Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

45 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I always find it interesting how it cost $5000 for a new DPF setup, like $2000 to have the existing one dipped / pickled, or $900 to get a pipe and tune for the truck.  Which one are YOU gonna pick?

The mileage gain has been huge. I hadn’t had a single problem with the DPF for nearly 300k miles. Never had to force regen, nothing.  But when it did, it wasn’t even a consideration due to the cost delta.  More mpg, power, and 1/3 the cost? Yes please.  I doubt the knob ever comes off stock or 30, just the way I drive; main consideration is reliability and second economy I guess.  

Deleting and tuning the F250 was a great decision, but I feel bad for some of the tuners now.  Saw EPA is nailing them with 8 figure fines.  And yes, my MPG improved 1-2 MPGs just removing the DPF.  Wasn't going to do the EGR or CAT deletes, as there was just way too much investment at the time.  Also, I wasn't going for the black, prius repellant, rather I was trying to avoid the nasty regen that was occurring almost every day on the way to work.  I always find it interesting how it cost $5000 for a new DPF setup, like $2000 to have the existing one dipped / pickled, or $900 to get a pipe and tune for the truck.  Which one are YOU gonna pick?
I've got an older non DEF diesel but they are so restrictive from the factory, it's mind numbing. I removed the factory exhaust and installed a 4" w/ a muffler and EGTs dropped 150 degrees. Added 50HP aftermarket injectors (DDP) and EGTs dropped another 100 degrees and MPG picked up 1.5MPG. Added a bigger turbo and EGTs went up but my tune is a bit off. Next mod is head studs before a compound turbo set up

Made a trip from Florida to Dallas a few weeks back and averaged almost 19MPG empty riding on 35s. I'll take that all day!

EPA is not messing around these days. If you want to delete a truck good luck finding someone. Gonna be shad tree guy or a DIY.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/17/2023 at 11:40 AM, Mother mopar said:

EPA is not messing around these days. If you want to delete a truck good luck finding someone. Gonna be shad tree guy or a DIY.

TunerDepot just did my "off-road" truck. Also, sold me my straight pipe for same "non-registered" "off-road" truck...  But agree, lots of places getting hammered out there.  Many of the small shops that made a name for themselves no longer providing it. 

On 8/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At least now we know who to blame this summer on

Yep.  More infuriating, the delta in mileage shows that I've burned an additional 4k gallons of diesel than otherwise would have.  Curious what the true delta is regarding the environment in fuel burned vs more refined emissions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got 293k miles out of my 2014 Ram diesel, but it was time, as things were starting to go out, and I don’t haul for work anymore, and wanted something to fit in the garage so I traded it in on a 1500.

This truck has the adjustable air suspension which I really like, the side tool boxes which were also a must, 3.92 rear end, and the 5.7L with the 150hp electric regenerative motor. It’s like driving a go kart compared to my 2500. At highway speed, the suspension lowers down and it drops an air dam in the front, really quiet and aerodynamic. Got it up to 105 on the toll road and it wanted to keep going, it feels like you’re going slower than you are. Heads up display and powerful headlights are a huge upgrade for me.

For off road you can raise the suspension up ~2” above normal ride height, worked great filling feeders at the ranch. The suspension auto levels, so it didn’t squat or have any issues with 900lbs of corn and gear in the back.

8b140ab373a3e97cc0bff4014c73aa4c.jpg

691d781c873c543acb53f4d9c2b63e54.jpg

I need to pick out some all terrain tires. Other than that, it’s a great fit for my current life arrangement.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, Mother mopar said:
50 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

They checked for leaks, couldn’t find any 

And still needed a lb of freon, that ain't good.

they thought those valves would need to be replaced. They told me to come back if I thought the temp dropped any, they’d check again at no charge. It’s throwing out ice cubes 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, texashorne said:

I also like that theres none of those stickers on the rear fender.  Way classier this way. Did you have them removed?

I ordered it without the stickers, and I'm really pleased with the clean look.  Now I'm trying to decide if I want satin or gloss ppf (Xpel Ultimate vs. Stealth).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Kid is getting older and keep needing a truck so went full on mid-life crisis stupid and bought a new Denali Ultimate 1500 diesel.  Did the 1500 for ride quality and diesel just because I like it. The most it will ever tow is a 24’ boat about 5 miles.  

It’s getting a 6” lift now and a bed cover just to complete my display of immaturity and stupidity (insert penis size jokes)  

Serious question, anything else it should have while it is in the shop? I don’t really want to replace the bumpers or have a light bar on top of it and don’t want to void the warranty.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Kid is getting older and keep needing a truck so went full on mid-life crisis stupid and bought a new Denali Ultimate 1500 diesel.  Did the 1500 for ride quality and diesel just because I like it. The most it will ever tow is a 24’ boat about 5 miles.  

It’s getting a 6” lift now and a bed cover just to complete my display of immaturity and stupidity (insert penis size jokes)  

Serious question, anything else it should have while it is in the shop? I don’t really want to replace the bumpers or have a light bar on top of it and don’t want to void the warranty.  

