Cowboys v Lions

rage-a-holic

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Holy fucking shit. Postgame, 70 said he never said a word to the ref on that play. You can actually seem him make that argument on the sidelines as well. 

This was a DESIGNED play. These players practiced it. They know their duties. It was so planned that Campbell discussed it with the refs BEFORE the goddamn game. It was a bit of gamesmanship that 3 OL were supposed to go up to the ref to confuse Dallas. Is it necessary? I don't now. Is it stupid? Maybe. Who fucking cares. That is no the issue, dude.

If the fucking ref did his job and reported 68 correctly, maybe the Cowboy defense doesn't pay close attention and properly defend 68. That's what Detroit is probably hoping for. Maybe if the fucking ref did his job and reported 68, maybe Dallas D defends him well and picks off the ball for a 2 point return and they win by 3. I don't fucking know. 

All is know is THE REF FUCKED UP.  T

Wild that you’re only screaming about this mistake and not the botched call on the 1st down run following the INT of Goff by Dallas. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Ok, let's put it this way. Do you think Dan Campbell is lying? Do you think 70 is lying post-game when he says he didn't say a word to the ref? That 68 is lying as well? 

But the FUCKING REF is the one telling the truth? 

OK lets put it this way.  No one knows. all we know is they announced 70 and he points at Skipper.

It is true that Campbell can't be lying because aggy does not do that.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Campbell being hyper aggressive fucked them all night. Going for it in the first half by running four dogshit plays inside the ten was mind numbingly stupid and they chased those points all night. The lions will get spanked by the first team with a pulse they play in the playoffs. Dallas fucked themselves time and time again or it would have been ugly tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

If you fumble it forwards and it goes out of bounds they bring it back to that spot and retain possession. Why should that change just because it’s at the goal line?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that the defense is given a massive, disproportionate gift if the fumble goes through the end zone and rolls OOB (rather than any other fumble that goes OOB). The defense should only get possession if they actually recover the fumble in the field of play.

At worst, the offense/fumbling team should get the ball back at the 20, instead of fully losing possession.

Just now, ITHorn said:

Campbell being hyper aggressive fucked them all night. Going for it in the first half by running four dogshit plays inside the ten was mind numbingly stupid and they chased those points all night. The lions will get spanked by the first team with a pulse they play in the playoffs. Dallas fucked themselves time and time again or it would have been ugly tonight. 

Dallas making mistakes that shoot themselves in the foot?

No Way Disbelief GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ITHorn said:

He didn't really care if he won or lost that game, IMO so he just went for everything.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So you want to change the subject? 

The subject is shitty officiating, no? Without the completely incorrect call against Dallas on that drive, the play that has you foaming at the mouth never even happens.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

Campbell told the refs at halftime they would run this very 2 point play if given the opportunity and exactly who would be eligible (Decker).  And the shithead douche incompetent fucking jack hole ref still fucked it up and now won’t own it.

this fucker has fucked up numerous times and needs to be fired post-haste.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Second flag is irrelevant if official initially calls wrong player number. Formation was fine if ref didn’t botch the eligible player call. 

The ref said 70 reported eligible and lined up ineligible so drew the flag. The interview is posted. Calvin Watkins has it. 68 was covered so he wasn’t eligible.

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

And the refs calling the wrong player (Dallas TE instead of Detroit DE) for tripping on the previous Dallas drive didn’t have similar implications?

that incorrect call nearly cost Dallas the game.

IMG_3845.thumb.png.08844f41ea73a9a208f7649007d5ca42.png

This ref seriously thought our TE would try to trip our own running back....

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The ref said 70 reported eligible and lined up ineligible so drew the flag. The interview is posted. Calvin Watkins has it. 68 was covered so he wasn’t eligible.

Helmet of the WR appears to be at the waist of the LT. Is that far enough to be uncovered? (I literally don’t know That answer)

IMG_3848.thumb.png.0e26c3247472254e3e7eb78ebda5390f.png

Edited by lilMAC25

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

to be honest, it looked totally innocuous for either player.  their legs got tangled up.

Yep, that "legs tangled up" call is a bitch. 

