Cal Poly @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY–Texas RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr. (0-0. 3.60) vs. Cal Poly LHP Jakob Wright (1-0, 1.35)
SATURDAY–Texas RHP Charlie Hurley (0-0, 2.45) vs. Cal Poly RHP Steven Brooks (0-1, 2.57)
SUNDAY–Texas RHP Cody Howard (1-0, 0.00) vs. Cal Poly RHP Ryan Baum (0-1, 9.82)

As has already been mentioned, Sunday's game will not be shown live on LHN.

7 minutes ago, Teebox said:

pardon my ignorance, but why isn't sunday's game televised? 

They’re showing the concurrent softball game against ULL live. That starts at 12:30. The baseball game begins at 1 and will be aired from 2:30-5:30.

However, I’m curious if we’ll still be able to catch it live on ESPN+

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

They’re showing the concurrent softball game against ULL live. That starts at 12:30. The baseball game begins at 1 and will be aired from 2:30-5:30.

That is the story.   You can always listen to the game on texas.leanplayer.com assuming they have their shit together finally. 

Could be starting up to 4 freshmen at some point this weekend (Gasparino, Borba, Sanders, Kennedy).

It's funny how last season at the beginning we all talked about how the team was too young and inexperienced, and this year's team is probably significantly younger than last year. Flores, Thomas, Belyeu, Galvan and Duplantier are all sophomores combined with the freshmen mentioned above. 

58 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Could be starting up to 4 freshmen at some point this weekend (Gasparino, Borba, Sanders, Kennedy).

It's funny how last season at the beginning we all talked about how the team was too young and inexperienced, and this year's team is probably significantly younger than last year. Flores, Thomas, Belyeu, Galvan and Duplantier are all sophomores combined with the freshmen mentioned above. 

The lens of February completely fluctuates based on if we play in Arlington or Houston. Playing elite teams opening weekend ruins perspective.  

Our current crop of freshman would’ve probably gone 0fer like Flores/Galvan/JT (did JT have 1 hit?) to start last year if they had to see SEC arms in their first weekend of college baseball. If so, we’d be whining just the same about inexperience. 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve got 4 tickets (2 in 109 and 2 in L3) and one parking pass to the game tonight and I’m out of town. If anyone wants them send me a PM and I can transfer electronically. 

EDIT: Tix are gone, hook ‘em!

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

The lens of February completely fluctuates based on if we play in Arlington or Houston. Playing elite teams opening weekend ruins perspective.  

Our current crop of freshman would’ve probably gone 0fer like Flores/Galvan/JT (did JT have 1 hit?) to start last year if they had to see SEC arms in their first weekend of college baseball. If so, we’d be whining just the same about inexperience. 

Good point. There is something to be said for guys getting acclimated and finding their footing early.

It will be interesting to see how we schedule non-conference games moving forward. I bet we still go to Arlington and Houston regularly, but is there a need to test yourself outside of that before you play 30 SEC games? I noticed LSU's non-conference series this year are Northern Illinois (2), Stony Brook (2), VMI (2), Central Arkansas (2), Xavier (3) and North Dakota State (2). Even their trip to Houston is one game against us and then playing Texas State and Louisiana. Lots of stat padding before they head into the real part of their schedule.

Edited by Hookem2147

It's telling that they already announced that Witt is not one of the starters. Pearce said last Sunday that he "just didn't have it" and that's why he pulled him early. Yet he not starting this weekend. Sadly, not sure he'll make it am the way back. Maybe the plan is to start him on a weeknight game. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

It's telling that they already announced that Witt is not one of the starters. Pearce said last Sunday that he "just didn't have it" and that's why he pulled him early. Yet he not starting this weekend. Sadly, not sure he'll make it am the way back. Maybe the plan is to start him on a weeknight game. 

I would like to see WItt in a blowout situation just throwing strikes, not trying to protect anything.  EIther this weekend or next Tuesday.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Witt should be a non option until his fastball is back over 90. I’m not even worried about the strikes, his stuff is a dud 

If that is your criteria then the people two years ago who said he would never pitch another meaningful inning for us were correct.

5 minutes ago, petscii said:

If that is your criteria then the people two years ago who said he would never pitch another meaningful inning for us were correct.

They look pretty correct right now. He doesn’t have it. At all. I don’t know why but it is what it is.

5 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

What fucking moron decided that putting our womens softball team on TV so they can run rule ULL was a better move than putting the baseball team on TV? What the fuck

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Depends on how one interprets this. He pitched meaningful innings last year. Even had some successful ones.

Started in the de facto Big 12 title game on Sunday vs WV and the regional final vs  Miami. I’d call the WV outing the only successful one 

TCU .2 IP 3 ER

KU 1 IP 3bb

SJSU 3 IP 3 ER 2 clean innings, 1 messy

WV 3 IP 0 ER

Miami 2 IP 3 ER 1 clean inning, one messy

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

What fucking moron decided that putting our womens softball team on TV so they can run rule ULL was a better move than putting the baseball team on TV? What the fuck

I think it would make more sense to flip the two games, even with an 11:30 start,  so Cal Poly can hit the road home, since ULL is a lot closer.  But, I don't know if ULL softball flies or drives to Austin.

3 minutes ago, SameSame said:

We don’t have any right handed hitters to mix in at the front of this lineup?

I don't think we're gonna set our lineup based on who Cal Poly is throwing in the 5th game of the season. 

• Haha 1

Just now, B00M said:

Random Q: any of yall have a good ticket guy? Wanting to take the wife to aggy game and my old ticket guy (Phil) has either died or gotten a new number.  

Yeah, his name is Stub Hub. He actually has a website https://www.stubhub.com/texas-longhorns-baseball-austin-tickets-3-5-2024/event/152550349/?quantity=2