<obviously>

Your Nutz 8 Inch Tall Plastic Colors Truck Nuts Choose Your Color (Black)

</obviously>

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Atxracer said:

amp steps are a must for a truck with a lift 

I loved my lineX bed liner and flip bed cover 

Pixxx

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Wait a bed cover is a display of immaturity and stupidity? I thought it was to keep my shit out of the sun and (mostly) dry.

I started wanting a bed cover when my immaturity and stupidity dropped off a cliff (relatively).   Bed cover is when you acknowledge you’re a real adult imo. 

On 11/14/2023 at 6:57 AM, Atxracer said:

Be sure to make the mods so you can roll coal

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, Atxracer said:

I aspire for your car collection.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Be sure to make the mods so you can roll coal

Hah. Definitely won’t be doing that.  Original plan was to supercharge the 6.2 but I just want a diesel.  I will program the diesel when I figure out which one is best. 

49 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I aspire for your car collection.

I really wish I didn’t like cars as much as I do. But, there are worse things…wait, I like the worse things too.  Shit.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ugly as sin but impressive numbers. 2.6 to 60. 11 sec 1/4 mile. 

Also

Police: Florida man threatened mass casualty event at Tesla's Cybertruck Austin unveiling

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/crime/2023/11/30/police-florida-man-threatened-mass-casualty-event-at-tesla-in-austin/71759521007/

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 12/1/2023 at 8:01 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Ugly as sin but impressive numbers. 2.6 to 60. 11 sec 1/4 mile. 

Also

Police: Florida man threatened mass casualty event at Tesla's Cybertruck Austin unveiling

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/crime/2023/11/30/police-florida-man-threatened-mass-casualty-event-at-tesla-in-austin/71759521007/

I didn’t know about all of those innovations until I watched that video. Amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me start with the statement that I really don't have any brand loyalty. I'm looking at getting a light duty truck with one of the higher trim levels around 2023 year (i.e. Ram Longhorn/Limited, F150 King Ranch, or GMC..whichever is on the higher end..Haven't done much research). What is the general Surly opinion on trucks from the leading brands? I'm mainly looking for reliability, comfort, and decent technology..in that order. Coming from a 2013 Tahoe.

My current lead option is a 23 Ram Longhorn Limited but, again, still doing some research and haven't driven anything yet

You will get tons of opinions but I would go test drive the big 4/5. As cliche as it sounds it’s what you like and the style. I love my F150 and hated my Tundra. I thought the seats in the Silverado were uncomfortable. I almost bought an AT4 Sierra but went with a Black Package FX4 with 3.5 ecoboost. I like the way the F150 drives and interior is really nice.

I know Ram has come a long way but I just don’t trust Fiat Chrysler.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Agree 100% with LebongJames.  I've owned multiple vehicles from all 3 of the big American manufacturers and the reliability has been about the same on all of them.

Go to dealers and test drive your options to see what you like.  When I bought my current truck in 2018, rear seat capacity in the crew cab was a very strong consideration and at the time Ford's crew cab was considerably larger than the others.  In another couple years the kids will be grown and out of the house and it won't be a factor for me anymore.

You'll have your own main criteria and until you're in a vehicle that doesn't measure up, you might not even realize it.  Checking them out in person is the only way to figure out some of that stuff.

Have fun!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I was exact opposite. Ford seats feel like airline seats to me.  @Spur08 drive them all. No one makes a “bad” truck anymore.  

I guess it depends on the trim. But the seats in my 2022 are very comfortable. I run a construction company and some times I will drive 2-4 hours in a day to go to job sites. It’s the most comfortable highway driving experience I’ve had on a modern truck. We have a ton of 2018 XLTs with cloth at the company and I hate driving them.  I had a 2019 Tundra Platinum and although the seats were ok I hated the drive on long distance trips.

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

I guess it depends on the trim. But the seats in my 2022 are very comfortable. I run a construction company and some times I will drive 2-4 hours in a day to go to job sites. It’s the most comfortable highway driving experience I’ve had on a modern truck. We have a ton of 2018 XLTs with cloth at the company and I hate driving them.  I had a 2019 Tundra Platinum and although the seats were ok I hated the drive on long distance trips.

‘21 KR 250.   Just too thin on bottom for me.  Probably will still make the move to one on next truck, just something I was surprised by when I got some real seat time.  Both Ford and GM have gone to thinner seats. My wife’s Denali has thinner seats than the previous one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I guess it's a new thing.  My 2015 F150 Platinum has the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle.  The Tahoe I had previously was okay but the F150 is better.  Plus it has the seat-heater and massager built in.  It's like taking a spa day whilst driving my truck. :)

44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I guess it's a new thing.  My 2015 F150 Platinum has the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle.  The Tahoe I had previously was okay but the F150 is better.  Plus it has the seat-heater and massager built in.  It's like taking a spa day whilst driving my truck. :)

Haven't tried one with the message function yet. But my 16 with cooled seats was an eye opener. I'm not sure I can ever go back to not having that as long as I live in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1