DeShon Elliott has a message for Tom Herman

Bruh Man

1 minute ago, dad said:

Exactly. Take off your burnt orange shades and use some fucking context clues. Hell even Malik tweeted something back to Deshon that wasn't exactly a refutement.

The problem is airing dirty laundry publically, which harms the program and your old teammates. Also using the Foremans as an example is just silly, D'Onta is the dude, but his dad and brother are boneheads.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The problem is airing dirty laundry publically, which harms the program and your old teammates. Also using the Foremans as an example is just silly, D'Onta is the dude, but his dad and brother are boneheads.

Yeah, but take a look at OP's username...

Can I maybe see what Herman actually said before we agree with two football players? 

I’m still confused how talking behind closed doors about someone is wrong but deshon calling out his ex head coach on social media over multiple posts is ok? 

I would have no problem with the social media explosion had Herman tweeted something about deshon leaving early. It’s almost like no one can have a differing opinion like “deshon shouldn’t have left early” because the typical response is “doubters always tryna keep me held back by telling me I’m not good enough”. Then gets drafted in the 6th round. Maybe Herman was right so quit being a pussy. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dad said:

Exactly. Take off your burnt orange shades and use some fucking context clues. Hell even Malik tweeted something back to Deshon that wasn't exactly a refutement.

Screw that, that's exactly the lenses I'm looking through.  This makes our program look bad and it could have been handled like adults, instead the kid blasts our current coaching staff on social media.  He can fuck right off for all I care.  Good day sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Agreed on all counts in your statement. But a lot of people here are acting like it's out of the realm of possibilities that Herman would ever have done such a thing. Put yourself in his shoes though. The guy who was supposed to have your back attempted to backstab you and might have cost you some money on something you've worked for your whole life. Then you have to sit there and watch the whole world treat him like a god that can do no wrong when you know that he's really a selfish bastard who would go so far as to try to sabatoge you to scouts just because he felt slighted by you leaving early. He wants the whole world to know who Tom really is. Calling Tom and just talking it out with him won't reveal that to the whole world. I'm not saying he was right in what he did I'm just trying to explain his possible thought process. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Can I maybe see what Herman actually said before we agree with two football players? 

I’m still confused how talking behind closed doors about someone is wrong but deshon calling out his ex head coach on social media over multiple posts is ok? 

I would have no problem with the social media explosion had Herman tweeted something about deshon leaving early. It’s almost like no one can have a differing opinion like “deshon shouldn’t have left early” because the typical response is “doubters always tryna keep me held back by telling me I’m not good enough”. Then gets drafted in the 6th round. Maybe Herman was right so quit being a pussy. 

head coaches making $5 million per year are suppose to be adults (not saying Tom is or is not just stating the perception) while 20+ year old full grown adults that have a degree or a lot of college classes under their belt and especially ones that play pro sports also making a lot of money are allowed (and in fact expected) to act retarded on social media and their retardedness is to be looked at as fact and as something profound and worthy of through investigation and reflection and requiring some type of action for "better"

1 minute ago, dad said:

Agreed on all counts in your statement. But a lot of people here are acting like it's out of the realm of possibilities that Herman would ever have done such a thing. Put yourself in his shoes though. The guy who was supposed to have your back attempted to backstab you and might have cost you some money on something you've worked for your whole life. Then you have to sit there and watch the whole world treat him like a god that can do no wrong when you know that he's really a selfish bastard who would go so far as to try to sabatoge you to scouts just because he felt slighted by you leaving early. He wants the whole world to know who Tom really is. Calling Tom and just talking it out with him won't reveal that to the whole world. I'm not saying he was right in what he did I'm just trying to explain his possible thought process. 

Thanks for the update Mr.Elliot....your son is acting like a complete child.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Screw that, that's exactly the lenses I'm looking through.  This makes our program look bad and it could have been handled like adults, instead the kid blasts our current coaching staff on social media.  He can fuck right off for all I care.  Good day sir.

Yup.

The idea he "cares" about Texas players while taking actions that directly hurt those players is dumb. If he cared about those players he would have handled this in private.  

