7.6 M Earthquake, Western Coast of Japan - Tsunami Warning Issued

• Wilcox Cummingtonite changed the title to 7.6 M Earthquake, Western Coast of Japan - Tsunami Warning Issued
Posted (edited)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67855990.amp

Japan has issued a major tsunami warning after a 7.6 magnitude earthquake struck the central region.

Residents in the coastal Noto area in Ishikawa prefecture were asked to "evacuate immediately to higher ground," national broadcaster NHK said.

Authorities have warned of waves as high as 5m in Noto.

They also issued tsunami warnings for neighbouring Niigata and Toyama prefectures, where they said waves could reach 3m.

Public television flashed "EVACUATE" in big letters, urging residents to flee to higher ground despite the winter weather.

People have also posted videos of the earthquake from their homes and from inside subway stations.

The country's largest nuclear power operator, Kansai Electric, said there had been "no abnormality" in nuclear plants in the affected area.

South Korea's meteorological agency has warned that tsunami waves up to 0.3m could hit the eastern coast of the country between 18:29 to 19:17 local time (09:29 to 10:17 GMT).

image.thumb.jpeg.88fc76ce955efabda0582b2773d19ba0.jpeg

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Like 1

Holy fuck - I spent several years growing up in Japan, and earthquake awareness and preparation was such a huge thing.  I have known about the Great Kanto earthquake 100 years ago nearly all my life.  Well, this morning as I went to refresh my memory on a few specifics of that disaster I learned about the Kanto Massacre for the first time.  Damn people can be terrible.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantō_Massacre

History diversion aside, hoping for as little damage and death as possible today.

jesus. 

but i had to laugh at that bowling alley video. the person that gets under the score table - they must teach that. when i was there i experienced one "major" 4.7 earthquake. i was teaching a kid and the earthquake hit. his mom was waiting in the waiting room. did she come get him? no. she got under the fucking table haha

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Man that bowling alley ate that earthquake. If I was involved in building or designing that building I’d be damn proud today.

Seismic design has come a long way.  In an earlier life, I developed a large piece of industrial equipment that had to be certified for operation in California.  Think of something akin to a 10,000 lb commercial refrigerator (although that wasn't what it was).  The earthquake bar was high, real high.  We took it to a lab and mounted it to a giant ass shaker table.  It was like the worst amusement park ride you can imagine.  I was sure we wouldn't pass, but lo and behold, after a minute on that robotic bucking bronco from hell we started right up.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus. 

but i had to laugh at that bowling alley video. the person that gets under the score table - they must teach that. when i was there i experienced one "major" 4.7 earthquake. i was teaching a kid and the earthquake hit. his mom was waiting in the waiting room. did she come get him? no. she got under the fucking table haha

They do.  Along the lines of Jimmy Jazz's post I remember a time where they brought this trailer to our school that had a dining room-like setup on a shaker.  The room had a table and chairs, ceiling light fixtures, some cabinets on the wall - all that typical sort of stuff - and one side was open for everyone to watch. So they would have a few kids get in and sit in chairs around the table and start shaking the shit out of it.  You would get to experience the feeling and react the way you were trained.  Amusement park ride, indeed.  

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

It's a miracle they were able to evacuate all the passengers safely.

Well, the ones on that plane, anyway. Japan Coast Guard has some newly vacant positions to fill.