2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

PFF has a contract projection of 2/22/15 for Barkley; I would absolutely do that, as it’s essentially a 1-year commitment with a Year 2 cap savings of $4MM if things go south. If he’s healthy he’s a true #1 RB, and he’s always been known as a leader and great locker room guy….

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

PFF has a contract projection of 2/22/15 for Barkley; I would absolutely do that, as it’s essentially a 1-year commitment with a Year 2 cap savings of $4MM if things go south. If he’s healthy he’s a true #1 RB, and he’s always been known as a leader and great locker room guy….

Prayer Please GIF by Rosanna Pansino

I have zero idea on what the Texans will do in the draft. While I know this is a matter of the randomness of a late pick but it seems that every single mock has a different name. The position also varies between DT, Edge, CB, WR and OL. It’s setting up to be BPA at one of those positions. As it should be. 

2024 cap is $255MM, 30 more than last year and roughly 12 more than Spotrac/Over The Cap have been estimating. Obviously goes up the same for everyone, but probably disproportionately benefits teams who were on the fence about using the franchise tag be those who weren’t. This almost definitely takes guys like Madabuike and Brian Burns off the market….

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Texans cap space after the announcement. This guy is a pretty good follow for front office coverage. 

You can also add $5.5MM to that total if we part ways with Robert Woods amd $2.5MM for Davis Mills, although for the latter we ought to give him a parting bonus of like $5MM for throwing the TD against Indy in 2022 that brought us CJ….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I am not sure dumping Mills is a good idea. $2.5M is a good number for your backup. You got to think that Keenum is soon to move to the coaching staff, either here or at UH.

The cap hit that really sucks is Howard, that is a lot to pay for an OG coming off an injury plagued season.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I am not sure dumping Mills is a good idea. $2.5M is a good number for your backup. You got to think that Keenum is soon to move to the coaching staff, either here or at UH.

The cap hit that really sucks is Howard, that is a lot to pay for an OG coming off an injury plagued season.

I’d keep Mills 

• Hook 'Em 1

Brian Thomas Jr is probably the most common mock at #23 at this point, but it seems like if he’s WR4, and the top three are all gone by pick eight or nine, it’s unlikely that the next WR won’t be picked until #23 

I’d like the pick, but I don’t think he’ll be there 

On 2/20/2024 at 5:49 PM, Ignatius said:

Not sure how healthy Barkley really is... he's missed quite a bit of time.  Unless it's a short-term rental that's inexpensive, don't think it's the right move for Texans.  

Barkely has had 2 complete seasons ever - his rookie campaign and in 2022.  He has nearly 1500 career NFL touches, so he *may* have another 2-3 decent years left in him.  When playing, he's one of the best in the NFL and, as noted, a leader in the locker rom.

2/22/15 seems a little high, given his recent tailing production and injury history, as its near the top of the RB salary average (only Kamara, Chubb, McCaffrey, and Jones would make more).  But it is not my money and it would only be a 2 year commitment.  If he's healthy, why not?

Here are his career injuries, fwiw.

Aug 13, 2018 Thigh Hamstring Sprain Grade 1 He missed a week with the injury but came back right after.
Sep 22, 2019 Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 He suffered this injury in a game against the Buccaneers.
Sep 20, 2020 Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 This happened during week 2 and his season ended right there.
Sep 20, 2020 Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 During the same game, he also had an MCL tear along with the ACL tear.
Oct 10, 2021 Pedal Ankle Sprain/ Grade 1 Barkley suffered an ankle injury during a game against the Cowboys.
Dec 8, 2022 Cervical Neck Stinger He had a stinger in practice but played his way through.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:54 PM, HtownHorn said:

On 2/23/2024 at 8:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I’d keep Mills 

Mills getting passed up this year by Keenum while Stroud was out was alarming 

Considering all factors (CJ, Demeco, cap space, city of Houston, weather) the Texans might be the #1 destination for free agents in 2024. The vibes are at an all-time high. Great position to be in, and hopefully Caserio/DeMeco are patient and doing the proper due diligence to max out this roster with offseason signings and NFL draft. 

8 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Considering all factors (CJ, Demeco, cap space, city of Houston, weather) the Texans might be the #1 destination for free agents in 2024. The vibes are at an all-time high. Great position to be in, and hopefully Caserio/DeMeco are patient and doing the proper due diligence to max out this roster with offseason signings and NFL draft. 

I mostly agree, but did you really cite Houston weather as a motivating factor? We are about 4-5 months removed from a scorching hellscape and will probably get another one in 3 more.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I mostly agree, but did you really cite Houston weather as a motivating factor? We are about 4-5 months removed from a scorching hellscape and will probably get another one in 3 more.

