Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

I’m not a lawyer.

Isn’t Roe v Wade going to pop up in a dozen places hoping to bubble up to SCOTUS the moment this guy is confirmed?

We’ve got two young kids and had a tubal done during c section...so my opportunities for and probability of having more kids are incredibly close to zero, so abortion rights almost certainly do not affect me directly anymore.

NPR this morning had a piece on the ‘new normal’ for many community college enrollees...didn’t immediately start after high school, work full time, no parental support and/or are themselves single parents. That got me thinking about this whole ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ thing that feels like a huge contradiction to easy access to birth control, early abortions (though I’d much prefer they use birth control), educational loan assistance, financial assistance for child necessities with low income parents, subsidized health care, etc.

If you want these people to truly help themselves getting to a higher rung in the economy via secondary education...why strive to shutdown government assistance at all levels? If poor people tend to make poorer choices that lead to higher reproductivity that often amount to a drain on society, why work to remove things like planned parenthood or inexpensive hormonal birth control? Blanket abstinence certainly doesn’t work especially when sex is one of your few choices for affordable entertainment...

That political cartoon I posted has stuck with me for years as representative of the legislative mood of a lot of rich old white guts who have no reasonable stake in a very risky game.

Maybe I’m also sick of those people saying they support free market / small government out of one side of their mouth while imposing their own strict religious/social/economic views out the other. It really does feel like they purposefully propagate fear for their own political gain.

I’m not a lawyer.

Isn’t Roe v Wade going to pop up in a dozen places hoping to bubble up to SCOTUS the moment this guy is confirmed?

We’ve got two young kids and had a tubal done during c section...so my opportunities for and probability of having more kids are incredibly close to zero, so abortion rights almost certainly do not affect me directly anymore.

NPR this morning had a piece on the ‘new normal’ for many community college enrollees...didn’t immediately start after high school, work full time, no parental support and/or are themselves single parents. That got me thinking about this whole ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ thing that feels like a huge contradiction to easy access to birth control, early abortions (though I’d much prefer they use birth control), educational loan assistance, financial assistance for child necessities with low income parents, subsidized health care, etc.

If you want these people to truly help themselves getting to a higher rung in the economy via secondary education...why strive to shutdown government assistance at all levels? If poor people tend to make poorer choices that lead to higher reproductivity that often amount to a drain on society, why work to remove things like planned parenthood or inexpensive hormonal birth control? Blanket abstinence certainly doesn’t work especially when sex is one of your few choices for affordable entertainment...

That political cartoon I posted has stuck with me for years as representative of the legislative mood of a lot of rich old white guts who have no reasonable stake in a very risky game.

Maybe I’m also sick of those people saying they support free market / small government out of one side of their mouth while imposing their own strict religious/social/economic views out the other. It really does feel like they purposefully propagate fear for their own political gain.

Are any of your kids girls?

I don't think Roberts will ever vote for a complete removal of Roe as a fundamental right to privacy.  I could be wrong, but I feel he really does respect stare decisis and also thinks about the institution of the Supreme Court itself a lot more than some of the other Supreme Court justices.  He might have no problem not giving the right of abortion if it was a new legal issue, but it's quite different to remove a right that has been granted and affirmed again.  Having said that, you certainly could see states chip away at abortion rights with access, what time period of pregnancy, and so forth.  A possible best and worst case scenario I see depending which side you are on is that in the end it becomes difficult enough to get abortions in a specific state so people will have to cross state lines perhaps for easier access or even do something themselves.  Hard to say though.  

Just now, UTDD said:

I don't think Roberts will ever vote for a complete removal of Roe as a fundamental right to privacy.  I could be wrong, but I feel he really does respect stare decisis and also thinks about the institution of the Supreme Court itself a lot more than some of the other Supreme Court justices.  He might have no problem not giving the right of abortion if it was a new legal issue, but it's quite different to remove a right that has been granted and affirmed again.  Having said that, you certainly could see states chip away at abortion rights with access, what time period of pregnancy, and so forth.  A possible best and worst case scenario I see depending which side you are on is that in the end it becomes difficult enough to get abortions in a specific state so people will have to cross state lines perhaps for easier access or even do something themselves.  Hard to say though.  

Agreed.  I think several of the justices would come down like this at nut-cutting time.

8 hours ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Are you seriously going to argue that outlawing abortion wouldnt lead to a decrease in deaths? Sure some extremely small percentage of women might permanently damage their vaginas or worse, but the amount of childrens who's lives will be saved will dwarf that number in comparison. 

planet-pretend-logo-RGB-shaded.png

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That's one argument. I don't buy it. Why risk it? If Roe is overturned, women will die in states that outlaw abortion.

