2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

So Davis is going to get sent down when Correa is activated, right? I've had enough of his at bats this season

One would think... although that’s what everyone wanted with Tyler White exactly a month ago when he was hitting .179 and .557 OPS
He’s now at .281 and .981 with 5 HRs (in 36 ABs) since then.

Not sure how I missed this, but LMJ’s injury was from swinging the fucking bat?!
I hated the DH while the Astros were in the NL, had grown to not mind it after 5+ years in the AL, but now think a pitcher hitting is stupid after seeing this. (And seeing way too many rallies killed watching our starters have unproductive outs attempting to bunt)

Overall injury updates:

Astros shortstop Carlos Correa said he expects to be activated from the 10-day disabled list before Friday's game against the Mariners at Minute Maid Park, marking an end to his long stint on the shelf while plenty of Astros remain on it.

Should all go according to plan, Correa will have missed 36 games since he was placed on the DL on June 29, retroactive to June 26.

Correa batted .268 in 73 games this season prior to being sidelined for more than a month. The Astros star required five rehab assignments with Double-A Corpus Christi and went 3-for-16.

"I'm just super excited, super happy to be back," Correa said.

• Correa hit a ball right to his fiancee

Correa said swinging and missing was his largest obstacle during his rehab, specifically how his lower back responded to whiffing at pitches. The 2017 All-Star said his back's poor response to that is what caused a setback shortly before the All-Star break and forced him to start from scratch.

McCullers injured from batting
Astros starter Lance McCullers Jr. said the club concluded his forearm/elbow injury was caused from hitting last weekend on the road vs. the Dodgers.

McCullers, a left-handed batter and right-handed pitcher, has reached a career high in innings pitched (126) in a career-high-tying 22 starts this season. The 24-year-old struck a groundout in the third inning of Houston's win Saturday and, hesitant to swing, was called out on three straight strikes in his only other at-bat in the fifth.

"That's something that we think most likely caused it, which I guess is good, but it's bad," McCullers said. "It's tough to swallow because I was really doing everything I could this year to be healthy and make my starts."

Watch on MLB.com
There is no timetable in place for his rehab process to begin, according to McCullers.

"Anybody want to vote for the DH now?" Astros manager AJ Hinch joked.

Astros injury updates
• Second baseman Jose Altuve (right knee soreness) is taking his rehab process "slow and steady," Hinch said. The Astros plan to "test" Altuve on the field this weekend.

"As soon as he can do more," Hinch said, "he will do more."

Astros president of baseball operations and general manager Jeff Luhnow said he does not believe Altuve will be absent for an extended period of time. The Astros are unsure if Altuve, the reigning American League Most Valuable Player Award winner, will require a rehab assignment.

• Reliever Chris Devenski (left hamstring tightness) threw a bullpen session on Thursday on the main mound at Minute Maid Park with pitching coach Brent Strom and bullpen coach Doug White nearby.

"All things are pointing very solid," Hinch said. "I think we're going to see how he feels tomorrow and whether a rehab assignment is necessary and get him into a game pretty soon. We're really encouraged that that bullpen went well."

• Catcher Brian McCann is "progressing well" and has not had any setbacks since hitting the DL on July 1 following midseason knee surgery. Luhnow said he expects McCann to return to in-game action in 1-2 weeks, either with the Astros or on a Minor League assignment.

• Thanks to two off-days sandwiching this weekend's series against Seattle, outfielder George Springer (sprained left thumb) could miss only eight games since being placed on the 10-day disabled list on Monday, assuming he's activated after 10 days.

On Altuve, we’re up 4-5 games on Oakland without a full lineup.  I think the front office is just being extra cautious with Corrrea & Altuve, so they can be right in September and the post season.   With the extended post season last year and brief offseason some guys needed some extra downtime. If we were fighting for the division or not in first I bet they wouldn’t have been so cautious. 

You guys kill me.
A guy shows you what he’s capable of and you expect him to perform at that high level 100% of the time... or expect a “career year” to happen every year.

Slumps suck. They happen....To everyone (not named Mike Trout). Eventually the good players snap out of it.
Also, we have a team of a bunch of good players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don’t like the sound of the Altuve comment.  Too much typical front office dodge and weave for it to be anything other than worse than we expected.

Yeah, it's weird. There's either structural damage to the knee or there isn't. I suppose it could be very minor damage to the meniscus or something. He's missed 2 weeks with general "knee soreness." 

he probably has/had a grade 1 knee sprain and just keeping him out to be cautious - at least that's my hope. if he's not back within a week, then there's something more severe going on there. if it lines up like posted earlier with him may not needing a rehab assignment then this all lines up but anything more than that and i'm start to really worry. i do think the brief and busy winter break is fucking with guys more than they would admit, unfortunate downside of winning a world series.

Fangraphs reader: Thoughts on Tyler White? Can he hit enough to be a 1B/DH?

9:42

Jeff Sullivan: Yes

9:43

Jeff Sullivan: He actually projects for about the same wOBA as Gurriel

9:43

Jeff Sullivan: Ditto Gattis

9:44

Jeff Sullivan: This year in Triple-A, White had twice as many walks as swinging strikeouts

9:44

Jeff Sullivan: Would a team rather have Tyler White or Eric Hosmer? It’s closer than you’d think!

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

You guys kill me.
A guy shows you what he’s capable of and you expect him to perform at that high level 100% of the time... or expect a “career year” to happen every year.

Slumps suck. They happen....To everyone (not named Mike Trout). Eventually the good players snap out of it.
Also, we have a team of a bunch of good players.

I don't disagree with you at all, but you are looking at a 25-30 game time frame. Maybe he is having some issues with the wrist.