Small division playoffs this weekend game thread

Beau Vine

One game this weekend?   Army-Navy?  ONE???! 

Nope, the lower divisions are all several weeks into their playoffs (they start with a lot more than 4 teams).  

Most of the FCS quarters are on ESPN Networks:

image.png.0e8162d1962722b316484eceebe52162.png

The D2 & D3 divisions are down to the semis, and their games are on ESPN+:

image.png.20d7af197459c0d938c30e59d3f7113f.png

image.png.9d8296777c0b4f4089aac2bf0c0e73d0.png

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I was going to clean the shed this weekend, but fuck it!

Totally going to watch me some FCS on Friday and Saturday. Fun times.

I am a little sad, however, that JMU, Sam Houston, SFA, etc have all jumped to FBS.

FCS playoffs seemingly is just the Dakotas, Montana, and Idaho championship.

Things will change again when the FBS is blown up by $ and CFP.... but the FCS playoffs are super fun regardless.

An aside, but if you guys have never gone to Idaho, Montana, or the Dakotas then you're missing out.

They feel like the last bit of 'the west' left. Gorgeous.

Go to Yellowstone. Go to Rushmore. Go to the Tetons. 

Outside of DC monuments, Independence Hall / the liberty bell, and Boston there was nothing more American I've ever done than to go to that part of our country. 

Our national parks and the vast beautiful open spaces of that part of the country truly are our cathedrals.

/aside

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I was going to clean the shed this weekend, but fuck it!

Totally going to watch me some FCS on Friday and Saturday. Fun times.

I am a little sad, however, that JMU, Sam Houston, SFA, etc have all jumped to FBS.

FCS playoffs seemingly is just the Dakotas, Montana, and Idaho championship.

Things will change again when the FBS is blown up by $ and CFP.... but the FCS playoffs are super fun regardless.

An aside, but if you guys have never gone to Idaho, Montana, or the Dakotas then you're missing out.

They feel like the last bit of 'the west' left. Gorgeous.

Go to Yellowstone. Go to Rushmore. Go to the Tetons. 

Outside of DC monuments, Independence Hall / the liberty bell, and Boston there was nothing more American I've ever done than to go to that part of our country. 

Our national parks and the vast beautiful open spaces of that part of the country truly are our cathedrals.

/aside

SFA is still FCS. I'm pissed they were so godawful this year and I had high hopes Carthel could have them not suck ass.

Narrator: They're fucking awful 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

SFA is still FCS. I'm pissed they were so godawful this year and I had high hopes Carthel could have them not suck ass.

Narrator: They're fucking awful 

Oh.I just assumed they were in FBS posting that 3-8 record.

Yikes!

Edited by Dnaguy

Oh so we’re just going to completely ignore NAIA?!?! I ignore it fairly well and I actually spent a year playing for one of their schools before deciding in two-days the following year that it would be more fun not getting a beat down every week and becoming a student assistant coach on the men’s basketball team instead.

https://www.naia.org/sports/fball/2023-24/releases/FCS_Results

I played against the Bethel College in McKenzie, Tennessee that apparently is now good at football (although they have been eliminated). Quite the game that was on a grass field shared with the local high school that had a big rebel painted on the grass. Tore that mascot up playing in 6 inches of rain that day. Semis are this week and Idaho also has a team left in it. The state of Iowa has a shot at a title as well. Maybe they’ll let Brian Ferentz join their staff next year as a quality control assistant or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Any HBCUs left?

It’s incredibly rare for an HBCU to play in the FCS playoffs, as their conferences are not automatic qualifiers and need an at-large bid. I believe they typically opt-out even if they do get a bid, in order to play in the Celebration Bowl.  NC central did make the FCS playoffs this year but lost in round one.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:32 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Any idea of televised games?  My coworker's kid plays OL for Mines.  

The WSJ did a writeup on their star QB recently.  Computer science major from Magnolia. He picked the school for its academics and his ability to get playing time. 

He said no one back home really knew why he picked the school.  Half his jock friends thought he was going to school to be a mime.  

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s incredibly rare for an HBCU to play in the FCS playoffs, as their conferences are not automatic qualifiers and need an at-large bid. I believe they typically opt-out even if they do get a bid, in order to play in the Celebration Bowl.  NC central did make the FCS playoffs this year but lost in round one.

Did Deion ever make any postseason noise? Feels like the answer is no but maybe I'm wrong

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

D2 Benedict College went undefeated, got the 1 seed in their region and lost their first game for the 2nd year in a row.

Edited by Beau Vine

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

D2 Benedict College went undefeated, got the 1 seed in their region and lost their first game for the 2nd year in a row.

I definitely and totally knew before right now that there were HBCUs that competed outside the MEAC and the SWAC. What are you trying to say about me?

• Beau Vine changed the title to Small division playoffs this weekend game thread
5 hours ago, Helobious said:

No his teams never went to the playoffs, even after being 12-0 in 2022. Not sure if they got a bid. 

No they would never have gotten one because the SWAC thinks of themselves as the Ivy League of the HBCU’s and would rather have a conference title game and then a bid to that Celebration Bowl debacle every year. It’s so silly and it’s one of the biggest reasons HBCU’s are always behind other schools athletically.