DeShon Elliott has a message for Tom Herman

Bruh Man

2 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Not even close. Deshon has a contract. We have unsigned players reading all this bullshit thinking there's problems within the program rather than Deshon's own hubris and lack of nutsack to call up the offending coach and discuss it like a fucking man.

All Herman has to do is show recruits the players he's recruited. FYI not a single player he's recruited has transferred yet. It's obviously still early but it's not shocking that there's more buy in and less conflict with players Herman actually recruited. 

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It hurts himself professionally more that it hurts Herman and the school.  

Not really. Harbaugh and whoever succeeds Ozzie Newsome mostly care about Elliott's ability to play football. The NFL has no issue with malcontents if they are good at the sport.

Meanwhile, Texas is now on it's third consecutive coaching regime having to deal with accusations of "culture problems" while struggling to put together a season with more than 7 wins.

Obviously if Elliott is a bust then it's an issue, but then he was probably facing an uphill battle either way, even if he kept his mouth shut.

Edited by Machinator

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

DeShon played and contributed to 2 of the worst years in the history of the program and had basically no NFL future until Herman and Orlando arrived. He should be a little more thankful

he should thank all the QBs that threw the ball to him like he was their receiver.

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Again, what's your point? Players from previous staffs often have issues with new coaches. This isn't rocket science. 

Deshon Elliott is dating Strong's daughter. The dude skipped the bowl game to go hang out with Strong and his daughter. This isn't even a criticism of Elliott. Elliott loved Strong and if you don't think there was likely "buy-in" problems from the get go I don't know what to tell you. 

When you change coaches there are always going to be issues with some players that were recruited by another staff. It's just how this goes. Funniest thing is I had this exact same discussion about Strong in reference to the players we are discussing. 

I get all that but if Herman is petulantly blasting players he inherited from Strong who leave early, well....that's not a good look. Especially when he tries to tell scouts that the guys he recruited are so much more awesomer than Charlie's guys. 

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

He's not wrong, millennials have a microphone to the world in their pocket at all times. They tend to make stupid announcements like this one that they will regret later.

Have you seen the shit your people type on Facebook?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Oh fuck that. My son is in the army. He is a millennial. So are almost all the others in the army today. And the Marines, the Navy, the Air Force, the Coast Guard, etc. The kids are alright. 

Also I don't think Deshon is considered  a millenial. "Durn millenials" will have to become "durn whateverthefuckcomesnext"

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

All Herman has to do is show recruits the players he's recruited. FYI not a single player he's recruited has transferred yet. It's obviously still early but it's not shocking that there's more buy in and less conflict with players Herman actually recruited. 

????

He has two recruiting classes under his belt. One season with his own recruits. The transfers will be coming, I assure you. And that's not his fault, but it's a bizarre statement to make on your part, that people his recruits have not already started to bail. 

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Unfortunately, guys sitting out bowl games is only going to get more prevalent. Scouts know that. They can see that and I'm pretty sure they probably don't ding guys for taking that approach. Let me put it this way -- sitting out for the Mizzou bowl game isn't what dropped Elliott to the 6th round.

Sitting out bowl games is about the only thing that will ruin college football for me.  Can you imagine making it to the playoff and three or four of your best guys sit out? I like Scipio's take.  Act like a professional (especially if you're able to make the 53).

• Like 1

Didn't have a problem with Elliott leaving early. The likelihood he ever cracked the Top 2 rounds was minimal at best. That chart earlier shows there ultimately isn't a huge difference between 3rd and 6th round money. Also don't care about the bowl game either. If you have the chance of making even a few dollars playing pro, I don't think you should feel obligated to risk your health for an exhibition, especially after a 7-5 season.

Now airing bullshit publicly about something said behind closed doors, that's bush league. Guy needs to grow up in a hurry. Hopefully he makes amends. If Herman turns things around and is 'King' in this state, I wouldn't want to come crawling back to Texas looking for work after a brief, failed stint in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

Sitting out bowl games is about the only thing that will ruin college football for me.  Can you imagine making it to the playoff and three or four of your best guys sit out? I like Scipio's take.  Act like a professional (especially if you're able to make the 53).

