Foreign (UK) car rental advice

Heading to Scotland for a coupla weeks in August.  Renting a car to hit various western islands, including a bit of driving from Edinburgh to Lanark to Glasgow.  My question is about car insurance: pretty sure my State Farm policy doesn't cover me in the UK.  I'm renting with my Amex Platinum, which provides secondary coverage (and I know that their coverage does apply in the UK).  But...when my primary coverage is inapplicable, does the Amex coverage functionally become the primary coverage?

If it doesn't....anyone have advice on a good separate rental car insurance for 10 days?  I know I can just check the box when I rent, but that's always expensive as shit, and I hate doing that on principle (I did it when we were in Estonia, but we only rented for 2 days there).

Advice much appreciated.

Also, I'm going to spend some time this summer practicing driving on the left side of the road, so don't freak out if you see me coming right at you on Lamar or Burnet or your friendly neighborhood street.  I'm not drunk, I'm just practicing for Scotland.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Get an automatic transmission.  That’s not a given over there.

This. And driving on the left side isn't bad on the highway, but the things that always threw me off were: (i) driving in the SUPER narrow country roads in the UK and in London neighborhoods; (ii) getting used to gauging distance on how close the opposite side of your car is when passing other cars (it's scary the first couple of times you drive past a fast-moving car on a two lane road going the opposite direction); (iii) remembering that the turn lanes function differently; and (iv) remembering that the fast lane on the highways is reversed.

I'd also try calling Amex travel - they're usually great with this sort of thing.

56 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Get an automatic transmission.  That’s not a given over there.

I did.  I actually enjoy driving a standard when we can (did so in Estonia and Norway), but being that I'd be shifting with my left hand...yeah, I went with an automatic.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Heading to Scotland for a coupla weeks in August.  Renting a car to hit various western islands, including a bit of driving from Edinburgh to Lanark to Glasgow.  My question is about car insurance: pretty sure my State Farm policy doesn't cover me in the UK.  I'm renting with my Amex Platinum, which provides secondary coverage (and I know that their coverage does apply in the UK).  But...when my primary coverage is inapplicable, does the Amex coverage functionally become the primary coverage?

If it doesn't....anyone have advice on a good separate rental car insurance for 10 days?  I know I can just check the box when I rent, but that's always expensive as shit, and I hate doing that on principle (I did it when we were in Estonia, but we only rented for 2 days there).

Advice much appreciated.

Also, I'm going to spend some time this summer practicing driving on the left side of the road, so don't freak out if you see me coming right at you on Lamar or Burnet or your friendly neighborhood street.  I'm not drunk, I'm just practicing for Scotland.

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I can't answer the question. I just know that I use the AmEx platinum and don't worry about it. I've given back several cars with dents. I think I had one at Frankfurt and I just walked away like LOL don't care. But that's not the story I wanted to tell.

I was driving in England and Scotland for a couple weeks. Went to the Macallan distillery. Ran into a guy from, I think, San Marcos, so we start chatting. I finally get around to the big question. "So, did you wreck the car yet?". He said he dented it a bit. I survived without damage but it was blind luck. The point is, those fucking roads are insane, and I think I've driven in all the most insane places, at least in Europe. The drivers aren't insane, just the roads. The hedgerows will be brushing against the side mirror more than once while passing.

Scotland is so damn beautiful. If I go back I need to hit Islay for the distilleries there, I freaking love peated whiskey.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't answer the question. I just know that I use the AmEx platinum and don't worry about it. I've given back several cars with dents. I think I had one at Frankfurt and I just walked away like LOL don't care. But that's not the story I wanted to tell.
I was driving in England and Scotland for a couple weeks. Went to the Macallan distillery. Ran into a guy from, I think, San Marcos, so we start chatting. I finally get around to the big question. "So, did you wreck the car yet?". He said he dented it a bit. I survived without damage but it was blind luck. The point is, those fucking roads are insane, and I think I've driven in all the most insane places, at least in Europe. The drivers aren't insane, just the roads. The hedgerows will be brushing against the side mirror more than once while passing.
Scotland is so damn beautiful. If I go back I need to hit Islay for the distilleries there, I freaking love peated whiskey.

I’m not an Islay man - I prefer the Campbelltown malts, dig me some Oban (we’ll definitely be making that stop).

Your credit card will be the primary insurance there's no need to get anything else.

Watch YouTube videos from americans driving in the UK before you go. Bring a phone mount. I cannot emphasize that enough. If you don't know which exit to take at a roundabout just keep circling til you do. Sometimes your next chance to uturn after taking the wrong exit won't come for miles.

• Hook 'Em 1

My advice? Don’t do it. Trains, Taxis, Uber.

Driving, parking, tolls, fueling, etc are a giant PITA compared to the U.S.

Yeah….we’re going to be tooling around some pretty remote places. Driving is a necessity. We’re doing London and Edinburgh without a car, picking up a car at EDI to head down to Lanark then to Glasgow. We would have waited to rent till Glasgow, but it’s much more convenient to have a car to get to Lanark. Then after Glasgow…we’re going to hit a bunch of small places at our own pace. Get to stop and see and do what we want (lots of Neolithic sites on the road to Oban), then ferries and small villages the rest of the way.
And we don’t do “tour buses” and organized tours, so that’s out. We’ve rented a car in Norway, Finland, and Estonia, and loved doing so. It gives you the ability to do spontaneous, out-of-the-way stuff. Ended up in lots of places where we were the only people around, places that tours don’t go. So, a car it is. If we’re hitting cities and such, we don’t get a car. Trips like this, we do.

