All Big12 Team

joeycovers

Gary Johnson is gonna be on the post season list.  Hopefully LJH or Collin Johnson blow up enough to be on that end of season list as well.  However, winning is more important than these lists.  Hopefully the team takes a step forward while doing what it takes to win the close games this year.  

39 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

How does Tech have more players on the D than we do?  And zero on O?

never thought I'd see the day when Defensive players were Tech's hope for a solid year.

Past 10-15 years, graduation was actually seen as a blessing of renewal.

Not sure our D is going to live up to the hype, but they have been so very young the past 2 years.  The weird part is that QB has been a gimme for Tech from the latter years of Spike Dykes until the last go around with Shimonek.  If the QB struggles, we gonna suck.  If the offense produces anything reasonable for Tech standards, the Red raiders will be competitive.

6 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Inconsistent with the current stereotype, TT defense was not really all that awful last year.  In conference games alone, they finished 6th overall in yards allowed--only 20 yards behind the 4th place finisher. They have everybody back 

I guess it serves your purpose as far as saying they're not terrible, but total yards allowed is a bad metric for measuring defensive quality. 

Kansas has as many as Texas, if you wanna go that route.

9 defenders from the state of Texas.  The offense is a little more well rounded, with regard to home state.

14 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Inconsistent with the current stereotype, TT defense was not really all that awful last year.  In conference games alone, they finished 6th overall in yards allowed--only 20 yards behind the 4th place finisher. They have everybody back 

Isn't the entire O-line back too?  I actually think Tech may surprise some people this year.  They will be no worse than above average at QB because of Kliff and their defense could be pretty darn good.  Add a decent O-line to the mix and they could be top 4 in the conference.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I guess it serves your purpose as far as saying they're not terrible, but total yards allowed is a bad metric for measuring defensive quality. 

Well, if your preferred yardstick is points allowed, they finished 6th there as well, 3 points behind the 4th place finisher.

My point is hardly that they were some killer, monster of a defense, but rather they were pretty consistent with the norm in Big 12 defenses last season.  They were so bad for so long, it seems many believe that's still the case.

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Two Texas guys: Breck and Boyd.

Nobody on offense. I hope it inspires some folks.

It probably has to do with the fact our offense is garbage and has been for 8 years. I’m sure Tim Beck will turn things around this year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

Isn't the entire O-line back too?  I actually think Tech may surprise some people this year.  They will be no worse than above average at QB because of Kliff and their defense could be pretty darn good.  Add a decent O-line to the mix and they could be top 4 in the conference.

Yep, all the O-line returns, but I honesty don't think they're that good.  Ultimately, seems to me this season will go as the QB goes.

Agree Kliff knows how to coach up a QB, but there are major concerns about the individuals involved.  Duffy has got some real skills, but many questions remain pertaining to non-football issues.  I just don't think Carter is good enough.  While Bowman has been a really nice surprise, he is after all a true freshman (did go through spring practice last year though).

Overall, i look for the defense to be some better and the offense to be worse.  No experienced WR's either.

30 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Yep, all the O-line returns, but I honesty don't think they're that good.  Ultimately, seems to me this season will go as the QB goes.

Agree Kliff knows how to coach up a QB, but there are major concerns about the individuals involved.  Duffy has got some real skills, but many questions remain pertaining to non-football issues.  I just don't think Carter is good enough.  While Bowman has been a really nice surprise, he is after all a true freshman (did go through spring practice last year though).

Overall, i look for the defense to be some better and the offense to be worse.  No experienced WR's either.

Duffey sounds like he's getting Kliff's Manziel treatment - show up for the pregame walkthrough and I won't ask any questions about where you were all week.

57 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Duffey sounds like he's getting Kliff's Manziel treatment - show up for the pregame walkthrough and I won't ask any questions about where you were all week.

I am among KK's biggest detractors. Think he should be gone.  I will say though, he's not above running off a player even if it hurts some.  See the recent dismissal of Quan Shorts, a WR with some talent and a little experience on a team without much WR experience to speak of.

True or not I have no idea, bit have heard Sumlin was Manziel's bodyguard.

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Kliff apparently telling Manziel stories out of school on barstool podcast.  Ags don't like it a bit. https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2961540

That Halloween, Manziel was famously photographed dancing with a woman while wearing a Scooby-Doo costume at a party. According to Kingsbury, who was A&M's offensive coordinator at the time, the photo was taken the day before the Aggies were set to leave for Mississippi State.

Manziel missed the team's offensive meeting that morning. Kingsbury said he and the staff were trying to cover for the star quarterback, hoping he can at least make it to the final walkthrough in College Station. We'll let Kingsbury take it from here:

"Johnny has some crazy excuse. His roommate pulled the plug on his alarm clock, or something, electricity. But we already know what he's been doing.

"So he misses the offensive meeting, trots out to walkthrough -- Coach Sumlin (former coach Kevin Sumlin) doesn't know at this point that he's late -- goes through the walkthrough, probably, I think, still a little intoxicated at that point.

"We do our deal, (he) gets on the plane, goes to Starkville, plays the best game I've ever seen. At that point, I'm like, 'This kid is not human.'"

