Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

For those putting on new shoes, what are you doing with the old/new ones? I can’t comprehend putting on new tires when I have new tires.

BUT BIGGER IS BETTER! :)

I'll likely do a leveling kit too, soon, and bigger shoes would have to go with it.  Even though the current tires only have ~2K miles on them.  I suspect I'll keep the old-new tires in the garage in case I want to go back.

That’s a good looking truck. Not usually into the two tone paint but that paint combo works really well.

Thanks.  My last truck was two tone as well.  I really liked the light tan / dark tan combo, but my company logo has silver in it, so I wanted to do the same color combo.

Jeez, are you trying to spend a hundred grand?

I know, I know.  They've gotten stupid expensive.  My BIL works at the dealership, so that took some of the sting out of it.  We've bought six trucks from them this year, so I got a pretty decent deal on this one since it was my personal truck.  Also, as a business owner, I needed to spend some money this year to avoid paying Uncle Sam too much.  I had my last truck ('04 F150) for 11 years.  Finally traded it in on this one with 242K miles on the odometer.  I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, so I justified it to myself by that type of ROI.

What kind of towing do you do?

Quite a bit.  And a lot of it is heavy.  We have another F350 flat-bed dually and we just picked up an F450 flat-bed dually last week as well.  We tow heavy dump trailers, equipment, etc.  I need to be able to move them around as well.  Looking to add a gooseneck dump trailer next year along with a gooseneck flat-bed dovetail that we can haul our Bobcats with.  I'll get my money's worth out of this one, and the tow / haul capability is why I went with the one ton.

Remove all the emissions crap and you'll be much happier. Lots of folks make the delete kits; Sinister, pure power diesel, throughbred diesel etc. Not telling you nothing you dont know already but diesels live and die by fuel, fillters and fluids. Take care of those three and she'll live a long time. Nice ride!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

For those putting on new shoes, what are you doing with the old/new ones? I can’t comprehend putting on new tires when I have new tires.

I use a locally owned tire shop. He trades them in and gives decent value if they are fairly new.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

I know, I know.  They've gotten stupid expensive.  My BIL works at the dealership, so that took some of the sting out of it.  We've bought six trucks from them this year, so I got a pretty decent deal on this one since it was my personal truck.  Also, as a business owner, I needed to spend some money this year to avoid paying Uncle Sam too much.  I had my last truck ('04 F150) for 11 years.  Finally traded it in on this one with 242K miles on the odometer.  I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, so I justified it to myself by that type of ROI.

Wouldn't the F250 qualify for full, year one depreciation since it is over 6000 lbs?  

23 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Wouldn't the F250 qualify for full, year one depreciation since it is over 6000 lbs?  

It certainly does.  I opted for the F350 solely based on increased gooseneck towing capacity.  We need a larger (heavier) dump trailer and I'm upgrading to a gooseneck flatbed so I can haul both our Bobcats on the same load.  Price difference between F250 and F350 was relatively negligible and gave more versatility.  

• Like 1

The Titan has boxes that you can mount onto the bed track rails. You can remove them easily if you want. Way better design than the Ram Box IMO - nothing permanently built into the bed wall of the truck.

Now if only you didn't have to purchase a fucking Nissan Titan to get them.

16TDI_TTNhelios005.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.sma

Edited by smuggs

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone put a stubby antenna on?  I’m wondering how reception is affected. 

I was disappointed with mine.  I live in the center of the DFW Metroplex, so I expected decent reception.  Basically, only the highest power stations (i.e. top 40, top rap, Nashville country, etc.) came in consistently.  AM reception was intermittent at best, and if it could even acquire a HD signal, it would drop it frequently.  Went back to factory; still want to look at others that won’t smack my garage door.

Edited by solamente73
2018 F150 with 4” Cravenspeed Stubby

27 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Lately a truck radio antenna is just about as useful as a 3rd nipple. I don't remember the last time I listened to anything other than siriusXM or spotify.

