2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

28 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Those are our team colors which weren’t changing. What were you expecting

After all the hype? Design less lazy than Porsche. If the unis weren’t side by side I think you’d have a hard time knowing they were different.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Cal and Hannah will be talking about the unis with the OG and Landry in 10 minutes

Has Cal made a public appearance in the last 15 months without Hannah present?  Whoever had the idea to make them a duo might have saved the franchise.

• Hook 'Em 3

WTF NFL why do you give a fuck about Amy Adams Seaskunk and the Nashville fanbase (who has no emotional tie to the Oilers but to troll Houston) over doing what everyone else in the football universe knows to be right and just?

HTown Blue is not Columbia Blue. The trademark was Columbia + white + red. I’m no lawyer, but you’d think the addition of navy as a fourth color would make it novel, or that it is a different shade of blue. Grow some sack, Cal and Roger Goodell. 

32 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Nobody will care wtf they are wearing if they are playing in afc title and super bowl games.

Yes, but it’s not an either/or. They could have bad ass uniforms AND win. 

I think the home and road uniforms are an improvement (but far short of an H-town Blue jersey). The font is still stupid, why can’t they go with classic block font like most classic teams (Cowboys, Giants, 49ers, Chiefs, Raiders, Patriots, Packers, Bills, Browns, Colts, Saints, Dolphins)? Learn lessons from previous fails like several recent Falcons jerseys, the terrible Browns jerseys of 2010’s, Commanders, “new” Rams. Who would you like to be grouped with in the NFL world?

On 4/11/2024 at 9:26 AM, Fud said:

Quick mock draft through their 4th round picks

42- Michael Hall Jr (Ohio State DT)

59- Javon Bullard (Georgia S)

86- Christian Mahogany (Boston College OL)

122- Ray Davis (Kentucky RB)

126- Jaylin Simpson (Auburn S)

Yeah, I posted this earlier in the thread

That line makes me think people think Rakestraw isn't making it past Houston though 

• Hook 'Em 1

Regardless of the draft I’d expect us to pick up a 2-down veteran DT between now and camp. Between post-draft cuts and trade possibilities there should be some solid (not spectacular) options out there. Might see some movement with one of the remaining FA safeties if we don’t pick one up Day 2/4th round….

Edited by Ignatius

FWIW, according to the value chart our 3rd rounder would be able to upgrade our higher 2nd round pick to #29 (Detroit). Both of our 2nd round picks would get us to #22 (Philadelphia). If somehow Byron Murphy slid to the latter position I would be all over that but (a) I’m biased and (b) he isn’t going to slide to 22…

Edited by Ignatius

20 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

FWIW, according to the value chart our 3rd rounder would be able to upgrade our higher 2nd round pick to #29 (Detroit). Both of our 2nd round picks would get us to #22 (Philadelphia). If somehow Byron Murphy slid to the latter position I would be all over that but (a) I’m biased and (b) he isn’t going to slide to 22…

Your second scenario would make little sense. It would essentially negate the Minnesota trade. 

It would be the same thing as drafting Murphy with our original 1st rounder and trading our original 2nd rounder for Diggs, which I think anyone would be fine with.

You get the bird in the hand of having Diggs (which means we don’t have to draft a WR) already, and if Murphy is there, great; if not, you have two 2nd rounders…

12 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

If it takes 42 and the 3rd to move into the 20’s to take a falling star, sure do it.

I didn’t love moving back. 6 QBs could go before pick 23. Probably at least 3 if not 4 WRs will be gone. That’s 10 picks on positions the Texans don’t need. That’s a damn good pool of 13 prospects. There should be some really good corners and DL that fall.  They really need the 2025 pick to be in the 30’s to get value back. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If it takes 42 and the 3rd to move into the 20’s to take a falling star, sure do it.

I didn’t love moving back. 6 QBs could go before pick 23. Probably at least 3 if not 4 WRs will be gone. That’s 10 picks on positions the Texans don’t need. That’s a damn good pool of 13 prospects. There should be some really good corners and DL that fall.  They really need the 2025 pick to be in the 30’s to get value back. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree on how badly the WR room needed an upgrade….

Played golf today with a guy who was on the Buffalo Bills defensive staff for the last couple of years. 

1. He says Stefon Diggs is a great dude/player/teammate. Complicated situation in Buffalo where Josh Allen (who is generally liked by all of his teammates) receives little to no criticism when they struggle, while others get way too much grief. He puts most of the blame on the media/press. 

2. Also recognized that the Texans are "a problem".  Big WAJ fan. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Man, she looks great, especially after spitting out 4 kids in the last dozen year Obviously has good genes. Here she is with her twin sister. Also, I didn’t realize that Cal was walk-on at UT🤘

IMG_1548.jpeg

She’s hot in person. I see her at select ball tournaments regularly. Not like a 10 on the milf spectrum but one of several regulars who are in the 8 or higher range. 

We pitched Cal McNair on NIL help in the early days. He took it seriously enough to get an opinion around participating and his counsel came back that the conflict of interest was basically inherent and that it was a “no go”. That said, he’s also willing to play ball on some stuff that could be fun between the orgs and I wouldn’t be surprised to see something come to fruition on a schedule soon enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Who does your kid play for? She is honestly really down to earth. Cal also. I've sat and had some really cool conversations with them. Since we've been on our new team, she has always been really kind and nice to my son. Congratulations to him on pitching or whatever he did that weekend.

32 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Who does your kid play for? She is honestly really down to earth. Cal also. I've sat and had some really cool conversations with them. Since we've been on our new team, she has always been really kind and nice to my son. Congratulations to him on pitching or whatever he did that weekend.

My son is usually picking up with the CBA Cubs 10U when we encounter their team. His normal select team is an 11U team for whom he plays up, so it's random when he's free and feels like playing "down" but he likes those kids. We also run into them in District play and I assume that will be the case this year on the 10U level. 

• Like 1

My son is usually picking up with the CBA Cubs 10U when we encounter their team. His normal select team is an 11U team for whom he plays up, so it's random when he's free and feels like playing "down" but he likes those kids. We also run into them in District play and I assume that will be the case this year on the 10U level. 
What 11u team? We are usually at a ballpark almost every weekend. Others here have kids playing 9,10 and 11.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What 11u team? We are usually at a ballpark almost every weekend. Others here have kids playing 9,10 and 11.

The Bull Sharks, either Black or Blue unless they're playing on the same weekend and then he's with the Blue.

• Like 1