Kansas @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

#25 TEXAS (32-20, 17-10) vs. KANSAS (29-18, 15-12)
Where: UFCU Disch-FalkField
Time: Thursday at 6:30 p.m.; Friday at 6:30 p.m.; Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
TV: Longhorn Network
Radio: AM-1300 The Zone/103.1 FM
Live stats: Texas.Statbroadcast.com

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
THURSDAY–Texas RHP Charlie Hurley (5-0, 6.14) vs. Kansas RHP Reese Dutton (7-4, 3.50)
FRIDAY–Texas RHP Max Grubbs (4-4, 3.70) vs. Kansas RHP Dominic Voegele (7-2, 3.55)
SATURDAY–Texas RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr. (2-4, 5.82) vs. Kansas TBA

According to the UT stats page LBJ's season ERA is now 6.03 and his conference ERA is 8.58.  In conference, teams are batting .327 against him and his WHIP is over 2. In his last 3 starts he has only made it through a total of 11.1 innings and has given up 19 hits, 13 earned runs, 7 walks, and 3 homeruns.  That does not inspire confidence.

Is Ace hurt?  He has not been lights out either but has done a lot better than LBJ.

37 minutes ago, .45s said:

According to the UT stats page LBJ's season ERA is now 6.03 and his conference ERA is 8.58.  In conference, teams are batting .327 against him and his WHIP is over 2. In his last 3 starts he has only made it through a total of 11.1 innings and has given up 19 hits, 13 earned runs, 7 walks, and 3 homeruns.  That does not inspire confidence.

Is Ace hurt?  He has not been lights out either but has done a lot better than LBJ.

4 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

IP by season.

Ace:

2023: 26.1

2024: 54.2

Max:

2023: 8.2

2024: 64.0

That's a large difference for Ace (especially pitching through a nagging injury) and a massive increase for Max. Texas is in the postseason regardless of what happens at this point; and has no shot to host. So, it makes sense for Pierce to give Ace a "rest", limit Max, and see if Hurley can work his way back as a realistic starting option for the postseason.

For Texas to do anything positive in the NCAA Tournament, pitching must step the fuck up. Hold onto your butts, friends.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, .45s said:

He could do better than that throwing nothing but fastballs down the middle.  But he can't do that either.

We have tickets for tonight, but with all the possible severe weather and 50 minutes of drive time each way we may settle in and watch the game on the big screen at home.  Hopefully they cancel and schedule a double header and make Ernie happy.

5 minutes ago, .45s said:

We have tickets for tonight, but with all the possible severe weather and 50 minutes of drive time each way we may settle in and watch the game on the big screen at home.  Hopefully they cancel and schedule a double header and make Ernie happy.

Watch Ernie's interviews on YT. He was always happy, doubleheaders just made him more happy.  Lulz. 

15 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Watch Ernie's interviews on YT. He was always happy, doubleheaders just made him more happy.  Lulz. 

I will do that.  We have an autographed picture of Ernie somewhere.  Years ago one of my employees met him at a diabetes fund raiser, got an autograph, and gave it to my son.   I grew up in Houston and got to see him play a few times before he retired.  I am old enough to have seen a lot of the greats that were his contemporaries.  By the way, Ernie was born and raised in Texas.

3 minutes ago, .45s said:

I will do that.  We have an autographed picture of Ernie somewhere.  Years ago one of my employees met him at a diabetes fund raiser, got an autograph, and gave it to my son.   I grew up in Houston and got to see him play a few times before he retired.  I am old enough to have seen a lot of the greats that were his contemporaries.  By the way, Ernie was born and raised in Texas.

Ha! I also grew up in the Houston area, watched the Astros/Rockets/Aeros of the 70s/80s/90s in person, so I saw many greats play in person, too.

Mom (who was a RN) was a first-aid-room tech/nurse in the Houston Colt .45s' old Colt Stadium for a couple seasons -- a few years later moved to SF and saw more greats play for the Giants when they first moved out to SF.

1 hour ago, .45s said:

https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/e1f6ae54c6d7fbdc88a7d286a292c86090479a89e0cccc98323014619a144d75

Radar shows heavy t'storms and rain at present clearing  about 8PM.

31 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Ha! I also grew up in the Houston area, watched the Astros/Rockets/Aeros of the 70s/80s/90s in person, so I saw many greats play in person, too.

Mom (who was a RN) was a first-aid-room tech/nurse in the Houston Colt .45s' old Colt Stadium for a couple seasons -- a few years later moved to SF and saw more greats play for the Giants when they first moved out to SF.

I sat through a few of those sauna games at Colt Stadium as a little kid and then enjoyed the 72 degree year round weather in the Dome until I moved out of state in the early 80s for quite a while.  My grandmother and a couple of aunts worked at the concession stands for years at colt stadium and the dome and we could get some freebies occasionally.  In high school and college I went to see the Astros a lot and would call my grandmother to find out what stand she was working.  The vendors then (maybe Aramark) tracked food and beverage sales by the number of cups sold and the number of buns sold.  The workers brought in loaves of bread and their own cups so they could eat and drink for free.  I would go to my grandmother's stand and either she or one of my aunts would make a burger or sandwich on their bread for me and load it up.  I loved my grandma.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

If they were smart they designed it like a highway sign with frangible bolts that can just be replaced.  Still need a crane.   Other wise the series would probably have to be moved or cancelled.   

that's what it looks like.   pretty clean looking break

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

TIL the green monster is called the batter's eye?

I don't care what they call it, we're the team with the power -- 103 home runs to 65 for Kansas.

Tear the damn thing down.