Most football players will take 365 days of mid-August in Houston over cold weather cities. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Saquon just wants to get paid. He’ll go to the highest bidder. As will just about every other free agent. 

there's a lot of RB's available, zero reason to over pay for one this offseason 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39604881/sources-franchise-tags-unlikely-josh-jacobs-saquon-barkley

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:43 AM, boilerhorn said:

Barkely has had 2 complete seasons ever - his rookie campaign and in 2022.  He has nearly 1500 career NFL touches, so he *may* have another 2-3 decent years left in him.  When playing, he's one of the best in the NFL and, as noted, a leader in the locker rom.

2/22/15 seems a little high, given his recent tailing production and injury history, as its near the top of the RB salary average (only Kamara, Chubb, McCaffrey, and Jones would make more).  But it is not my money and it would only be a 2 year commitment.  If he's healthy, why not?

Here are his career injuries, fwiw.

Aug 13, 2018 Thigh Hamstring Sprain Grade 1 He missed a week with the injury but came back right after.
Sep 22, 2019 Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 He suffered this injury in a game against the Buccaneers.
Sep 20, 2020 Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 This happened during week 2 and his season ended right there.
Sep 20, 2020 Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 During the same game, he also had an MCL tear along with the ACL tear.
Oct 10, 2021 Pedal Ankle Sprain/ Grade 1 Barkley suffered an ankle injury during a game against the Cowboys.
Dec 8, 2022 Cervical Neck Stinger He had a stinger in practice but played his way through.

meh, not sure if that even carries much weight anymore. he's yet to show he can help a team win 

On 2/5/2024 at 8:30 AM, Fud said:

A couple of senior bowl risers who'd make sense for Houston at #23 if they're still on the board; Missouri DL Darius Robinson, and Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell

I like DeJean, Mims (or other physically gifted OTs getting pushed down to #23 due to the strength of the OT class), Robinson, and Mitchell. #23 seems like it's too late to get the first wave of WRs, and too early for the late first/early second types (might be better off drafting a WR in the 2nd like Malachi Corley, if he's there). Maybe if they love one of those WRs (Coleman, Worthy, Mitchell, Wilson, Franklin, etc), they go ahead and take him, but I'd bet they have others (like the four I mentioned above) ahead of those guys

Some good corners seem to be falling into the middle of the 2nd round, maybe one of those could drop to us?

This class is loaded at interior OL, but it's tough to see us using a premium pick on one after taking Suggs in the 2nd last year

I'd add Brian Thomas Jr to Mitchell, DeJean, Mims, and D Robinson as interesting targets, although Mitchell most likely won't be there, and I'm starting to doubt Thomas Jr and Mims will be there. Unclear about DeJean. Seems like Robinson should be there, and he'd fit DeMeco's defense

There's a lot of people who don't think Houston would draft an OT in the first. If that's true, then we should hope for a big OT run before our pick to push other players back 

Here's DJ's writeup on Chop

Rank

Chop Robinson

Penn State · Edge · Junior

Robinson is an extremely twitched-up edge rusher with limited production. He has average size but is incredibly explosive. As a pass rusher, he has excellent get-off quickness, but it looks odd because of his short/choppy steps. He will cause more stress for OTs when he learns how to lengthen his stride and gain ground. He flashes a nifty two-hand swipe maneuver and a push/pull move. He has some tightness that shows up when he gets to the top of his rush. His sack production is limited, but he was very disruptive in every game I studied. He was asked to drop into coverage on occasion and looked comfortable in space. Against the run, he consistently generates knock-back versus head-up blockers, but he struggles versus angle blocks and double teams. He gets washed down the line too often. Overall, Robinson isn't a smooth/bendy type of player, but his mix of speed and power provides a lot of disruption. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

meh, not sure if that even carries much weight anymore. he's yet to show he can help a team win 

Yeah but he’s been playing with end-of-days Eli (1 season) and fucking Daniel Jones as the QBs whose passing ability would theoretically open up some running lanes. He’s also played his entire career behind a line that’s somehow been less reliable than ours over the same time period.

Speaking of which, I’m incredibly glad I don’t have Caserio’s job - if I did, we’d be saddled with Evan Neal instead of Stingley. I thought he was going to be a stud but he might not even make it out of his 3rd training camp….

• Hook 'Em 1

As it relates to RBs, I do not want to give up any significant monies to get Saquon/Henry/Jacobs. If we got one cheap I’m all for it. But these days better to invest in the OL and let rookies carry the rock on rookie contracts, unless a vet wants to come in at a competitive price to do it.

And for the record I think all three guys I mentioned are badass, I just want the team to allocate funds elsewhere with CJ being the clear focal point.

• Hook 'Em 3