Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

With 20’s the tire size works out fine with a leveling kit. With 22’s you can still go with a 33/34 but to get more sidewall you’re going to have to go to a true lift at that point. 33/34 is all you’re going to get under the front with the leveling kit.

I just replaced my BFG’s with Coopers at 38k miles. I use a local tire shop and he recommended the Coopers because they wear better. The BFG’s were cupped and did not wear evenly at all.

This is with a Fox leveling kit.

401b5500a79e6df146a13b5aa5937ab5.jpg61963df02f0b0fa67246273e5380baaf.jpg

Edited by Brew
  • Like 3

That looks perfect Brew.

Lat and I were talking on the phone yesterday about leveling kits.

Probably the way I'm gonna go.

25 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

This is true. My wife thinks I'm insane. I told her this (suburban w/ level kit and big tires) is my midlife crisis and as far as those go this one's pretty tame so she should be grateful.

Yeah I don't have a wife anymore (Thank you Allah, Yahweh, Speghetti Monster, Neil Degrasse, whoever) so this truck and this are my mlc.  I guess a Harley and Corvette are next.  FML..

05BD7E99-8AEC-49BE-AB5A-B8810A268F04_zps

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

This is true. My wife thinks I'm insane. I told her this (suburban w/ level kit and big tires) is my midlife crisis and as far as those go this one's pretty tame so she should be grateful.

I can just see your response now...

d12817f2-8ee0-4a4c-a719-bc9f90ac29f9.mp4

If you tow frequently go with a coil over leveling kit rather than the cheap block kits everyone around here uses. I went with a block kit the first truck I leveled and hated it especially towing. It always felt like the front end was too loose/sloppy. I’ve been using the Fox stage 1 kit since and will not go back. However, I have noticed with this truck I’m not a big fan of the Fox rear shocks while towing. They are great when the truck is unloaded with no bounce back over bumps/rough roads, but when towing it translates every road imperfection through the truck and just has a strange feel with them under load. It’s not what the tears are meant for and it shows. 

I have not kept a set through the time period where you are supposed to have them rebuilt either so I don’t know what that entails.

Edited by Brew

I haven’t been able to get but 45-50k out of the KO2’s.  Rotated religiously, pressure at 62/70 as spec.   They wear perfect and balance is great, but I just can’t get the miles out of them.  My last set of nittos went 55 before I lost one belt, or I would have gotten 60.  On 3/4-ton GM. 

• Like 1

I work from home most days of the week so I don't put too many miles on my vehicles.  Seldom more than 10K per year.  Which is why I'm not overly worried about tire wear (or fuel mileage for that matter).  

What's more important to me is ride quality while driving normally, and also while towing.  

I haven’t been able to get but 45-50k out of the KO2’s.  Rotated religiously, pressure at 62/70 as spec.   They wear perfect and balance is great, but I just can’t get the miles out of them.  My last set of nittos went 55 before I lost one belt, or I would have gotten 60.  On 3/4-ton GM. 

After lifelong KO2 commitment. You and the crew have me running on Nittos. They do seem to wear a lot more even for me which means more miles.

Cajun, I’d have to do some digging, but I think I have before and after leveling pics on my ‘10 F150 with the stock tires and then with 285 BFGs.
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, Cajun said:

Funny the difference between men and women.

Surly crowd -That would look cool!

My daughter and girlfriend just now - that's the same truck, I don't get it.

Similarly, I can't tell the difference between any of the half-dozen pair of black high heeled shoes my wife owns.

Men and women are just wired differently, and that's a good thing!

37 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

After lifelong KO2 commitment. You and the crew have me running on Nittos. They do seem to wear a lot more even for me which means more miles.

Cajun, I’d have to do some digging, but I think I have before and after leveling pics on my ‘10 F150 with the stock tires and then with 285 BFGs.

The comments/reviews on the Nitto Grapplers mention they are pretty quiet and ride well for tires that have such aggressive tread.  Have you found that to be true?

I've had my last two vehicles 12 years each..  Both were SUVs by GM.  Your Toyota should easily make 9.5. 
Cars and trucks are made so much better now, than they were in the late 70s/80s.  My first car was a 1981 Dodge Omni.  What a POS.  Then a 1986 Chrysler Laser Turbo which I loved, but also had to replace the alternator three times and the plastic radiator was nothing but JB Weld by the time I'd had it for 4 years.  

I had a laser too.

Any opinions/experience with Nitto Grappler tires?
Looking at a set for my F150.
Like these...
37449d1502131792-plz-post-pics-nitto-trail-terra-grapplers-f150-s-fx4-1.jpg

Fwiw that's what the guys at discount talked me into this week. They claim best quality at most reasonable price but who knows. I think terra is more street then ridge all terrain then trail off-road. I ordered some ridges and some smaller wheels (selling the 22's I mentioned above). Supposed to be here in a few days.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

The comments/reviews on the Nitto Grapplers mention they are pretty quiet and ride well for tires that have such aggressive tread.  Have you found that to be true?

