Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 3/21/2023 at 6:05 PM, davidg said:

Noticed a construction screw head melded into my truck tire Sunday night after coming back from the ranch.  Was hoping to get another 7-10k out of this set but just paid $1380 at Discount for 3 new KO2s and a new cert for the replacement. Paid $1302 for the last full set  in June ‘21.  Got 43k out of them so not too bad but was hoping for a few more miles before dropping the cash on a new set. 

C3E1859F-C601-49D4-A582-45CB313C5599.thumb.jpeg.e5ea4c499501bdfffdd4da62ad943c02.jpeg

$10 to $12 patch at any mexican tire shop (cash)

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

$10 to $12 patch at any mexican tire shop (cash)

Yeah, that works too but I’ve put 7500 miles on the truck since then and would have already needed a new set and Discount credited the one with the hole in it.

As an update, I’m 3 years and 10 days in on my Ram 2500. 72K miles with about 10% of that towing our travel trailer and another 3-4K towing our boat or a utility trailer.

I’ve taken in the shop once to do a recall and I need to get it back in for the high pressure pump recall but other than that it’s been fuel, oil, filters and tires.  Very happy with the purchase.  Display MPG reads 20mpg on long trips if I keep it around 70 and dips to 18.5 at 80mph

B943F5C0-AE18-4A8B-A158-F73F7E49B60D.thumb.jpeg.b0693ea70fa9c7c31aaa83eac8ca7a01.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I really miss the days of hitting 60k-70k with bfg's and having to replace due to dry rot. Sub 50k tires are not our standard. I had to replace my tires due to a road trip and a giant bolt that destroyed my Michelin. Bought nittos and I would not recommend. Still a bunch of tread in them but they are at sub 50% traction 40k into their life. Slicker than owl shit. Gonna replace with toyo when I finally have had enough.

Edited by HOOKEM4

I've been in my 2014, Ford F-150, (XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, crew cab) for five years and am trying my best to keep her going. That being said, I've been eyeing some 2019-22 Tundras. Love the look of those, cannot stand the new ones. Would be hard to get away from the Ecoboost though...I love it.

Wanna know why there aren't many posts about problems with tundras?

My 2018 is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm keeping it forever, since with 78k it's virtually brand new.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Picked up a stowaway in my truck last weekend at the rancho. Will post results.  
IMG_7816.thumb.jpeg.43c4cbdf161fc5bc4208f702790b2c61.jpeg
An old farmer's trick, grab some bars of Irish soap and put them in a sock and place it in the truck/hood etc. Mice and rats hate the minty smell, we did that for the tractors on our farm, and never had an issue after that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My 2018 is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm keeping it forever, since with 78k it's virtually brand new.

My 2017 Tundra has the same mileage. I’ll drive it till it dies. Tires and a battery are all I’ve replaced. Regular oil changes as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

An old farmer's trick, grab some bars of Irish soap and put them in a sock and place it in the truck/hood etc. Mice and rats hate the minty smell, we did that for the tractors on our farm, and never had an issue after that.

Uhh I have some bad news for you, it won't work for field mice. Our rv at the ranch has irish spring, mint diffusers and any other minty thing you can find EVERYWHERE. My wife heard the same thing. The mice don't give a shit, but they sure leave it everywhere.

• Like 1

It’s a mouse. It will get hungry and leave for food, or die. You know, unless you keep feeding it. 

If the mouse is in the cab, it could probably live forever on Whataburger drippings

Everytime I clean my cab I find dried onion, runaway French fries and shredded lettuce in the floorboard and between the west and console.

Uhh I have some bad news for you, it won't work for field mice. Our rv at the ranch has irish spring, mint diffusers and any other minty thing you can find EVERYWHERE. My wife heard the same thing. The mice don't give a shit, but they sure leave it everywhere.
YMMV? Time for gas and a lighter
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:18 PM, BearSchlong said:

Yeah I can't stop looking at them, pricing them online. I've heard nothing but good things about them so when the time comes, Tundra is probably the route I am going. My check engine light just came on again this morning on my Ford after having it worked on. Great. 

Well, I just took the F150 in about a week ago because it was giving me the P0172 (System Too Rich) code. Mechanic said it was the O2 sensors and changed them out. Code gone. Well, that was a week ago. Now, the same code is back again. Any ideas if it is NOT the O2 sensors? I haven't taken it back to the mechanic, but will do so soon. It was my first time to this place but they have a good reputation. Not sure if they just didn't fix it correctly or there is something else causing this code. 

