Texas vs K State- 6pm on ESPN+

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

don't think this game does much for our tourney resume either way, but i'd really like another shot at iowa state and winning is always more fun that losing so lets go!

Win and we have a chance to move our seeding up off the 8/9 line against ISU tomorrow

Lose and we are stuck on the 8/9 line

So yeah, winning this game does way more for our resume than losing. 

Agree completely. This is probably the most important game of the season to date. Not just because it gets us off the 8/9 game, but it opens up the possibility of significantly improving our seeding.

If we win, that gets us to a 7... but if we keep winning we could move up as high as 5 if we win the whole damn thing.  I see every win as basically moving us up one whole seed.

9 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i disagree that we are currently on the 8/9 line, but who really knows.

We are the 3rd #8 seed according to Bracket Matrix. Mostly 8s, with an occasional 9 or 7 sprinkled in. Like three 6s and even a 5.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We are the 3rd #8 seed according to Bracket Matrix. Mostly 8s, with an occasional 9 or 7 sprinkled in. Like three 6s and even a 5.

We are currently #25 in net and #23 in kenpom - rankings that would correlate with 7 or 6 seeds.  we have 5 quad 1 wins which is very competitive with the teams jockying for 6-7 seeds.  we do have one bad loss but so do many of those same teams we are competing with.

if we lose this game could we be an 8?  i suppose.  but i'm thinking we're currently a 7 that's closer to a 6 than an 8.

Posted (edited)

You would think a team with a top 25 NET and 4 Q1 road wins would be at least a 7-seed win or lose tonight. And as I've pointed out before, our resume is much better than several of the current 7 seeds on bracket matrix. 

You still have clowns like Jerry Palm projecting us as a 9 seed. 

Our 2021-2022 team went 10-9 if you include their loss in the opening round of the Big 12 tournament (20 point blown lead to TCU), was 6-10 in Q1 games, played pretty much an incidental non-con SOS compared to this year's team (205 vs 203) and ended up as a 6 seed. I have a tough time believing the middle of the pack is that much better this year compared to previous years.

Edited by Hookem2147

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You would think a team with a top 25 NET and 4 Q1 road wins would be at least a 7-seed win or lose tonight. And as I've pointed out before, our resume is much better than several of the current 7 seeds on bracket matrix. 

You still have clowns like Jerry Palm projecting us as a 9 seed. 

Our 2021-2022 team went 10-9 if you include their loss in the opening round of the Big 12 tournament (20 point blown lead to TCU), was 6-10 in Q1 games, played pretty much an incidental non-con SOS compared to this year's team (205 vs 203) and ended up as a 6 seed. I have a tough time believing the middle of the pack is that much better this year compared to previous years.

that team was in the 25 for every week except one during that season, which i’m guessing plays a pretty big role here. that team was associated as being a top 25 for the entirety of that season. this year’s team fell out of the polls in early january and hasn’t been back since. as much as the computer rankings should be/are used, a team that’s in the top 25 all year is going to have a better chance to be a 6 seed than one that has spent most of the year/is currently unranked.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that team was in the 25 for every week except one during that season, which i’m guessing plays a pretty big role here. that team was associated as being a top 25 for the entirety of that season. this year’s team fell out of the polls in early january and hasn’t been back since. as much as the computer rankings should be/are used, a team that’s in the top 25 all year is going to have a better chance to be a 6 seed than one that has spent most of the year/is currently unranked.

I would hope in the year of our lord 2024, the committee isn't using things like the AP Poll to influence any ounce of decision-making when it comes to seeding. Also seems like a 7 seed is about right for a team that isn't 100% worthy of being ranked but is pretty close. 

Wasn't the whole point of switching to NET years ago to give a more all-encompassing view of these teams when it comes to SOS, SOR, Quality of wins, etc. so they wouldn't have to rely on other metrics that are skewed by human input. 

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That was Horton. Unless ...

The turnover before that was Hunter. Dribble dribble, lost it right into a KSU’s players hands 

• Hook 'Em 1