Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that drop off in defense said it all.

The defense looked pretty damn ugly in January of last year, and that blame lands squarely on RT.  I agree 100%.

The success we had at the end of the year? Well in that case, credit should be given to the player-led team who finally overcame that terrible RT coaching and remembered the lessons taught to them by Beard.

\Disingenuous argument

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Killed the program? Really?

Come on.

Hyperbole sure. Killed the trajectory/momentum of the program and set us back for ??? years would be a better description. Net negative, detrimental coach. 

Edited by Hank_Hill

25 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The defense looked pretty damn ugly in January of last year, and that blame lands squarely on RT.  I agree 100%.

The success we had at the end of the year? Well in that case, credit should be given to the player-led team who finally overcame that terrible RT coaching and remembered the lessons taught to them by Beard.

\Disingenuous argument

both arguments are based on merit. like i said earlier, that entire postseason run directly correlates with a sudden uptick in perimeter defense. so either RT, whose biggest weakness is 3p defense, suddenly got awesome at defending the three, then just as quickly forgot everything he knew about 3 point defense for this year, OR, our senior laden team that was full of chris beard-recruited and coached players stepped their shit up when the stakes were the highest, and the 2024 longhorns naturally suck at 3 point defense again because it’s a huge weakness of RT’s. tough call there. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The previous season had an average attendance average of 9,779 per home game.  In 21, at the Drum, in Beard's first season, attendance rose 26.8 % to 12,398 per game.

In Texas’ second season in the Frank Erwin Center, the Longhorns finished fourth in the nation in average attendance with a 15,885 fans per game average. UT’s 6,737 fans per game increase from 1978 to 1979 was the largest in the country.

Top Five Single-Season Average Attendance Avg. Year Home Dates Total Attendance Home Record

15,886 ______ 1978-79 _______ 14 _____________ 222,400 _________________ 13-1

14,629 ______ 2009-10 _______ 17 _____________ 248,697 _________________ 15-2

13,911 ______ 1996-97 _______ 13 _____________ 180,845 _________________ 12-1

13,815 ______ 2007-08 _______ 18 _____________ 248,673 _________________ 17-1

13,669 ______ 2010-11 _______ 18 _____________ 246,044 _________________ 16-2

Again, the guy improved off a shitty product offered by Shaka Smart. He didn't do anything that had not been done before. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Four-straight home sellouts to watch the Big XII Champion Texas team that earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and went to the Elite Eight in 2008 is just nothing like Texas basketball ever experienced until Chris Beard showed up to go 22-12 (10-8 Big 12) and win a first-round NCAA Tournament game.

attendance.png

Edited by Reality Check
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Watching this Ole Miss vs Aggy game, Ole Miss doesn’t look like it is better coached than our squad. Bad shots and turnovers constantly. Giving up tons of offensive rebounds. Just not good.

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Watching this Ole Miss vs Aggy game, Ole Miss doesn’t look like it is better coached than our squad. Bad shots and turnovers constantly. Giving up tons of offensive rebounds. Just not good.

You’re trying too hard to get a dig in at Beard while propping up RT. 

Mississippi isn’t better than Texas this year and it’s not because of the coaching—it’s the players. 

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

in other words, you think that if chris beard and his staff had coached texas this season, and RT and his staff had coached ole miss this season, that ole miss would be better than they’ve been, and that Texas would be worse than we’ve been. 

yeah, you’re TOTALLY not an RT homer. 

I agree, RT is not the man, I think that is obvious to many UT basketball fans.

I think RT is a good person, a good man, brings people together, promotes unity, and he is still a great assistant basketball coach!  But he is not even an average D1 head coach.  I think this is obvious to many of us Longhorn fans !

With that said, I wouldn't want to disparage Chris Beard, Who is a Great D1 Basketball Coach ! ! ! . . . independent of his start at the No Name basketball University of "Ole Miss."  When UT plays Ole Miss next year in the SEC, Frank and the Running Rebels will beat Us !

I absolutely despise men or women who perpetuate domestic violence and all that are convicted of this crime should do prison time.  However, I do not believe he was guilty of domestic abuse. He was not a married man, but he was guilty of choosing the wrong girlfriend.  She had visions of grandeur of being the Wife of the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Texas ! ! ! And . . . He did not want Her to be his Wife .  . . and there you go ! ! ! When she realized this was not going to happen and she couldn't live this Dream, She was going to make sure Frank couldn't have it either!

