mid-90s, so I’m a happy man today. Final score was 49-14, not 49-4.

IMG_4251.jpeg

Edited by HornPhD
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

For anyone that follows the smaller division college football FCS can you provide some insight.  I was looking at the ESPN score app and noticed there are 3 of 4 teams left all in the playoffs all from the Dakota’s.  South Dakota, South Dakota St, and North Dakota St.  I would never think of the Dakotas as a football hotbed at any level so how do these teams seem to do so well every year.  I seem to recall these teams in the championship in the past.  Where are teams from the South?  How do the Dakotas recruit better talent at that level than Texas teams?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Just another ugly day in Golden. 
20231209_134857.thumb.jpg.1cef4652d6bb914282ec8358cff97c23.jpg
Colorado (outside of freak blizzards that last for days every few years or so) along with Utah has the best winter weather in the country. I remember a 20f morning...standing on the balcony of a rental cabin, coffee cup in hand, wearing nothing more than sweatpants and a long sleeve T-shirt and being totally fine because I was bathed in the morning sunshine and low humidity.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, ApocalypseTexas said:

For anyone that follows the smaller division college football FCS can you provide some insight.  I was looking at the ESPN score app and noticed there are 3 of 4 teams left all in the playoffs all from the Dakota’s.  South Dakota, South Dakota St, and North Dakota St.  I would never think of the Dakotas as a football hotbed at any level so how do these teams seem to do so well every year.  I seem to recall these teams in the championship in the past.  Where are teams from the South?  How do the Dakotas recruit better talent at that level than Texas teams?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

They get the best players from those states, and they’re well supported as it’s the only thing going on up there. They also get underrecruited guys from all over the country especially the Midwest and West Coast. It’s an easy sell as they have a track record of success and of putting guys in the NFL, which most FCS schools don’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My son was at the NDSU beat down of U of South Dakota. He was in a concession line, and his Luckenbach koozie fell out of his pocket. He saw a Bison fan pick it up, so he told the guy it was his. The guy wouldn’t give it back, so instead of going NFL fan on him, my son showed him a phone pic taken in Luckenbach. I told him he should’ve told the guy, “Wtf, first you steal the Hook ‘em sign, now you steal Texas souvenirs, too?”

Cortland beat North Central 38-37 last night for the 2023 Division III Championship. The score was 7-3 NC at the half. The 2nd half was back and forth scoring with the Cortland D coming up big on a 2-point attempt with 1:20 left in the game. Cortland recovered the onside kick and got a first down on the ensuing play forcing NC to use their 2nd timeout.

Did the road trip with two of my college teammates and met a bunch more down there. We were crushing beers for about 12 hours tailgating and celebrating the win. Great day.

IMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.e3d30f142d4a4ad55df4594dc0ca8c12.jpeg

Edited by HornPhD
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Cortland beat North Central 38-37 last night for the 2023 Division III Championship. The score was 7-3 NC at the half. The 2nd half was back and forth scoring with the Cortland D coming up big on a 2-point attempt with 1:20 left in the game. Cortland recovered the onside kick and got a first down on the ensuing play forcing NC to use their 2nd timeout.

Did the road trip with two of my college teammates and met a bunch more down there. We were crushing beers for about 12 hours tailgating and celebrating the win. Great day.

IMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.e3d30f142d4a4ad55df4594dc0ca8c12.jpeg

That was a very entertaining second half. 

• Hook 'Em 1