What about the women inside the womb that die in states that don't outlaw abortion?  I've gone back and forth on my position on abortion my whole life but one argument that always gets made that I will never understand is the "being against abortion is being anti-feminist" argument.  In other words people making this argument are claiming that being for a medical procedure that has resulted in millions and millions of women never seeing the light of day since 1972 is taking a pro-woman position.  This is like saying that supporting giving blankets infected with the smallpox virus to Native Americans is taking a pro-Native American position.  I can guarandamntee that if abortion was outlawed every year less women would die due to illegal abortions than will get flushed down the drain every year abortion is not outlawed.

A large group of people think abortion is the murder of babies.

A large group of people think abortion is lancing a boil.

The fundamental, philosophical and psychological basis are *so* different that it doesn't seem worth trying to reasonably discuss it, whichever side you fall on, as a supportive point on this thread.

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The fundamental, philosophical and psychological basis are *so* different that it doesn't seem worth trying to reasonably discuss it, whichever side you fall on, as a supportive point on this thread.

Nobody thinks its lancing a boil. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What are they?  Serious question. 

1. He lied under oath in 2006 about not being involved in the process to nominate Bill Pryor

2. He lied about not knowing that Leahy's emails were stolen

3. He lied about when he first learned about the Bush administration's warrentless wiretap program

Those are just the ones I'm aware of. Given his extensive career in ratfucking, I'm probably missing some.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nobody thinks its lancing a boil. 

Should I have said the removal of a cyst instead? The point being, it's simply a medical procedure to excise a growth/something unwanted that isn't alive and constituting of murder (or at the very least, having ethical causes and effects).

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Should I have said the removal of a cyst instead? The point being, it's simply a medical procedure to excise a growth/something unwanted that isn't alive and constituting of murder (or at the very least, having ethical causes and effects).

Again wrong. It's a very hard and emotional decision for a woman to make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Neither of these characterizations is accurate, though.   People use that kind of dramatic rhetoric because it's easier than critical thinking.   Take all of the people who scream that abortion is the murder of children.   A huge chunk of them are suddenly ok with it, at least at some point in the pregnancy, if the child is the product of rape/incest, even though none would be ok with murdering an actual born baby who was the product of rape.   Of the rest, if you actually put them in a situation in which they really needed an abortion, or to pay for an abortion of a mistress, many would do it, even though most of those people couldn't bring themselves to kill a baby.   If push came to shove, very few people on the right would actually consider an early fetus to be a baby, and very few on the left would consider a 9-month fetus to not be a baby. 

The political issue of abortion is entirely separate from the reality.    For the right, it's simply a brainless "get out of bad policy free" card that gives people an excuse to always vote R without taking responsibility for any of the consequences on other issues.  If Roe is overturned, Dems will try to do the same thing. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

1. He lied under oath in 2006 about not being involved in the process to nominate Bill Pryor

2. He lied about not knowing that Leahy's emails were stolen

3. He lied about when he first learned about the Bush administration's warrentless wiretap program

Those are just the ones I'm aware of. Given his extensive career in ratfucking, I'm probably missing some.

Like the ones jimmy mentioned, I think there's going to need to be more proof of that before anything could come of it.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If only there was a way to prevent abortions without government intervention.

Sexual education and contraception are just too hard to get behind for the pro-lifer.

No, we need the government to solve this “problem”. 

Kavanaugh called birth control as abortion inducing pill. 

Guy is an extremist that probably believes that abstinence is the only form of birth control 

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Like the ones jimmy mentioned, I think there's going to need to be more proof of that before anything could come of it.

Oh I'm certain nothing will ever come of it, but that has nothing to do with whether he lied under oath about these things. He did. The lack of any repercussions doesn't change that. 

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Oh I'm certain nothing will ever come of it, but that has nothing to do with whether he lied under oath about these things. He did. The lack of any repercussions doesn't change that. 

Eh, I'm not convinced, at least what I have seen of the Pryor thing and the Dem emails.  I could easily be convinced otherwise with more docs.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yeah, I have to admit, that second video appears to be pretty damning.  I didn't think she was doing in intentionally the first time, but I can't think of a reasonable other explanation for the second. 

How about to fuck with all the over reactive idiots on Twitter from when she did it the first time?

18 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

How about to fuck with all the over reactive idiots on Twitter from when she did it the first time?

That's the exact explanation I'm giving.  She's intentionally doing the hand sign to gaslight people.  Which is extremely reckless and disturbing.