5 minutes ago, TSBroks said:

I think RT is a good person, a good man, brings people together, promotes unity, and he is still a great assistant basketball coach!  But he is not even an average D1 head coach.  I think this is obvious to many of us Longhorn fans !

With that said, I wouldn't want to disparage Chris Beard, Who is a Great D1 Basketball Coach ! ! ! . . . independent of his start at the No Name basketball University of "Ole Miss."  When UT plays Ole Miss next year in the SEC, Frank and the Running Rebels will beat Us !

I absolutely despise men or women who perpetuate domestic violence and all that are convicted of this crime should do prison time.  However, I do not believe he was guilty of domestic abuse. He was not a married man, but he was guilty of choosing the wrong girlfriend.  She had visions of grandeur of being the Wife of the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Texas ! ! ! And . . . He did not want Her to be his Wife .  . . and there you go ! ! ! When she realized this was not going to happen and she couldn't live this Dream, She was going to make sure Frank couldn't have it either!

image.png.7653ea0662f69d474c403f7ce9f31292.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Kind of hard to say what would have happened, if he were a completely different person.

True, he might be able to get an inside game going and some defense, maybe even protect a few leads.

Edited by El Squared

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

All the good players went to Fresno and utep

• Hook 'Em 1

AdjD during the kenpom era

first number is AdjD which is points given up per 100 possessions weighted for sos, the second number is the national rank

2024- 100.3 (61)

2023- 92.1 (13)

2022- 91.6 (14)

2021- 92.8 (31)

2020- 92.6 (24)

2019- 94.4 (26)

2018- 94.1 (12)

2017- 93.7 (21)

2016- 96.8 (40)

2015- 93.4 (14)

2014- 97.3 (53)

2013- 95.5 (54)

2012- 97.0 (64)

2011- 89.6 (4)

2010- 93.1 (30)

2009- 92.5 (20)

2008- 95.5 (42)

2007- 100.3 (92)

2006- 91.7 (15)

2005- 97.1 (61)

2004- 94.1 (22)

2003- 95.8 (58)

2002- 98.3 (74)

2001- 90.1 (11)

2000- 87.5 (11)

1999- 91.6 (36)

this year’s Texas defense was tied for the worst defense of the kenpom era (so, since rick’s first year here) with the 2007 team that that was all skinny, tiny freshmen and basically only played six guys. a quick scan of the numbers and you can see that 100.3 is a number that is wildly high for the standard that’s been set here at Texas. 

a final note to drive home how bad of a coaching job this defense has been:

D-1 experience:

2007 Texas: 0.37 years, 333rd in d-1

2024 Texas: 3.23 years, 4th in d-1

so not only has Terry had a shaky season with his mercurial, volatile team, he’s done so with as much as d-1 experience as he will ever have on any roster he coaches the rest of his career. 

the more i post, the more i can’t believe we still have people who want RT to be our HC.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, TSBroks said:

! ! ! . . .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TSBroks said:

Case closed.  Let’s bring Chris back!

If all you care about is defense, then this is the worst squad since 1999. Fair enough.

Instead why don’t you post the KenPom final ranking by year? The one that sums up offense and defense and strength of schedule and everything else.

Let’s see what it says.

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If all you care about is defense, then this is the worst squad since 1999. Fair enough.

Instead why don’t you post the KenPom final ranking by year? The one that sums up offense and defense and strength of schedule and everything else.

Let’s see what it says.

Sure but Chris beard is a defensive dynamo and even he let aggy score 86 and 80 back to back.  

14 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Four-straight home sellouts to watch the Big XII Champion Texas team that earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and went to the Elite Eight in 2008 is just nothing like Texas basketball ever experienced until Chris Beard showed up to go 22-12 (10-8 Big 12) and win a first-round NCAA Tournament game.

attendance.png

Using attendance to justify atmosphere is stupid. Moody will never beat any of those records above because it's a smaller venue. FEC was a wasteland of an atmopshere.....where as Moody with Beard has been the best atmosphere we have seen at Texas, probably ever in basketball. Yeah there may be 1 or two games at the FEC where you can say the crowd was great over the years. Regardless once we get a better coach and the team starts performing better the atmosphere at Moody will blow anything you've seen at FEC out of the water.

