2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Does AJ Reed have any value at all on the market? Dude continues to perform at AAA, but his few stints in the show have been underwhelming. 

Dude seems his ceiling may be going in to the Fresno hall of fame... but man, what a helluva season he’s having down there this year
In 103 games, 24 HRs, 95 RBIs (including 1 HR and 5 RBIs tonight.)
Next closest in RBIs in AAA has 82.

Also Ted with another HR ( and a double tonight) as part of a 4 for 6 outing

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Britton just gave up a 2 run bomb in the 10th, too.

People keep searching for any kind of evidence that he will return to something like his 2015-2016 self, but the guy just isn't that great anymore. I'm happy having Pressly instead. 

• Like 1

Just want to give yall a heads up on a walk off win in case any of you want to be there an enjoy it.  

5 of the last 6 home games I have been to have been walk off wins.....with the last 4 being walk offs.  I will be attending Saturday night. 

Be prepared.  

19 hours ago, Foosters said:

Does AJ Reed have any value at all on the market? Dude continues to perform at AAA, but his few stints in the show have been underwhelming. 

I’d say 2016 was underwhelming. But he’s literally only appeared in 3 MLB games the last 2 seasons-it’s impossible to evaluate him.

Of course, the fact that the organization hasn’t seen fit to give him another extended look could be part of the answer to the question. I know they didn’t like his work ethic in the past. But maybe they feel they’ve seen enough already.

Kaplan on options to fill in for LMJ:

The Astros hope to have Lance McCullers Jr. back in September from the muscle strain in his right forearm, but they need an arm to help get them there.

Three upcoming off days will allow Houston to start Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Charlie Morton and Dallas Keuchel on regular, four days’ rest or more through Aug. 20, but the defending World Series champions will need a fifth starter for their Aug. 21 game against the Mariners at the latest. (They could opt to insert one even sooner in an effort to keep the aforementioned four as fresh as possible for October.)

Their options are several, including a few pitchers who would be making their major league debut if promoted from the minors. The Astros’ 40-man roster currently has two open spots, so the team can select the contract of a non-roster player from Class AAA or Class AA without the risk of losing an already rostered player.

Let’s take a closer look at the candidates to fill in for McCullers while he rehabs his injury, beginning with those already on the Astros’ active roster.

Collin McHugh

As soon as McCullers pointed to his forearm while exiting Saturday night’s game at Dodger Stadium, many assumed McHugh would be his replacement in the rotation. If this were March, April or June, he all but certainly would be.

But McHugh has become arguably the Astros’ best reliever as a troubleshooter for Hinch in medium- and high-leverage situations. He is a lock to make their postseason bullpen. Stretching him out as a starter in August after his arm has been conditioned to relief would qualify as an odd strategy considering he will not start in the playoffs.

In 54 innings over 39 relief appearances, McHugh has a 1.00 ERA and a 2.47 FIP with 11.7 strikeouts per nine against 2.2 walks. A couple of three-inning stints signify his longest outings of the season, and the 31-year-old right-hander hasn’t been asked to do even that since July 4.

Brad Peacock

Like McHugh, Peacock has spent the entire season working as a reliever, though he has a less prominent role in the Astros’ bullpen. His arm, which Hinch has described in the past as “resilient,” could probably be stretched out to three or four innings relatively quickly.

But because Peacock also won’t start in October, it probably makes more sense for the Astros to keep him in the role in which he will vie for a postseason roster spot. The 30-year-old right-hander is a weapon against right-handed hitters (.504 OPS against).

Overall, Peacock has a 2.96 ERA and a 3.54 FIP with 12.9 strikeouts per nine against 2.2 walks in 48 2/3 innings over 45 appearances this season.

Cionel Perez

Though currently a seldom-used member of the Astros’ bullpen, the 22-year-old Perez spent most of the season starting in Class AA and had a lot of success (1.98 ERA in 68 1/3 innings). The team still believes the Cuban left-hander could be a starter longterm but appears to have already decided he will spend the rest of this year as a reliever considering his last demotion sent him to the Class AAA bullpen.

If not chosen to temporarily move into the rotation, Perez could be the 25-man roster casualty for whichever pitcher is selected because he has minor league options.

Bob Levey/Getty Images
Trent Thornton

Thornton, currently a starter in Class AAA, is not on the 40-man roster but will be eligible to be picked in December’s Rule 5 Draft if not selected to it between now and the November protection deadline. The 24-year-old right-hander has pitched well this season (3.82 ERA in 106 innings) in his second go-around through the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League.

One could argue Thornton is the safest option of the Astros’ Class AAA starters. Though he doesn’t have gaudy strikeout numbers (8.7 per nine), he doesn’t walk many batters (2.0 per nine) and has completed six innings in 12 of his 20 starts this year.

Houston’s fifth-round draft pick from 2015 throws his fastball in the low-to-mid 90s and complements it with a cutter, a slider, a curveball and a changeup.

Josh James

James went unselected in last year’s Rule 5 Draft but surely wouldn’t this December if the Astros don’t protect him. A breakout season in Class AA and Class AAA has transformed the 25-year-old right-hander from a relatively unknown former 34th-round draft pick from Western Oklahoma State to a legitimate prospect.

James, likely a reliever down the road because of inconsistent command, leads all qualified minor leaguers in strikeouts per nine innings (14.0) behind a mid-to-upper 90s fastball that has touched 100, as well as a slider and a changeup. He experienced a dramatic velocity increase that he attributes to addressing his sleep apnea, as detailed here.

Since his May promotion to Class AAA, James has a 3.38 ERA and .546 OPS against in 77 1/3 innings. He’s registered 13.5 strikeouts per nine against 3.7 walks per nine in the PCL.

