Surly Horns State of Things End 2023

immamac

On 1/31/2024 at 2:26 PM, safe sex said:

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past." - Sartre

This applies to bigotries of almost all kinds

On 1/31/2024 at 2:31 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is a perspective that perhaps needs further discussion with respect to the topic. To step away from that for just a second, though, some other thoughts...

Most collegiate sports message boards are +87% male. Among those males, a higher percentage are white, possess at minimum a bachelor's degree, and around 40% earn a higher than average salary of $100K/year.*

Considering that the applied, admitted, enrolled data for the University of Texas (Austin campus only) shows that since at least 2013 (as far back as their dashboard goes--they have more data but the dashboard is quick and easy), Texas has enrolled an average of 52.8% female students. Of those females going back the decade, they're an average of 40% Hispanic identified ethnicity. Whereas, the percentage of males enrolled since 2013 averages to 47.2%. Of those males, ~35% enrolled were Hispanic, 26% White, 18% Asian-American, 11% Black or African-American, 6% Intl, and Other had no figures/were identifiable.

Those numbers matter depending upon what you want your site to be and what your goals are. I enjoy the site and (most) of the posters, but it's not really welcoming to females and that's +50% of your graduates right there. That may not concern you and that's okay too. It's an observation based on the data from the UT campus. Focusing on males, there were 2,364 enrolled (freshmen) for 2023. Over the last decade, that number is 19,133. Presuming everyone graduates that enrolled, from 2013-2023, that is 21,404 females to 19,133 males.

Given some of those numbers and percentages, it might be that Neonmoon's comment is not out of line. What makes the culture of Surly appealing is its infinite capacity for debate, discussion, diatribes, and devil-may-care digs, but boundaries--should they exist? Or not? That may determine engagement among the lurkers you try and attract or repel. Edit: and @safe sex had a beautiful response that came as I was typing.

This is not meant as an attack on the site. I've gotten a lot of joy from hanging around here.

*This was taken from a paper in the Intl. Journal of Sports Communication

Damn we need more posters like these. Smart women are sexy women.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@immamac where does surly officially stand on using slurs like "retard" or "schizo" as a personal attack on other posters repeatedly? I get that surly is a place for shithousery, but where's your line between being toxic and rough housing? Especially across a period of several months?

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

@immamac where does surly officially stand on using slurs like "retard" or "schizo" as a personal attack on other posters repeatedly? I get that surly is a place for shithousery, but where's your line between being toxic and rough housing? Especially across a period of several months?

don't be a dick about it and bump threads that have nothing to do with your bump. Report the posts, "retard" is obviously not acceptable stop being obtuse. 

also for what it's worth Burnt Ends subs are way down to the point of us reducing the deal this year and overall revenue is down as well, not really much movement on true sub numbers compared to burnt ends subs, but ad revenue has continued to go down and not stabilize.

Tailgate definitely won't be free this year. 

• Rage+1 1

I think it seems to be reasonably "community policed."  We see nasty words and insults frequently typed out, but usually directed at some public figure (politician, OU coach, entertainer).  And most of us have been directly called "names/bad words" by others before.  But yeah, if stuff like that is consistently pointed at an individual, that's a little too much even for this deranged space.  Yet another thing that if Immamac wants to implement some sorta policy related to consistent usage of toxic terminology directed at people, I think we'd all be happy to oblige.  I don't know what that kinda 'digital search' deal looks like, and he probably doesn't need the burden of developing it.  'Cause then people get all cute and say "You're a Skizo" or a "Regard" or "Kilp Yourself" and that kinda shit.  I think he and the mods do an excellent job, and the vast majority of us do a good job self-policing.  My only issue is when people disclose people's real names, but Immamac takes care of that pretty quick.  And because I typed that, within the next month or two, Rex Kramer/porterhouse will say he has me on ignore and then post my real name as he has for the last 5 or 6 springs in a row.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

also for what it's worth Burnt Ends subs are way down to the point of us reducing the deal this year and overall revenue is down as well, not really much movement on true sub numbers compared to burnt ends subs, but ad revenue has continued to go down and not stabilize.

Tailgate definitely won't be free this year. 