I was at the Gonzaga game. It was a great atmosphere no doubt, but it didn't approach the peak loudness that the Erwin Center was capable of.  I was at a KU game, I think around 2008 when we won at home. My ears were ringing for a couple of hours after the game it was so loud.  That was probably the loudest sporting event I have ever been a part of.  There were a couple of games like that, but they were few and far between.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Using attendance to justify atmosphere is stupid. Moody will never beat any of those records above because it's a smaller venue. FEC was a wasteland of an atmopshere.....where as Moody with Beard has been the best atmosphere we have seen at Texas, probably ever in basketball. Yeah there may be 1 or two games at the FEC where you can say the crowd was great over the years. Regardless once we get a better coach and the team starts performing better the atmosphere at Moody will blow anything you've seen at FEC out of the water.

So now you've abandoned using metrics to measure "atmosphere and fan interest" even though fan interest is directly reflected by attendance. You've also conceded that the arenas are responsible for the difference. So that means it's not Chris Beard. 

I've been out of state/traveling a great deal but I did make it to the Texas-Oklahoma State game this month, my first men's game in the Moody Center. It's certainly an improvement in terms of atmosphere over the Erwin Center -- anybody with an iota of common sense or objectivity would agree. That was specifically what the arena was made for. 

But the difference would be identical with any winning team -- again, it's not like Chris Beard had some magical pixie dust to sprinkle over Texas basketball fans. They'll always come out to see and support a winning team. As bad as Gregory Gym was, it could draw a packed house when the team was worth watching. 

AAS Crowd.jpg

Edited by Reality Check

9 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

So now you've abandoned using metrics to measure "atmosphere and fan interest" even though fan interest is directly reflected by attendance. You've also conceded that the arenas are responsible for the difference. So that means it's not Chris Beard. 

I've been out of state/traveling a great deal but I did make it to the Texas-Oklahoma State game this month, my first men's game in the Moody Center. It's certainly an improvement in terms of atmosphere over the Erwin Center -- anybody with an iota of common sense or objectivity would agree. That was specifically what the arena was made for. 

But the difference would be identical with any winning team -- again, it's not like Chris Beard had some magical pixie dust to sprinkle over Texas basketball fans. They'll always come out to see and support a winning team. As bad as Gregory Gym was, it could draw a packed house when the team was worth watching. 

AAS Crowd.jpg

You're trying to compare a desolate wasteland of a 17k seat venue vs an 11k venue. Straight up brain dead argument. FEC with a winning team was not a rambunctious place or intimidating place to play. Everything is so far from the court. Once our team is good in basketball to the level it was in mid 00s then you'll see the difference. You saw spirts of it in a short time so far....it will outperform FEC completely

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I see RC is creeping closer to being crowd sourced, yet the neg rep doesn't seem to be occurring in the hoops forum.  What other group of people on this board is he relentlessly trolling/annoying?

He's doing drive bys in the CR that'll do it every time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FEC with a winning team was not a rambunctious place or intimidating place to play.

Jamal Tinsley, Rickey Clemons, and others would disagree.

The team has to be really really good though.  Texas fans are frontrunners to begin with but doubly so in basketball.  Probably always will be.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're trying to compare a desolate wasteland of a 17k seat venue vs an 11k venue. Straight up brain dead argument. FEC with a winning team was not a rambunctious place or intimidating place to play. Everything is so far from the court. Once our team is good in basketball to the level it was in mid 00s then you'll see the difference. You saw spirts of it in a short time so far....it will outperform FEC completely

Crowds are better in an actual basketball stadium, news at 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

just want to remind people that i once went to a game at the FEC where not only was the student section behind the basket sparsely populated, but that several of the students who were there had out their biochem textbooks and were studying together. 

not good enough? i watched kevin durant play in front of a crowd of 4,000 people. google it. it was the Centenary game that year. the arena was 1/4 full with kevin durant on the team. 

chris beard got those same december matchups to go from that ^^^ nonsense to the arena being packed with excited and basketball-crazy students, even when we were playing SE Montana Christian school of Judaism. you cannot honestly have experienced the game day atmosphere pre-beard and with beard and not come away calling him the pied piper. he absolutely transformed the game day/student experience. revolutionized it here at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1