2024 Texas High School Football

BurntOrange&White

On 2/21/2024 at 9:37 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Would have thought Eastside EC would do it before LASA. Eastside is a waste of everyone's Friday night at this point. Feel sorry for the few kids who care for them.

Eastside shut down their varsity program in 2021 for a year.  I think they were back for 2022-24 but they played in an all-Austin ISD league.  They got crushed by other AISD schools for two years.  They are now in 4A with some Austin and some non-Austin schools, and they are probably going to be crushed for two more years by smaller schools.  Eastside is only slightly smaller than Austin LBJ, but LBJ has a focus on football.

LASA has some decent sports, but football isn't one of them.  They went to state for the first time last year in tennis.  They may do well in non-contact sports like tennis, diving, maybe cross country.  They have the worst high school building in AISD, the second lowest percentage of poor kids, and tons of homework, so any kids that want to play sports need something that is more individual.  The parents have the resources to pay for coaching.  They don't have team training facilities or decent fields like you would find at Westlake, LT, or really any school west of AISD.  Or north of AISD.  Or south or east.

Eastside has a cool stadium that hopefully AISD will renovate as part of the 2022 bond.  It's a historic on-campus stadium and it was the only stadium for Black students in Austin during segregation.  Most of the seating is on one side, but that side is a nice hillside with downtown views.  Lots of potential for fun Friday night lights at a smaller school.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Eastside shut down their varsity program in 2021 for a year.  I think they were back for 2022-24 but they played in an all-Austin ISD league.  They got crushed by other AISD schools for two years.  They are now in 4A with some Austin and some non-Austin schools, and they are probably going to be crushed for two more years by smaller schools.  Eastside is only slightly smaller than Austin LBJ, but LBJ has a focus on football.

LASA has some decent sports, but football isn't one of them.  They went to state for the first time last year in tennis.  They may do well in non-contact sports like tennis, diving, maybe cross country.  They have the worst high school building in AISD, the second lowest percentage of poor kids, and tons of homework, so any kids that want to play sports need something that is more individual.  The parents have the resources to pay for coaching.  They don't have team training facilities or decent fields like you would find at Westlake, LT, or really any school west of AISD.  Or north of AISD.  Or south or east.

Eastside has a cool stadium that hopefully AISD will renovate as part of the 2022 bond.  It's a historic on-campus stadium and it was the only stadium for Black students in Austin during segregation.  Most of the seating is on one side, but that side is a nice hillside with downtown views.  Lots of potential for fun Friday night lights at a smaller school.

ahh... didn't realize they paused in 2021... Hopefully the move to 4A works much better for them. Suiting up less than 20 or so players in 5A football definitely wasn't ideal for anyone.

20 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yeah...on Cameron. 

Not much UIL could do I guess. North Shore coach mentioned that about 90% of the players in his football program attended a GPISD middle school and that this was an “isolated incident”. 

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not much UIL could do I guess. North Shore coach mentioned that about 90% of the players in his football program attended a GPISD middle school and that this was an “isolated incident”. 

But isn't that part of what the do when recruiting? Move them to the district in middle school? lol

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But isn't that part of what the do when recruiting? Move them to the district in middle school? lol

Yeah but it’s harder to track at that level, and I don’t even know if that’s against the rules. 

Also “90%” was really 78%. 18 out of 80 players being high school transfers seems like a significant amount to me, but realistically most large high school football teams probably have similar numbers

The district tracked every varsity player from the seventh grade on and, according to their report, determined 60 of the 80 athletes on the roster came from Galena Park ISD feeder schools. Another 15 enrolled at North Shore as freshmen or sophomores. Two were previously at the district feeder schools before moving away and returning, and only three came from other schools as upperclassmen. With those numbers in hand, the district concluded Cameron’s action were isolated incidents and that none of the players currently in the program had been recruited to enroll at North Shore.

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah but it’s harder to track at that level, and I don’t even know if that’s against the rules. 

Also “90%” was really 78%. 18 out of 80 players being high school transfers seems like a significant amount to me, but realistically most large high school football teams probably have similar numbers

Ironically the best player to live in their attendance zone in recent years didn't go there 

Was apparently at a house party, when another group of teens that had been kicked out fired indiscriminately at the house from a block away before fleeing in a car. What the fuck is wrong with people.

https://abc13.com/teen-fatally-shot-humble-shooting-fieldwick-lane-airbnb-party/14510602/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook#ltlsfceb9e8cvfx87ib

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Was apparently at a house party, when another group of teens that had been kicked out fired indiscriminately at the house from a block away before fleeing in a car. What the fuck is wrong with people.

https://abc13.com/teen-fatally-shot-humble-shooting-fieldwick-lane-airbnb-party/14510602/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook#ltlsfceb9e8cvfx87ib

Advertising the party on social media is actually a really good idea. It usually attracts the best sort of people. 

Got kicked out of the party so they fired shots into the house. That's a pretty normal reaction. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:26 AM, Helobious said:

UIL brought the hammer down 

On 2/28/2024 at 3:14 PM, Helobious said:

They should definitely forfeit their game vs Westlake.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

He did this for football or did his family actually have to move

That Mettauer QB is graduating so I guess Quanell didn’t have faith in the replacement for next year. I don’t know if North Shore was the right move though as they aren’t really ones to sling it around a ton. 

That Mettauer QB is graduating so I guess Quanell didn’t have faith in the replacement for next year. I don’t know if North Shore was the right move though as they aren’t really ones to sling it around a ton. 

They all “sling it around”, so the move is definitely in question.

Hook’em!!!

Posted (edited)

The national 4×100 record set by FW Wyatt 26 years went down this weekend by 2 teams in the same race. Duncanville (ft D Moore) went 39.65 and Atascocita ran a completely absurd 38.92.

Jelani Watkins is the fastest high schooler Ive ever seen

Edited by cmontexas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

58 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

The national 4×100 record set by FW Wyatt 26 years went down this weekend by 2 teams in the same race. Duncanville (ft D Moore) went 39.65 and Atascocita ran a completely absurd 38.92.

Jelani Watkins is the fastest high schooler Ive ever seen

I was there.  Perfect conditions and a perfectly executed race.  Texas (Houston in particular) has some serious speed.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah he got me. What kind of person over the age of 10 still does April fools? 

All the recruits lol. Happens just about every year. Shoot some hs twitter page said Duncanville was traveling to Alaska to play a school for week 1. Half of Twitter thought it was true. Pretty funny tho 

I really like the new district for Lampasas. I think they win that district and the region. Jett Walker will have a really big year running and Ty Johnson is looking at having his coming out party as a sophomore. He’s a rare talent for the Badgers that is going to wind up setting every receiving record Lampasas has.

Posted (edited)

Charlie Reeve named the new head coach at Calallen HS. He led Victoria East to an 8-4 record last year and a 42-7 playoff loss to PSJA North that was way closer than the scoreboard indicated. Solid hire. 

Edited by Helobious

On 4/8/2024 at 7:51 PM, Helobious said:

Charlie Reeve named the new head coach at Calallen HS. He led Victoria East to an 8-4 record last year and a 42-7 playoff loss to PSJA North that was way closer than the scoreboard indicated. Solid hire. 

As a Calallen taxpayer/booster/ parent of former athletes, I like the hire.