Are there that many people that drop their subscription?  I would think once you're in, you would tend to stay put - especially with the results on the field of late.  Also - I would guess that the inception of Texas One Fund ate into your subscriber base.   I don't claim to have the answers but maybe create a higher level with some added things like player meet and greets etc...  Maybe an opportunity for subscribers to purchase tickets to one time events.

Don't judge.  I would but anything remotely related to UT sports on a monthly credit card bill, my wife would assume that I was paying to attend booze-fueled events (NTTAWWT), and I can't do that at this point in my life anymore.  Some of us have very open financial channels with partners and don't want them reading some of the shit we post.  

Anyhow, Imma............I know the Smith Bros. well if there's any ideas how to coordinate with One Texas.  I think I connected you with Ricky at T-Man.  And I think we had one other mutual conversation with Exes ED as they're navigating their NIL/HookedIn platform.  I drop the ball on shit all the time, but there's some opportunities in there to drive revenue.  I'm just not smart enough to see them.  But if you've got any other avenues that I can help make deep introductions for, just say the word.  For some bizarre reason, people over there still trust me.  For now.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Or you could like...tell your wife what it's for

She and I talk  about my issues and recovery plenty.  I just don't need her reading the rest of my twisted shit on here.  But she is justified in wondering why I'm donating money to a site (she doesn't give a shit what NIL is, it would sound like a relapse excuse to her) that I used to get fucked up at the events of.  I drop cash in the tailgate deal in person these days for the food and rental, and am happy to help in other ways.  It's one less worry I want to take off her plate.  Obviously the donation doesn't straight to booze, but she knows this unruly lot well enough to know it might be a trigger for me, she doesn't need any additional worry.  We stopped having separate credit cards and shit a long time ago so everything is nice and transparent as it should be.    What I can help the site owners with would be far more valuable than a stressed out, relationship-strained Lobo.  We've all seen what that looks like, no need for a reboot.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, safe sex said:

It's fucking ridiculous how many people have post counts in the 1000s that won't throw Surly $3.50/month 

Well, imma called me a “whiney bitch” and said he could “give 2 fucks” about me subscribing when I dared to give feedback about ads on a thread he started to solicit feedback about ads so I’ve taken that to heart and never subscribed. When the owner was clear that he doesn’t want/need my money, I listened.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

Well, imma called me a “whiney bitch” and said he could “give 2 fucks” about me subscribing when I dared to give feedback about ads on a thread he started to solicit feedback about ads so I’ve taken that to heart and never subscribed. When the owner was clear that he doesn’t want/need my money, I listened.

That's fair

On 4/10/2024 at 9:15 AM, royiv said:

Weird that subs aren’t what the last post was about. It was about the NIL program called Burnt Ends. Specifically not Treefiddy. 

19 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Economic conditions are well known. And they are not bad. Your loss of subscribers is due to something else.

you mean lots of tech people getting laid off and literally telling me in DM that money is tight so they have to cancel? Those reasons? 

Treefiddy subs are UP YoY so sorry to shit on your narrative about the site being fucked and me being a shithead who runs everyone off. 

Also traffic is up YoY and looks like it’ll be the biggest year going into summer from offseason ever. Ad rates globally are down especially display, this has nothing to do with me or the site.

Tailgate was funded by the lack of need to gross up Burnt Ends with money earmarked for that. this year looks like I’ll have to cover out of pocket to gross them up to what we want to be the minimum of 10k per

Alabama was 13k+ the full season just for the spot was ~16k plus all the food and bev on top of that which was 500-800 PER GAME. 

Surly was also title sponsor for sugar bowl and that was another 8k, but it was a ~250k gate party where all profit went to NIL. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

The reason I’m a bit ornery about some of these posts is I’m trying to be transparent and give relevant updates to the community and some individuals legitimately cannot handle transparency and want to make it about me. The posts aren’t about me or anything that is going on with me. It’s about the community and the health of the programs that it sponsors.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The reason I’m a bit ornery about some of these posts is I’m trying to be transparent and give relevant updates to the community and some individuals legitimately cannot handle transparency and want to make it about me. The posts aren’t about me or anything that is going on with me. It’s about the community and the health of the programs that it sponsors.

I wasn't making it about you.

I would also like add, if you aren't getting shot at, you aren't in the fight. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

Weird that subs aren’t what the last post was about. It was about the NIL program called Burnt Ends. Specifically not Treefiddy. 

