Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Haven't been impressed with the lifespan on the backflips.  Have 3 good friends with them and all of them are rotted out from sun damage.  Fiberglass just blows thru in the corners eventually.  We use the Rollnlocks at work and they seem to do OK.  We don't keep the trucks as long but the guys driving them can fuck up an anvil so good enough for me.  If you change trucks often or are always in a garage guess it wouldn't matter as much. 

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Got my 2024 SLT delivered yesterday. I try to buy about once a decade.

always amazed at the advances in 8-10 short years.

DA5021A5-0F8A-4F09-8932-70315CCAD87A.thumb.jpeg.d1b438293e617522cf57a6946ad7561c.jpeg

and proud of my nephew for his choice of first vehicle that he got last week….he said he wasn’t interested in trading :)

9F4D6894-5B1E-43CD-8A54-7704F5BE686F.thumb.jpeg.36645874322cc83b26e501f02568e5eb.jpeg

OBS Fords that are in really, really good shape or are redone are well into the 30's right now.  And white is the best color for that truck/those years, not even debatable.  Kid did good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have never had a truck without a truck box. These bed covers have me confused. What am I missing? You want a cover get a suburban imo.

I haul music equipment a bunch in the back of my truck and I want to keep it out of the Arizona sun.

I have the Tri fold hard cover. In addition to shade it does a good job of keeping rain out so shit stays pretty dry even in a hard rain. Also you can’t raise it without lowering the tailgate, which on my truck locks with the doors, so it essentially provides security in keeping someone from walking by and helping themselves to any cargo in the bed. Plus it’s easy to take the whole thing off if I need to haul something large and tall, which you can’t do in a suburban.

All in all, it’s pretty damn functional for me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I have never had a truck without a truck box. These bed covers have me confused. What am I missing? You want a cover get a suburban imo.

If they made an SUV with > 9,200 lb tow rating I'd gladly buy it.  I much, MUCH prefer traveling and towing with an SUV over a pickup.  As much as I like my truck, I'd never have even considered it if they still made 3/4 ton Suburbans.

Alas, they do not. So I had to get a pickup.  And when I'm traveling with the family and we're NOT towing, I need dry storage in the bed.

This past July, traded in my F-150 a used 2021 Toyota Tundra. I looked at the new body style, but I have always been a fan of the 2nd gen body. I wanted something that looked good and would be reliable. All I have read/heard about he 5.7L V8 was "hell of an engine", "will last forever", etc. Only drawback is the gas mileage, but I don't drive a truck to save gas. :) This is how she looks now...going to install a leveling kit soon and possibly go from the 20-inch wheels to 18.

tundra.jpeg.fcd026dd01bf3ebd1018e4e8f09c9e2d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

This past July, traded in my F-150 a used 2021 Toyota Tundra. I looked at the new body style, but I have always been a fan of the 2nd gen body. I wanted something that looked good and would be reliable. All I have read/heard about he 5.7L V8 was "hell of an engine", "will last forever", etc. Only drawback is the gas mileage, but I don't drive a truck to save gas.  This is how she looks now...going to install a leveling kit soon and possibly go from the 20-inch wheels to 18.

Enjoy! I love mine.

Currently negotiating for a 2023 F150 King Ranch.  My goal is to get close to 12% of MSRP and we're currently at around 10-11%.  What other things could I try to negotiate in the deal?  Spray in bed liner?  Not sure how much those typically run.  Anything else?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Currently negotiating for a 2023 F150 King Ranch.  My goal is to get close to 12% of MSRP and we're currently at around 10-11%.  What other things could I try to negotiate in the deal?  Spray in bed liner?  Not sure how much those typically run.  Anything else?

Throw in the stupid overpriced rubber mats? Not sure if Ford sells them but GMC does. 

21 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Downsizing your wheels? Are you some kind of animal?

If you're really using a truck for it's intended use, and I realize about 4% of buyers are, then the more sidewall the better. The look on the sales manager's face when I asked to trade for 2"  smaller wheels was unforgettable.  But what he did forget was to swap the spare, too. Realized that when I got back home, 850 miles later.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, Dignan said:

This past July, traded in my F-150 a used 2021 Toyota Tundra. I looked at the new body style, but I have always been a fan of the 2nd gen body. I wanted something that looked good and would be reliable. All I have read/heard about he 5.7L V8 was "hell of an engine", "will last forever", etc. Only drawback is the gas mileage, but I don't drive a truck to save gas. :) This is how she looks now...going to install a leveling kit soon and possibly go from the 20-inch wheels to 18.

