Texas Primaries

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Just voted at the Leander public library. Something that struck me as a little odd...they had a separate line for the Democratic and Republican primary. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of it, but in a time where you've got to be more conscious of your surroundings in public it rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. I guess the bright side was the R line looked to be about 45 minutes long and the D line only had 3 people in it when I walked up. I was in and out in about 5 minutes. Lots of blue hairs in the R primary line. There was even a van from a retirement home in the parking lot, which I didn't think was allowed anymore? 

*To clarify, once you checked in everyone used the same pool of machines. There were drop boxes for each party, but a common pool of machines. 

It’s always been that way

On 2/20/2024 at 2:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

Those of you in Travis County and surroundings, an important judicial recommendation in the judicial primary: vote Sherine Thomas for the 353rd District Court.  Please.  She's sharp, an experienced attorney, and very fair minded.  She's also a damned good administrator (a big part of the job is keeping things moving along -- she will be excellent in that respect).  

Will do.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I defer to the Chronicle's endorsement if I'm ever on the fence

Funny, that's usually my signal that I likely need to vote against a candidate. The farther left you go, the more AC loves you. See: Project Connect, Steve Adler, every bond issue that's ever been invented, Jose Garza, et al.

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I defer to the Chronicle's endorsement if I'm ever on the fence

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Funny, that's usually my signal that I likely need to vote against a candidate. The farther left you go, the more AC loves you. See: Project Connect, Steve Adler, every bond issue that's ever been invented, Jose Garza, et al.

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The Chronicle is consistent in its support for leftist candidates that check the racial/gender/LGBTQ regardless of resume weakness in other areas.  It’s particularly galling when they endorse an incumbent  who has shown to be ineffective.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

The Chronicle is consistent in its support for leftist candidates that check the racial/gender/LGBTQ regardless of resume weakness in other areas.

Thanks. 

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/laws/advisory2020-05.shtml

I voted in the primary election on March 3, 2020.  Why did they ask if I wanted a Republican or Democratic ballot?  

The primary elections are two separate elections that occur on the same day. The elections are the method for both the Republican and Democratic parties to select their nominees for the general election in November. When a voter votes in a primary election or primary runoff election, they are affiliating with the party whose primary they are voting in. (§162.003). A voter who is affiliated with a political party is ineligible to become affiliated with another party during the same voting year. (§162.012). This means a voter cannot vote in both primary elections, or the primary election of one party and the runoff election of another party. Some counties will have joint primaries and/or the parties will share polling places. In a county where the Republican and Democratic parties are sharing polling places, the voter must identify the primary in which they would like to vote, in order to ensure they receive the correct ballot and are marked as voting in the correct primary election.  

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

it most certainly has not. I've been voting in primaries for 20 years and it's the first time it's happened to me. 

I voted at the Old Quarry Library in Austin during early voting. Rather than being asked verbally which primary I want to vote in I clicked on the Democratic icon. Maybe the official helping knew which primary I was voting in but no one else.

31 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

fair. but I am pretty left, so I don't see much conflict. I'm also a rail advocate so guess that lumps me in there too

1 minute ago, Texas73 said:

I voted at the Old Quarry Library in Austin during early voting. Rather than being asked verbally which primary I want to vote in I clicked on the Democratic icon. Maybe the official helping knew which primary I was voting in but no one else.

yeah, it was not verbal for me or my gf either - just a selection on the screen. 

• Like 1

Game day thread?

Let’s make it so.

And yeah, in Travis county, I just checked a box selecting which primary I was voting in (being that the Monster Raving Looney party has no presence here, I voted in the Democratic primary).

Each county has some discretion on how they set up their poll sites.   Stassney is right about having to declare which primary you want to vote in.  My county has a card on the table by the poll book and you can either state what party you choose or simply point.   So while verbal commitment isn't required, some sort of commitment is.  