I posted before but it is a 2014 F150, 3.5L ecoboost. About 150,000 miles. When I bought it used I remember the O2 sensors were replaced before I bought it, that was in 2018.

Def sucks. 

20 minutes ago, Dignan said:

Well, I just took the F150 in about a week ago because it was giving me the P0172 (System Too Rich) code. Mechanic said it was the O2 sensors and changed them out. Code gone. Well, that was a week ago. Now, the same code is back again. Any ideas if it is NOT the O2 sensors? I haven't taken it back to the mechanic, but will do so soon. It was my first time to this place but they have a good reputation. Not sure if they just didn't fix it correctly or there is something else causing this code. 

I posted before but it is a 2014 F150, 3.5L ecoboost. About 150,000 miles. When I bought it used I remember the O2 sensors were replaced before I bought it, that was in 2018.

Def sucks. 

After talking about it for close to a year now, hopefully gonna finally pull the trigger on buying a new F150 next weekend. 

Got 6 1/2 good years out the lightly used 2014 KR I bought at Xmas 2016, but I keep inching closer and closer to 100K miles and the AC is beginning to struggle in this extreme summer heat. Really don't want to put any more money into it. Should still be able to get solid value on the trade-in at this point. 

Buying new for the first time ever in my life, but the difference right now between lightly used and new is not enough to justify, and lots of dealerships offering 0% for 36 months on 2023 Lariats. All gonna come down to whether the specific truck I'm looking for (4X4, black or gray exterior, baja tan interior) is available at an acceptable price when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Crazy how hard it is to find one with that combo. Almost every dealership I've looked at has 30+ Lariats available, but 99% of them have the standard gray or black leather.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, tx 3 putt said:

that first sensor is very easy to replace

That could be it. I did CLEAN the MAF sensor before and recently had the O2 sensors replaced. Code still comes up. I am going to replace the MAF sensor (found on Amazon for $67) and see what happens. Fingers crossed. 

That could be it. I did CLEAN the MAF sensor before and recently had the O2 sensors replaced. Code still comes up. I am going to replace the MAF sensor (found on Amazon for $67) and see what happens. Fingers crossed. 
I'd stay away from Amazon auto parts, I've got bitten on those knockoff parts a few times...never again. Plus when it shits out, and it will, good luck trying to return it. Stick with AZ, Oreillys, Advance, Napa, etc. and you can return it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 12:17 PM, Storm the Field said:

After talking about it for close to a year now, hopefully gonna finally pull the trigger on buying a new F150 next weekend. 

Got 6 1/2 good years out the lightly used 2014 KR I bought at Xmas 2016, but I keep inching closer and closer to 100K miles and the AC is beginning to struggle in this extreme summer heat. Really don't want to put any more money into it. Should still be able to get solid value on the trade-in at this point. 

Buying new for the first time ever in my life, but the difference right now between lightly used and new is not enough to justify, and lots of dealerships offering 0% for 36 months on 2023 Lariats. All gonna come down to whether the specific truck I'm looking for (4X4, black or gray exterior, baja tan interior) is available at an acceptable price when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Crazy how hard it is to find one with that combo. Almost every dealership I've looked at has 30+ Lariats available, but 99% of them have the standard gray or black leather.

True , but also the gross cost is just outrageous. Just got back from a lunch with a buddy who bought a new F250 a few weeks ago, a higher end one, but he paid out the door $109k

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, HonkeyVape said:

True , but also the gross cost is just outrageous. Just got back from a lunch with a buddy who bought a new F250 a few weeks ago, a higher end one, but he paid out the door $109k

I bought my last 250. This thing will have to last forever. I was pissed they wanted 60k for a truck. No way I will pay over 100k. I will buy a Porsche and just rent a truck when I need it. FFS.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HonkeyVape said:

He got ripped off and should have looked around more.

Took a peek and the dealer has listed the f250 I traded them for $48,300.  I was guessing 48-50 retail so pretty close.  That’s why I was hoping to get more than 42 for it but the last dumbass place I checked before finalizing the deal here said 35ish lol. 

those guys get so greedy with used margins.