Go back and see the post that I was specifically replying to. It was about subs.

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Go back and see the post that I was specifically replying to. It was about subs.

Mine wasn’t. I have never and will never hold the position of users needing to subscribe. It’s not that I don’t want your money it’s that if you don’t want to subscribe good for you everyone sub or not is welcome here and has the same status. It’s why the legacy members who signed up in 2018 get no ads except cloak room. (Honestly don’t even know that I’m showing them in CR to them) 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I wasn't making it about you.

I would also like add, if you aren't getting shot at, you aren't in the fight. 

Apparently the econmy is great. And yet you're not a Burnt Ends Member, or a Tree Fiddy member. Are you just fucking poor, or are you a fucking shithead, or both? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i feel like it's always worth noting when certain posters acknowledge things like the economy is actually doing pretty well lol. 

I also said it’s “strange” which is definitely true. There is unanimous agreement that these are strange economic times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The economy is considerably better than it has been in many years since the Shag started. Including last year, ‘21 and certainly ‘20. 

It’s been said before, but the nature and dominance of the CR hard left lean is the primary reason for your difficulty with fund raising. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

The economy is considerably better than it has been in many years since the Shag started. Including last year, ‘21 and certainly ‘20. 

It’s been said before, but the nature and dominance of the CR hard left lean is the primary reason for your difficulty with fund raising. 

Can none of you read? Sub numbers aren’t down they are up for money TO SURLY. The money TO NIL is down. Specifically the $600/year tier and $300/year tiers. The $10/mo tier is more or less stable. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Can none of you read? Sub numbers aren’t down they are up for money TO SURLY. The money TO NIL is down. Specifically the $600/year tier and $300/year tiers. The $10/mo tier is more or less stable. 

Coming in via Surlyhorns. I don’t distinguish between monthly / yearly dues and where the money goes. Maybe I should?  I guess I don’t understand your distinction. 

Is there another “sub” that goes to Surly’s deposit account and not NIL?

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Coming in via Surlyhorns. I don’t distinguish between monthly / yearly dues and where the money goes. Maybe I should?  I guess I don’t understand your distinction. 

Is there another “sub” that goes to Surly’s deposit account and not NIL?

There is literally 2 fucking different god damned products you imbecile. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Holy shit you're stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

There is literally 2 fucking different god damned products you imbecile. 

Explain to me, like I’m 11, the distinction as it pertains to my point. People have a choice how to provide NIL funds.  I know several diehard buddies that are wealthy that specifically will not route funds through Surly.  It has become too political.

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Holy shit you're stupid

All of your brethren seem to think so. I would expect no less. Many of you will never see how most view this camp, and how it deters discourse, membership, subscription, and NIL money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

All of your brethren seem to think so. I would expect no less. Many of you will never see how most view this camp, and how it deters discourse, membership, subscription, and NIL money.

Wut? You are texags, bro.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I know several diehard buddies that are wealthy that specifically will not route funds through Surly.  It has become too political.

I mean, as long as it's going to Horns, does it matter who the NIL money is going through? Seems weird to base your college football enthusiasm on other people's politics. 

40 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Many of you will never see how most view this camp, and how it deters discourse, membership, subscription, and NIL money.

Lol the last time people were complaining about "moderation harming discourse" some water head bought Twitter and ruined it by opening the flood gates to the most reprehensible people possible. The communities of Shaggy and Surly have endured because they don't kowtow to whatever the biggest wallet says should happen, and it has pretty good community policing of bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, as long as it's going to Horns, does it matter who the NIL money is going through? Seems weird to base your college football enthusiasm on other people's politics. 

Ask imma. Responding to his post. As to your second sentence, no, that’s human nature. 

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol the last time people were complaining about "moderation harming discourse" some water head bought Twitter and ruined it by opening the flood gates to the most reprehensible people possible. The communities of Shaggy and Surly have endured because they don't kowtow to whatever the biggest wallet says should happen, and it has pretty good community policing of bullshit.

Shaggy was different than Surly. But of course Republicans are far more ridiculous now - I get it. But, independent to right-leaning people (a BIG part of the UT’s world) would view CR’s cabal as pretty reprehensible. And no, we’ve done a pretty poor job policing that. Your community, of course, hasn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Texags is a village of idiots. Blind loyalty, redass till death. That's their brand.