Example: in Super Bowl XIII where Benny Barnes WRONGLY got the DPI when Lynn Swann ran over Barnes' legs/feet, yet Barnes got the DPI and changed the Super Bowl on a floater pass.

It should've been OPI on Swann for running over Barnes' legs/feet. That call cost Dallas the Super Bowl, even if Jackie Smith still hadn't caught the wide-open pass in the end zone.

I saw it live at home with my Dad-- we both couldn't believe that BS ref call that screwed over the Cowboys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

The subject is shitty officiating, no? Without the completely incorrect call against Dallas on that drive, the play that has you foaming at the mouth never even happens.

What has me foaming at the mouth is how fucking braindead some Cowboys fans are being regarding this particular discussion.

I don't give a fuck if the Cowboys win or lose. I bet on the game (player props, so outcome of game didn't matter) so I watched it. The ref fucked up big time on that particular 2 point play, it's being discussed as we speak everywhere on sports media, and I'm commenting on it. But apparently being a lifelong Cowboys fan can cause some sort of sports PTSD and remove any sense of rational thought. 

The video and post-game comments support what Campbell, 68, and 70 are saying. If you disagree with their version, then you are believing the word of a sports referee. I am not a conspiracy theorist. I like to use common sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

Just re watched that last cowboys drive. The mis called tripping on Hendershot was the most egregious thing done by refs tonight. Make the correct call (or just don’t make the blatantly wrong one) and Dallas just knees it out next few plays. 

Its weird "sports media" everywhere isn't talking about that call, isn't it?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

What has me foaming at the mouth is how fucking braindead some Cowboys fans are being regarding this particular discussion.

I don't give a fuck if the Cowboys win or lose. I bet on the game (player props, so outcome of game didn't matter) so I watched it. The ref fucked up big time on that particular 2 point play, it's being discussed as we speak everywhere on sports media, and I'm commenting on it. But apparently being a lifelong Cowboys fan can cause some sort of sports PTSD and remove any sense of rational thought. 

The video and post-game comments support what Campbell, 68, and 70 are saying. If you disagree with their version, then you are believing the word of a sports referee. I am not a conspiracy theorist. I like to use common sense. 

You believe sports referees all the time.

FWIW, i believe 

Detroit (probably) got screwed on that call.

Dallas (definitely) got screwed on the tripping call.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You're strangely upset about this. For the record I think the ref screwed up but that his mistake was more than partially caused by the Lions attempting some confusing misdirection that was totally pointless. The Lions screwed themselves by being idiots and creating a confusing situation that has zero potential benefit (the referee tells the defense who is reporting eligible) and a pretty severe risk that came to fruition. 

Furthermore the referee's mistake could also very well be why the first two point attempt was successful. Because the ref only told the Dallas defense that 70 was reporting eligible that meant to them that 68 was ineligible. There's no reason to cover an ineligible receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're strangely upset about this. For the record I think the ref screwed up but that his mistake was more than partially caused by the Lions attempting some confusing misdirection that was totally pointless. The Lions screwed themselves by being idiots and creating a confusing situation that has zero potential benefit (the referee tells the defense who is reporting eligible) and a pretty severe risk that came to fruition. 

Furthermore the referee's mistake could also very well be why the first two point attempt was successful. Because the ref only told the Dallas defense that 70 was reporting eligible that meant to them that 68 was ineligible. There's no reason to cover an ineligible receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Fumbling forward needs to be penalized in some way. The offense should not go unpenalized for fucking up. If they want to change it to a fumble forward is a 10 or 15 yd penalty instead of turnover I'd be fine with that too. 

10 yard line.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

You have no idea what was said by anyone. You think he heard it and just ignored it?

You think it's more believable 58 and 68 just walked over to him for kicks? Right before the biggest play of the game?

Part of the subterfuge.....

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No. This is the shit that's pissing me off.  It's a stupid argument and you're better than that, Huck. 

This is 100% on the ref. Probably an honest mistake. But he - and the rest of NFL refs - need to be held accountable. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

McCarthy’s pass play on 2nd down was a fire-able offense, IMHO. Run the freaking ball there and force a TO. I almost have to believe the free rusher made Dake just throw it OOB where 3 was running the route. Nothing else about it makes sense otherwise.

