Gary Johnson hates QBs and RBs

Machinator

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Pos rep to Machinator for starting this thread. He's been my favorite player on the team since I first watched his hudl. This dude fucking brings it every damn snap. 

Agree, the mentality we need from ALL UT male athletes at Texas. Of late, it seems too few are hungry to be the best around here...

• 3 months later...

He's got my vote in 2018. Goddamn I want a season where more bells are rung than all the fucking cathedrals in Europe. I've miss having players who are about to go and bury the other guy so far in the ground they need shovels to get him out. That is Texas Football.

Ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

I could see this. Dude is a fuckin baller. Although, at 220lbs, I wonder if he's too light.

Meh, lots of smaller LB's have gone on to have success in the NFL, look at Sean Lee ffs. He's put on a few pounds of muscle over the years, but still looks like a slightly heavier white safety out on the field.. 

Great highlights, but is that shaky transition device between plays giving anyone else a headache? Two good editing rules are to let the images tell the story and don't let the technique get in the way of the storytelling. 

Edited by TreatyOak

On 3/26/2018 at 1:34 PM, Jomac0928 said:

I could see this. Dude is a fuckin baller. Although, at 220lbs, I wonder if he's too light.

21 minutes ago, ousux said:

Meh, lots of smaller LB's have gone on to have success in the NFL, look at Sean Lee ffs. He's put on a few pounds of muscle over the years, but still looks like a slightly heavier white safety out on the field.. 

For what it's worth, he's now listed at 230.

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?roster=296&path=football

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Article from Jeff Howe on GJ: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Twitter-moniker-symbolizes-LB-Gary-Johnsons-mentality-on-the-field-121132161/

AUSTIN, Texas — It’s more than just a catchy slogan for his Twitter account — it’s become his way of life on the football field. Gary Johnson hates quarterbacks and running backs, a creed the Texas linebacker lives by so much when he’s in shoulder pads and a helmet that he’s always reminding Longhorn quarterbacks Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele not to worry about feeling the boom when they see him across the line of scrimmage.

“I love Sam and Shane,” Johnson said on Tuesday, four days before the 23rd-ranked Texas opens the season at FedEx Field against Maryland (11 a.m., FS1). “I tell them all the time that I love my quarterbacks.”

If only the quarterbacks will try to move the ball against Johnson during the coming season by avoiding contact with the 6-foot, 230-pound human missile at all costs were that lucky.

Johnson’s disdain for players in the opposing backfield is rooted in a sour experience from his time toting the rock. Johnson was a running back during his junior season at Douglas (Ala.) High School when an injury during a game Johnson felt was done to intentionally inflict pain on him changed his mindset as a player.

Rather than try to avoid being hit, Johnson decided he wanted to be the one dishing out the punishment on the field.

“I was like, ‘somebody tried to hurt me,’” Johnson said of his unsavory high school experience. “Ever since then, I was like, ‘I don’t want to play offense anymore.’ I finished out my senior year playing running back, but after that, I got that mentality that I just want to play linebacker and just smash quarterbacks and running backs.

“I hate them and I’ve stuck with it ever since.”

Johnson, who ran a 10.59 100-meter dash in high school to win the 2015 Alabama Class 5A state championship, might be pound-for-pound the fastest Longhorn Tom Herman has on the 2018 roster. A player who loves to run and hit, the Rover position (weakside linebacker) in Todd Orlando’s defense is perfect for Johnson, who is coming off of a monster debut season on the Forty Acres where record 60 tackles (No. 2 among returning Longhorns), six tackles for loss (No. 3 among returnees), two sacks, four quarterback hurries, a pass breakup and forced fumble.

Johnson did all of his work despite logging only 61 snaps on defense through the first six games of last season, according to data collected by Pro Football Focus. When Orlando started to utilize the Lightning package and have dime personnel on the field, All-American linebacker Malik Jefferson moved over the Mac (middle) linebacker spot in order for Johnson to be on the field at Rover.

Known as the playmaking position in Orlando’s defense, playing the Rover is a spot Johnson said comes with a lot of perks, but it also carries a lot of responsibility.

“It puts you in predicaments where you have to make plays a lot,” Johnson said. “If you don’t you’ll be exposed. That’s pretty much what it is to it.”

Johnson has no issues carrying the expectations of filling one of the critical roles within Orlando’s defense, who recently said his odd-front system runs through the two inside linebacker positions. A player Nick Saban wanted to see playing linebacker on his Alabama defense until the SEC’s junior college transfer rules forced him to look elsewhere, Johnson eventually settled on Texas over a host of other options across the country because of what he could do within Orlando’s scheme.

Orlando’s highly-productive linebackers during his two seasons as Herman’s defensive coordinator at the University of Houston played a large role in Johnson, the nation’s No. 1-ranked junior college linebacker prospect in the 2017 cycle according to the 247Sports Composite rankings, winding up in burnt orange.

“When you watched Houston’s film and what his linebackers were doing in their scheme, it was an eye-opener for me,” Johnson said. “With my speed and ability and to take coaching from him, I could be another elite linebacker.”

It remains to be seen if Johnson will finish his Texas career as an All-American the way Jefferson and Jordan Hicks did before both went on to become third-round NFL draft choices in 2015 and 2018, respectively. With a personal goal of doing whatever it takes to make plays and allow the defense to function at an optimum level, Johnson has a chance to get there if he continues to back up a Twitter proclamation by attempting to destroy the unfortunate soul in the opposing backfield who happens to have the ball in their hands.

“If I was to just have that up there for no reason and I don’t make plays on quarterbacks and running backs, it would be kind of pointless,” Johnson said.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

those weights crack me up because literally every player's weight ends in either 0 or 5... 

Slight derail, but who the hell is Femi Yemi-Esi?  No photo, no position listed, just indicates "freshman".   Also, 5'8" and 160lbs?  Is he the scholarship waterboy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Machinator changed the title to Gary Johnson hates QBs and RBs