Driving on the left with a standard transmission isn't that hard.  My one piece of advice is that some of those roads are really tiny, so just be aware.  If it is your first time driving on the left, I do recommend renting an automatic, thought your rental choices might be limited. Also, try and make sure the thing has a backup camera.  I find that to be the most important piece of equipment in a car in Europe.

I drove around Ireland in late November, so off season-ish, years ago. I busted every hubcap on the narrow roads and ended up owing 400 euros. I don't know about credit card car primary/secondary insurance coverage, but I'd imagine it's worth the extra 15 euros a day, or whatever it is, for the body damage coverage at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Orale said:

I drove around Ireland in late November, so off season-ish, years ago. I busted every hubcap on the narrow roads and ended up owing 400 euros. I don't know about credit card car primary/secondary insurance coverage, but I'd imagine it's worth the extra 15 euros a day, or whatever it is, for the body damage coverage at least.

Ireland is one of those locations that I believe you are not covered in on your credit cards.  I think it is Italy, Ireland, and Jamaica..last I checked.  

You can purchase, not from the rental companies, separate insurance.  I had a tire incident in Ireland myself years ago.  Ireland is a special kind of stupid on some of those small roads.  

Yeah….we’re going to be tooling around some pretty remote places. …,Trips like this, we do.

About to ignore my own advice and rent a car to tour around Sicily. Pray for me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Made it out alive after a week of rental of a manual in 2022.  We commuted twice from Edinburgh to St. Andrews for the Open.  Totally agree that the roundabouts and narrow country roads are the worst part.  At one point I think I had close to a dozen very pissed off Scots stacked up behind me as going 60 on the narrow winding roads in a rainstorm wasn't good enough.  Had to pry my asscheeks off the vinyl after that commute. 

We relied on the CC insurance.  Didn't have issue.

The offered upcharge for an automatic was absurd.  Something like 2X the base rental price.   However, our rental was last minute due to issues with Scotrail during pandemic.

Inspect the wheels good before taking possession of the rental for any scrapes scratches dings etc. As many have said the roads are narrow and it takes some adjusting to driving on the opposite side. It’s common for American drivers to scrape curbs as a result and the rental companies will charge for it as damages.

10 hours ago, TxTower said:

About to ignore my own advice and rent a car to tour around Sicily. Pray for me.

Catania is a bitch to drive in the traffic and hills. You need to be aggressive
Taormina and Palermo aren't bad.

1) Don’t get a larger vehicle than you need. 

From staying in your lane while driving from the wrong side of the car to finding parking can be a bitch. 

2) Get an automatic if you can.

3) Make sure that you have cell service in Europe. Driving without it (these days) is not fun.

4) WATCH YOUR FUCKING SPEED!!

My brother lived in Nottingham a few decades ago while going to grad school, so he rented a car to see England. 

He said that there are cameras on all of the highways that photograph you speeding and then send you a ticket. No talking to a cop, no saying “I didnt see the speed posted.”, just a ticket that the rental company will apply to your credit card, I believe. 

5) SIXT usually has BMWs and are moderately priced (used them pre-COVID in Spain, May 2019.), but that may have changed. 

6) Check your CC to make sure that they insure your rental before renting.

I know that a Citibank CC of mine stopped covering rentals about 5 years ago because “They were responding to what their customers wanted.” 🙄

7) Check to see if your USA auto insurance covers foreign rentals. 

You may need to use one for the deductible and the other for coverage in case of an accident.

That’s all I have for now. 

Minor Brag: I was counting the countries that I have driven in recently and it was:

USA 🇺🇸, Spain 🇪🇸, France 🇫🇷, Ireland 🇮🇪, Northern Ireland 🇬🇧, Argentina 🇦🇷, Uruguay 🇺🇾, Brazil 🇧🇷, El Salvador 🇸🇻, Costa Rica 🇨🇷, and probably Mexico* 🇲🇽

*I can’t recall if I drove a bit on a surf trip 20+ years ago, but I’m fairly sure that I did.

Both sides of the road, 3 continents, and both sides of the equator. 🌎🚗

Catania is a bitch to drive in the traffic and hills. You need to be aggressive
Taormina and Palermo aren't bad.

We go to Catania airport in the morning from Taormina so hopefully won’t have to go thru town. Finding parking in Palermo was ridiculous and you can’t really drive in Taormina - just in the hills around it, which is difficult to say the least.

My one big rental tip is make sure you take photos of your car when you pick it up. That way you have evidence of all preexisting scratches, damage, etc.

On 5/27/2024 at 12:12 AM, gsoda3 said:

If you don't know which exit to take at a roundabout just keep circling til you do. Sometimes your next chance to uturn after taking the wrong exit won't come for miles.

@txduck87 already posted the pic, but here's the video. My first thought, as well.

Agree with above above post about speed cameras. They're everywhere.

I don't know if it's still the same but when I lived in London, drivers were relatively polite. I never had a problem with a roundabout or merging. Now, if you're on a sidewalk or in a market, they'll plow over you just like an American woman with 3 kids racing for the sample station at a Costco.

That old Verve video was not much of an exaggeration.