I don’t either. It’s more for aesthetics, but I’d like to maintain functionality so if one is better, I’d just as soon figure it out and buy that one.  Living among mountains doesn’t help. 

17 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Anyone excited about the new Ford Bronco?  I wish Ford would go ahead and let the cat out of the bag.

i am.  i think they're going to knock it out of the park.  The reveal is slated for the detroit auto show in January.

12 minutes ago, jofus said:

i am.  i think they're going to knock it out of the park.  The reveal is slated for the detroit auto show in January.

I'm very curious.   I've been driving an F-150 for the most part going back to 2001 with my current 2017 Super Crew  being the latest one.  So I figured by 2021, I'll be ready for something new and  with two of my three kids flying the coup,  my needs have changed a bit.   I don't expect it  to be the Bronco of old in size, but if it can give me the durability and the cargo space I need for week long trips to the Hill Country or the Big Bend, I'm a buyer   The guess out there on what it looks like are like shooting darts in the dark, but the teasers Ford actually released have it looking like a smaller version of the old Bronco but still larger than a Jeep Wrangler.  

On 12/6/2018 at 11:41 PM, Buffsoldier said:

Speaking of 2020's:

2020-ram-2500-heavy-duty-power-wagon-fro

2020-ram-2500-heavy-duty-power-wagon-sid

2020-ram-2500-heavy-duty-laramie-longhor

I don't know.  I mean, I guess. It's certainly better looking than the Chev.  Just doesn't wow me like it should.

You can see all 58 spy shots here: http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1812-spied-2020-ram-heavy-duty-completely-uncovered/#photo-01

I've seem more Rams around as of late.   I don't know it's a trend, but it kind of reminds me back in the mid 90's when Ram or what was called Dodge back then radically redesigned it and they were all over the place.  

The thing that has kept me from ever buying one is the resale values  on Rams are in toilet vs Ford or Toyota.  And the quality of the interiors goes to crap sooner than the others.  Having said that, I've looked at the newer versions and talked to few people who used to be diehard Ford and Chevy guys who give their new Ram's good grades and they were hesitant themselves about taking a chance.  I think Ram also has been more generous with their rebates as well vs GM, Toyota and Ford and have thrown owners of the three just mentioned a few extra bones to give Ram a try. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

I like what Ford has done with the new Ranger so I'm hopeful they won't screw up the Bronco. They've turned the Explorer into such a soft grocery getting crossover and they need the Bronco to be a bit beefier. 

Yes, but to be fair it’s going back to a RWD platform next gen. Same platform as the new Aviator.

Pretty much all of the manufacturers have turned their SUV platforms into station wagons.  That's the main reason I ended up buying a pickup.  The towing capacity on most SUVs has dropped through the floor.  I would have loved to take a look at a modern Suburban or Expedition with the towing specs I wanted (and they used to have) but finding one now without special-ordering is essentially looking for a unicorn.

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

The Expedition can tow more now than at any time in its history. Every generation update has increased towing capacity.

It's now at 9300 pounds with the towing package. 

Finding that towing package in the used vehicle market and then picking it up before someone else does is almost impossible.  Believe me I tried for months before switching my search to pickups.

Edited by utee94

I just bought a used Expedition like two months ago. Nearly every Expedition with XLT trim or higher had the tow package. At least around DFW way more had it than did not.

I ended up with a 2017 Limited with around 40k miles 

Edited by Hawndoh

It was pretty much a unicorn in Austin when I was looking last summer.

That's ok, I've grown to really like my new F150, and I kept my old Tahoe for the extra seating capacity and for towing the boat in cases where we're taking both the RV and the boat somewhere.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:35 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Former Pontiac exec, now with Chevy:  ya know the only problem with the Aztec was that it just wasn’t big enough. 

21 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Looks like a Pontiac Aztec on steroids.   WTF is GM thinking?

Answered two weeks before you asked. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto