Any thoughts on these colleges?

Any one with experience with Colorado State? 

Oldest Callo daughter is waiting to hear from UT.  She's been accepted to aggy, Texas State, UNT, and Colorado State.  Believes College Station is in the middle of nowhere and that she'd have to wear cowboy boots, so it's pretty low in her rankings.  Leaning towards UNT if not UT.  Some health type major but doesn't want to go to med school (really not sure what she wants to do, but had to choose something).      

The boy is in grad school at CSU. Fort Collins is the quaint college town Austin thinks it is or once was. I guess this is true everywhere now, but the university has endless communication and support for students and parents. UT in the 80s, you're on your on kid. Mind you don't flunk out of one of our 500 person weed out classes.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

The boy continues to have the decisions roll in.  This weekend he got into UW and RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).  Unfortunately at UW he was accepted just into the general academic program, not the engineering school, so unless he has some assurance he would be admitted, which I'm not sure he can get, may have to pass.  RPI is interesting.  I've learned a lot more about it since he applied (knew very little before).  Very STEM focused.  Students get GREAT placement out of there, which really is the end game anyway, isn't it?  And the bonus is he got awarded a $30K/yr merit scholarship, which is nice.  So curious if anyone has first hand experience with RPI?

So far he's in to:

- Northeastern

- UW

- Maryland ($15k/yr schollie)

- RPI

Still awaiting a ton: UC's, Michigan, BU and a few reaches: Duke, Rice, and Stanford.  He did get an interview with Stanford, so at least he made that initial cut. 

Only one rejection.

Spoiler

UT Austin School of Engineering.

spacer.png

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

My dad went to RPI many moons ago... it's considered a top engineering/computer science school. It's considered very rigorous and tough. I don't know that they have moved on to the college as a profit business that most colleges have. They don't play the rankings game so don't use their ranking numbers to compare against others.

48 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

All RPI grads I've worked with have been top notch. My reference points are the semiconductor and software industries- seems to be a darn good school.

I've worked with two different people (1 male, 1 female) across two organizations and both represented RPI very well. Super smart and succesful people. Anecdotal and small sample size, fwiw.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

All RPI grads I've worked with have been top notch. My reference points are the semiconductor and software industries- seems to be a darn good school.

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

I've worked with two different people (1 male, 1 female) across two organizations and both represented RPI very well. Super smart and succesful people. Anecdotal and small sample size, fwiw.

My BIL said the same thing.  2 people he's worked with were both super smart and did very well.  Computer science is their wheelhouse, but good engineering as well.  

Kid got into TX , u Washington so far. Engineering. Waitlisted at Georgia tech . Waiting on duke Michigan and Stanford . I’m a longhorn grad and we live in tx , but spent early years living in San Juan islands , north of Seattle .

Curious if any west coasters can tell me why UW would be the better play than Tx. Freaking gorgeous campus but cost difference is quite large. Doesn’t know where he wants to live after school if that matters .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

The boy continues to have the decisions roll in.  This weekend he got into UW and RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).  Unfortunately at UW he was accepted just into the general academic program, not the engineering school, so unless he has some assurance he would be admitted, which I'm not sure he can get, may have to pass.  RPI is interesting.  I've learned a lot more about it since he applied (knew very little before).  Very STEM focused.  Students get GREAT placement out of there, which really is the end game anyway, isn't it?  And the bonus is he got awarded a $30K/yr merit scholarship, which is nice.  So curious if anyone has first hand experience with RPI?
So far he's in to:
- Northeastern
- UW
- RPI
Still awaiting a ton: UC's, Michigan, BU and a few reaches: Duke, Rice, and Stanford.  He did get an interview with Stanford, so at least he made that initial cut. 
Only one rejection.
Spoiler

animal-house-dean-wormer.gif

Dad went to northeastern . Probably best co-op program in the country . All those kids get jobs but definitely plan on living in the northeast to start career . Not sure how much that matters to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Dad went to northeastern . Probably best co-op program in the country . All those kids get jobs but definitely plan on living in the northeast to start career . Not sure how much that matters to him.

Yeah, I have a good buddy whose kid is there and is doing his second co-op with Boston Consulting.  So he's a shoe-in for a job there.  Something like 70% of kids get job offers from their co-op company, and 95% have jobs 6 months after college.  Meanwhile I fucked off, went to Europe for a few months, and came back and was like "ok, I guess I have to go get a job."  

I think him going/moving to the northeast is going to be much harder on his mother than on him.  If we have our 2 kids planting themselves on opposite coasts, that'll suck.  

