Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Valdez (3), Verlander (2), Javier (4), Blanco (5) have started half of the #Astros 28 games. Their numbers in 14 starts: 7-0, 1.83 ERA, 83.2 IP

Other starters numbers: 0-10, 9.49 ERA, 54 IP *(Brown, France, Arrighetti, Henley)

Bullpen: 2-9, 4.95 ERA, 107.1 IP

Team: 9-19, 4.92 ERA

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Valdez (3), Verlander (2), Javier (4), Blanco (5) have started half of the #Astros 28 games. Their numbers in 14 starts: 7-0, 1.83 ERA, 83.2 IP

Tell those 4 to stop getting hurt

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Trade bait ?

It was the longest homer in either MLB or MiLb this year.

Leon has elite power potential but he’s 1100+ pa into AAA and hasn’t shown it consistently.  He’s probably just an exciting bench player but replicating Jose Siri’s career wouldn’t shock me.

You guys are idiots.  Abreu takes advantage of the thin air to raise his batting average to .099, and you want to throw him away--just as he's heating up.  I'm glad none of you non-baseball card reading degenerates is running the organization.

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, WBT said:

Meh.  Loperfido is going to put up a Chris Carter like K rate

I don't give a fuck. Sure, he's gonna strike out ~40% of the time. He's fast, not terrible on defense, and will hit for extra bases when not striking out. That's an improvement. 

Trade Jake. I will never understand the Jake love. I like him, I root for him. A lot of people whose opinion I respect promote him. But nobody has a better penchant for stepping on his own dick, especially in big moments. God Bless you guys that promote him but he has no business on a team with World Series expectations. I would love to be wrong but three years says I’m not. We need a real outfielder. It’s like QBs. If you have 2 or 3 you have none. Tucker, maybe Chas but for Gods sakes find a real starter for OF. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Trade Jake. I will never understand the Jake love. I like him, I root for him. A lot of people whose opinion I respect promote him. But nobody has a better penchant for stepping on his own dick, especially in big moments. God Bless you guys that promote him but he has no business on a team with World Series expectations. I would love to be wrong but three years says I’m not. We need a real outfielder. It’s like QBs. If you have 2 or 3 you have none. Tucker, maybe Chas but for Gods sakes find a real starter for OF. 

we should have traded peak chas like we did myles straw

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

My guess is it’s either a straight salary dump or a swap of bad contracts with Benintendi coming to Houston.

Yuck, Benintendi has 4 years and 66m? left on his deal. No way they would do that without some other decent player coming back to the Astros, or a bunch of money to relieve their cap hits.  Maybe they swing for the fences and try to get Robert in the trade, but I doubt they could make that happen. 

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yuck, Benintendi has 4 years and 66m? left on his deal. No way they would do that without some other decent player coming back to the Astros, or a bunch of money to relieve their cap hits.  Maybe they swing for the fences and try to get Robert in the trade, but I doubt they could make that happen. 

Yeah seems like it only works if the white Sox eat a bunch of money.  But Benintendi is only 29 and hit 2 HR on Saturday; he’s probably just broken, unlike Abreu who is fully dead.  I would be fine with the trade especially if the Sox ate $15M+.  Benintendi can be used sparingly as a 4th OF or lefty bench bat and wouldn’t be as glaring as Abreu.  Other thing that could happen is Chicago sending prospects with Benintendi to offset the $ difference.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

Would the lower AAV for Benintendi help us wrt the CBT? 

It feels like the White Sox should be willing to take on bad money to get prospects right now, not the other way around.

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yeah seems like it only works if the white Sox eat a bunch of money.  But Benintendi is only 29 and hit 2 HR on Saturday; he’s probably just broken, unlike Abreu who is fully dead.  I would be fine with the trade especially if the Sox ate $15M+.  Benintendi can be used sparingly as a 4th OF or lefty bench bat and wouldn’t be as glaring as Abreu.  Other thing that could happen is Chicago sending prospects with Benintendi to offset the $ difference.

Yeah, that could be attractive, but 2 years 39m with Abreu vs 4 years ~66m with Beni is rough.  If they ate 20m of Beni's deal at 5m a year to help with cap/tax relief, I could see that helping the deal. A little bit more costly over time for Houston, but you get a guy that's batting close to .200 vs a guy going even lower from ~.070. 

I doubt the rebuilding White Sox want to send any prospects with him, honestly their best asset right now is cap space. They should be like the Mets who built up their farm last year by using cap space to facilitate trades for some good prospects. Maybe they could be interested in an up-and-coming Jake Myers, a dynamo prospect in Forest Whitley and a slightly used JP France to include some better players like Luis Robert! :D He has a lot of health issues, but we don't need him to play 150 games every year...

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, WBT said:

Would the lower AAV for Benintendi help us wrt the CBT? 

It feels like the White Sox should be willing to take on bad money to get prospects right now, not the other way around.

The White Sox are a stupidly run organization.  Including prospects to swap Benintendi for Abreu would be idiotic but it’s the kind of move the White Sox would do.  

But even if Chicago just threw in $5M-$10M I would consider it fair and an ok trade for Houston.  Abreu isn’t just sucking, he’s unplayable, and my guess is he’s also negatively affecting the culture; even though he’s ’working hard’, having an overpaid veteran who simply can’t play anymore has to be depressing for everyone to watch.

• Hook 'Em 2