Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Still not worried. But Hader man, he should get it together. 
We talk pitching, Loperfido and schedule. 

Hader had a bit of an adjustment period when he landed in SD as well.   Not freaking out yet.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Hader had a bit of an adjustment period when he landed in SD as well.   Not freaking out yet.  

His ERA was 6 something going into the game last night... comes out with a 9... Dude has the yips or some shit.

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

We really need framber and verlander back and throwing like #1’s

Clutch hitting will come around 

Hitting isn’t the issue. Were top 3 in all the mlb is team hits. We don’t know how to drive anyone in and score runs. Altuve is batting .403 lol. Crazy how many meaningless hits we get every game.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hitting isn’t the issue. Were top 3 in all the mlb is team hits. We don’t know how to drive anyone in and score runs. Altuve is batting .403 lol. Crazy how many meaningless hits we get every game.

‘Clutch’ 

31 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Seriously how much longer does Abreu get? He's batting in double digits. Its not like we dont have options at 1B.

It's not?  I mean some rando off the street may would be better but I'm not seeing a plethora of good options either.

Edited by WBT

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Playing Dubon there as much as possible is a better option than letting Abreu desperately try to catch up to 90 mph fastballs.

Dubon, Caratini, and Diaz.  and Loperfido has 36 innings at 1B in AAA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Shuffle the lineup. I know the metrics say blah blah, but our line up is not scary after the top three. 

move someone in into the top 4 and let them get better pitches. 

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yes- he’s basically had one bad month (before the Astros) in his entire career and it was that first month in SD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2017: 1st round pick

2018: #1 pitching prospect in baseball

2019: suspended for adderall, hurt shoulder, control regressed

2020: pandemic

2021: TJ surgery 

2022: TJ recovery

2023: lat strain

Hes got the innings of a 21 year old, the maturity of a 14 year old, and the injury history of a 36 year old.  But the velo and pitch mix of an ace.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Bringing up Whitley and his 12.00 ERA is like betting it all on red because it was black the previous 8 turns.

It's like 99.925% to hit red next, obv.  It's science.  Analytics, if you will.  Whitley's due for some shut-down innings, and we wouldn't want to waste them in the Minors, see?

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Bringing up Whitley and his 12.00 ERA is like betting it all on red because it was black the previous 8 turns.

It's like 99.925% to hit red next, obv.  It's science.  Analytics, if you will.  Whitley's due for some shut-down innings, and we wouldn't want to waste them in the Minors, see?

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He hasn't been setting the world on fire in AAA.  I wouldn't get real excited.

He’s only pitched 3 games in AAA so his era is pretty meaningless.  His last game he only threw 13 pitches with a k and a walk.  He got 2 swings and misses and only one pitch was contacted.  It looked like he was nibbling outside the zone but he only threw one really bad pitch.  His pitches had very good movement and his fb was up to 98.  At this point I think he’s probably similar to Dylan Coleman, he has elite stuff but the command varies.  He could come out and walk a bunch of guys and give up a homer or he could look dominant.  Knowing him he will almost surely throw 100 mph, just depends on how it moves and where it’s located.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=752109&player_id=666215#pitch_speed_SINKER

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

He’s only pitched 3 games in AAA so his era is pretty meaningless.

This would be true, if we didn't also have the other previous 7 years of his development from top 5 prospect to minor league JAG.  Hence the joke about expecting him to magically be due, somehow.

Look, I hope he makes me eat my words.  Maybe he's just a very late bloomer.  But there's no way to describe calling this guy up in April as anything other than a flashing red light pointing to how completely fucked this staff is right now.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1