Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Reputable?  Motortrend maybe.  Car and Driver?  Lulz! :)

(I've got sport mode, too.  I try not to use it. I have a hard enough time keeping my foot out of the gas in standard mode.  In Sport, it's pretty much impossible not to go racing every time you drive) ;)

Look. Motortrend (and their ilk) performed highly instrumented and controlled tests on both and surmised that the Raptor is 5.1-5.3 and the RO eco boost is 5.6-5.7. Both are very fast. Both are faster than many sports/sporty cars. But the Raptor isn’t built for drag racing. It’s built for much more. So, let’s agree that these turbo trucks are fast and very compelling. But very different in their build for purpose, assuming you plan to drive them to their potential as intended. 

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Look. Motortrend (and their ilk) performed highly instrumented and controlled tests on both and surmised that the Raptor is 5.1-5.3 and the RO eco boost is 5.6-5.7. Both are very fast. Both are faster than many sports/sporty cars. But the Raptor isn’t built for drag racing. It’s built for much more. So, let’s agree that these turbo trucks are fast and very compelling. But very different in their build for purpose, assuming you plan to drive them to their potential as intended. 

You seem to be taking this way more seriously than I am.  So, sure!

I'll still kick your ass in a drag race.  Wanna try me?  I gots the Sport mode, too!  :)

I really liked the Tundras but couldn’t configure a 2017 the way I wanted. I wanted some of the Platinum features and some of the TRD Pro features but couldn’t get it from the factory. The lack of options was the big downside I had with Toyota. 

That's because the coolest setups are "port installed", i.e. you can't order a Texas Edition from the factory, but not only does it have upgraded wheels/tires/steps the incentives on these packages are usually the most aggressive.

I told my Toyota guy what I wanted and he said "you're describing the platinum, but you really don't want that, you want a Texas edition and if chrome door handles are really a deal killer then you can get them aftermarket and save $6k."

I'm sure Ford and GM and Ram do the same kind of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

In the market for a tonneau cover. 2015 Sierra 1500

Want something that’s relatively easy to retract/fold as I use the bed occasionally.
Any recs for type/style or truck nuts outfitter in the Austin area would be appreciated.

Are you looking for something load bearing, or just a cover?  If the latter, there's a whole bunch here, roll up and tri-folds, that you can install yourself in about 15-20 minutes.

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/10A50174.aspx

I had a soft top tri fold like this on my old truck that I could install/take off in about 5 minutes.

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/lund-genesis-tri-fold-tonneau-cover

Once I get a new truck in spring, I may upgrade to more of a hard top.

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/proz-profold-premium-tonneau-cover

Edited by Buffsoldier
  • Like 1

the Rivian R1T all electric truck was officially revealed this morning, and is available for preorder (with $1,000 refundable deposit).  Its around the size of a honda ridgeline or chevy colorado. up to 400+ mile range, but the 200 mile battery starts at $69,000 before $7,500 rebate.

I saw a rumor of a "marathon model", which would include the big battery, but be light on upgrades.

0-60 in 3 seconds, decent offroad specs.

http://products.rivian.com/?mc_cid=ecc522b5f0&mc_eid=64622ba12f

rivian-r1t-truck-10.jpg

0060ba4355a9a8e2b593677774d36fb5.jpg

Edited by jofus

22 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Article on Jalopnik said 11,000 pounds.

It's an electric engine so its torque should be outstanding. The 1400Nm in the specs above translates to a little over 1,000 lb-ft.  If the body can handle it, that's fine.

But I guess I'd be more worried about its towing range than its towing capacity. If it can only go 200 miles on a standard set of batteries, how far would it get towing a 10,000 lb trailer?  Even the 400 mile battery pack should have considerably less than that while towing.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's an electric engine so its torque should be outstanding. The 1400Nm in the specs above translates to a little over 1,000 lb-ft.  If the body can handle it, that's fine.

But I guess I'd be more worried about its towing range than its towing capacity. If it can only go 200 miles on a standard set of batteries, how far would it get towing a 10,000 lb trailer?  Even the 400 mile battery pack should have considerably less than that while towing.

Oh definitely, will be interesting to see, and I hope they are successful. More options for us only makes the market better.

Just now, UnivTex34 said:

Oh definitely, will be interesting to see, and I hope they are successful. More options for us only makes the market better.

Definitely! And I personally like the way it looks, it's unique.  JMO of course.

I certainly think there's room for a really good hyrbid in this market, as Anton Chigurh mentioned.  I suspect it would be pricey, but what about trucks ISN'T expensive these days?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Finally picked up the new truck.  Took a month longer than anticipated from Ford.  Headed next week for headache rack and tool box.  Possibly a brush guard.  Trying to figure out if I want to do a leveling kit and bigger shoes now or wait a bit.  Decisions, decisions.

IMG-0225-2.jpg

Jeez, are you trying to spend a hundred grand?

Finally picked up the new truck.  Took a month longer than anticipated from Ford.  Headed next week for headache rack and tool box.  Possibly a brush guard.  Trying to figure out if I want to do a leveling kit and bigger shoes now or wait a bit.  Decisions, decisions.
IMG-0225-2.jpg
What kind of towing do you do?