Port Aransas

Paco

2 years ago we were on N Padre and Scuttlebutt's had the Covid. Now I find out it's been closed due to fire.  Need an alternative for family of 6 (all 15+), and after a day at the beach, outside/patio seating is not preferred.  Nothing else really fits the bill for a larger indoor place, which is why we went to Scuttlebutt's in the past!  Port A I imagine is crowded...may have to go to Corpus.

8 hours ago, PantsTent said:

2 years ago we were on N Padre and Scuttlebutt's had the Covid. Now I find out it's been closed due to fire.  Need an alternative for family of 6 (all 15+), and after a day at the beach, outside/patio seating is not preferred.  Nothing else really fits the bill for a larger indoor place, which is why we went to Scuttlebutt's in the past!  Port A I imagine is crowded...may have to go to Corpus.

Tortugas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tortugas

This is a good idea as it’s one of the few places you can make a reservation. If it’s for tonight though he’s probably SOL, they are likely full. Pretty much all the restaurants are running at least a 2 hour wait for larger parties on the weekends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:16 AM, justhookit said:

Passed by the location today on the way back from the beach. It’s called Bier Haus. Looks like they have one other location in Lubbock.

Bier Haus in Lubbock has damn good burgers. And they haves some pink margarita-type drink that is damn good if you can hide the shame of drinking it. But, yes you would hope for something other than another burger place in Port A. 

Kinda bummed to hear about Scuttlebutt's.  I hope they bounce back strong, but it won't be near as funky as it was.  I met my wife there on a quiet Sunday.  We were the only two people there at that time.  Proposed to her 30 months later, sitting on the same two barstools, with music, football, and a packed house.  They rolled out the red carpet for us, and we were on the website for a while.

Sometimes, I miss home, but I really don't have a reason to go back there anymore.  Probably should, though.  But I'll wait for Scuttlebutt's to reopen...ha!

On 6/19/2023 at 7:57 PM, APMP said:

Beach out by us (access road #2, marker 97ish I think) had plenty of space this morning and evening.

I usually drive down to Entrance 2 when I am in Port A just to get at least some space.

On 6/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, PantsTent said:

You can make a reservation at Rock N Rolls Sushi assuming you are in North Padre,Hope they are still decent.  I liked them because I could roll in after fishing at 5 till 10 pm and they would happily serve me. But they can get slammed. The pressure on any of the restaurants on the summer weekends is tough. But if you are going to go hop over the causeway, then my first stop is usually Black Diamond Oyster Bar on Naval Air Station Drive which is first exit off the causeway.  Ironically don't love their oysters, but some of the best food around down there.  Damn... My go to was Blackened Fish Sandwich, substituting a salad with 1000 island for fries.  Sunday evenings usually had music outside, which opened up the inside tables in the A/C.   I wasn't a huge fan of scuttlebutts, but everyone could find something to be happy with there.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, PantsTent said:

Doc's and Snoopys (both under the bridge) are decent sized.  And the food is good.  Haven't been to either in awhile because I've been too busy but my buddies say it's still the same.

On 6/25/2023 at 2:17 PM, After irth said:

Kinda bummed to hear about Scuttlebutt's.  I hope they bounce back strong, but it won't be near as funky as it was.  I met my wife there on a quiet Sunday.  We were the only two people there at that time.  Proposed to her 30 months later, sitting on the same two barstools, with music, football, and a packed house.  They rolled out the red carpet for us, and we were on the website for a while.

Sometimes, I miss home, but I really don't have a reason to go back there anymore.  Probably should, though.  But I'll wait for Scuttlebutt's to reopen...ha!

Scuttlebutt's should be back after a bit.

But, it's only quiet there in the deep off seasons between the summer tourons and the winter Texans...

BUT...right now, if you are on the island or in Port A, do NOT try to go into Corpus.  Traffic is fucked up because they've got roads down to 1 lane (why the fuck they didn't do this during the aforesaid off season is beyond me and everyone who lives here).

If you have to go, use the ferry if you're in Port A.  I can't guarantee it but it's probably quicker to get to Corpus that way than to drive through NPI and then go over the bridge...

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Scuttlebutt's should be back after a bit.

But, it's only quiet there in the deep off seasons between the summer tourons and the winter Texans...

BUT...right now, if you are on the island or in Port A, do NOT try to go into Corpus.  Traffic is fucked up because they've got roads down to 1 lane (why the fuck they didn't do this during the aforesaid off season is beyond me and everyone who lives here).

If you have to go, use the ferry if you're in Port A.  I can't guarantee it but it's probably quicker to get to Corpus that way than to drive through NPI and then go over the bridge...

