Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I bought my last 250. This thing will have to last forever. I was pissed they wanted 60k for a truck. No way I will pay over 100k. I will buy a Porsche and just rent a truck when I need it. FFS.

What spec did you end up with?

10 hours ago, HonkeyVape said:

True , but also the gross cost is just outrageous. Just got back from a lunch with a buddy who bought a new F250 a few weeks ago, a higher end one, but he paid out the door $109k

I hired a kid the other day. Fucker shows up to the office in a newish 250KR.  Funny it was spec’d just like one of our C-Suites, but newer.
Oh to not have 3 529’s. 

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

What spec did you end up with?

I hired a kid the other day. Fucker shows up to the office in a newish 250KR.  Funny it was spec’d just like one of our C-Suites, but newer.
Oh to not have 3 529’s. 

Yea my friend doesn’t have kids. I could drive a Lambo if I didn’t have 5 kids.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, Brew said:

As a long time Ford guy, their rear air sucks unless it has been updated with the newest model.

My 2015 (rip) and now 2018 F150s both kick out fairly cold air in the rear vents and enough to cool the cabin down fast enough for the 2 boys. But if it’s not fast enough for them then I just tell ‘em it builds character. My seat is air cooled so I’m good either way.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:17 PM, Storm the Field said:

After talking about it for close to a year now, hopefully gonna finally pull the trigger on buying a new F150 next weekend. 

Got 6 1/2 good years out the lightly used 2014 KR I bought at Xmas 2016, but I keep inching closer and closer to 100K miles and the AC is beginning to struggle in this extreme summer heat. Really don't want to put any more money into it. Should still be able to get solid value on the trade-in at this point. 

Buying new for the first time ever in my life, but the difference right now between lightly used and new is not enough to justify, and lots of dealerships offering 0% for 36 months on 2023 Lariats. All gonna come down to whether the specific truck I'm looking for (4X4, black or gray exterior, baja tan interior) is available at an acceptable price when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Crazy how hard it is to find one with that combo. Almost every dealership I've looked at has 30+ Lariats available, but 99% of them have the standard gray or black leather.

Just wrapped up the haggling. Going to pick her up Saturday morning since it's out at a dealership way out in the sticks. 

730bd4f7663be202ccbb4d7c6a0330d8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 6/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Anyone with the Ford 5.0 had any issues with stuttering at idle when warm? Been dealing with it a few months, with no codes thrown. Had one thrown two weeks ago and it was a VVT Solenoid error. Didn't have time to mess with it so I took it to the dealer, and they claimed it was dirty/slightly low oil that caused it and nothing else. Seems like the Ford forums are littered with the issue being possibly a bad VCT/VVT solonoid. Just got back from a trip and it's doing it again, and threw the code again. 

Well, just got it back from the shop. They replaced the VCT solenoids on one side of the engine. Have a trip to corpus tomorrow, so should be a good test if it’s fixed. The forums are 50/50 whether this fixes it or a full cam phaser job. $700 vs $3k, so really hope it was the solenoids.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, Brew said:

As a long time Ford guy, their rear air sucks unless it has been updated with the newest model.

As a first-time Ford truck guy, the rear AC vents on my F150 are great.  My kids always complain about being too cold.

So I guess YMMV.

Just wrapped up the haggling. Going to pick her up Saturday morning since it's out at a dealership way out in the sticks. 
730bd4f7663be202ccbb4d7c6a0330d8.jpg

Mind sharing how much you got off MSRP? I’ve started looking, but going to try & hold out till Oct, have a 2013 KR w/ 153K miles & it still runs great.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Horns99 said:

Mind sharing how much you got off MSRP? I’ve started looking, but going to try & hold out till Oct, have a 2013 KR w/ 153K miles & it still runs great.

Based off difference between window sticker for this package ($69,150) and final sales price, right around $7650. 

Definitely worth it to look at dealerships out in little country towns. The big dealerships in town ain't cutting many breaks that I've seen. This is 2 straight purchases where I'm gonna drive ~75 miles to save thousands. 

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

As a first-time Ford truck guy, the rear AC vents on my F150 are great.  My kids always complain about being too cold.

So I guess YMMV.

Same.

44 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Based off difference between window sticker for this package ($69,150) and final sales price, right around $7650. 

Definitely worth it to look at dealerships out in little country towns. The big dealerships in town ain't cutting many breaks that I've seen. This is 2 straight purchases where I'm gonna drive ~75 miles to save thousands. 

First drive home is always great, especially a long one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

Practically a king ranch, you just don’t have the automatic running boards and sunroof (unless you got one). Beautiful interior!!

That’s what I was wondering.  So a “hard” loaded Lariat.   I’ll never be in the market for a 1/2 ton but like to keep an eye on what the market is.  

Alright, back from picking up the new ride. Initial thoughts after driving home from the dealership and then making a quick trip to HEB earlier.

1. My word, the difference in turning ability going from an older model with a 6.5' bed to brand new with a 5.5' is night and day. Felt like I was driving my wife's small SUV when it came to the parking lot at the store. No more having to look for a spot way in the back where I can swing out wide. Parking at my office garage is gonna be much easier too. 