The front door for this website is football. But the football forum is not even close to the busiest forum, not even during football season. Not even when we are winning bigly.

The Shaggy/Surly brand, this may be shocking, used to be that you could find intelligent people from all perspectives engaged in rational discussion. And tits.

The football brought people in, they stayed for rational and interesting discussion across a wide variety of topics. Now a small contingent of posters are engaged in spree negrepping across every forum. They are also the ones engaged in 95% of the name calling on the site. The site has become an intellectual ghetto in the same way that Texags is. Except our "brand" requires intelligent discussion. The site would grow a lot more if that was still around. But it isn't because of the rep system. Half of your potential customers prefer Trump over Biden. People don't necessarily mind conflict, but they will get banned as a result of spree repping.

Like MJ said, "Republicans buy shoes too". 

I don't pay because I know I management does not want me here. Also because I go years without posting. 

I'd like to see a table of all posters in rank order of number of negreps. I guarantee that with numbers that exceed the median by 100x, the posters with the most negreps are all TDS sufferers. I would guess JimmyJazz has the highest number.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Texags is a village of idiots. Blind loyalty, redass till death. That's their brand.

The front door for this website is football. But the football forum is not even close to the busiest forum, not even during football season. Not even when we are winning bigly.

The Shaggy/Surly brand, this may be shocking, used to be that you could find intelligent people from all perspectives engaged in rational discussion. And tits.

The football brought people in, they stayed for rational and interesting discussion across a wide variety of topics. Now a small contingent of posters are engaged in spree negrepping across every forum. They are also the ones engaged in 95% of the name calling on the site. The site has become an intellectual ghetto in the same way that Texags is. Except our "brand" requires intelligent discussion. The site would grow a lot more if that was still around. But it isn't because of the rep system. Half of your potential customers prefer Trump over Biden. People don't necessarily mind conflict, but they will get banned as a result of spree repping.

Like MJ said, "Republicans buy shoes too". 

I don't pay because I know I management does not want me here. Also because I go years without posting. 

I'd like to see a table of all posters in rank order of number of negreps. I guarantee that with numbers that exceed the median by 100x, the posters with the most negreps are all TDS sufferers. I would guess JimmyJazz has the highest number.

Who won the 2020 election?

you both are complete morons who have no data and are making up random shit. 

The fact that you can't discern between a literal subscription called treefiddy and a specific NIL program that has it's own landing page and specific entitlements and a guarantee that we have not only lived up to but exceeded from paying out 100% of the proceeds is actually so fucking stupid it's insulting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, immamac said:

The fact that you can't discern between a literal subscription called treefiddy and a specific NIL program that has it's own landing page and specific entitlements and a guarantee that we have not only lived up to but exceeded from paying out 100% of the proceeds is actually so fucking stupid it's insulting. 

Cool. You have the data. Who are the five posters who have handed the most negrep?

I will give $100 the Burnt Ends and sign up for TreeFiddy is the top five most active negreppers are not TDS sufferers. Also if JimmyJazz is not on the list.

Edited by Thetexashammer

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m fine posting here not gettting along with you. I had a meltdown in ‘21 or so and asked you to nuke my posts. You did. Thanks.

But I don’t understand why you’re so sensitive if I’m just talking out of my ass and am a “moron” an “imbecile” and “so fucking stupid it’s insulting”. Why do you care then?  It’s the economy - and I’m 100% wrong - even though the economy is decent. 

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

I’m fine posting here not gettting along with you. I had a meltdown in ‘21 or so and asked you to nuke my posts. You did. Thanks.

But I don’t understand why you’re so sensitive if I’m just talking out of my ass and am a “moron” an “imbecile” and “so fucking stupid it’s insulting”. Why do you care then?  It’s the economy - and I’m 100% wrong - even though the economy is decent. 

you are 100% wrong because people tell me why they are downgrading or canceling. I said the economy was strange which it fucking is. You are actually not reading any of my posts or the data I'm giving you and making up some narrative and I've actually explained why I'm so ornery in an entire post dedicated to why. You are literally a fucking moron who cannot read and is so stupid it's insulting the rest of us. Stop posting.