My terra grapplers lasted well, wore well, were relatively quiet (not as quiet as KO2s) and did good off-road.   At the time, they had an insane load rating too, but they did away with that set.  They were better off-road than my BFG ATs.  They rode “rougher” if that makes any sense. I went nitto, BFG, back to nitto (and switched right back with under 1k miles) to another 2 sets of KO2s.   They are good tires, I like them slightly less than my KO2s. They are a $250 cheaper on the set in my size as well. 

• Like 1

My terra grapplers lasted well, wore well, were relatively quiet (not as quiet as KO2s) and did good off-road.

We did a poll amongst old co-workers years ago, but now I’m failing to remember the results.

I do remember the day I left discount I thought the Terra were louder at low speed, but about the same over 45.

I’m satisfied enough with the price point that it’ll take some impressive reviews to get me back to KO2s
  • Like 1

I like my KO2s mainly because they have a ridiculously strong sidewall, which is good for the places I go (Big Bend, Utah, Arizona, Southeast California, etc.). For next time, however, I am thinking about Cooper ST Maxx, which I have heard good things about. They make a “pizza cutter” size for my wheel, which I’m thinking about going with.

41 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

We did a poll amongst old co-workers years ago, but now I’m failing to remember the results.

I do remember the day I left discount I thought the Terra were louder at low speed, but about the same over 45.

I’m satisfied enough with the price point that it’ll take some impressive reviews to get me back to KO2s

When I lost that belt on my first set of nittos leaving me too bald on the remaining 3 and 10k miles short, I bought my first set of KO2s.  I only tried them because I was pissed at the situation, and the discount guy gave me full price back for the destroyed tire, leveling the prices out. Since then I’ve paid the premium.  I agree with llano, they seem louder and rougher at low speed and the same at high. I mentioned above they used to have one set that had a crazy weight rating. If they still had that one, I’d go back.  Cheaper and more mileage than my current KO2s.  Both quality tires that won’t disappoint. 

I want the Ridges for the look, but am figuring I should probably go Terras for the ride.

Thoughts?

I don't forsee much off-roading in this thing, just towing a wakeboard boat around CENTEX.

I don't know though, I may get out to Discount and look at the Ridges and just say "fuck it, slap 'em on!"  I'm stupid that way.

Edited by Cajun

No, I'm not going to let it ride.

I'm going to head out to Texas Hitch and let them advise me on how to proceed before I get tires.  I'm going to lift it for sure, but exactly how much and what the details are I haven't a freakin' clue.  I've never gone through the process before and eventhough I'm no rookie to trucks, I'm one in this department.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

I want the Ridges for the look, but am figuring I should probably go Terras for the ride.

Thoughts?

I don't forsee much off-roading in this thing, just towing a wakeboard boat around CENTEX.

I don't know though, I may get out to Discount and look at the Ridges and just say "fuck it, slap 'em on!"  I'm stupid that way.

Short trips I’d get something aggressive just because.  It’s a play truck anyhow. 

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Thoughts?

Ridges in the back, terras in the front, cowboy!

Had Texas Hitch order my lift kit today.

4.5 inches.

Installed no later than Wednesday, then comes the tires.  Allegedly I can up to 35s after the lift. Got 20s on now.  We'll see soon enough I guess.

Edited by Cajun

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

I don't know if I'm going that high on size, but it's nice to know where the ceiling is.

That truck should have 265’s or 275’s on it now which are 30-32 inches stock. Going to a 35 isn’t going to be that big a difference. If you’re going with the lift and not just the level, you’re going to want the 35’s in the long run I would think. I don’t know anyone that has ever said they should have gone with a smaller tire as long as they didn’t exceed the maximum of what the lift would clear.

11 hours ago, Brew said:

35’s should not be a problem, a leveling kit will get you right up to 33/34’s with no issues.

They're telling me that with my leveling kit the 34's will just barely rub on the front wheel wells closest to the cab on a full turn.  Discount guys are saying it's just barely that it's not a big deal at all.  Any thoughts on this?  

This is a 34x11 with the wheel turned to the point it gets the closest. I haven’t had one rub on a 2015 or 2017 although it was closer on the 2015 because of the way the wheel well was laid out. I’ve probably never gone to full lock either while turning. The coil overs are adjusted to a 2 inch level.

26f84b2542fd05bdbc91036f88e6e16e.jpg

Edited by Brew

My 2015 F150 runs 275/55/20 K02s  with a leveling kit.  Runs 40 lbs of pressure.  Will the 285/65/20 fit and look right?  I am a K02 fan because of the sidewall.  I spend a lot of time hunting in West Texas and the limestone shards are hell on tires.  The K02s hold up the best for me and all of my rancher friends use the same.  

I don't see any purpose on that Ram tailgate.  I guess I am missing something with how some need to access the bed?  At least the GM tricked up tailgate has a step function that could have some practical use, but the rest of it doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't see any purpose on that Ram tailgate.  I guess I am missing something with how some need to access the bed?  At least the GM tricked up tailgate has a step function that could have some practical use, but the rest of it doesn't make any sense to me.

The advantage would be if you are trying to reach in to get something, you don’t have to contend with 2 ft of tailgate to reach across. There are plenty of times I’m just trying to grab something out of the back and can’t quite reach it. I would rather have the GM tailgate though.