1 minute ago, dad said:

Like what, exactly? I find it quite hard to believe that Herman is just going around talking shit about players constantly. That's fucking retarded. This is a bunch of butt hurt Charlie Strong players that can see that now that Herman has taken over, Texas is on an upward trajectory the likes of which Strong couldn't sniff. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GotThatFire said:

Like what, exactly? I find it quite hard to believe that Herman is just going around talking shit about players constantly. That's fucking retarded. This is a bunch of butt hurt Charlie Strong players that can see that now that Herman has taken over, Texas is on an upward trajectory the likes of which Strong couldn't sniff. 

My assumption is that he bad mouthed the players to scouts given Slater's comment. Key word = assumption which is what we're all doing here.

Edited by dad

5 minutes ago, dad said:

Were the criticisms fair? What did he say? The devil is in the details.

All our guys slid based on their expectations. Are they looking for answers that don't include "the tape" or "testing numbers and measurements?"

4 minutes ago, dad said:

Trying to be fair here- if what Herman told the NFL scouts was true, would it still be attempted backstabbing and him being a selfish bastard trying to sabatoge (sic) him?

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

Were the criticisms fair? What did he say? The devil is in the details.

All our guys slid based on their expectations. Are they looking for answers that don't include "the tape" or "testing numbers and measurements?"

No one will ever know if they were fair or not unless a scout themselves reveals that information. We're all going to assume what we wish to be true. 

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

He's pissed that Herman motivated the team before the Missouri bowl game by bringing up the fact that they would be without the team's two leading tacklers because DeShon and Malik skipped the bowl game to keep from getting injured and having the injury affect their draft status. Herman said something to the effect of "If they don't want to be here, then to hell with them." DeShon is taking offense to Herman saying the team didn't need them. Which the team didn't.

they learned they’d be without their two leading tacklers against Missouri in their bowl game. The staff’s message: You don’t need those guys. If they don’t want to play with you, forget ‘em. Though an F word other than forget was probably used. Consider the real pressure that the staff is under at this juncture; a winning season and staff credibility on the line; only to have a player that you featured in your system, that you’ve advised not to go pro for sounds reasons, inform you he’s sitting out with two other teammates to preserve NFL draft status. The coaches have one job to do and that’s the psychological preparation of the team that’s going to play, not dancing around the feelings of those that are on the sideline. Which means rallying around the willing and conveying a message of solidarity and defiance within a depleted team. The result was a spirited bowl win led by the defense.

Deshon, you made your business decision: to preserve your health, and use twelve games of film for a draft status you thought you had secured.

The Texas coaches made their business decision: to motivate a football team that lacked self-belief being told they’d be blown out without their stars.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/7/18/17586934/longhorn-safety-deshon-elliott-frustrated-with-texas-staff-but-going-pro-means-thinking-like-one

• Like 4

There's a whole lot of assuming going on in here.

What is the benefit of him "bad mouthing"players to scouts?  Why on earth would a head coach do that? 

Is giving his honest opinion about their work ethic and skill level, bad mouthing?

Telling his team, that is suiting up for their bowl game, to "F those quitters" in an effort to motivate his team "bad mouthing"?

Just now, KYHorn said:

Trying to be fair here- if what Herman told the NFL scouts was true, would it still be attempted backstabbing and him being a selfish bastard trying to sabatoge (sic) him?

No if it's all true then it's fair. Some would say that a coach should always only reveal the positives of a player to get their guys to go as high as they can but then they risk losing the respect of scouts for future picks and others would say that the coach should tell the god honest truth and that would only help get scout's respect so that in the future scouts would trust his evaluations even more so. I'm assuming that because multiple players have seemingly reached out in support of Kraken that they all feel like this might have happened to them for leaving early which is a big coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

In general, I think the effect of playing in bowls on a player's draft stock is overstated.

Sometimes attempting to be Mr. Rational just makes you look lost. The list of players who have improved their stock through bowls and after-bowl bowls is long. If the fucking combine can launch someone out of the ether, the premise that a player can rise or fall due to bowl prep and performance should be a given too. Come on. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sometimes attempting to be Mr. Rational just makes you look lost. The list of players who have improved their stock through bowls and after-bowl bowls is long. If the fucking combine can launch someone out of the ether, the premise that a player can rise or fall due to bowl prep and performance should be a given too. Come on. 