Well, we have yet to see anybody who is healthy sit out any of the CFP games, right? I think *that* would be a huge red flag about a player's selfishness when it comes to NFL teams deciding who to draft and when.

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

What's your point? They had issues with Strong because he wasn't Mack Brown and had strict rules/was a hard ass. 

Funny how narratives change. Strong was praised for being a hard ass and enforcing his "vision" and getting "rid of the bad apples". 

Now you have a player who obviously has a connection to the old staff and you're surprised that he might not have bought into what Herman was selling. What an absolute shocker. 

Strong inherited a roster that was absolute ass, and what few parts of that weren't got injured. Can you imagine that things might have worked out differently for him if he could have had rolled out David Ash as QB for his first two years instead of Swoopes / Heard? 

And also not had to have kicked off about 15 dudes who apparently couldn't pass multiple chances at redemption via drug tests? Yeah, I know, pot should be legal and shit, but these guys all failed more than once. And very few of them distinguished themselves anywhere else. 

He inherited some good players on D all of whom left after his first season, and then the next two seasons were pretty fucking predictable in retrospect. Freshmen and sophomores competing against juniors and seniors. No depth at all. 

When he lost to Kansas change was inevitable, but not even 1970 Tom Landry could have reversed the rot Lazy Mack infected the program with post-2009. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

????

He has two recruiting classes under his belt. One season with his own recruits. The transfers will be coming, I assure you. And that's not his fault, but it's a bizarre statement to make on your part, that people his recruits have not already started to bail. 

oh there will no doubt be transfers but the fact there hasn't been a single transfer yet is a decent sign that there's buy-in from his recruits. 

You can say "it's early" but I know we haven't been Cecil Cherry'ed yet. 

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Why? Because we might have won nine or ten games? Why would that be worse than the same under Mack?

Because Strong would not have maximized at Texas, and we would have been stuck in coach purgatory for much longer than it actually took to get rid of him.

• Like 1

Why? Because we might have won nine or ten games? Why would that be worse than the same under Mack?

I don't think Strong's ceiling was anything but that. Basically we would be waiting for VY 2.0 to have a shot at winning anything, while OU adds another dozen conference titles.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

oh there will no doubt be transfers but the fact there hasn't been a single transfer yet is a decent sign that there's buy-in from his recruits. 

And Cecil Cherry has turned out to be such a stud. Bad offer by Charlie, but it worked out in the end. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

That says more about Strong's poor mental evals than Herman's ability to get buy-in so far (though, the fact that our large 2018 class made it in without issue is a credit to the staff).

Just now, rickyspub said:

I don't think Strong's ceiling was anything but that. Basically we would be waiting for VY 2.0 to have a shot at winning anything, while OU adds another dozen conference titles.

And that was different from Mack how? Mack and GDGD almost squandered VY until VY made it galactically obvious that they needed to build their offense around him instead of their own dumb ideas. 

And that was different from Mack how? Mack and GDGD almost squandered VY until VY made it galactically obvious that they needed to build their offense around him instead of their own dumb ideas. 

It seems like you're arguing Strong vs. Mack, whereas the rest of us are arguing Strong vs. Not-Strong-or-Mack

recruits matter, but coaching matters too

Texas has had a shit ton of top recruiting classes under the last 3 coaches and places like Michigan, aggy, UCLA and others have had plenty of top recruiting classes and recruits and have not come close to meeting what those classes should have done on paper so coaching matters too and on the field results matter for coaching

so far unfortunately Tom and especially the offense have not done shit, so this year matters and it matters more than a tweet from a guy that left to get drafted in the late rounds

if Texas can get 9 or more wins this year then I am perfectly comfortable and in fact would prefer that any recruits swayed by this bullshit tweet stay the fuck away from Texas and go elsewhere to under perform

if Texas does not win 9 or more games this year then Tom is probably going to need to fix some shit fast and no tweeting bullshit will help or hurt that either

my only concern is that Tom will make a giant ass out of himself like he did with the shittiest "sports" radio chodes on the airwaves in Houston (home of the shittiest sports radio there is)