Brady Rodgers

Rodgers, who is already on the 40-man roster, only recently returned to the Class AAA rotation after rehabbing from the Tommy John surgery he underwent in May 2017.

The Astros’ third-round pick in the franchise-altering Carlos Correa-McCullers draft of 2012, Rodgers pitched well in his last two starts for Fresno but has a 6.52 ERA in 19 1/3 innings in his four starts overall. Considering he missed a year-plus, the Astros would probably prefer to have the 27-year-old right-hander finish the minor league season in Class AAA before a potential September call-up to pitch in long relief.

Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Rogelio Armenteros

This time last season, and even as recently as spring training, Armenteros seemed certain to pitch for the Astros in 2018. While no longer a sure bet, the 24-year-old Cuban right-hander has produced another good year despite a poor beginning to the season.

Armenteros, who probably best projects longterm as a multi-inning reliever, has a 3.66 ERA in 96 innings in his first full season in Class AAA. His best pitch is his changeup — his deceptive delivery lends itself to Chris Devenski comparisons — and in addition to his 90-93 mph fastball he also throws a slider and a curveball.

Like Thornton, James and Framber Valdez (see below), Armenteros would be exposed to selection in December’s Rule 5 Draft if not added to the roster before then.

Framber Valdez

Valdez made this list only because Astros president of baseball operations Jeff Luhnow mentioned him as a possibility Sunday on his weekly pre-game spot with the team’s radio broadcasters.

However, it seems unlikely the Astros would choose Valdez, who is in Class AA, over one of their Class AAA options. With Corpus Christi this season, the 24-year-old Dominican left-hander has a 4.10 ERA but 11.4 strikeouts per nine and 2.8 walks in 94 1/3 innings.

If they don't want to move McHugh or Peacock out of their roles, I would start Perez and hope to get 4 innings out of him.  Then turn it over to the bullpen assuming it's fairly rested going in to the game.

Edited by kevwun

I don't think Cionel is ready for that kind of role.  His slider/power curve is dynamite but major league hitters will just lay off it and wait for the fastball which he seems to struggle to command at times.  With the additions to the pen they should be fine moving Peacock or McHugh into a starting role.  Josh James may get another chance next season in Fresno to see if he can develop more into a legit starting prospect but I would really like to see what he can do out of the pen this fall.  The few times I've watched him pitch it's been 70/30 fastball/slider with the change acting as little more than a show-me pitch.  His fastball really is electric though, nearly unhittable when he's able to place it around the upper edge of the zone.

Edited by Fozzz

el leon figures to be a reliever outta the pen, IMO. An arm that electric can be useful in spots here and there, not sure how effective it would be over the course of multiple times through the lineup. I wouldnt mess with peacock or colin, let them continue to work outta the pen and set their routine as we get closer to the finish line. they'll be way more valuable there than a spot starter once or twice. 

I would go Thornton or my man, rog dog - you need strikes and someone who can get you into the 5th inning getting outs this time of the year. if Brady hadn't gotten injured I think he would have been the best bet.  

11 hours ago, Scraps said:

Just want to give yall a heads up on a walk off win in case any of you want to be there an enjoy it.  

5 of the last 6 home games I have been to have been walk off wins.....with the last 4 being walk offs.  I will be attending Saturday night. 

Be prepared.  

That's good news for me, but let's end it in 10 or 11, I got places to be.

• Like 1

Not worried about the A’s.

Guessing some of you are the same that were predicting doom and gloom after the last homestand when the Mariners were nipping at our heels and certain to overtake take us by the time we returned to Houston after trips to Seattle and LA.

The A’s have played .750 ball since June 15.
SEVEN FIFTY!
Oh, and they are still 5 games behind us.

I’ll give them credit. They’ve gotten a lot better over the last month, but I’m still willing to bet they are much closer to the team that played 2 games under .500 for the first 70 games of the season than the one that’s played .750 over the last 45 games.

I’m a lifelong Astro’s fan and read this thread daily but rarely reply, and this is my first since surlyhorns came into being.   I haven’t ever been on a true road trip with team aside from Arlington  and I don’t really count that.  This year I made up my mind to do it and the family decided on San Francisco  . Man what a venue - - and what turned out to be even greater games.   Most of all, the kinsman ship with other Astro’s fans   Wearing gear around the city, I ran into people and it was like you knew them all your life   At the very leat you got a “Go Stros”and a fist bump.    If you guys ever get the chance to hit the road with team, gear up and do it   You won’t regret it!

• Like 6

Not worried about the A’s.

Guessing some of you are the same that were predicting doom and gloom after the last homestand when the Mariners were nipping at our heels and certain to overtake take us by the time we returned to Houston after trips to Seattle and LA.

The A’s have played .750 ball since June 15.
SEVEN FIFTY!
Oh, and they are still 5 games behind us.

I’ll give them credit. They’ve gotten a lot better over the last month, but I’m still willing to bet they are much closer to the team that played 2 games under .500 for the first 70 games of the season than the one that’s played .750 over the last 45 games.

Nice try attempting to justify a very stupid post.

For any of you memorabilia dorks like myself....

This weekend there is a big show at GRB.  This one is bigger than Tristar as far as Stros in attendance.  Most of the squad will be there on Saturday.  

Davis, White, Springer, Altuve, Stassi, Correa, Bregman, Kemp, Gattis, Gurriel, Devo, Harris, McHugh, Peacock, Pressly, Rondon, Beltran, Cole.  

http://www.gtsportsmarketing.com/index.php/ps-180810_houston/

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

The A's have a legit offense unlike Seattle.  They shouldn't catch us, but it wouldn't shock me if they made it very close up until the last weekend of the season.  

And they have a solid bullpen pitching in the 7-8-9 innings