He's terrible at game management.  I mean bottom 6-8 in the pros.  He just terrible and I'm not talking just last 2-3 minutes but in how he calls the game in the 2nd half when he gets even the slightest of leads.  Tonight was a prime example.  Continuously calling 1/2 and long running plays trying to establish something which wasn't working.  He's just a bad game 

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Good fucking grief. 

The ref is nodding and acknowledging 68. Maybe the ref caught a glance of 70's number at last second and his brain melted and reported 70 on accident. Honestly, I think it's likely that happened. 

But. The. Ref. Fucked. Up. 

70 had been coming in from the sideline and declaring eliglble several throughout the night, in short yardage situations where they needed an extra blocker.  The idea was to try and confuse the defense thinking it was 70 again, but this time 68 was to very coyly declare he was in fact the eligible lineman.  Campbell was trying to trick everyone in the stadium by causing confusion, hence, 68 went over with his buddy while 70 was coming in from the sidelines.  It worked too!  He confused everyone including the ref. 

That's unfortunate, but the Lions knew the wrong guy had been called eligible.  You can hear it over the PA announcement AND Goff admitted he understood it too.  Instead of correcting the official and thereby possibly exposing the rouse or possibly the coaching staff getting the side official's attention to let them know they got it wrong and needed it righted, they incorrectly hoped it would work out in the wash rather than give up their "surprise".  Unfortunately for them, it didn't and they got flagged. 

From there, Campbell just goes angry meathead and puts his team in a couple of bad situations rather than just kick the XP and play for OT.  Bad on the official for assuming 70 was coming, once again, as the eligible player and not paying attention and getting it right.  Bad on the Lions, upon knowing the official missed it, but rather than than possibly give up their surprise, hoping it would all be okay.  Worse on Campbell for letting his emotions get the better of him and trying to ram in the 2 pointer from decidely worse spots.  Most of all, fuck McCarthy and Quinn for almost blowing a game in which they had no business losing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

"Detroit should have corrected the ref's mistake" is not how things work. 

The ref made a mistake. He doubled down on his post-game comments. This situation needs to be addressed, and the NFL ref union or whatever needs to publicly admit the mistake. He should be held accountable. And then we move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we need to have 7 press conferences to have the ref union address these items

first 5 are the non holding calls on Parsons

6th is the tripping call that wasn't.

7th is the preferred number of players who will talk to the ref about who is eligible, what tone and decibel level they should discuss such eligibility

and then we can move on.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

The most amusing part of all of this is that if this happens and benefits Dolphins or some other innocuous team it has maybe 25% of the faux outrage. The Refs have been horrible all year. They were horrible tonight. If this game is called remotely fairly Lions aren’t in a position to even blow the game themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

"Detroit should have corrected the ref's mistake" is not how things work. 

The ref made a mistake. He doubled down on his post-game comments. This situation needs to be addressed, and the NFL ref union or whatever needs to publicly admit the mistake. He should be held accountable. And then we move on. 

If they could have, of course they should have....  Is your expectation that in every process in which humans are almost entirely material, that it go perfect?  If I order a Filet medium rare and the waiter reads back a pork chop, should I not correct him or should I just roll with it and whine endlessly about it afterwords and how I had no recourse?  I agree, the ref made a mistake and I have no issue with him being made accountable.  He and his crew are terrible.  They called one game a couple of months ago with 10 penalties on one team and 0 in the other, which is almost impossible.  They shouldn't let him or his crew anywhere near the playoffs and probably should break it up, but let's try and be reasonable in which the Lions AFTER the mistake was made had more timely recourse then to just go.... Damn, those refs suck.  They didn't even lose or win the game on that play, just the possible lead.  They still could have most likely got to OT.  I agree the refs made a mistake.  But context does matter and IMO, after said mistake, they chose one of the worst possible ways to deal with it.  Just like the Cowboys after the phantom tripping call, dealt with it poorly and made a series of bad decisions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Helmet of the WR appears to be at the waist of the LT. Is that far enough to be uncovered? (I literally don’t know That answer)

IMG_3848.thumb.png.0e26c3247472254e3e7eb78ebda5390f.png

Great point and the league itself is WILDLY inconsistent on this.  I get frustrated by it watching the game, as the players are sloppy AF because of it. You’ll have OT’s practically in the backfield and outside receivers who are supposed to be off the LOS who are lined up further upfield than the OT or TE.

