Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Royalfan5

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are having problems physically seeing the tornadoes obviously, but seeing them on radar.

Still on the ground apparently 

Alan seems solid. Von sounds like a blundering idiot.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Still in OKC and now it kinda looks like we’re gonna get buttonhooked by the ass-end of this storm.

weather experts - comment please.

Looks like it will miss you to the north.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Still in OKC and now it kinda looks like we’re gonna get buttonhooked by the ass-end of this storm.

weather experts - comment please.

Looks like a new big ol' banger of a storm is headed right at OKC. Currently a Severe warned storm, could very easily spin up. ETA like 30 minutes. OKC is right in the middle of a literal maximum favorability for tornadic activity. So uh, keep your head on a swivel and whatnot. 

Edited by boknowstecmo

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Looks like it will miss you to the north.

Never mind.  Just reloaded the radar.  
There’s a storm headed your way (maybe a tad south), at about 10:50ish.

4 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

Good god, 100mph straightline gust reported in or near Norman, Ok. OKC  and Moore under a tornado warning. Absolute monster storm, even if a tornado doesn't drop. 

The nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms

34 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm glad they are OK but how on god's green earth does a Brazilian pop their USA cherry in Bartlesville Oklahoma?

Back when I was an MIS major at UT the running joke among the big 6 consulting firms was that was the worst possible destination you could have to visit a client at.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I'm glad they are OK but how on god's green earth does a Brazilian pop their USA cherry in Bartlesville Oklahoma?

Back when I was an MIS major at UT the running joke among the big 6 consulting firms was that was the worst possible destination you could have to visit a client at.

I mean, obviously I'm a small town midwest guy, but I've been through Bartlesville and thought it was pretty nice.  You're near some nice outdoor areas, just up the road from Tulsa, and the town itself seemed to be doing well - especially in comparison to any other non-college town or major city in Oklahoma I've been through.  Not a vacation destination, but no shithole either.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, obviously I'm a small town midwest guy, but I've been through Bartlesville and thought it was pretty nice.  You're near some nice outdoor areas, just up the road from Tulsa, and the town itself seemed to be doing well - especially in comparison to any other non-college town or major city in Oklahoma I've been through.  Not a vacation destination, but no shithole either.

You have to remember as a college student in Texas the worst state ever moniker belonged to Oklahoma. As to how/why Bartlesville was the chosen city to be mocked I honestly do not know. I would imagine the cities/towns in western Oklahoma would be far more desolate/terrible.

Just now, Pimphand said:

You have to remember as a college student in Texas the worst state ever moniker belonged to Oklahoma. As to how/why Bartlesville was the chosen city to be mocked I honestly do not know. I would imagine the cities/towns in western Oklahoma would be far more desolate/terrible.

Yeah, that's fair.  A lot of small town Oklahoma is pretty run down (no worse than a lot of Texas though, either in my experience) but I found Bartlesville to be better than most I've been through.

I think with OK being this meeting point of the Midwest/South/Southwest, the more "Midwest" part of the state you're in (north and west of 44/40), the better off it tends to be compared to the more "South" parts (anything south of 44/east of 35).  Again, that's my bias coming through, but Bartlesville feeling more Midwest than South probably colored my perception.

9 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Hooker.  Check out Hooker sometime.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, that's fair.  A lot of small town Oklahoma is pretty run down (no worse than a lot of Texas though, either in my experience) but I found Bartlesville to be better than most I've been through.

I think with OK being this meeting point of the Midwest/South/Southwest, the more "Midwest" part of the state you're in (north and west of 44/40), the better off it tends to be compared to the more "South" parts (anything south of 44/east of 35).  Again, that's my bias coming through, but Bartlesville feeling more Midwest than South probably colored my perception.

I mean they did have to abandon Picher in NE Oklahoma because it was falling into the abandoned lead mines. 

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It likely has more to do with legacy oil money from Phillips Petroleum being founded there and that both Phillips 66 and Conoco Phillips still have a large footprint in the community. How many towns of its size can boast of having a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed tower in them, after all?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I mean they did have to abandon Picher in NE Oklahoma because it was falling into the abandoned lead mines. 

Not just Picher but Cardin & Douthat too (as well as Treece, KS across the state line)

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That's at least high EF3 and very likely EF4 damage.  

Good eye. Last night, the Tulsa weather guys clocked wind speeds that would likely indicate an EF4 when all was said and done. Just a devastating situation for a community that doesn't look like it had much to begin with. I can only imagine the shock they're going through right now and the heartbreak they'll feel over the long haul.

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Good eye. Last night, the Tulsa weather guys clocked wind speeds that would likely indicate an EF4 when all was said and done. Just a devastating situation for a community that doesn't look like it had much to begin with. I can only imagine the shock they're going through right now and the heartbreak they'll feel over the long haul.

Just putting my college courses to work that actually interest me.  I remember having to study photos of storm damage and estimate wind speeds from tornados based on destruction.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have zero doubt that tornado was an EF-4 at least. Debris going 30k into the air indicates an incredibly powerful storm. It may end up being borderline EF-5 damage at some places along the tornado’s path. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

I have zero doubt that tornado was an EF-4 at least. Debris going 30k into the air indicates an incredibly powerful storm. It may end up being borderline EF-5 damage at some places along the tornado’s path. 

They got real lucky that first storm the chopper was covering didn't fully develop a massive meso-tornado.  The ground crew was measuring 70+mph sustained inflow winds flowing into the notch.  That's absolutely incredible.  Could have had a full scale meso-cyclone reach the ground nearly 2 miles wide if it had accomplished what it was trying to do.  

• Hook 'Em 1