2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

some assorted team pitching stats thru 18 games:

era - 2.62

whip - 1.10

baa - .213

205k / 50bb in 161.2ip

I'll add that our FIP and xFIP are 3.01 and 2.67 respectively. For context a FIP under 3.2 is excellent and an xFIP under 2.90 is excellent. In short, our pitchers are dominating even with a couple of bad games from LMJ and Dallas in the mix.

The shitty part about our platoon is that all our options aren't great right now - marwin, jake, Fisher, even reddick to a degree. At some point we'll cut the bait on jake and/or Fisher and look to more permanent options. Jake and Fisher are basically the same...defensive replacements with speed. Just depend which side you want them from right or left. 

At least with Davis when he was up he started to make solid contact and hit balls hard, wonder if he's an option in left

12 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

The shitty part about our platoon is that all our options aren't great right now - marwin, jake, Fisher, even reddick to a degree. At some point we'll cut the bait on jake and/or Fisher and look to more permanent options. Jake and Fisher are basically the same...defensive replacements with speed. Just depend which side you want them from right or left. 

At least with Davis when he was up he started to make solid contact and hit balls hard, wonder if he's an option in left

anyone who's hitting is an option at dh.

Interesting article about the tendency of umpires to call balls and strikes in extra innings in a way that will end the game sooner. The article uses Jake's AB against the Rangers on Sunday as an example.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everyone-wants-to-go-home-during-extra-innings-maybe-even-the-umps/

"Altogether, teams that are in the position to win (defined as having a runner on base in a tie game) get up to a 27 percentage point increase in the rate of called balls, while teams that look like they're about to lose (defined as any time the away team is trying to hold on to a lead in the bottom half of an inning after the ninth) see increased strike rates of up to 33 percentage points."

lopez_umps_1.png?w=1024&quality=90&strip

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pods said:

What sort of info is there to visualize the strike zone and where each pitch is in real time? They occasionally show it on the TV and I think there are webpages. Are there any apps?

I am not sure if there are any apps. I don't generally check Statcast during the games, but they may have something. I follow this account on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AstrosUmp

It does a good job of showing where pitches are located and provides a breakdown of how often a pitch in that location is called a ball or strike. But it does not show every pitch.

Here's its tweet for the terrible call during Jake's AB:

Edited by Seasick Sailor

46 minutes ago, Pods said:

What sort of info is there to visualize the strike zone and where each pitch is in real time? They occasionally show it on the TV and I think there are webpages. Are there any apps?

The MLB At Bat app has location, pitch type, velocity, etc.