15 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Kid got into TX , u Washington so far. Engineering. Waitlisted at Georgia tech . Waiting on duke Michigan and Stanford . I’m a longhorn grad and we live in tx , but spent early years living in San Juan islands , north of Seattle .

Curious if any west coasters can tell me why UW would be the better play than Tx. Freaking gorgeous campus but cost difference is quite large. Doesn’t know where he wants to live after school if that matters .

Well, it wouldn't, except for the fact that he got denied at Texas.  Whatever.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, Sbbruin said:

Yikes.  Food for thought for sure.

My kid is going to Colorado Mines next year. It has a similar male to female ratio. However, a good chunk of the boys just hang out in their rooms and play video games. If you subtract them, it becomes a pretty even 50:50 ratio. Assuming your son has even a little game, he will do just fine. 

He also looked at RPI and really liked it, but the location in Golden was too attractive to pass up. Has your son considered Mines?

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, txduck87 said:

We looked at UT and UW a bit. However, both schools were larger than my son wanted. Look into it, but if I recall at UT your options to swap engineering majors were pretty limited if you decided to change. UW (assuming you are admitted into Engineering) was much more open to changing majors. Unless it is Computer Engineering-that requires direct admission. If he is a little undecided as to exactly what type of engineering he likes, UW may offer more flexibility. 

17 minutes ago, topochico said:

My kid is going to Colorado Mines next year. It has a similar male to female ratio. However, a good chunk of the boys just hang out in their rooms and play video games. If you subtract them, it becomes a pretty even 50:50 ratio. Assuming your son has even a little game, he will do just fine. 

He also looked at RPI and really liked it, but the location in Golden was too attractive to pass up. Has your son considered Mines?

He has not, and the ship has sailed on apps.  But he's got choices right now.  Just hoping to add to them.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, Sbbruin said:

So far he's in to:

- Northeastern

- UW

- RPI

Only one rejection.

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

First hand with RPI, no.  But I know a guy that went there, from D-FW.

It's a place where people really geek out.  It's a fun place but a bit insular because it's kind of in the middle of nowhere.  Because there isn't a ton to do, people tend to get involved in "technical" extracurriculars, like robotics competitions and whatnot.  Which is actually good for the career.  They party pretty hard, but in a sort of geeky, male-dominated way, or they used to be that way.

The guy I know is no more of a geek than any other guy with an engineering degree.  He'd fit in pretty well here. Went nuclear navy after school.  But when he was in school, he was a tool and that seems to be the usual thing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

24 minutes ago, topochico said:

at UT your options to swap engineering majors were pretty limited if you decided to change.

That's really kind of a shame.  The first year or two of curriculum is largely interchangeable between the various _E's. But, as it has been for a long time,  ECE is a wildly popular major.  But it really isn't for everyone.  Some found a more comfortable home in another engineering, but most GTFO of engineering entirely, as they probably should have.  Through the 80s and 90s, engineering attrition was 2/3, and ECE probably a good bit higher and skewing the stats.

So, that popularity means that ECE is ultra-selective and all Cockrell majors I think require "direct admission."  I hope their selection manages to get those who are content in engineering because it is a fucking grind and it is not for a great lot of the people that think they want to be engineers, especially of the electrical/computer variety.  You'd think that the rigor of today's high schools, with all the AP courses in higher math and science might better prepare, but I found that to be a weak correlation (lots of kids with 4s and 5s on Calculus, Physics, Chemistry that flailed in engineering and hated the fuck out of it), and the relentless STEMming probably continues to steer too many kids without the interest or real aptitude into the programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, it wouldn't, except for the fact that he got denied at Texas.  Whatever.
those-guys-are-fags-interview.gif

So would your kid have chosen Texas over Washington if got into both? Mine was fortunate to get into both and we are trying to determine if it’s worth it to go out of $$state . Both great programs . He has no idea where he wants to live after school. T

3 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

So would your kid have chosen Texas over Washington if got into both? Mine was fortunate to get into both and we are trying to determine if it’s worth it to go out of $$state . Both great programs . He has no idea where he wants to live after school. T

Yes.  But Texas School of Engineering is brutal to get into, at least for out-of-staters.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:21 PM, Baboontyme said:

UW = Wiscy or Washington? I always assume Wisconsin but I'm in B1G territory and I know you're out west. 

College aged me would attend either no hesitation. Both badass campuses in badass towns/cities. 

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You'd think that the rigor of today's high schools, with all the AP courses in higher math and science might better prepare, but I found that to be a weak correlation (lots of kids with 4s and 5s on Calculus, Physics, Chemistry that flailed in engineering and hated the fuck out of it), and the relentless STEMming probably continues to steer too many kids without the interest or real aptitude into the programs.

