Tell me about New York City

17 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Need some advice: Wife and I are arriving at EWR at 11pm. Staying right next to Penn Station in NYC—is there any issue with taking the AirTrain that late? Preliminary Google search shows ~30 min trip. Seems fine, but I’ve always taken a cab from JFK/LGA. 

It’s ok, but the area around Penn is pretty rough.  Is there a reason you are staying near there?  I’d stay anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It’s ok, but the area around Penn is pretty rough.  Is there a reason you are staying near there?  I’d stay anywhere else.

Seconded. Avoid staying around Penn Station or really anywhere on 8th between 28th up to 50th. Shit I’d rather stay in Hoboken with that late flight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, went to Le Rock last night before the Diana Ross show at Radio City Music Hall.  Tracee Ellis Ross was there, so that was kind of cool.  Am definitely a fan of Le Rock.  Worth a trip.  They have a really good natural wine list.  We were sticking to cocktails last night, which definitely causes things to be more pricy.  The shishito and calamari skewers are, as always, excellent.  So is the dressed crab.  The break service, the rillette, and the chicken liver mousse were all solid as well.  

Diana Ross was absolutely excellent.  

My suggestion of Samovar was not taken, so we ended up further West (I honestly hate going further west than about 8th as it is a haul for me back home).  But oh well.  A good night for my friend.  I am exhausted today.  :(

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

What’s the breakdown in here of people that live in/around NYC vs. visitors looking for recos, etc.?

FWIW I live down in alphabet city on 6th & A 

I think at least me, Penelope, UpperWestSide and nychorn, and maybe Stunn? There used to be others on the old site. 

It’s a long walk across town for me, but I’ve spent way too much money at A-1 Records, Discovery Wine and Mast Books in your neck of the woods.

12 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

What’s the breakdown in here of people that live in/around NYC vs. visitors looking for recos, etc.?

I live in PA but we are in the city usually once every other month (sometimes sooner, in the summer we tend to avoid entirely) for 3 day theater weekends. Will be there in two weeks, then again in late October, then for Thanksgiving. 

10 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think at least me, Penelope, UpperWestSide and nychorn, and maybe Stunn? There used to be others on the old site. 

It’s a long walk across town for me, but I’ve spent way too much money at A-1 Records, Discovery Wine and Mast Books in your neck of the woods.

Rock on! Glad i found this thread. 

Discovery and A1 are definitely staples. Un/fortunately way easier for me to blow my cash at A1 since it’s about 500 feet from my apartment door. Been a huge help expanding my vinyl collection the last few years!

Edited by NYCHORN2013
Typo

On 9/18/2022 at 1:36 AM, NYCHORN2013 said:

20 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

20 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I live in PA but we are in the city usually once every other month (sometimes sooner, in the summer we tend to avoid entirely) for 3 day theater weekends. Will be there in two weeks, then again in late October, then for Thanksgiving. 

10 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Rock on! Glad i found this thread. 

Discovery and A1 are definitely staples. Un/fortunately way easier for me to blow my cash at A1 since it’s about 500 feet from my apartment door. Been a huge help expanding my vinyl collection the last few years!

Yeah, I think there are a few other people that live in Long Island (next2naus and spankytoes I believe).

I am at 58th and 1st.  

We are heading into my favorite time of year in NYC.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think there are a few other people that live in Long Island (next2naus and spankytoes I believe).
I am at 58th and 1st.  
We are heading into my favorite time of year in NYC.

I live about 10 miles outside of NYC, but haven’t contributed much in recent years to this thread as I’m going in far less than I used to. Mainly because the bus that used to pick up 2 blocks from my house all but stopped running during covid and because I do a lot of outdoors stuff (hiking,biking, camping etc) and I’m more likely to be in the Hudson Valley or Adirondacks than the city on the weekend.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

Anyone have any good autumn recs for Fairfield County burbs (probably Westport)? I have a client thing in October and wanted to make the most of it.

If you’ll have a car, and don’t mind a drive (prob a bit longer than an hour) into NY, people go nuts for Storm King. Outdoor art museum/exhibits with giant sculptures, etc. very instagram-able https://stormking.org  

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any good autumn recs for Fairfield County burbs (probably Westport)? I have a client thing in October and wanted to make the most of it.

Maybe The Blaze Not real close, but in Sleepy Hollow, NY. It’s a giant jackolantern thing and I believe there’s a haunted house nearby headless horseman themed. You can get tickets online, but they sell out early. There will also be lots of kids at the earlier time slots.
  • Hook 'Em 1

@UpperWestside I need to take a client out to dinner in October, and she specifically requested Upper West Side or Harlem (I think she lives in Westchester or something like that). Needs to be nice but not like 2/3 star Michelin nice necessarily. The only suggestion I've gotten is Sushi Ishikawa, but not sure if counter seat is the best option. Do you happen to have any suggestions that come to mind? I'm so out of the loop on uptown happenings. 