Keep the fluids and filters changed and she’ll run forever.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:15 PM, Chewbacca said:

What's funny as shit is seeing pickups in the mountains with 22s (or bigger) trying to drive in the snow.  Even in 4WD, they're all over the place.

Not to mention that big 20+ inch wheels look completely ridiculous. Nothing you could put on a truck looks dumber.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Not to mention that big 20+ inch wheels look completely ridiculous. Nothing you could put on a truck looks dumber.  

Uh, plenty looks dumber.

Those lug nut spikes that stick out 10 inches.

Giant fat smoke stacks that stick up through the bed just behind the cab.

The wheels that stick out 6-10 inches wider than the fenders.

Color LED lights in the wheel wells.

A bed rack with recovery grip ramps, extra fuel cans, a roof top tent, a high rise jack, etc on a daily driver in DFW. And no this person is not on their way to go camping somewhere, I see them every day on my commute. There are no off road mountain trails in Dallas.

That last example might be a bit specific.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:52 AM, otisdog said:

If you're really using a truck for it's intended use, and I realize about 4% of buyers are, then the more sidewall the better. The look on the sales manager's face when I asked to trade for 2"  smaller wheels was unforgettable.  But what he did forget was to swap the spare, too. Realized that when I got back home, 850 miles later.

This is the way.  18's on my TRD Pro and they're phenomenal.  Went with a '34-ish inch, E-rated tire with reinforced sidewalls (Cooper).  So smaller wheels, larger tires than the EOM AT2's it came with.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Taking delivery on a 23 F150 Platinum tomorrow.  Best I could do was 9% off list.  Had to add to the price: spray in bed liner, rolltop bed cover and ceramic window tint.   
I just signed papers today on the same. 2023 F150 Platinum. Got almost 12% off MSRP and spray in liner for free. Caredge.com website came in clutch. Everyone seemed pissy, esp the finance guy so I feel pretty good about it. Did it all online and went in to sign papers. No trade in (their offer wasn't competitive enough)
  • Like 1

If by that you mean how much..?

MSRP was something like $78/79 and change.  I got them to $68 and change.

Side question -- I've got 2 young kids.  Obviously this baby isn't gonna stay cherry, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a back seat protector?  My daughter has a keen skill for kicking the shit out of the seats.  And the 2 year old boy I'm sure will soon have his first truck tantrum any day now...

10 hours ago, Spur08 said:

If by that you mean how much..?

MSRP was something like $78/79 and change.  I got them to $68 and change.

Side question -- I've got 2 young kids.  Obviously this baby isn't gonna stay cherry, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a back seat protector?  My daughter has a keen skill for kicking the shit out of the seats.  And the 2 year old boy I'm sure will soon have his first truck tantrum any day now...

I went through this years back in my old '13 F-150.  Bought the weathertech equivalent for the floors.  Those are a must.  Then they made these seat back protectors that hang down over the driver/passenger seats that have a ton of pockets for stuff but also keep them covered.  For the seats themselves, I had liners under each car seat to protect the leather, and then basically towels for between if needed.  Dogs often road back there so they'd sit on them sometimes.  

Seat protector idea

Seat organizer - keeps show marks off the back of your front seats

32f1b847286cc2c2a5d27443cdded884.jpg
My son has almost finished this beast. 2003 Excursion 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel Eddie Bauer. It had 471k on it but never wrecked. Put in a suspension from a 08 f250 and a lift kit. Minor rebuild of engine, paint, wheels, grill, bumpers, lights. The leather is in great shape. Stripped the carpet, sound deadening, huge stereo. He knocked it out in 90 days

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 6:12 AM, BabaYaga said:

in my old '13 F-150

Have one of these now. Just finished off a 4 day drive from Austin to Seattle in her. 630ish miles per day. Odometer went from 113xxx to 116xxx. Ran like a top the entire drive.  Bed fully loaded with luggage, two dogs in the back seat area. 

in the spirit of the thread, she has a topper (held so much shit back there) and 17s. 

truck with topper is different from suv in that the cab is still isolated from the cargo/bed area, and is not carpeted.  And I can pull the topper off any time I want- it’s just fiberglass with 4 c-clamps.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Have one of these now. Just finished off a 4 day drive from Austin to Seattle in her. 630ish miles per day. Odometer went from 113xxx to 116xxx. Ran like a top the entire drive.  Bed fully loaded with luggage, two dogs in the back seat area. 

in the spirit of the thread, she has a topper (held so much shit back there) and 17s. 

truck with topper is different from suv in that the cab is still isolated from the cargo/bed area, and is not carpeted.  And I can pull the topper off any time I want- it’s just fiberglass with 4 c-clamps.

