So, uh, they’re remaking Naked Gun

HiggyBaby

https://screencrush.com/naked-gun-remake/

Please be good. Liam Neeson could actually work in this role.

According to Variety, the new Naked Gun with Neeson will be “directed and executive produced by Akiva Schaffer, who co-wrote the draft script alongside Dan Gregor and Doug Man, reprising their partnership from the Emmy-winning film Chip ‘N Dale: Rescue Rangers.” (If you missed that movie, it was actually about as close to a good modern-day spoof as Hollywood has made in recent years, so that’s a great team to make a new Naked Gun movie.)

As for Neeson, he might seem like an odd choice for a comedy like The Naked Gun but I actually think he could be a perfect fit. Before Airplane!, Leslie Nielsen was not known as a comic actor at all. He was poking fun at his own image as a kinda-stiff guy in mostly middling dramas, and he turned out to be perfect at that. Nielsen has been funny in movies — he was great as a voice in The LEGO Movie — but he has such an intense gruff persona in action movies, he has a lot of material to work with playing a comic version of himself.

The new Naked Gun is scheduled to open in theaters July 18, 2025.

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

yeah, that ricky gervais clip is the perfect resume for something like this.  i've watched it 100 times and die every time

It kills me too. "Riddled with it", the way he delivers that line is all time stuff. He will do great with this.

The original creators of it are, not pleased.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/naked-gun-turns-35-leslie-nielsen-david-zucker-pat-proft-1235766023/

Zucker: Pat, Mike and I wrote a script for Naked Gun 4, and we heard Jon Gonda at Paramount had read the script and laughed all the way through it. But somewhere along the line, they decided not to go with Pat and Mike and me. So that’s when they got Seth MacFarlane, and he has Akiva Schaffer directing Liam Neeson. I was never able to meet with Seth.

Proft: I’m not happy — and there’s a story with it. But I’m not pleased. It may come out and may be great — and good for that — but I sure as fuck should be writing it. I should have done this one.

Zucker: About four years ago, Pat and I had one meeting over at Paramount with the then-head of production there. It was a woman who complained about some joke that Pat and I wrote about a police officer having to adjust her Kevlar vest or have a breast reduction or something. It’s just a stupid, mild joke, but that was too much for them. So I can’t even imagine how they’re limiting whoever does Naked Gun 4, if they’re that frightened. We’re not involved, and we’ve repurposed what was going to be Naked Gun 4 — as we called it, Counterintelijence, spelled with one L and a J — and we’re going to go out with that one.

Proft: We’ve been totally blocked out of it. The unfortunate part of it is that Paramount owns it, so they can do what they fucking want. So that’s it.

• Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

The original creators of it are, not pleased.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/naked-gun-turns-35-leslie-nielsen-david-zucker-pat-proft-1235766023/

Zucker: Pat, Mike and I wrote a script for Naked Gun 4, and we heard Jon Gonda at Paramount had read the script and laughed all the way through it. But somewhere along the line, they decided not to go with Pat and Mike and me. So that’s when they got Seth MacFarlane, and he has Akiva Schaffer directing Liam Neeson. I was never able to meet with Seth.

Proft: I’m not happy — and there’s a story with it. But I’m not pleased. It may come out and may be great — and good for that — but I sure as fuck should be writing it. I should have done this one.

Zucker: About four years ago, Pat and I had one meeting over at Paramount with the then-head of production there. It was a woman who complained about some joke that Pat and I wrote about a police officer having to adjust her Kevlar vest or have a breast reduction or something. It’s just a stupid, mild joke, but that was too much for them. So I can’t even imagine how they’re limiting whoever does Naked Gun 4, if they’re that frightened. We’re not involved, and we’ve repurposed what was going to be Naked Gun 4 — as we called it, Counterintelijence, spelled with one L and a J — and we’re going to go out with that one.

Proft: We’ve been totally blocked out of it. The unfortunate part of it is that Paramount owns it, so they can do what they fucking want. So that’s it.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

• Hook 'Em 1