Texas Basketball 2024-25

Posted (edited)

Guards: Larry, Pope, Mark, Tre Johnson, Weaver
Forwards: Kent, Codie

Yeah just need that big and there's your solid 9 man rotation with meh minutes from Onyema

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's going to be interesting who starts 1-3. We have 5 legit options. It's a good problem to have though. 

Well I'd think two have to be Larry and Pope. Johnson and Weaver coming off the bench would make the most sense I think, at least if we're talking November.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Well I'd think two have to be Larry and Pope. Johnson and Weaver coming off the bench would make the most sense I think, at least if we're talking November.

Yeah, probably.  Weaver is so much better off the bench as a sparkplug/energy guy and Johnson is going to have to acclimate to college ball.  Maybe by February/March, he's starting

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Look out, boyz! With a roster this loaded, Terry might just hover around the top 25 all season and eke out a tourney win again this year! 

Tyrese Hunter ain't walking through that door.

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Mark is probably the top transfer we've added. 

PG: Larry

SG: Mark

SF: Johnson

That's my guess. Then Weaver and Pope off the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Great pickup. My only wish is that he came from more of a winning culture.  The Indiana State guys won a lot of games. And Tramon Mark won a lot of games at Houston.  Oregon State has been pretty bad for the last two years. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Tyrese Hunter ain't walking through that door.

My original post was mostly a joke. In all seriousness, I am inclined to give Terry a pass for last year if he can put together a cohesive team this year that meets expectations.  Hunter being so terrible at PG and Mitchell being a zero on offense made things extremely difficult, though I do think Terry should’ve recognized those issues last offseason. 

But if we see another team that doesn’t quite fit and can’t put it together, like last year, then Terry needs to go. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My original post was mostly a joke. In all seriousness, I am inclined to give Terry a pass for last year if he can put together a cohesive team this year that meets expectations.  Hunter being so terrible at PG and Mitchell being a zero on offense made things extremely difficult, though I do think Terry should’ve recognized those issues last offseason. 

But if we see another team that doesn’t quite fit and can’t put it together, like last year, then Terry needs to go. 

And that’s totally fair. It does seem like he learned his lesson a bit, grabbing much better PGs than Hunter and Kent and Mark. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mostly agree. Evals in the portal era are hard - every coach hits and misses. What sunk us was, like you said, the guys that were already here not developing enough. Some of that is on RT, some of that is just bad luck. 

I think this season will tell us more about whether he can turn Texas into a solid program again or not. I'm optimistic and there's more things I like about RT than I dislike, but I'm also not under the illusion that he's some sort of basketball savant or roster wizard. 

With the amount of resources at his disposal and the fact that he seems like a good guy and players like him he really just needs to be largely competent at his job to have more success at Texas. He's already done better than Shaka did.

• Hook 'Em 3

Plus the SEC is not as good as the Big 12. Gonna be really nice not having to play KU, Baylor, ISU, TCU, UH and the jihad level hate that Tech, WV, OKST, KSU have against us.

Of course we have aggy/OU and Tenn, Arky under Cal, Bama, but man does it feel like we go from 8 fucking weeks playing KenPom Top 25 teams headed by Top 10 coaches to maybe getting a break against some lesser teams/shitty coaches 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Plus the SEC is not as good as the Big 12. Gonna be really nice not having to play KU, Baylor, ISU, TCU, UH and the jihad level hate that Tech, WV, OKST, KSU have against us.

Of course we have aggy/OU and Tenn, Arky under Cal, Bama, but man does it feel like we go from 8 fucking weeks playing KenPom Top 25 teams headed by Top 10 coaches to maybe getting a break against some lesser teams/shitty coaches 

Sure but that cuts both ways in CBB. Playing in the B12 keeps your metrics respectable as long as you're. 500ish in conference.

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2024 at 5:02 PM, Pancho said:

Tyrese headed to Memphis 

Best of luck to him 🤘🏾

Hunter keeps lucking into some incredible situations. 

He's once again going to be surrounded by two very good college guards in Haggerty and Rogers. I'm not even sure Hunter will start. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

My preference for how the 1-3 shakes out:

Starters

• PG - Julian Larry - 6'3 185, 10.6 PTS, 4.9 AST, 3.0 TRB, 1.9 TO, 1.6 STL, 51.1 FG%, 42.9 3P%, 79.7 FT%

• 1 yr left (5th year), 2x All MVC Defense, 3rd Team All MVC, #1 MVC steals, #2 MVC assist

• SG/SF - Tramon Mark - 6'5 180, 16.4 PTS, 2.0 AST, 5.0 TRB, 2.1 TO, 1.5 STL, 43.6 FG%, 32.7 3T%, 82.2 FT%

• 2 years left (5th yr, RS). Gets buckets and is also a very solid defender.

