Cowboys v Lions

rage-a-holic

22 hours ago, Hermanator said:

He wasn't throwing deep he was throwing an out to the receiver and when Dak saw it covered and the rush closing ok he smartly threw it out of bounds to avoid a turnover. I don't mind throwing there because first down and you win but would rather something with a higher chance of completion. Problem is the defense is playing run so all the defenders are up tight on the line. It's a rough situation that makes throwing short high completion safe passes difficult if not impossible. 

Exactly. It wasn't the refs invented a tripping call. There was a trip they inexplicably called it on the wrong team. Instead of being 15 yds back forcing the Cowboys into a FG to go up 7 it would have been first down at the 14. Chances are it doesn't come down to any 2 pt tries at the end of the game. 

Biggest fuck ups to me are:

1) refs. Blew this call in a horrific manner then blew the call at the end of the game on the 2 pt try. Just fucked it all up all the way around. 

2) Campbell. After being gifted the botched tripping call he goes ape shit and forgets to coach his team after the 2 pt penalty was called. Kick the extra point and go into overtime is the only reasonable play there. He let himself get so worked up he forgot to coach the next play. 

3) Dan Quinn. How many times do we have to see a coordinator fuck up and change what they're doing in the last 2 minutes when their defense has held an offense in check for almost the entirety of the previous 58 minutes? Play soft, give the offense all sorts of confidence and rhythm throwing it down the field in 1 minute, and then you can't stop them in the red zone. PK did that dumb shit and it bit us against OU. Quinn does it all the time in this situation and it cost the Cowboys the game against Miami on Christmas Eve. Stop fucking doing that. Play your defense like normal and get after the fucker. 

How do you forget McCarthy and the clock management at the end of the game?

Just now, RPM said:

The 2 point conversion.

Haven't we been over the fact that if the refs don't botch the tripping call the 2pt conversion is likely never a thing.  Refs screwed up all around, so really can't say it benefitted one team or the other.  They both got screwed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Shelby said:

How do you forget McCarthy and the clock management at the end of the game?

Didn't forget it, I addressed it in the first part of the post. It wasn't as glaring as the other 3 IMO. In this day offenses have the massive advantage in last minutes scenarios. While you want to run the ball to keep the clock moving you also need to take some risks to get first downs and keep the opponent's offense off the field. Every week we see examples of an offense that gets the ball with 40+ seconds and shoots down the field 65+ yards in no time. 

Edited by Hermanator

I'm a Dallas fan, but they didn't deserve to win that game. The ref totally screwed the pooch and named the wrong player.

Bullshit. The Lions fucked up with their 3 man deception crew going to the ref. It backfired. Do you not think the fact Dallas D was told “70 is eligible” by the ref put the defense at a disadvantage? Whether the ref crew fucked it up or not had 68 been the only one to go to the ref instead of 3 they might have avoided the issue. The NFL will put the blame on Detroit.

Besides if Campbell had kicked a FG instead of failing on 4th down a couple times he might have won. Or kicked Pat and gone to overtime. They got two more chances to make the 2 and failed. So fuck em. Plus the tripping call. Plus all the missed holds on Parsons and Tank.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 3:14 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Bullshit. The Lions fucked up with their 3 man deception crew going to the ref. It backfired. Do you not think the fact Dallas D was told “70 is eligible” by the ref put the defense at a disadvantage? Whether the ref crew fucked it up or not had 68 been the only one to go to the ref instead of 3 they might have avoided the issue. The NFL will put the blame on Detroit.

Besides if Campbell had kicked a FG instead of failing on 4th down a couple times he might have won. Or kicked Pat and gone to overtime. They got two more chances to make the 2 and failed. So fuck em. Plus the tripping call. Plus all the missed holds on Parsons and Tank.

Yup. They played a game and it didn’t work. What pisses me off the most is that they keep saying that Campbell told the refs before the game what they would do. As if the refs are required to help you deceive the defense. The whole point of the “check in” rule is literally to avoid deceit so the defense knows who to cover. The refs have a ton to do between plays and he had to get into position. And ultimately the offense heard the check in just like the defense did over the PA. Either correct it or roll with the play knowing he’s ineligible (if there’s not enough time to correct that’s your fault for trying to deceive and it not working). This whole “controversy” is pissing me off. I had sort of a soft spot for Detroit but no more as long as meathead Campbell is HC. Accept the risk that your deception might not work. Instead he cried like a bitch and blamed the ref. Fuck him and his players.

image.thumb.png.06354f48a4217e19ede2885487eba6e9.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Again all that trickeration for 2 yards. Why wouldn’t you just tush push it through the weakass Dallas middle? Again another coach getting too cute because of a cool play he drew up on a whiteboard. And in that position because of a dc playing cute with a prevent defense. Who was doing that because of criminal stupidity in playcalling and clock management by Fat Mike.