Tom either needs to do nothing at all or he needs to say that he understands that coaching changes are hard, sometimes in transition things do not get communicated effectively and that he appreciates all former Texas players and that he is open to and looking forward to talking with any of them in the future to address any issues they might have, but he will not do that on twitter

and for the love of God Tom lock your fucking wife off of the computer and her phone

unfortunately I do not have the full faith in Tom that he will either not respond or that he will respond appropriately......and if he does make an ass out of himself (or if his wife does the #Mensa bullshit) then this shit might get out of hand and become an actual issue

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Because Strong would not have maximized at Texas, and we would have been stuck in coach purgatory for much longer than it actually took to get rid of him.

We gave Mack a seven years to not maximize, despite the fact that he walked into a roster that was absolutely fucking loaded compared to what he left Charlie. 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Should have added the tagline: MackBrownTexasFootball...You can't hope for better.

Exactly. It's to the point whoever says "they heard this or that" and says their version of the story then that is the truth to twitter land. If you come out to defend yourself they will call you a liar.

Pretty soon we are just going to let twitter decide our world.

Pretty soon?

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That says more about Strong's poor mental evals than Herman's ability to get buy-in so far (though, the fact that our large 2018 class made it in without issue is a credit to the staff).

Thing is I think the majority of attrition under Strong came from the transition class in '14 (recruited mostly by Mack) and players recruited mostly by Mack in earlier classes. 

Even under Strong I'm not sure we had unhealthy attrition in his recruiting classes. Our attrition is mostly rooted in the fact we keep losing players recruited by other coaching staffs. 

Somebody should figure out how many Mack players transferred under Strong and how many of Strong's players actually transferred. I bet it's a much higher rate for the Mack players that transferred. 

I bet the same is true with Herman. I bet we don't have an attrition problem at all with Herman  as long as we get over this initial hurdle of players transferring from Strong's recruiting classes. This is how these things go unfortunately. Recruits are often committing to coaches and whatever vision they are selling. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

good lord some of you are only capable of viewing this situation through your own selfish recruiting prism. deshon was just in town buying dinner for the dbs. he still cares about UT. maybe just maybe herman is in the wrong here. i know that's difficult to swallow for us fans but let's step back and look at him getting a cosign from conner, the foreman's, jane slater, herman's history with player relationships. 

I would accuse you of being DeShon, but your decent grammar (lack of capitalization notwithstanding), spelling and command of the English language make that unlikely.

42 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Not even close. Deshon has a contract. We have unsigned players reading all this bullshit thinking there's problems within the program rather than Deshon's own hubris and lack of nutsack to call up the offending coach and discuss it like a fucking man.

DeShon has an NFL contract as a 6th round draft pick. He is one or two bad preseason games away from being out of the league. He fell in the draft partly because of his matrutiy issues. This does not help him at all. 

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Thing is I think the majority of attrition under Strong came from the transition class in '14 (recruited mostly by Mack) and players recruited mostly by Mack in earlier classes. 

Even under Strong I'm not sure we had unhealthy attrition in his recruiting classes. Our attrition is mostly rooted in the fact we keep losing players recruited by other coaching staffs. 

Somebody should figure out how many Mack players transferred under Strong and how many of Strong's players actually transferred. I bet it's a much higher rate for the Mack players that transferred. 

I bet the same is true with Herman. I bet we don't have an attrition problem at all with Herman  as long as we get over this initial hurdle of players transferring from Strong's recruiting classes.  

tenor.gif?itemid=3938292

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

good lord some of you are only capable of viewing this situation through your own selfish recruiting prism. deshon was just in town buying dinner for the dbs. he still cares about UT. maybe just maybe herman is in the wrong here. i know that's difficult to swallow for us fans but let's step back and look at him getting a cosign from conner, the foreman's, jane slater, herman's history with player relationships. 

Exactly. Take off your burnt orange shades and use some fucking context clues. Hell even Malik tweeted something back to Deshon that wasn't exactly a refutement.

• Like 1