• SG/SF - Tre Johnson - 6'6, 190, 11.1 PTS, 2.6 AST, 2.9 TRB, 0.9 TO, 0.9 STL, 43.3 FG%, 35.7 3P%, 94.1 FT% (U19 WC)

• Top 5 national recruit. Very skilled scorer and able defender. Not a raw athlete like our previous high recruits. Dude is very skilled and lit up the McDonalds AA game with 5 3s.

Bench (conference stats)

• PG/SG – Jordan Pope – 6’2, 165, 18.0 pts, 3.5 AST, 2.5 TRB, 2.5 TO, 0.7 STL, 46.0 FG%, 35.8 3P%, 85.7 FT%

• 2 years left. Has improved every year. Will likely be our starting PG the year after next.  I would start Tre Johnson, but I would close with Pope similar to how we used Rice last year.

• SG/SF - Chendall Weaver - 6'3, 165, 7.4 PTS, 0.8 AST, 3.5 TRB, 0.4 TO, 0.6 STL, 51.7 FG%, 17.6 3P%, 70.7 FT%

•  

Dude has the potential to be so much better than his numbers. He is a game changer off the bench. If his efficiency improves in the offseason, he will get more minutes. But right now, I think he is clearly the 5th best of the bunch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We are all guessing here but I don't agree with this starting backcourt. Larry is the best perimeter defender and playmaker/creator on the team. I think he's definitely going to start at PG. 

This is 10000% of what sticks out about Mark's tape I just watched.  

Let's hope the youngin Johnson has that Carr/JCovan style no fucks given I'll hit this shot in your face habit and we are set. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:13 AM, VinyVango said:

next year versus UCONN in Austin should provide a good coaching barometer/comparison since both Hurley and Terry will be retooling most of their rosters. 

Is there a universe where anybody needs an early season OOC matchup between Uconn and Texas before they can formulate an opinion on whether or not Hurley is a far, far better coach than Terry? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You can wish-cast all you want but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the 2 guys averaging 18ppg in power conferences and the top 5 recruit aren't going to start. Doesn't matter if it's not the most balanced lineup if we think we can just run teams off the court.

Is there a universe where anybody needs an early season OOC matchup between Uconn and Texas before they can formulate an opinion on whether or not Hurley is a far, far better coach than Terry? 

Hurley is a better coach and UConn is a better program, but last year in a virtual home game they were only up by four with five minutes to play… and we were playing without our two starting bigs, one of them a 1st team All Big 12 player in Disu.

I am also convinced we would have beaten them in Houston if we had made the Final Four.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

Hurley is a better coach and UConn is a better program, but last year in a virtual home game they were only up by four with five minutes to play… and we were playing without our two starting bigs, one of them a 1st team All Big 12 player in Disu.

I am also convinced we would have beaten them in Houston if we had made the Final Four.

Just keep that kind of stupid shit to yourself, please. That is embarrassing, idiotic, pollyanna sunshine-pumping that makes the whole board look like idiots in having it in our presence. UConn has won by double digits in every match-up they've played in the NCAA over the past two seasons. 12-0, all double digit wins, and they beat Miami by 13 fucking points in the game you're implying. It is aggie shit to claim to win games that Texas never played, especially against superior opponents. Christ.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Just keep that kind of stupid shit to yourself, please. That is embarrassing, idiotic, pollyanna sunshine-pumping that makes the whole board look like idiots in having it in our presence.

In a neutral site game, yes they probably would have beaten us by double digits too.  But if Texas was playing in Houston, the atmosphere would have been wild. We would have packed 50K+ fans into NRG for that game. 

Plus, it isn't like they were 1990 UNLV. They were seeded worse than us. They lost 8 games, including two losses to Xavier (who we beat by 12), and also lost to Creighton, who we beat by 5. 

FWIW, I also think we would have beaten Michigan if we had made it to Houston in football.  Flame away.

41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In a neutral site game, yes they probably would have beaten us by double digits too.  But if Texas was playing in Houston, the atmosphere would have been wild. We would have packed 50K+ fans into NRG for that game. 

Plus, it isn't like they were 1990 UNLV. They were seeded worse than us. They lost 8 games, including two losses to Xavier (who we beat by 12), and also lost to Creighton, who we beat by 5. 

FWIW, I also think we would have beaten Michigan if we had made it to Houston in football.  Flame away.

Blah blah aggie this aggie that we would have won if this and that. There's no joy in flaming a sunshine-pumping dipshit. I didn't say it was wrong to have your fantasies. You just don't need to subject the rest of us to them. It's pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, HookEm said:

image.png.69ac4fad57b4162b5f67b39b0fac2cce.png

I have no affinity for UConn.

Any objective observer looks at CBB right now and thinks, "man, Hurley and UConn look like they're building a dynasty."

HookEm on Surly looks at CBB right now and openly states, "Texas would have beaten UConn in the Final Four last year. Rodney Terry has Texas on the brink of greatness."

• Hook 'Em 2

Never said RT has us on the brink of greatness. Had he won last year Beard would have gotten a huge amount of the credit. I prefaced all this by saying that Hurley is clearly the better coach.

