The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

For the entire series, we outscored Vegas 5-0 with Tanev on the ice.

curb your enthusiasm GIF

And the goal total for the entire series was Stars: 16, Knights 16.

But with Tanev on the ice, it was 5-0 Stars. Crazy.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Boston played Game 7 on Saturday and will start their series tonight. Shit happens, especially with a busy arena (Mavs, Stars and other events).

There were three seven-game series in the first round last year -- Colorado/Seattle, New Jersey/New York R and Florida/Boston. All three of the winners' second-round series started two days later.

Yep.  If you want more rest, win in less than 7 games.

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Be careful what you wish for.

This is gonna be a tough series.  I've never said otherwise.  Just don't get the bitching about rest.  This is how the playoffs goes.

Posted (edited)

I just think there should be a 2 day buffer between the end of one series and the start of the next.  And if someone can end their series early, they earn additional rest. 

but, no travel does help out in this case.  Colorado I guess had to wait and travel today, unless they did some late travel last night. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And the Musers had the absurd stat this morning that the head coaches of the Dallas teams in sports that have seen-game playoff series are now a collective 16-0 in Games 7.

Jason Kidd is 2-0.

Bruce Bochy is 6-0.

Pete DeBoer is 8-0.

That's incredible.  I can't imagine any other city having anything similar in the history of ever.

Dallas Cowboys Dancing GIF by Jomboy Media

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

This is gonna be a tough series.  I've never said otherwise.  Just don't get the bitching about rest.  This is how the playoffs goes.

It's the only series without either additional off days before the start (see Vancouver/Edmonton Weds start after series set Friday night) or a scheduled extra day off around travel. It's a real advantage for Colorado after playing 7 against one of the more physical teams in the league.  It is what it is.  The positive is with our series starting first, if we can manage to pull it off, we will have an extra day before the WCF's start.

Excited for this series.  Going to be such a completely different style of hockey.

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's the only series without either additional off days before the start (see Vancouver/Edmonton Weds start after series set Friday night) or a scheduled extra day off around travel. It's a real advantage for Colorado after playing 7 against one of the more physical teams in the league.  It is what it is.  The positive is with our series starting first, if we can manage to pull it off, we will have an extra day before the WCF's start.

Excited for this series.  Going to be such a completely different style of hockey.

We've all seen the rest thing go both ways.  Sometimes the team that went 7 is tired, and other times the team that had a long layoff is rusty.  This is going to be a fun series, for sure.  These teams are pretty evenly matched.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

Is there any chance of Hakanpaa getting back at any point?

Vegas seemed like much more of a Hakanpaa series than Colorado.   Not sure Nils would be better (obviously the Vegas goal last game was on him) but slow ass Hak scares me against the Avs speed

• Drool 1

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We've all seen the rest thing go both ways.  Sometimes the team that went 7 is tired, and other times the team that had a long layoff is rusty.  This is going to be a fun series, for sure.  These teams are pretty evenly matched.

Yeah I remember the asstros fans whining about 6 months ago. 

Much has been said over Vegas' use of LTIR to augment their team. With the way that the Western Conference was so close among the top teams, those additions "just in time" for the playoffs legitimately changed the weight of the Golden Knights. The Knights team that played Dallas wasn't the #8 team in the West. They were legit Cup contenders.

Even so, what kept them in the series against Dallas was unholy goalkeeping. With the Knights playing a tight defense first with big bodies, Dallas still screamed in on them with multiple odd man rushes - only to see those opportunities snuffed by a miracle save. With even a reasonable save percent, the Stars win comfortably if not easily. In short, Dallas just fought through a team that could have easily repeated.

If Dallas goes through a brutal series against Colorado and emerges bloodied but victorious in 7, then we can talk about fatigue. As it stands, it's more likely Dallas still has the aggression dialed up at home against a talented team that didn't have to work too hard in the 1st round. I'm not predicting anything easy. The Avs are a much different team than Vegas. They have lots of "WTF" skill players that have given the Stars fits in the past. Like the Oilers, they have so many individually brilliant players that it looks like a brilliant system. Obviously, we need "good Otter" to stay around (I'm confident he's here). Both teams can score. I just haven't seen any history of the Avs netminders being able to rescue their team. It's trite, but I see that difference in goaltending winning the series for the Stars.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Much has been said over Vegas' use of LTIR to augment their team. With the way that the Western Conference was so close among the top teams, those additions "just in time" for the playoffs legitimately changed the weight of the Golden Knights. The Knights team that played Dallas wasn't the #8 team in the West. They were legit Cup contenders.

Even so, what kept them in the series against Dallas was unholy goalkeeping. With the Knights playing a tight defense first with big bodies, Dallas still screamed in on them with multiple odd man rushes - only to see those opportunities snuffed by a miracle save. With even a reasonable save percent, the Stars win comfortably if not easily. In short, Dallas just fought through a team that could have easily repeated.

If Dallas goes through a brutal series against Colorado and emerges bloodied but victorious in 7, then we can talk about fatigue. As it stands, it's more likely Dallas still has the aggression dialed up at home against a talented team that didn't have to work too hard in the 1st round. I'm not predicting anything easy. The Avs are a much different team than Vegas. They have lots of "WTF" skill players that have given the Stars fits in the past. Like the Oilers, they have so many individually brilliant players that it looks like a brilliant system. Obviously, we need "good Otter" to stay around (I'm confident he's here). Both teams can score. I just haven't seen any history of the Avs netminders being able to rescue their team. It's trite, but I see that difference in goaltending winning the series for the Stars.

Agreed with this.  It's just going to be a completely different series.   Against Vegas, a 3rd period 2 goal lead for either team would have felt insurmountable.  Not going to be the case this series.  Hopefully the defensive intensity and focus that was a necessity against Vegas carries over and gives Otter a chance to win the games for us.   I absolutely expect us to score more goals this series.  2 goals won the last 2 games in the first round and 3 goals won 6/7 last series.  I will be surprised if 2 goals wins any games this round.  Probably going to take 4 or 5 most nights.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is fucking bullshit the mavs and stars are up against each at the exact same fucking time fuck fuck fuck fuckityfuck

one perk with youtube tv is the split screen feature. don't know if other streaming platforms have that or not

5 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Fuck, no Bally’s this round?
Razor and Josh are infinitely better than espn

Round 2 and beyond is national only. Hate it, but it means we’re still in it.