Also the ref was not in the officials meeting with the lions so he never heard the cool play from Dan. He was talking to a back judge or something and then claims he told them all. Uhh the dude with the white hat wasn’t there.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Again all that trickeration for 2 yards. Why wouldn’t you just tush push it through the weakass Dallas middle? Again another coach getting too cute because of a cool play he drew up on a whiteboard. And in that position because of a dc playing cute with a prevent defense. Who was doing that because of criminal stupidity in playcalling and clock management by Fat Mike.

Also the ref was not in the officials meeting with the lions so he never heard the cool play from Dan. He was talking to a back judge or something and then claims he told them all. Uhh the dude with the white hat wasn’t there.

Is this true?  I find it hard to believe because aggy would not lie cheat or steal.

They play itself wasn't even anything complicated.  I don't even understand the point unless the reporting eligible is a common thing that teams screw around with?  If the ref tells Dallas 68 is eligible, then someone is accounting for him in all of the 3 yards he moved.  Seems like the play only works if Dallas doesn't know who is eligible, which I don't think is possible if the refs are telling them who is? 

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

They play itself wasn't even anything complicated.  I don't even understand the point unless the reporting eligible is a common thing that teams screw around with?  If the ref tells Dallas 68 is eligible, then someone is accounting for him in all of the 3 yards he moved.  Seems like the play only works if Dallas doesn't know who is eligible, which I don't think is possible if the refs are telling them who is? 

the tackle eligible play works sometimes because guys aren't paying attention to the number the ref calls, or more likely, they forget their assignment on the eligible, not because you attempt some "Three Card/OL Monty" with the ref.

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

They had 70 check in a few times during the game specifically so that the D might be confused when it's someone else checking in as eligible in a big moment, like a game winning 2pt conversion. The hope is that the defense just assumes and doesn't pay attention to the announcement. That level of gamesmanship is fine in my opinion.

Where they pushed the rule beyond gamesmanship is sending two guys to the ref, then has 70 approach the ref waving his hands, follows the ref as though he's reporting. The ref assumes he's the one reporting, announces it, and 68 is uncovered because he's not eligible. Even if 68 clearly said it was him reporting and the ref misheard or made an assumption, that's the risk you run with that bullshit. It's a game winning 2 pt conversion on the road, the crowd is loud as fuck, the play clock is moving, and the ref has to get into position in the back of the endzone. The deceit confused the ref in that situation, and the confusion was intentional

The NFL says the rule is literally to avoid deception on the defense. Campbell says he tried to deceive and is mad that the ref didn't help.

Fuck him, fuck Detroit, and fuck the haters.

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-video-reminding-teams-reporting-eligible-receiver/?fbclid=IwAR372WjWxsY4-h0SgmFQwjSJf3_rPN6G656V84YgFIxp28u38G_zFWHS5oQ

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

so now this goofball says he was signaling a personnel package...while running at the ref and holding his hand up(like he had done twice before in the game when he reported).  someone needs to get him a copy of All The President's Men.  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2024/01/03/detroit-lions-dan-skipper-signaling-personnel-nfl-video-2-point-controversy-dallas-cowboys/72099604007/

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

so now this goofball says he was signaling a personnel package...while running at the ref and holding his hand up(like he had done twice before in the game when he reported).  someone needs to get him a copy of All The President's Men.  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2024/01/03/detroit-lions-dan-skipper-signaling-personnel-nfl-video-2-point-controversy-dallas-cowboys/72099604007/

He can do whatever he wants with his hand. When you check in as eligible to the ref it is a verbal check.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He can do whatever he wants with his hand. When you check in as eligible to the ref it is a verbal check.

actually

It is the responsibility of the player to be sure that change in status is clearly communicated to the referee by both a physical signal, with his hands up and down in front of his chest, and to report to the referee his intention to report as an eligible receiver

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

actually

It is the responsibility of the player to be sure that change in status is clearly communicated to the referee by both a physical signal, with his hands up and down in front of his chest, and to report to the referee his intention to report as an eligible receiver

So he only completed 1 obligation of what you posted while the actual person who reported did both.