League needs to clean it up, but they won’t. It’s all about the action/ managing the flow of the game.

6 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

People with common sense don't bet on sports to begin with.

But also, fuck all this complaining. When the Cowboys get screwed by bad officiating nobody cares and "they should have played better". When the bad call is in our favor though the whole league needs to be investigated. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that there wasn't some dumbass NFL ref bullshit there. But if you pay attention to the sport that bullshit happens allllll the time and its why i dont bet on it. As others have pointed out, the "tripping" penalty was invented out of thin air. Lions never should have had the ball. Or Campbell could just kick a FG when he has a chance.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4

Kick a PAT.  They were down by 4...

But yeah.  He should have kicked and stopped trying to Madden Bowl the game.  Dallas defense wasn't stopping them.  What was the risk in going to OT?  Campbell was foolish because he was intoxicated by how awesome his trick play was..

Edited by slorch

Thought Goff’s post game comments were spot on.  Didn’t realize he was such a stand up guy and probably gave the best example for handling such a shit situation.   My opinion of him went way up.

No. Fuck Goff. When he played us in Austin, we had a player go down with a shoulder injury (didn’t play the rest of the season). They stopped play when Hoff was trying to go fast. Goff went off on the ref like a maniac complaining about us “faking an injury”. He should have been flagged, but wasn’t. He’s a Cal cunt just like Rodgers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Kick a PAT.  They were down by 4...
But yeah.  He should have kicked and stopped trying to Madden Bowl the game.  Dallas defense wasn't stopping them.  What was the risk in going to OT?  Campbell was foolish because he was intoxicated by how awesome his trick play was..

What was the risk of going for two and losing? Makes no difference to the Lions going forward.

Just now, scottsins said:

What was the risk of going for two and losing? Makes no difference to the Lions going forward.

OK, and there's that aspect of just getting the game overwith like a preseason exhibition.

Were their reactions reasonable for that mindset?

6 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No. This is the shit that's pissing me off.  It's a stupid argument and you're better than that, Huck. 

This is 100% on the ref. Probably an honest mistake. But he - and the rest of NFL refs - need to be held accountable. 

Can’t tarnish the ring of honor night….

51 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

But also, fuck all this complaining. When the Cowboys get screwed by bad officiating nobody cares and "they should have played better". When the bad call is in our favor though the whole league needs to be investigated. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that there wasn't some dumbass NFL ref bullshit there. But if you pay attention to the sport that bullshit happens allllll the time and its why i dont bet on it. As others have pointed out, the "tripping" penalty was invented out of thin air. Lions never should have had the ball. Or Campbell could just kick a FG when he has a chance.

The fundamental argument about the ref and 2 point play has nothing to do with the Cowboys. It's not about you. It's not about the Cowboys. It's about the ref. 

Yes, it looks like they fucked up the tripping call too. Terrible. Refs need to be held accountable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The fundamental argument about the ref and 2 point play has nothing to do with the Cowboys. It's not about you. It's not about the Cowboys. It's about the ref. 

Yes, it looks like they fucked up the tripping call too. Terrible. Refs need to be held accountable. 

I legitimately hope that this call leads to change. But i doubt it. Today there are more bright shiny objects to distract us in the form of more games. Then more next week. It will all be forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

My favorite line of BS is at the end of games where one of the talking heads says they should "just let them play", like any penalty call in crunch time should not be made.  Fine, give everybody an axe and settle it.

It wouldn’t sound as enticing if they said “let them break the rules as much as they want at the end of the game.” 

Even apart from the inherent idiocy of ignoring the rules, the idea of calling PI one way for 58 minutes and then differently at the end of the game should be self-refuting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep and again that's stupid. The referee tells the defense the number that is reporting eligible. Any attempt to be sneaky about it is stupid Aggie shit from Campbell.

Yep

Don’t they announce this shit too?

Seems you need to announce it so the coaches know and can substitute accordingly. 

Then if the refs “get it wrong” announcing it you can say hey that’s wrong #68 is eligible he’s the tackle we are sneaking out for a pass and correct them

• Hook 'Em 1