The Future

Sbbruin

Where is humanity headed?  What technological breakthroughs are on the horizon?  What about 50 years from now?  100?  1,000?  1,000,000?  I find the topic fascinating.  I think about if you brought some of the great minds from 200-400 years ago forward to today, how completely mindblown they would be.  Or Socrates (insert Bill & Ted), or Da Vinci.  This site is an interesting look at what might be.  One supposition is that eventually, and maybe no more than 100-200 years, we will supplement our brains with AI, where we can meld the two together.  If man could harness the speed of AI with the nuances of the human brain, the possibilities become endless.  Of course, continued population increase may derail that completely.  Anyway, random thought of the day.

https://www.futuretimeline.net/

I remember stumbling across that website back in undergrad while doing some research for a project. Looks like that thing hasn't been updated in a long time. For instance, it said vertical farms will begin to become common in 2025. That is only 7 years from now and I don't see the need or the want to dump money into that, much less have heard about the desire to do so. Back when I originally read that 8 years ago, when peak oil and other Malthusian catastrophes were all the rage, that seemed like a smart, feasible solution? Now? It sounds like a massive boondoggle cooked up by Elon Musk.

Everything (transportation, goods and services, government, housing, quality of life) is gradually going to become more crowded, more expensive, yet shabbier, crappier and dumber. Prepare for a "Soylent Green" kind of world by 2100 or 2150.  (Unless you are in the executive, high political, or financial class, who will wall themselves off in private luxury communities.)

3 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Everything (transportation, goods and services, government, housing, quality of life) is gradually going to become more crowded, more expensive, yet shabbier, crappier and dumber. Prepare for a "Soylent Green" kind of world by 2100 or 2150.  (Unless you are in the executive, high political, or financial class, who will wall themselves off in private luxury communities.)

Let them eat Soylent...