Maybe we would have won, maybe we wouldn’t have. We will obviously never know. And I’ll admit that saying we WOULD have won came across as more absolute than I intended. That said, had we beaten Miami, I do think Vegas would have had us favored in the game.

image.thumb.png.77397881328a50ef093ec591bb899c12.png

image.thumb.png.e4d8f77c18b732697909092598d863ca.png

This dude should be our #1 target right now. He would immediately change the potential of the team. He is one of the top rebounders in the country, particularly on the offensive glass.  Was also the Sun Belt defensive player of the year before going to Miami. And he can score inside and outside the paint.  

Break the bank and do what is needed with NIL to go get him.

17 minutes ago, HookEm said:

This dude should be our #1 target right now. He would immediately change the potential of the team. He is one of the top rebounders in the country, particularly on the offensive glass.  Was also the Sun Belt defensive player of the year before going to Miami. And he can score inside and outside the paint.  

Going off pure memory here, but he kicked our butts in the EE game but then got overwhelmed by UCONN's size in the FF.  Definitely a good player and would upgrade our roster.  But not sure he's transformational like a truly elite rim protector would be.  We don't have one of those and he's not one himself.

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

Jeez you're a beating. Ya no shit it'd be great to get one of the best bigs in the portal. There's literally no point in discussing it until we see that there's been contact or a visit being planned. You know who also wants one of the best players available? About 300 other teams. He also has a DNC and the rumor is that Pitino got him in the portal.

15 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Jeez you're a beating. Ya no shit it'd be great to get one of the best bigs in the portal. There's literally no point in discussing it until we see that there's been contact or a visit being planned. You know who also wants one of the best players available? About 300 other teams. He also has a DNC and the rumor is that Pitino got him in the portal.

Nothing you said is wrong but I don't take these "do no contact" listings seriously. 

The women's team just landed a big transfer (Phelia) who was listed as "DNC" until Texas convinced her to visit. Teams are definitely reaching out to transfers via 3rd parties even under "DNC." 

3 hours ago, Teryor said:

You know who also wants one of the best players available? About 300 other teams.

I swear, the thread police are out in full force.  News flash:  We aren't like the 300 other teams.  There are no more than 10-15 other teams with our NIL bankroll, facilities, and clear need at his position.  If we aren't working back channels to express our interest and resources, then we are dropping the ball.

45 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I swear, the thread police are out in full force.  News flash:  We aren't like the 300 other teams.  There are no more than 10-15 other teams with our NIL bankroll, facilities, and clear need at his position.  If we aren't working back channels to express our interest and resources, then we are dropping the ball.

Yes because you're saying dumb shit consistently. Yes, Norchad Omier is very good and we'd like to have him on our team. But we've already discussed him going into the portal when he did. Then you come bounding into this thread like it's a fucking novel idea. You know who else is in the portal? A million good players. But you don't see us discussing all of them because we're not fucking connected to them and it's pointless until there's an actual reason to talk about them. 

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Could see:

Horns: aggy/Ark

Ark: Horns/Mizzou

Mizzou: Ark/OU

OU: Mizzou/aggy

aggy: Horns/OU

No way we don’t get OU. Our rotating one will probably be Arky/LSU/somebody 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Petraitis got a prediction to Cal from an On3 national guy. 

Seems like the search may continue for a 4 and 5 to complete the roster with Garrison visiting Arkansas this weekend.

Aidoo is also at Arky this weekend so may need to hope he commits 1st

Nice thing about yttv is that there is no limit on recording.  So the nit final was available between seton hall and isu.  Seton hall had the two best players in Richmond and Davis  the other seton hall player Daws was the high scorer but didn’t stand out like these two  Davis is going to play for miss and Richmond is now ranked first in the portal.

Of the two guys who transferred to Texas, Larry was the more influential player.  He hit several threes and had a couple of drives but wasn’t a ball dominant guard as the pg. he’s a little loose with his dribble. His defense was pretty good against Richmond but he’s no shut down defender. Kent was referred to as the best cutter in college basketball and he did that a few times but looked to be strictly a complementary player.  

ISU played thru Avila as well as swope, conwell and Larry. 

Texas has a chance to do the same with Pope, Mark, Johnson, Weaver and Larry.  As everyone knows a front line of Kent and Shedrick will need help.  Can Onyema improve over the summer? Who else will they get? And then can the coaching staff get all the pieces to matter?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Is Kent more of a small forward or power forward?  Any historical Texas comps?

He's ~6'7" 200 but he boarded well last season. Looks like he took a big jump from his 3rd to 4th season. He should be a stretch 4 for Texas.

Stats-wise he's kind of like if Damion James was a better shooter but a little skinnier and not as good of an all-around player. 

I think a poor-man's Keegan Murray would be a good comp.

Has some wiry strength and is crafty around the basket on both ends. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1