2. Today was a really good day to appreciate having a brand new AC system. Ice cold. 100% improvement over my trade-in, which has to be at full blast to even get to tolerable at temps like we've had lately.

3. One thing that will take a little while to get used to is how much "tighter" a new truck is vs old. Just like driving someone else's car you're not used to. Had a few hard stops and jerky takeoffs. Otherwise, the ride is infinitely smoother and quieter.

4. Couple of things left to do to get it the way I fully want it. Gonna go get a spray-in bedliner ASAP, and definitely want to add a tonneau cover eventually. Will probably make that my Xmas gift this year. Also gonna replace the old-timey 21' antenna with a compact version. Hate those things. 

• Like 1

I'd been avoiding buying a tonneau cover because I just didn't want to hassle with it, but since my truck is our main family vehicle and we just drove to Florida and back, I needed something just to keep any potential rain off the luggage in the bed.

It's a soft cover so not great for security, but it served its purpose and worked perfectly for what I bought it for.  I drove through several heavy rainstorms and everything in the bed stayed nice and dry.

https://www.americantrucks.com/proven-ground-f-150-locking-Roll-Up-tonneau-cover-t542740.html

It's also a super-quick install of maybe 20 minutes, and I could uninstall it just as quickly if I wanted.

I’ve had 3 or 4 Undercover Ultra Flex covers and have zero complaints. The mounting hardware doesn’t take up any useable space and it’s easy to use in several different configurations if hauling something.

I have a back flip cover.

It's been pretty good, although I've had to repair one of the cables that you pull to release a section.

I do like that it's rigid and it does not interfere with a rack I also have, so I can put kayaks up on the rack and still fully open and close the back flip. The rack rails have tie downs so I can also tie down something not too heavy on top of the tonneau cover as well.

After a few months of ongoing issues with my 2014 Ford, I decided it was time to move on. Decided on a 2021 Toyota Tundra. 4x4. Leather. Apple Carplay. Whatever else you might need. The only real knock is the gas mileage (actually not that far off from my Ford) but, we still own a 2009 Toyota Matrix (son is driving it now) and she runs fine. After hearing from other Tundra owners I decided that this was the one. I couldn't be happier.

image-4.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

After a few months of ongoing issues with my 2014 Ford, I decided it was time to move on. Decided on a 2021 Toyota Tundra. 4x4. Leather. Apple Carplay. Whatever else you might need. The only real knock is the gas mileage (actually not that far off from my Ford) but, we still own a 2009 Toyota Matrix (son is driving it now) and she runs fine. After hearing from other Tundra owners I decided that this was the one. I couldn't be happier.

image-4.JPG.5b884b224bd73a347f412356f2eeb513.JPG

Congrats on the new ride!
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, I’m in a 2019 2500 Denali now. Never had a diesel before so that’s new. It’s way too high for my tastes, but free is free. 61000k miles, drives damn smooth. 

any tips or suggestions, I’m all in. Can I run car play on this thing ?

IMG_9762.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Welp, I’m in a 2019 2500 Denali now. Never had a diesel before so that’s new. It’s way too high for my tastes, but free is free. 61000k miles, drives damn smooth. 

any tips or suggestions, I’m all in. Can I run car play on this thing ?

IMG_9762.thumb.jpeg.79886589f2c330e3bd832e8c031e8d4e.jpeg
Join the diesel thread bud. Fuel, filters and fluid, get those right and any diesel will run happily for many years.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:45 AM, Dignan said:

image-4.JPG

I was in the same boat - my 2013 Ford shit the bed around 130K and I sold it at 142K.  Went the 2019 TRD Pro Tundra route and I love it.  Agree about the gas mileage, but it's a tank, and it's not too far off what I was getting with the FX4 mileage wise.  Cabin is huge, which is a slight tradeoff on the bed length.  

ONLY think I miss are the climate controlled seats.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Protip, older Fords have filters and if you exist in really dusty areas and have the old style filter (white fiber type) get the new style. My seat was not cooling for shit and I put a shop vac on the intake with the filter removed then replaced with the new filter. Night and day difference. The new filter is just a plastic piece with holes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to say I should have deleted and tuned a decade ago.  My god what a different feeling truck. Before the climate thread group gets their feelings hurt, napkin math on the fuel delta seems to be about 4600 extra gallons I’ve burned with that POS system.  Haven’t run on the 90 or 120 tune yet.  But the others…what a wake up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Deleting and tuning the F250 was a great decision, but I feel bad for some of the tuners now.  Saw EPA is nailing them with 8 figure fines.  And yes, my MPG improved 1-2 MPGs just removing the DPF.  Wasn't going to do the EGR or CAT deletes, as there was just way too much investment at the time.  Also, I wasn't going for the black, prius repellant, rather I was trying to avoid the nasty regen that was occurring almost every day on the way to work.  I always find it interesting how it cost $5000 for a new DPF setup, like $2000 to have the existing one dipped / pickled, or $900 to get a pipe and tune for the truck.  Which one are YOU gonna pick?

• Like 1