Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

That home stand with Oakland was the same fool's gold that Green's run during the Rockets's last season 10 gamer.

This team is old, unathletic, and broken.

Time to sell of the parts you can, because there is still enough talent to compete next year with the right moves, unforunately, Crane and his merry band of dick suckers are exactly the wrong group to be making those decisions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Pressly blows.

but 5 for 32 with only 3 ABs with RISP (no hits in those 3 chances , of course) and 10Ks and 2 BBs is a putrid offensive display 

plenty of blame to go around 

José Abreu could not field a 95.7 mph ground ball with a .200 xBA, Alex Bregman threw away another hit at 60.6 mph, Yainer Diaz had a costly passed ball 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)

when everyone was praising the Abreu signing, as you should have …. I wanted yuli back. Over the top clubhouse leader and a damn good glove. Imagine having his .240 in the bottom of the line up the past two seasons and his leadership. 

sobs GIF

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

José Abreu's .099 average (7-for-71) ranks 336th out of 338 batters with at least 75 plate appearances this year, ahead of Martín Maldonado (.086) and Parker Meadows (.096).

That was before the (re) call-up.

He’s batting .104, not .099…yet

• Drool 1

This team is so frustrating. I’m tired of seeing the following on a regular basis:

- Jose Abreu not getting in front of and knocking down hard hit grounders to first.

- Ryan Pressly hanging breaking balls in the middle of the plate.

- Alex Bregman hitting 4th or 5th during his normal slow start. If we know he sucks in April and May, let him bat 8th and take some days off.

- All of our decent starters spending time on the DL with McCullers having a permanent spot there.

- Framber shaking off signs and melting down. Did Bagwell tell him to stop going to the shrink?

- Jose Abreu swinging late at another fast ball.

- Knowing that Crane won’t nut up and pay Tucker his money.

- Diaz swinging at every pitch that’s eye level and a foot off the plate. Take your walks and make them pitch to you.

- Joe Espada looking clueless in the dugout. Although he didn’t try and steal an inning with Brown last night, maybe he’s learning after trying and failing about 10 previous times this year.

- Other than the Windmill at 3rd base, I’m convinced that the other assistant coaches are worthless. If a veterans swing is fixable, you would think an actual coach could do that instead of trying to pull the ex-Astro out of the stands.

If they still have a losing record by the end of June, they should trade Bregman and Pressly for some lottery ticket prospects. At this rate, the return will be low but what else can they do. Framber should be on the block as well as they try to rebuild the farm. Would he bring a Bregman replacement?

This team is a beating to watch.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

How was that ball hit right to Abreu's glove called a double last night?  It should have been an error.  Every competent first baseman in the league knocks that ball down at least.  And over half of them make the play outright every time, another quarter most of the time.  

I've been a sunshine pumper and won't stop, because this team gave me everything I ever dreamed of the last 7 years.  And the Abreu signing was a valid one given every bit of data we had at the time.  The third year was just cost of doing business.  But sometimes you have to take your sunk cost and move on.  Playing him in the field is fucking absurd.  He wasn't a good 1B before he got old and slow.  Singleton definitely knocks that ball down.  Yuli even today makes the play and could have ended the inning.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

In two days, Jose Abreu has forced...

Loperfido down, a LH option who was hitting .333 w/ an .817 OPS. 

Chas to the bench, a .770 career OPS guy, who had an .842 OPS last year.

Dubon to the bench, one of the best contact hitters in the game w/ a .319 avg & .779 OPS.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The clock is ticking ….

The clock is also ticking on the Astros being a legitimate playoff team this season, a year where Tucker is having a MVP type season and his 2nd to last year with the Astros.

• Hook 'Em 2

This sounds like Dana’s interviews last year when he would say that Diaz deserved more games behind the plate. I’m getting the impression that he doesn’t really have a say in when to pull the plug on Abreu.

• Rage+1 2

Just now, hornmpa96 said:

This sounds like Dana’s interviews last year when he would say that Diaz deserved more games behind the plate. I’m getting the impression that he doesn’t really have a say in when to pull the plug on Abreu.

Diaz needs less games, and more quality at bats. He’s hit the wall on being the starter 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

Diaz needs less games, and more quality at bats. He’s hit the wall on being the starter 

I agree - just referencing Dana saying last year, that Diaz needs to start instead of Maldy.

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Diaz, Altuve, and Pena have all been overused and are all slumping. You have this guy on the team that has actually been successful and plays every infield position, but he only plays the OF.

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

I learned last year that the manager has control of the lineup card. I guess Espada is Manager in Name Only?

Rookie manager picks up 7 time Division champs... Uh, yeah he's following orders and taking darts.

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Heard more of what Dana said. Lmao that dude is such a dope.

"Down in Florida he hit over .300 and had an OPS over .900"

Yeah off a fucking tee probably asshat.

come on man, they pulled people from the stands to throw him BP !

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jose Altuve is playing hurt ?

First 32 games: .349 avg, .987 OPS
7 SB, 1 CS

Last 21 games: .216 avg, .565 OPS
1 SB, 1 CS

He's not hurt, pitchers are throwing more stuff away because he's trying to pull everything. He either strikes out or rolls over to the 3B. The Astros offensive philosophy of pulling everything is abysmal.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's not hurt, pitchers are throwing more stuff away because he's trying to pull everything. He either strikes out or rolls over to the 3B. The Astros offensive philosophy of pulling everything is abysmal.

I would throw every RH batter breaking and away pitches, out of the strike zone. they love to swing and miss at those pitches 

Altuve’s first two pitches, every game and he starts the at bat 0-2 

Through 54 games.

2024 Astros: 24-30 record. 3rd in AL West, 4.5 games back

2016 Astros: 25-29 record. 3rd in AL West, 6.5 games back

2005 Astros: 21-34 record. Last in NL Central, 15.5 games back

The 2005 Astros made the World Series, the 2016 Astros didn’t make the postseason

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Through 54 games.

2024 Astros: 24-30 record. 3rd in AL West, 4.5 games back

2016 Astros: 25-29 record. 3rd in AL West, 6.5 games back

2005 Astros: 21-34 record. Last in NL Central, 15.5 games back

The 2005 Astros made the World Series, the 2016 Astros didn’t make the postseason

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of Luhnow, it was the age of Purpura, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the post season of Light, it was the post season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

I hope he drives Bagwell to drinking again.  It will be his greatest contribution to the Astros.

Are you under the impression this man has not been drinking? Have you not seen this man throw them back in the diamond club?