Thanks for admitting it finally that the refs got it wrong.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So he only completed 1 obligation of what you posted while the actual person who reported did both.

the point was you were wrong.  the player does have to do a physical signal with his hand. quit talking our of your ass when you don't know the rules.

the actual person didnt do both either.  aggy Dan fucked himself with the 3 OL Monty.  So aggy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It is the responsibility of the communicator to insure message is received correctly by the communicatee. If refs got it wrong it’s the fault of Big Dumb Dan Skipper and Aggy Dan for coming up with goofball plan to confuse the Cowboys but confused the refs instead. If they had just fucking had 68 check in normal they might have won the game. This crew should be being criticized for that tripping call and the no holding calls on Parsons and Tank.

Campbell can keep saying that he told the ref in the pregame meeting but the the white hat guy wasn’t there.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:14 AM, 'stache said:

Yup. They played a game and it didn’t work. What pisses me off the most is that they keep saying that Campbell told the refs before the game what they would do. As if the refs are required to help you deceive the defense. The whole point of the “check in” rule is literally to avoid deceit so the defense knows who to cover. The refs have a ton to do between plays and he had to get into position. And ultimately the offense heard the check in just like the defense did over the PA. Either correct it or roll with the play knowing he’s ineligible (if there’s not enough time to correct that’s your fault for trying to deceive and it not working). This whole “controversy” is pissing me off. I had sort of a soft spot for Detroit but no more as long as meathead Campbell is HC. Accept the risk that your deception might not work. Instead he cried like a bitch and blamed the ref. Fuck him and his players.

image.thumb.png.06354f48a4217e19ede2885487eba6e9.png

Yeah the Lions are wrong. The refs told the Dallas defense that #70 was eligible. So why the fuck would they cover #68? If the ref made that mistake and then didnt throw a flag, the exact same people saying the refs handed Dallas the game would have no sympathy for Dallas.

I don't give a shit if Dan Campbell drew the play up on a bar napkin and showed Brad Allen. The play isn't the issue. It's the set up. I guarantee that when he showed the refs that play before the game he didn't include the part where "hey im gonna have 3 guys wearing linemen numbers walk up to you and make a bunch of signals so Dallas gets confused. You wanna help us skirt the spirit of that rule, refs?"

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Drool 1

Continue to see confusion and even conspiracy theory on Twitter and YouTube that the NFL wanted to help Dallas win... 😋

Listen to Ref announce #70 eligible receiver.  

Cowboys did not cover #68 because they were not told that he was eligible.

be extra funny if the Cowboys get 2 seed and win the super bowl so aggy Dan and the "Immaculate Deception" can go down in lore. Of course, the cowboys winning the super bowl is highly unlikely near zero.

52 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't understand why Campbell didn't call TO as soon as they announced #70 as eligible and not #68.  At that point, the play literally has 0% chance of success if run, yet he let it run anyways.  

I mean you do have some idea. He's done well so far but at heart he is still an Aggie meathead.

I don't understand why Campbell didn't call TO as soon as they announced #70 as eligible and not #68.  At that point, the play literally has 0% chance of success if run, yet he let it run anyways.  

they didn't have any left.

• Hook 'Em 1

I imagine aggy Dan in his Roscoe P Coltrane voice saying "goo goo, I can't believe they called the wrong number, goo goo, this play is gonna be GREAT!"

image.png.e7813c021323a04f5b9a8b7b8050d11a.png

• Haha 1

Nice Jomboy breakdown. I hadn't even noticed that the ref looks at 70 and points to him while he's coming on doing the check-in motion. He doesn't even look at 68! 

THEY TRIED TO DECIEVE AND FUCKED IT UP!

Just now, 'stache said:

Nice Jomboy breakdown. I hadn't even noticed that the ref looks at 70 and points to him while he's coming on doing the check-in motion. He doesn't even look at 68! 

THEY TRIED TO DECIEVE AND FUCKED IT UP!

and campbell keeps saying he reviewed it with the refs but apparently it wasn't with the white hat.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and campbell keeps saying he reviewed it with the refs but apparently it wasn't with the white hat.

It's not the refs goddamned job to help him deceive the defense. The rule literally says it's intention is to avoid deception. Fuck that meathead fuck.