Has it changed since Memorial Day weekend?  I went that way that Saturday and it was a bit of a pain in the ass and wait but much better then the 45 minute ferry wait that was going on, it especially was faster for me coming from downtown Corpus.  

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Has it changed since Memorial Day weekend?  I went that way that Saturday and it was a bit of a pain in the ass and wait but much better then the 45 minute ferry wait that was going on, it especially was faster for me coming from downtown Corpus.  

Yeah.  It's changed in the past week or so.  One lane both ways AND they're restricting the traffic on the bridge they're building on 22 (you won't care if you're going to Port A, though).  But, I think it's supposed to be done after Friday, thank god.

I've been avoiding going OTB because of it (thank you IGA!) but everyone who's crossed says it's bad leaving but FUCKED UP coming back (even if you do the Red Dot cheat). 

I can't believe someone came up with the bright idea to restrict traffic off the island during hurricane season...

• Like 1

On our way down today. I’m not happy about it. Meeting some of the wife’s family and I don’t like any of them. We usually go down in September or October. I’m already pissed about the crowds and I haven’t even left the house yet.

We will be alone tonight. So I need a good recommendation for dinner. Probably the only good time I’ll have for the next couple of days.

It’s been 3 years since we’ve been down. Where are the good places to eat now? We always enjoyed Shells but they are gone. Is the Venetian hot plate still there? Is Roosevelt still good?

On our way down today. I’m not happy about it. Meeting some of the wife’s family and I don’t like any of them. We usually go down in September or October. I’m already pissed about the crowds and I haven’t even left the house yet.

We will be alone tonight. So I need a good recommendation for dinner. Probably the only good time I’ll have for the next couple of days.

It’s been 3 years since we’ve been down. Where are the good places to eat now? We always enjoyed Shells but they are gone. Is the Venetian hot plate still there? Is Roosevelt still good?

Go put your name on the list at La Playa around 4:00.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drifter379 said:

To me Venetian is the best restaurant here by far, but there is no way you’ll be able to get in tonight. Heck these days it’s fully booked even during the week. Roosevelt’s is hit and miss lately. They might have an opening though at the new bar attached to it called 1886. They serve a limited menu from the Roosevelt’s kitchen.

Basically though on weekends now you are fucked for dining out without a reservation. Wherever you go, go early - like 4:45. Good luck.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, Teebox said:

Is there any place besides Tortuga that takes reservations?  Also, when does Shortys open? 

Not a reservation but you can put you name on the wait list at Virginia's on Yelp, to help cut the wait time. Black Marlin also has reservations, and I have had some pretty darn good food there the few times we have gone in. But the get your name on the list at La Playa is always a good suggestion.  One thing we have noticed about La Playa is that if you are a fair way back on the list a LOT of folks do not show back up if they are not in the first wave of seating.  So sometimes it looks like no hope for hours, and we go by at 6:15 to find we are a lot closer than we thought to being seated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, drifter379 said:

image.gif.661138b00bbe4fd66e902ed7ae0b6d2b.gif

11 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

PSA:  If you're down here with a boat, be careful.  The Game Wardens are out in force on NPI...

It's not only boats now!  I think that our ratio of being stopped when running up and down the channel by the game wardens is about 60%. Never had any issues except in the main channel from the jettys to Aransas Pass.  They are looking very closely, enforcing having the kill switch lanyard being physically attached to the driver.   It's just a new emphasis according to my Lake Patrol Sheriff buddy, saying they are specifically looking for it a lot more.

The biggest change in enforcement to me now is the addition of the ATV patrolling wardens on the beach.  I actually forgot last September that my license had expired, and waited until the next morning to buy a paper license rather than he instant online one.  A couple hours later I was talking with the game wardens.  If you don't want to buy a license, don't fish, or simply go to a state park where you do not need a license to fish.  But I must say I do mind when they start poking around in all my shit without at least a cursory asking permission.  But if you are fishing on the beach without a license in the area you are very likely to be asked to show your license.

Tight lines!

On 7/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, Teebox said:

Is there any place besides Tortuga that takes reservations?  Also, when does Shortys open? 

Venetian, Phoenix, Roosevelt’s, Lisabella’s, and maybe Black Marlin.

Nobody seems to know Shorty’s timeline but from driving by I’d guess sometime this month. So only like 3 months behind schedule.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

It's not only boats now!  I think that our ratio of being stopped when running up and down the channel by the game wardens is about 60%. Never had any issues except in the main channel from the jettys to Aransas Pass.  They are looking very closely, enforcing having the kill switch lanyard being physically attached to the driver.   It's just a new emphasis according to my Lake Patrol Sheriff buddy, saying they are specifically looking for it a lot more.

