Nuts & Bolts vs. Socket Head Cap Screws and Allen Wrenches

TwiceHorn

It dawned on me that you hardly ever seen nuts and bolts anymore.  Fasteners that use "socket head cap screws" and allen wrenches, or Torx, or similar have almost completely supplanted nuts and bolts except in wood carpentry/construction.

I realize that such fasteners are stronger and more resistant to fatigue, but it's not like they were previously unknown.

I realized this while looking at my bike tools, where I have one of these, that I used to think was the shiznit when I was a kid in the 70s.  Now it's damn near useless.

th?id=OIP.M5amSNt9SjiFeEsaM66rmAHaHa%26p

Crescent wrenches are becoming obsolescent.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Every time I go into Tractor supply, I buy a bunch of random bolts and nuts and just keep a shitload available in a plastic tub.

You know why?

Because I still use them, as do most people for purposes other than a bike.

Ban OP for life after 30 lashes.

Edited by Steel Shank

8 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Every time I go into Tractor supply, I buy a bunch of random bolts and nuts and just keep a shitload available in a plastic tub.

You know why?

I inherited many jars of nuts, bolts and washers from my Dad.  I still use em on occasion, but not nearly as much as allen wrenches anymore.  Machine screws and nuts more than actual bolts.  Part of it, I guess, is that I never wrench on cars anymore, at least not engines, but I suspect I'd find a lot of allen and torx there too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I inherited many jars of nuts, bolts and washers from my Dad.  I still use em on occasion, but not nearly as much as allen wrenches anymore.  Machine screws and nuts more than actual bolts.  Part of it, I guess, is that I never wrench on cars anymore, at least not engines, but I suspect I'd find a lot of allen and torx there too.

Nope. I recently had two newer vehicles go out of warranty, so lots more hands on work being done. No Allen or Torx. Two different car brands, one less than 3 years old, one 5 years old. Lots of Phillips head/10mm bolts. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So your dad gave you his nut jars? He aggy or something? 

Still use plenty of nuts and bolts in plant operations. Allen heads are common on more specialty equipment, but it's nuts and bolts on flanges and most major stuff. I am, however, currently sitting here waiting on maintenance to get a broken Allen bolt out of an extruder barrel so I can get back to R&D at the pilot plant.

I don't do a lot of detailed design, but usually conceive and spec products and then hand off to designers -- what we work on ends up with a shit ton of nuts & bolts (and lock washers, belleville springs, healthy doses of Loctite, etc.).  As mentioned above, a flange connection is a perfect example.  

In most cases the alternative (which you find in shitty consumer products and sometimes in extremely weight-sensitive applications) sucks.  It's just not serviceable in any context of long life.

I work on my '65 Mustang all the time, and its nuts an bolt land all day there.  But, as I resto- mod specific items I find myself going with Allen head bolts for some of those modifications (stainless steel in rust prone areas, and black in visible interior locations).  Looks cleaner to me. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I work on my '65 Mustang all the time, and its nuts an bolt land all day there.  But, as I resto- mod specific items I find myself going with Allen head bolts for some of those modifications (stainless steel in rust prone areas, and black in visible interior locations).  Looks cleaner to me. 

my '76 Bronco is all nuts and bolts, and random screw sizes 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't do a lot of detailed design, but usually conceive and spec products and then hand off to designers -- what we work on ends up with a shit ton of nuts & bolts (and lock washers, belleville springs, healthy doses of Loctite, etc.).  As mentioned above, a flange connection is a perfect example.  

In most cases the alternative (which you find in shitty consumer products and sometimes in extremely weight-sensitive applications) sucks.  It's just not serviceable in any context of long life.

Grade 8 for life!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

You know why?

FWIW, the hobbies board is Pointing Finger Emoji / Backhand Index Pointing Right Emoji, Google stylethat way

okthanksbai

20 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

You know why?

Plastic tubs?  Dammit man, don't you have any coffee cans?

When I was a kid we lived in a house that was built using clutch head screws exclusively. Everyfuckingthing in the house had them. Strip one of those and you are in for a party. Oh, don't misplace the screwdriver because it's gotdam near impossible to find a new one.

clutch.png

3 hours ago, RPM said:

When I was a kid we lived in a house that was built using clutch head screws exclusively. Everyfuckingthing in the house had them. Strip one of those and you are in for a party. Oh, don't misplace the screwdriver because it's gotdam near impossible to find a new one.

clutch.png

I have 3 sizes of clutchhead screwdrivers.  The late 40s through mid 50s GM cars and trucks used lots of those screws.  Like the torx, they are superior to slotted and phillips for not stripping out.

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

they are superior to slotted and phillips for not stripping out.

Speaking from personal experience, nope. But I'm sure they were made using the highest quality material.