Just my opinion here ... but I think that today's kids are being rammed through a shallow education too fast, with no time for deep understanding.  It looks advanced but it's really just a speed run through school.

Take calculus, for example.   It used to be a nice capstone to your high school education, maybe a preview of your freshman year.   Then, it wasn't enough to take calculus your senior year, you had to take AP Calc.  Then, hey, let's split it into AB and BC.  Of course, your talented kid needs to take BC right?  AB must suck, it's like one less letter.

Some folks said, hey, not good enough, my kid needs to take it as a junior.  That way their kid can get a 5, so that they can put that 5 on their college apps, so that they can get into a good school where ... upon arrival ... the parents will find that their burnt out kid needs only 2.5 more years of upper division classes to graduate.

However ... the kid never really learned mathematics but just skimmed over the top of it and learned the material for the test.  Everyone needs to chill out and slow down, take the time to learn something really well, figure out their passion.

Last weekend, I was touring a college campus with my high school senior.  The tour guide was an Industrial Engineering major.  He said that he hated a LOT of his engineering classes, but that was great because it was helping him narrow down his interests.  He said he loved a few of them, and that had taken him in a particular direction, and that was what he was going to do after school.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Need some surly help. Boy and I taking official visit next Friday-Sunday . I really need/want him to go to Tx. He’s been accepted to engineering program but also in at Washington , Georgia Tech. Waiting on Duke, Michigan and Stanford but those might be long shots .

Anyway, I’m a Tx Ex. See name. But, I’m an old now. Think Abel’s , 606 , Hyde’s type old….Where can I take him for 48 hours in Austin to help make him pick austin? Where do the coeds hang out these days? (really, this is just for him:).

Zilker park disc golf is on the agenda . Boy likes chicks , sports and food.

We are staying out by lake Travis but have full day of orientation type stuff Friday. He’s grown up loving the horns ( really believes me when I tell him we used to be good in football) but these other schools are appealing to him as well.

Where to go for 48 hours of “this is my place dad”?

Massive tuition difference is on the line here so any suggestions are greatly appreciated .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Need some surly help. Boy and I taking official visit next Friday-Sunday . I really need/want him to go to Tx. He’s been accepted to engineering program but also in at Washington , Georgia Tech. Waiting on Duke, Michigan and Stanford but those might be long shots .

Anyway, I’m a Tx Ex. See name. But, I’m an old now. Think Abel’s , 606 , Hyde’s type old….Where can I take him for 48 hours in Austin to help make him pick austin? Where do the coeds hang out these days? (really, this is just for him:).

We are staying out by lake Travis but have full day of orientation type stuff Friday. He’s grown up loving the horns ( really believes me when I tell him we used to be good in football) but these other schools are appealing to him as well.

Massive tuition difference is on the line here so any suggestions are greatly appreciated emoji16.png.

Unless he's just really wanting to go out of state and he's already been accepted into UT Engineering; seems like a slam dunk.  I'd be hoping for GaTech if not UT, but that's just another guy's opinion.

Hope thing goes your way, Pops.

If he likes chicks, you can cross off GA Tech.  Where y'all coming from so I can recommend some shit he doesn't get to see at home (besides campus)? 

10 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Massive tuition difference is on the line here so any suggestions are greatly appreciated emoji16.png.

When around Zilker, make sure he gets to see Barton Springs and the beauties running along the Town Lake hike and bike trail.  Friday and/or Saturday night, catch some live music.  I don't know of any UT sports as the baseball team plays away at OUSucks.  Austin FC is also playing away.  Maybe locate a place with a good vibe to watch one of the baseball games - there is probably somewhere on or near campus (Posse East or Crown & Anchor come to mind immediately).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

When around Zilker, make sure he gets to see Barton Springs and the beauties running along the Town Lake hike and bike trail.  Friday and/or Saturday night, catch some live music.  I don't know of any UT sports as the baseball team plays away at OUSucks.  Austin FC is also playing away.  Maybe locate a place with a good vibe to watch one of the baseball games - there is probably somewhere on or near campus (Posse East or Crown & Anchor come to mind immediately).

If it's a sunny, warm day, try the sunbathers on the South Mall.  The Kappa house is right there.

For an engineer, if he stays an engineer (this is always a question), GT is hard to resist.  Other than that, I think only Stanford holds a marked advantage over Cockrell.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 3/9/2022 at 1:13 AM, Texas Jeff said:

Just my opinion here ... but I think that today's kids are being rammed through a shallow education too fast, with no time for deep understanding.  It looks advanced but it's really just a speed run through school.