The biggest change in enforcement to me now is the addition of the ATV patrolling wardens on the beach.  I actually forgot last September that my license had expired, and waited until the next morning to buy a paper license rather than he instant online one.  A couple hours later I was talking with the game wardens.  If you don't want to buy a license, don't fish, or simply go to a state park where you do not need a license to fish.  But I must say I do mind when they start poking around in all my shit without at least a cursory asking permission.  But if you are fishing on the beach without a license in the area you are very likely to be asked to show your license.

Tight lines!

I'm avoiding the beach like it's covered in Monkey Pox right now.  Too many tourons out there, let alone people fishing.

But, I have been out at this time before and yeah...cops, sheriffs, game wardens, and even border patrol occasionally, make their rounds.  Game wardens tend to be the most hardass.  I think they're pissed they have to work the holiday weekend because of dumbasses breaking the law.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I'm avoiding the beach like it's covered in Monkey Pox right now.  Too many tourons out there, let alone people fishing.

That's why you will never see me at the coast on 4th of July, Memorial nor Labor Day weekends.  Hell I barely like the weekdays with all the Yahoos.  I actually sort of enjoyed a trip to Port O'Conner a few weeks ago now that they have a few places open to provide me food and drink after 9 pm.  And not near the pressure on the bay during the week as Port A.

I need to go down and do a Port A weekday trip before too long when the wind lays down a little, mon-wed are the best days in Port A right now.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Had to run to Port A last week to take care of some stuff so I ran by where Shorty's used to be.  Damn that's creepy with it gone...

IMG_8828.thumb.jpeg.ff15c82ddee9f52066f99f1084bf0a6f.jpeg

And the new one still isn’t open dammit. I heard the other day it will be soon though.

That empty lot where Shorty’s was should soon be an outdoor area for the people that bought the Flats building. The new bar is looking good on the inside.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

And the new one still isn’t open dammit. I heard the other day it will be soon though.

That empty lot where Shorty’s was should soon be an outdoor area for the people that bought the Flats building. The new bar is looking good on the inside.

Wait...The FLATS is "looking good"?

Well, end of the world is nigh.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:30 PM, Hate said:

I’ll be there in October. I can’t wait!!

See ya then! 

Was looking at the surf on a cam this morning and water is clear to the beach.  Been cloudy even with the wind has laid down since about mid-June. Too bad I am hosting a party this weekend, or I would have gone down yesterday.  IF the water stays clear I may have to see if I can roll down Monday or Tuesday for a day or two. 🙏

8 hours ago, landman said:

Has Trout Street improved at all?  Going with in-laws next weekend and a faction of them are insisting on a meal at Trout Street, over La Playa or anywhere else on the island.  I'm pushing them for a quick lunch there if anything.  

port aransas has never quite capitalized on the natural human desire to dine on the water -  seeing the boats docked, watching the boats come in, seeing the fishermen with their catch.  the wharf should be the riverwalk or warehouse district of the town, but there's never been a place worth a shit there to eat at.  

On 8/4/2023 at 4:46 PM, thrillhammer said:

port aransas has never quite capitalized on the natural human desire to dine on the water -  seeing the boats docked, watching the boats come in, seeing the fishermen with their catch.  the wharf should be the riverwalk or warehouse district of the town, but there's never been a place worth a shit there to eat at.  

Well to be fair, you dont really go to port a for the dining. Padre and Galveston blow it out of the water, food wise. However, port a never seems fully crowded every time ove been, and the water is great and the traffic is always light, comparatively speaking. Port A is a more blue collar, casual spot, which I love. Very little hustle and bustle compared to the other two big texas islands

19 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Well to be fair, you dont really go to port a for the dining. Padre and Galveston blow it out of the water, food wise. However, port a never seems fully crowded every time ove been, and the water is great and the traffic is always light, comparatively speaking. Port A is a more blue collar, casual spot, which I love. Very little hustle and bustle compared to the other two big texas islands

I will agree with this.

We just got back from Galveston and I will say Gaidos is the best beach restaurant I have ever been to on the Texas coast.

On 8/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

well you could though.  the only reason you dont is because no chef with any chops has decided to move there and open a restaurant. you could say you dont go to alpine for fine dining but tim love left ft worth and opened up a decent restaurant there.  it could happen.  lisabella's is probably the finest cuisine that town has seen, venetian hot plate probably second.  i'm not saying the wharf should be turned into the kemah boardwalk (god forbid), but the potential has always been there.  the thing is people went to jimmie walker's for decades before landry's commercialized the place.  and though it was great food, you really went to be on the water.  like people go to oasis for example, or ski shores, or any waterfront bar/restaurant.  cocktails and waterfront views are a recipe for success.  people dont want to drive 4 hrs and eat at la playa or venetian hot plate.  the city they just left has hundreds of restaurants like those.

• Hook 'Em 1