Loved the truck, but it shit the bed around 130k miles and I had to part ways with it around 140k miles.  I have to say that 2013 had better tech this my 2019 TRD.  And I miss my auto-folding mirrors god dammit…..

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t think I posted the actual truck when it got here but, somewhat surprisingly, I love this thing.  I’ve actually jumped in it on nice days I normally would have taken a “fun car”.  All the little features (cameras everywhere, tailgate, supercruise is great and still works, smart enough to automatically heat seats/stearing wheel, etc) make it super convenient.  I’m sure the lift screwed up the ride but it still rides great.
I wasn’t blown away with the stereo so ripped the stock stereo out, threw in some speakers, couple of 12’s and couple of amps (yes, I am a child) and that fixed it…side note, Custom Sounds on south Lamar sucks imo so had to have someone else fix it.  
Still second guessing if I should have done the 6.2 and supercharged it instead of the baby diesel but really like the diesel.  kinda thought no matter how much HP it has, it’s still gonna be slow.  
Enough rambling, just want to pass on if you want a 1/2 ton, the Denali is awesome and the Ultimate’s interior is pretty much in Escalade territory. 
IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.af01467bb528ade316f7a5cb97bbe988.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Don’t think I posted the actual truck when it got here but, somewhat surprisingly, I love this thing.  I’ve actually jumped in it on nice days I normally would have taken a “fun car”.  All the little features (cameras everywhere, tailgate, supercruise is great and still works, smart enough to automatically heat seats/stearing wheel, etc) make it super convenient.  I’m sure the lift screwed up the ride but it still rides great.
I wasn’t blown away with the stereo so ripped the stock stereo out, threw in some speakers, couple of 12’s and couple of amps (yes, I am a child) and that fixed it…side note, Custom Sounds on south Lamar sucks imo so had to have someone else fix it.  
Still second guessing if I should have done the 6.2 and supercharged it instead of the baby diesel but really like the diesel.  kinda thought no matter how much HP it has, it’s still gonna be slow.  
Enough rambling, just want to pass on if you want a 1/2 ton, the Denali is awesome and the Ultimate’s interior is pretty much in Escalade territory. 

Gorgeous truck!  We've had the 'baby-max' 1500 High Country for about 15,000 miles now, and still love it.  MPG (at least, without a lift ;) ) is amazing, and towing power is ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tell me about supercharging the 6.2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Tell me about supercharging the 6.2

Didn’t dig too much into it. That was just the initial plan and make kind of a GMC RaptorR out of a Denali or AT4-X but then I learned there was a diesel available and wanted that route instead.  Then figured it was dumb to lift a Denali Ultimate but dumber to lift the AT4 or AT4X and I liked the Ultimate’s interior so here she be.  Maybe the 6.2 next time if everything isn’t electric or hybrid by then. 

6 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

Gorgeous truck!  We've had the 'baby-max' 1500 High Country for about 15,000 miles now, and still love it.  MPG (at least, without a lift ;) ) is amazing, and towing power is ridiculous.

What is the mpg before I screwed it up?  I just got about 15 something hanging mainly in the 80’s from Austin to Houston.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 7:35 AM, b_p said:

A few more... this thing is a beast and a blast to drive

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

I couldn’t find a car audio thread, but here’s a teaser of what just happened 

IMG_7507.thumb.jpeg.889dc417f30d64b8eaca0a40221c38f3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

My first purchase on the truck is probably going to be a tonneau cover.  I've never had one so is there anything I should be looking out for/avoiding?  I do think I want a hard cover tri-fold.  Pros/cons?  Any preferred vendors?

My first purchase on the truck is probably going to be a tonneau cover.  I've never had one so is there anything I should be looking out for/avoiding?  I do think I want a hard cover tri-fold.  Pros/cons?  Any preferred vendors?

Con to Tri fold is how much rear window is blocked when you have the entire bed open.  But if you have the entire bed open, aren’t you likely to block your rear view with what you put in the bed?

• Like 1

I’ve had multiple Ultra Cover Under Flex covers and have found zero reason to buy a different one every time I trade. They seal great all the way around including the tail gate, they don’t leak, they are easy to fold, when folded up against the back window there is very little overhang into the bed, they are easy to pop off when you need to remove it, etc.

Through I’m  it sure how many trucks I’ve had (up until this Bronco) within a few days of purchase I would get that bed cover, LineX, Fox Stage 1 and tires (Coopers on the last 3-4), tint the windows, and that would be it.