Elliott was certainly getting bad advice from somebody. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Most people are selfish. They don't give a shit about their teammates or the program. He's off to the NFL to make money. Didn't seem like he looked favorably on the program in his last years so he doesn't give a damn about the perception now on UT and Herman. 

People love to air their business on social media these days. They love the attention. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are you typing from the steps of a Roman fountain surrounded by pigeons?

If a pimp is looking to draft South Austin's mom, and asks me about her, I'm gonna tell him what I know. She swallows babies with a smile and she lacks a gag reflex. But she rests on those qualities and her work ethic leaves a bit to be desired. And her teeth scrape sometimes.

Is that "badmouthing"? Is that "talking shit"? Nah, it's "true". 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Honestly man, take your Chuckles Strong equivocating bullshit and the group of pussies whining about not being able to play for him versus Herman, and the whole of you can go get fucked. I’m so sick of reading this kind of Strong apologist bullshit. 

Charlie Strong fucking sucked at Texas. He made $25million doing it and the program was worse when he left than when he found it. Fuck him, you, and anyone else still rubbing their pussy in angst for him. 

You’ve been an equivocating bitch this whole thread. Deshon Elliott is a whiny, entitled sack of shit and he can fuck off associating to Texas in the future. 

Fuck yeah.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Are you typing from the steps of a Roman fountain surrounded by pigeons?

From the top of a hill at an estate in western Ireland, sir. 

If I knew how to post an image from a phone, I would. 

My half-Irish wife is getting snockered with her Irish relatives and I’m on the porch taking a break. So I click over to Surly and wind up reading this calamity. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Honestly man, take your Chuckles Strong equivocating bullshit and the group of pussies whining about not being able to play for him versus Herman, and the whole of you can go get fucked. I’m so sick of reading this kind of Strong apologist bullshit. 

Charlie Strong fucking sucked at Texas. He made $25million doing it and the program was worse when he left than when he found it. Fuck him, you, and anyone else still rubbing their pussy in angst for him. 

You’ve been an equivocating bitch this whole thread. Deshon Elliott is a whiny, entitled sack of shit and he can fuck off associating to Texas in the future. 

Wrong. 

50f8848a74aefe8d7dbbc43d042e5836f7baada0

Herman has some petty, narcissistic traits. He's going to make some enemies (see Urban Meyer) and probably deserves some blame on this.  There's just a little too much smoke for me to think otherwise. However, I don't like how Elliot handled the situation, putting coaches and a program on blast with tons of room for speculation.   But none of this type stuff will matter if Herman gets things turned around. Although, there is a line that can be crossed (see Art Briles) which I don't think will happen with Herman.

It's been said before, Saban and Meyer arguably the two most successful active college football coaches, can be or are complete assholes. They live in the grey area.  Yet no one cares, because they win.

I doubt this is the last time something like this happens involving Tom.  I don't give a shit, if he wins and keeps the UT name and program in good standing.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Who knows what it is, but i cant imagine a former player being upset that his alma mater is good.   I can imagine if my former coach was talking shit on me behind my back I wouldnt like it and maybe they think airing these grievances publicly was getting more traction than privately. who knows! But  this certainly isnt isolated to a single player.  It's interesting for sure.  Herman can come off a bit brash.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't dispute that. The Punter is pretty clear evidence.

What I'm saying is that I don't think scouts dock players for not participating in bowls due to not being a "team player" or whatever.

Maybe I'm wrong. You probably have more insight into this than I do.

If the statement in the BC article is what caused the DeShon tweet, then DeShon needs to go get his pacifier out of the diaper bag.  I think that was perfectly appropriate to help motivate a team that was probably a little pissed or concerned that two more senior Defensive players were sitting out the game.  And it would not have been public knowledge had he not made it public.  I'm surprised that he waited until now to say something given how much time has passed.

If Herman made an effort to actively sandbag DeShon and the other players that left early with the NFL scouts, then that's pretty low and petty.  I don't think Herman is that big of a dick.  But maybe he is.    

• Like 1