I lived in New York for four years after UT, then back to Austin and then back to NYC again and then to LA and then back a third and final time about 6 years ago.

I actually now live in Westport now so the last few questions hit close to home.

As for October activities near Westport, lots of great hiking and outdoor stuff but it’s kinda a weird time for “activities.” It’s a beach and golf and tennis town so summer is really our prime time. You can do plenty of nice scenic leaf-viewing drives, apple picking, and other Autumn stuff. Some great breweries in the area and Litchfield distillery is a fun time.

Now, if you happen to fish / fly fish, it’s a good place to be in October - both stripers on the sound or trout in the rivers.

• Hook 'Em 1

@PenelopeWitherspoon We really enjoyed Studio 151. I wouldn't go though unless you get omikase reservations (we weren't able to). Just wasn't the same, I think. The vibe was great and while I've had better sushi it was very very good. Good cocktails, too. Line at Buvette was too long for brunch (i'm impatient, and just don't do lines..). We ended up at Boucherie just up the street. Very pleased with the back up. Keen's was a classic hit. Thanks again for recs!

Wife and I are heading to NYC late next week -- primary purpose was to go see The Killers at MSG Friday night.  But we're making a weekend of it.  Sat and Sun we're doing matinees of Hamilton and Book of Mormon.  We're staying at the Arlo Midtown on 38th (walking distance to MSG).

Thurs night when we get in, dinner at Aquavit, the full tasting menu. 

Fri night is The Killers, we're going to grab a couple of slices of pizza from somewhere between the hotel and the show, look to be plenty of good options.  During the day, thinking we hit MOMA.

Saturday brunch at Red Rooster, then Book of Mormon.  No plan for dinner that night yet.  I thought I had done some sort of reservation, but I guess not.  Oops.  Well, check that....we had wanted to hit a Jose Andres restaurant (mostly to put some money in his pocket for all the good he does with World Central Kitchen), so I grabbed us a table at Spanish Diner.

Sunday Hamilton matinee (was thinking maybe even sleep in, lazy brunch at our hotel or nearby, nothing fancy).  Dinner that night at Salumeria Rosi.

Any thoughts, critiques, etc.?

On 9/18/2022 at 1:36 AM, NYCHORN2013 said:

I lived in Brooklyn (Fort Greene) for four years and have traveled to FiDi for work at least once a month for ~20 years…

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

@UpperWestside I need to take a client out to dinner in October, and she specifically requested Upper West Side or Harlem (I think she lives in Westchester or something like that). Needs to be nice but not like 2/3 star Michelin nice necessarily. The only suggestion I've gotten is Sushi Ishikawa, but not sure if counter seat is the best option. Do you happen to have any suggestions that come to mind? I'm so out of the loop on uptown happenings. 

Not an expert on Harlem by any means, but been to Red Roosted a couple years ago and it was great (good call @Brisketexan)

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wife and I are heading to NYC late next week -- primary purpose was to go see The Killers at MSG Friday night.  But we're making a weekend of it.  Sat and Sun we're doing matinees of Hamilton and Book of Mormon.  We're staying at the Arlo Midtown on 38th (walking distance to MSG).

Fri night is The Killers, we're going to grab a couple of slices of pizza from somewhere between the hotel and the show, look to be plenty of good options.  During the day, thinking we hit MOMA.

Saturday brunch at Red Rooster, then Book of Mormon.  No plan for dinner that night yet.  I thought I had done some sort of reservation, but I guess not.  Oops.  Well, check that....we had wanted to hit a Jose Andres restaurant (mostly to put some money in his pocket for all the good he does with World Central Kitchen), so I grabbed us a table at Spanish Diner.

Sunday Hamilton matinee (was thinking maybe even sleep in, lazy brunch at our hotel or nearby, nothing fancy).  Dinner that night at Salumeria Rosi.

We’ll be in town and might see you around (haha). Seeing 4 shows (Funny Girl, Into the Woods, Death of a Salesman, and th very last performance of Come From Away). 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Glad that you are missing the UN.  It has been a shit show.  Yesterday was especially egregious given Biden was in town.  I hate UN weeks.

Spanish Diner is ok.  I have yet to go to his new place Zaytinya.  

Red Rooster is a good call.  I went once and really enjoyed it.  

18 hours ago, Ignatius said:

This times a billion.

I am super excited for the rain today.  I just printed off a 101 page contract.  I am going to go sit on my couch, look out the windows, and try not to fall asleep while I read this thing so I can watch the rain.  High of 62 tomorrow, low of 49!  YAY!