I think the larger counties will set up the tables for different parties and assign quantity of machines per party at that site according to the historical split of voters in that precinct.   The number of machines available in that fashion often discourage voting due to overly long lines (this is one reason there aren't propositions on the Dem ballots, to speed up the process). 

But many smaller counties just have one check in table and all the rest of the machinery is shared.  And all of those details are spelled out in a joint contract between the two parties and the county Election administration.  

https://www.reddit.com/live/1cmjx7iocrgff/

this is the results for all Super Tuesday, which may be better for the 2024 Presidential thread. I’ll let our benevolent mod decide. scroll from bottom to up

Texas Election Source, Scott Braddock and Jeremy Wallace are good follows and of course #txlege will be a good search on Twitter

• Hook 'Em 1

The BBC reporting on the results somewhere like Bexar County will be as useful as CNN going over the results for Basildon & Billericay in a UK election

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

This is why I voted in the R primary

Screenshot

Screenshot_20240305-191335.png

Streaming and Rumble is about right.

That line up is about as appealing as the rumblings of bubble gut and the resulting stream of hot diarrhea.

54 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

“Only voters registered as Republicans should be allowed to vote in the Republican primary.”

Uh, no.

I saw that disclaimer when I selected dem. 

Made me chuckle.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

That's good.  He was targeted hard by the Red money in hopes to unseat him.

I voted against Garza, and I'm no Republican. Yes, "Red" money targeted him, but voting for Garza just because Rs opposed him makes you no better than the Rs who continue to support Trump simply because he's on their same team.

Edited by Cap33
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

I voted against Garza, and I'm no Republican. Yes, "Red" money targeted him, but voting for Garza just because Rs opposed him makes you no better than the Rs who continue to support Trump simply because he's on their same team.

No, it makes you a lot fucking better than someone who supports Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

No, it makes you a lot fucking better than someone who supports Trump. 

I'm talking about the people who don't like him but still vote for him because he has an R next to his name. 

The opposite, but equally dumb are the people who say, "Garza is doing a shit job, but I'm still voting for him because fuck this Red money supporting his opponent."

Edited by Cap33

Just now, Cap33 said:

I'm talking about the people who say they don't like him but in truth love everything he does because they’re batshit crazy and of course still vote for him because he has an R next to his name but mostly because they are selfish, deluded morons who view politics as merely a means to punish the villains of the apocalyptic fan fiction playing on a continuous loop in their hallucinating mushbrains. 

Fify

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

That's good.  He was targeted hard by the Red money in hopes to unseat him.

He was targeted by Red money because he sucks and Dem money won’t be spent to oust a Democratic incumbent.  

If you wanted to see a change in the policing of downtown this would have been a great way to encourage that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Tom Emmer (sp?) House Maj Whip on Hulu Super Tuesday coverage.

What a complete gaslighting dick hole.

Also, the whole both sides / border talk / Biden age talk and not focusing on Trumps retribution tour and the death of democracy is so fucking sad.

Media falling for this hook line and sinker.

Ill be on the ledge

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Tom Emmer (sp?) House Maj Whip on Hulu Super Tuesday coverage.

What a complete gaslighting dick hole.

Also, the whole both sides / border talk / Biden age talk and not focusing on Trumps retribution tour and the death of democracy is so fucking sad.

Media falling for this hook line and sinker.

Ill be on the ledge

The rightwing is whipping our asses in the propaganda game. It’s not a fair fight, though. While their side is populated with drooling zombies who nod their heads and squeal with delight at whatever idiotic nonsense they’re fed, we have a bunch of objective critical thinkers who say things like “It is true that Biden is old and gets confused” and “I wish we had better choices” and “Biden is fucking up the Israel thing and maybe I should protest vote.” 

It sure must be nice to be in the business of convincing idiots to do whatever you want. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Gutierrez is more progressive than Colin which probably means Colin has a more realistic chance of defeating Rafael in the general.