Manziel was 30-of-36 passing for 311 yards and rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns in a 38-13 win over the No. 17 Bulldogs. He eventually won the Heisman that year and let the Aggies to their first top-five finish in the final Associated Press poll since 1956.

Between gamedays, one rarely knew what they were going to get from Manziel, as Kingsbury's story indicates. But on Saturdays that season, Manziel nearly always delivered, which is probably why staffers didn't mind covering for him.

Factually incorrect is disingenuous. No one has had 3 consecutive losing seasons right?  That is factually correct and makes an extremely strong case for being the worst at Texas

Edited by Lhorn

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Factually incorrect. He had more career wins than several previous coaches. 

Yeah, 11 of them only coached for one season because that's how shit was done back then. You coached a year, then you left. Hell, Frank Crawford never lost a game at Texas, and he left too. He coached 6 football seasons...at 5 universities. Of the 16 coaches who have fewer wins to their name than one Charles Strong, 9 of them didn't even coach 10 games and none of the 7 who did got to 30 (Strong coached in 37 games). And btw, all 16 of those coaches, including the terrible Jack Chevigny, had better winning percentages than Strong did, as did every other coach beyond what I just went over. Charlie Strong's .433 winning percentage is the worst in Texas history, which renders your charge of "factually incorrect" to be factually incorrect. He most certainly was Texas' worst coach ever. Worst winning percentage, never had a .500+ season, never won a bowl game. Or to put the ball in your court:

if Charlie Strong wasn't the worst HC ever, then who the fuck was?

Edited by hpslugga

On 7/11/2018 at 3:12 PM, zork said:

Gary Johnson is gonna be on the post season list.  Hopefully LJH or Collin Johnson blow up enough to be on that end of season list as well.  However, winning is more important than these lists.  Hopefully the team takes a step forward while doing what it takes to win the close games this year.  

Gary, Malcolm, LJH, and Sam will all be on this list at year-end.  Gary and Malcolm are more important and better defensive players than Breck.

49 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Yeah, 11 of them only coached for one season because that's how shit was done back then. You coached a year, then you left. Hell, Frank Crawford never lost a game at Texas, and he left too. He coached 6 football seasons...at 5 universities. Of the 16 coaches who have fewer wins to their name than one Charles Strong, 9 of them didn't even coach 10 games and none of the 7 who did got to 30 (Strong coached in 37 games). And btw, all 16 of those coaches, including the terrible Jack Chevigny, had better winning percentages than Strong did, as did every other coach beyond what I just went over. Charlie Strong's .433 winning percentage is the worst in Texas history, which renders your charge of "factually incorrect" to be factually incorrect. He most certainly was Texas' worst coach ever. Worst winning percentage, never had a .500+ season, never won a bowl game. Or to put the ball in your court:

if Charlie Strong wasn't the worst HC ever, then who the fuck was?

It’s Charlie and it’s indisputable. Helobius just so wants it to not be true that’s grasping.  

23 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

It does help that in every possible measure, he was the worst coach in the history of Texas football.

Those two clauses aren’t really related. I’d like to have good players regardless of who recruited them.

You can’t blame Strong for only 2 players on this list and then turn around and say it “helps” that several of his good ones are now gone. Pick one or the other.

31 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It’s Charlie and it’s indisputable. Helobius just so wants it to not be true that’s grasping.  

The first guy said he was the worst “by every metric imaginable”, which simply isn’t true if you’re going off who won the most games. The correct thing to say would’ve been “by almost any metric”, or “by every meaningful metric”. Hyperbole has no home on this site. 

50 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The first guy said he was the worst “by every metric imaginable”, which simply isn’t true if you’re going off who won the most games. The correct thing to say would’ve been “by almost any metric”, or “by every meaningful metric”. Hyperbole has no home on this site. 

Again, number of wins isn't really a metric because it has limited historic parallels and it doesn't tell the whole story (percentage is way more important). Fielding Yost, for example, won 198 games, and it was out of 245 which gave him a winning percentage over 80. All of that is impressive, especially considering that it took him 29 seasons to do it, which translates to 7 wins a year. Find a coach that can last a single school for 25 years winning just 7 games per season in the present era. 

When you consider that some guys coached as few as 5 games in a season and Charlie was coaching fucking 12, getting 16 wins means precious little when your winning percentage is fucking .433, and it means even less when almost every pre-WW2 UT HC coached only for one year regardless of how good that one year was. What you're suggesting is analogous to "well this guy was the greatest QB in football history because he has the most passing attempts." The fact that he won 16 games elevates him over absolutely no one. You show me a person who thinks that Strong was better than Frank Crawford and I'll show you a professional bullshit artist.

That's not hyperbole at all.

Edited by hpslugga

On 7/12/2018 at 1:29 AM, pigmeat markham said:

Manziel was 30-of-36 passing for 311 yards and rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns in a 38-13 win over the No. 17 Bulldogs. He eventually won the Heisman that year and let the Aggies to their first top-five finish in the final Associated Press poll since 1956.

I think this says a lot about how A&M traditionally underperforms with the bevy of talent in the area... Of course, getting your tail handed to you by UT 75% of the time will do that...