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Glad that you are missing the UN.  It has been a shit show.  Yesterday was especially egregious given Biden was in town.  I hate UN weeks.

Spanish Diner is ok.  I have yet to go to his new place Zaytinya.  

Red Rooster is a good call.  I went once and really enjoyed it.  

I am super excited for the rain today.  I just printed off a 101 page contract.  I am going to go sit on my couch, look out the windows, and try not to fall asleep while I read this thing so I can watch the rain.  High of 62 tomorrow, low of 49!  YAY!

Yeah, figured one of our dinners should just be a low-key casual affair, thus Spanish Diner.  Also, Zaytinya is impossible to get a good reservation time, so there's that.

And yeah....looking forward to walking around in cooler weather.  Gonna be 102 here today.  FML.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, figured one of our dinners should just be a low-key casual affair, thus Spanish Diner.  Also, Zaytinya is impossible to get a good reservation time, so there's that.

And yeah....looking forward to walking around in cooler weather.  Gonna be 102 here today.  FML.

I am so glad I am not in Texas anymore for a myriad of reasons, the weather being a big one.  Autumn and Spring in New York are glorious.  I don't even hate the rain most days.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:54 AM, lemonlime said:

Maybe The Blaze Not real close, but in Sleepy Hollow, NY. It’s a giant jackolantern thing and I believe there’s a haunted house nearby headless horseman themed. You can get tickets online, but they sell out early. There will also be lots of kids at the earlier time slots.

Great idea. I’ve always wanted to check out that area. Many thanks

On 9/21/2022 at 1:31 PM, ohchaucer said:

I lived in New York for four years after UT, then back to Austin and then back to NYC again and then to LA and then back a third and final time about 6 years ago.

I actually now live in Westport now so the last few questions hit close to home.

As for October activities near Westport, lots of great hiking and outdoor stuff but it’s kinda a weird time for “activities.” It’s a beach and golf and tennis town so summer is really our prime time. You can do plenty of nice scenic leaf-viewing drives, apple picking, and other Autumn stuff. Some great breweries in the area and Litchfield distillery is a fun time.

Now, if you happen to fish / fly fish, it’s a good place to be in October - both stripers on the sound or trout in the rivers.

Thank you, great info. Are you enjoying it there? We’re actually considering Westport a bit down the line if we end up leaving Austin.

We love Westport. It’s kinda a big playground for grownups and an easy laid back family town. Great beaches and boating, the town tennis and golf and other facilities, leagues, etc are top notch. It’s also got a strong local vibe versus some burbs where it’s all just a pit stop in between commutes to the city.

Has a great arts and cultural community (lots of ex Broadway and arts folks live here) versus the money and snobby feeling that is pretty strong in a lot of coastal CT. And the schools are about the best in the state and that is saying something in CT.

The only issue is it’s about as far a commute as you would want to have to NYC. I go in 2-3 days a week and it’s about an hour and half door to door. Used to be quicker when I worked right by Grand Central.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, Underdog said:

Live up in the Cap District, let’s all crash at Penelope’s place. 

LOL.  I have air mattresses.  Sorry, but I only have a 1 bdrm as more space would allow me to accumulate more stuff.  Speaking of stuff, I need to get rid of some.

It is a glorious 68 degrees today.  I have had the windows open since yesterday AM.  It will rain tomorrow, but the glorious temps looks to be here for the rest of the week, which is fantastic!  

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, Underdog said:

Live up in the Cap District, let’s all crash at Penelope’s place. 

Also, I would happily open up my place for a Surly get together.  I need to rotate out some wine and booze, and I have a good space.  If anyone is game, let me know.  

@The Ace of Aces is already well aware that I am also hosting for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in my office (it is on 6th Ave with the perfect perspective), but if others are in town and want to experience it, just PM me.  I will get you access. You just have to bring Champers and a breakfast dish (and show up at 7:30 LOL).

Also, another consideration, a get togehter at mine...Harvey would be excited. He loves people.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Also, I would happily open up my place for a Surly get together.  I need to rotate out some wine and booze, and I have a good space.  If anyone is game, let me know.  

@The Ace of Aces is already well aware that I am also hosting for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in my office (it is on 6th Ave with the perfect perspective), but if others are in town and want to experience it, just PM me.  I will get you access. You just have to bring Champers and a breakfast dish (and show up at 7:30 LOL).

I’m so excited. Would love to meet any other Surlyites 

• Hook 'Em 1

Quick impromptu trip with wife.

Going to a concert at Forest Hills Stadium next Saturday night.  Anybody have recs for early dinner in Queens near a Metro station?  Looking for nicer, date night - but not out of place in concert clothes.  Bar with good food would also work especially for pre concert drinks.