Take calculus, for example.   It used to be a nice capstone to your high school education, maybe a preview of your freshman year.   Then, it wasn't enough to take calculus your senior year, you had to take AP Calc.  Then, hey, let's split it into AB and BC.  Of course, your talented kid needs to take BC right?  AB must suck, it's like one less letter.

Some folks said, hey, not good enough, my kid needs to take it as a junior.  That way their kid can get a 5, so that they can put that 5 on their college apps, so that they can get into a good school where ... upon arrival ... the parents will find that their burnt out kid needs only 2.5 more years of upper division classes to graduate.

However ... the kid never really learned mathematics but just skimmed over the top of it and learned the material for the test.  Everyone needs to chill out and slow down, take the time to learn something really well, figure out their passion.

Last weekend, I was touring a college campus with my high school senior.  The tour guide was an Industrial Engineering major.  He said that he hated a LOT of his engineering classes, but that was great because it was helping him narrow down his interests.  He said he loved a few of them, and that had taken him in a particular direction, and that was what he was going to do after school.

The problem I see correlating adept high school science and math students with engineering is that they have learned to work the problems well, but, as you note, don't necessarily have any real understanding or feel for what the math is modeling and what the physics explains.  And, as engineering can be described as "applied math and applied science," it's the understanding of, and interest in, the applications that makes engineering "come alive" for students, or not.

One of the great serendipities of my career at UT was that I took calculus in high school.  Only AP was offered.  You could take the AB or BC exam as you wished and as the teacher recommended.  I took AB and I didn't study because I am fundamentally lazy (a desirable quality in engineers), and I had no intention of using the AP exam to place out of anything.

So, I managed to get into the honors section at UT, which got me Wm. T. Guy for 808A and B.  Dr. Guy's undergraduate degree was in ME, which is probably kind of unusual for a mathematics professor.  But he took some pains to relate the calculus to some real world situations, probably unlike most profs at UT.  And that, that made all the difference.  Physics was a different story, except for having Austin Gleeson for 303L, the 303K professor taught in a very academic fashion and was way ahead of most of the students.

I will say that it is my observation that EE students can get away with being adept problem workers a bit more easily sometimes than other engineerings, due to its abstract nature (you generally can't see wtf is going on with most electrical things, so you just have to trust the math).

Edited by TwiceHorn

If he likes chicks, you can cross off GA Tech.  Where y'all coming from so I can recommend some shit he doesn't get to see at home (besides campus)? 

The woodlands . Ive heard alot of Georgia southern girls head up to Georgia tech to scope out future husbands . But yes, when we visited there it was a severe lack of talent .

Maybe he just wants to get out of Texas and as far away from the parents as possible.

Yeah. His brother went away to DC for college and romanticizes it. This one is more of a home guy and think it might actually help him stay at what I think is the best overall place for him.

All great suggestions . Sounds a lot like what I did back in the mid 80s. Jester beach freshman year. Good times

21 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

What's the deal with these kids that come on the news saying that they have been accepted at 40+ colleges?  Are they really spending $3-$4k on application fees?  And god knows how many hours.  All to have a brag.  

Such a Look At Me for the parents and the kids.

/oldmanrantover

Usually they can run a 4.4 at 200+ pounds. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

What's the deal with these kids that come on the news saying that they have been accepted at 40+ colleges?  Are they really spending $3-$4k on application fees?  And god knows how many hours.  All to have a brag.  

Such a Look At Me for the parents and the kids.

/oldmanrantover

I love colleges/university life and when I was a junior in high school I applied to all that had free apps. Getting in at somewhere like New Mexico, Southern Mississippi, or Alabama didn't even require an essay iirc.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, txduck87 said:

let him go with some kids his same age, you just show up at dinner time 

Take him to the financial aid office and explain how much he'll need to payoff at UT vs going to other schools so the bar is not UT vs Washington etc but UT vs Washington + 120k.  Then show him how long paying off the 120k "extra" takes.

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Take him to the financial aid office and explain how much he'll need to payoff at UT vs going to other schools so the bar is not UT vs Washington etc but UT vs Washington + 120k.  Then show him how long paying off the 120k "extra" takes.

ive worked all over the US west in energy, never once have I ran into a U Dub engineer 

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ive worked all over the US west in energy, never once have I ran into a U Dub engineer 

who built the dams then?  Canucks?

If your kid has any people skills at all / has proven he can talk with females, stick in engineering long enough to pick up the technical stuff then jump to sales / business side as quick as possible