Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

can we please move on from hand sign perception arguments over some non-consequential troll and a tired, emotional abortion slapfight (lest you guys summon guapo's return) to whether or not a former political operative and now ussc nominee kavanaugh actually perjured himself?

The answer to that last question is most definitely yes. 

16 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

objection, not relevant.  Let me know when you have a longer video to support your conspiracy theory.

That trolling with that hand sign has become a relatively common thing among right-wingers is clearly relevant to whether another right-winger might be trolling with that hand sign.   

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Well me too.  What is the simplest explanation?  That this educated individual on the most watched confirmation hearing in history applied a sneaky white power sign on day one, got called out on it via twitter, and then decided to do it again because nobody could possibly believe she'd try it again?  Or it was nothing and then she mockingly said 'ok' to some political grandstanding statement? 

I assume there is no longer video that could prove or disprove?  If i'm wrong I will apologize.  Or we can continue the circle jerk.

Also, just finished "The Name of the Wind".  It's good if you haven't read it.

Definitely the first one. Are you under the impression that this administration plays by the old rules of political decorum?

Don't focus on the white power angle. She is purposefully using a hand sign to gaslight Americans. 

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

I really thought all of you were trolling with the whole "she is making white supremacy signs" thing. I am beginning to think you all actually believe it now.

What’s not to believe? I initially thought that the claim of Zina flashing the ‘white power’ gesture was overreaching, but new information has caused me to reconsider.

According to Oxford’s Dictionary of First Names, Zina is a Russian name…short form of Zinaida.  From that—and unless she specifically denies it under oath—I think it’s perfectly logical to assume that she (like all Trumpkins) is at least a Russian apologist, ergo a white supremacist.  

31 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

why are you guys choosing this hill to die on?  there is nothing reasonable about this conclusion.  It's in the same vein as the the guys pushing the pizzagate theory or the obama was a muslim theory.  Goal is to to get to reasonable discussion, not this shit.  

I'm not dying.  She's flashing a white power sign.  She's a non-player staffer with sometimes ties to a corrupt administration.

How the fuck am I "dying" on this hill?

You overstate things.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not dying.  She's flashing a white power sign.  She's a non-player staffer with sometimes ties to a corrupt administration.

How the fuck am I "dying" on this hill?

You overstate things.

Meaning, there is plenty of other things to focus on with respect to this confirmation hearing. Not the least of which is the perjury items you mentioned.  Focusing on her does not lend credibility to the rest of your (royal 'your') statements to less partisan individuals.

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

Meaning, there is plenty of other things to focus on with respect to this confirmation hearing. Not the least of which is the perjury items you mentioned.  Focusing on her does not lend credibility to the rest of your (royal 'your') statements to less partisan individuals.

It's just one interesting aspect of a fascinating political circus.

To me it is becoming increasingly apparent that our political system is not robust enough to withstand the modern era of politics.  Judicial review is not explicitly authorized in the Constitution and relies on Marbury (as Huckleberry has pointed out), the supreme court does not have a set number of judges and can be increased at the whim of the incoming party,  the unchecked ever-increasing power of the executive branch, the susceptibility to populism, and so on.  I think we need to make some changes to the fundamental rules of the system.  But for some reason, those discussions & debates are seldom had.  Most are focused solely on swinging the pendulum back.  

59 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

???

We're discussing a member of his administration pretending to gesture a white power symbol.

No, nice sidestep. You’re arguing a perceived white power symbol, made by a woman we’ve never heard of until this week, is being tacitly endorsed by Trump supporters. It’s total nonsense. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Imagine if she had been an Obama administration official fucking around like that. 

The Right's collective heads would have exploded if some member of Sotomayor or Elena Kagan's entourage was surreptitiously flashing MS-13 gang signs in the background.

16 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

To me it is becoming increasingly apparent that our political system is not robust enough to withstand the modern era of politics.  Judicial review is not explicitly authorized in the Constitution and relies on Marbury (as Huckleberry has pointed out), the supreme court does not have a set number of judges and can be increased at the whim of the incoming party,  the unchecked ever-increasing power of the executive branch, the susceptibility to populism, and so on.  I think we need to make some changes to the fundamental rules of the system.  But for some reason, those discussions & debates are seldom had.  Most are focused solely on swinging the pendulum back.  

One of the odd things about people who claim the founding father's original intent should stand in perpetuity, is that they usually ignore Article 5 which shows that the founding fathers always intended that the Constitution be a living and changing document.

We were once in a prolonged period of polarization and we didn't amend the Constitution for 61 years.  That ended with the Civil War and the 13th amendment.  After Reconstruction, we became more flexible with amendments, and even made mistakes (18th) and corrected them (21st).  However, we got along better in those times.  That period of flexibility ended in 1971 with the 26th Amendment.  The 27th Amendment passed 11 years later although it was a holdover from the 1700s, and not reflective of any modern movement.

Whichever you choose, we're now 26 years from the 27th Amendment and 37 from the 26th.  And while we certainly couldn't get consensus on new amendments, most on all sides these days treat the Constitution as something that should never be modified again.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

However, we got along better in those times.  That period of flexibility ended in 1971 with the 26th Amendment.  The 27th Amendment passed 11 years later although it was a holdover from the 1700s, and not reflective of any modern movement.

21, but point taken.

No, nice sidestep. You’re arguing a perceived white power symbol, made by a woman we’ve never heard of until this week, is being tacitly endorsed by Trump supporters. It’s total nonsense. 
Not quite, and I explained the 3 different scenarios I thought possible when this first happened, one of which I think we can eliminate, but you're close enough in agreeing we are talking about this woman that makes your "But Trump!" comment nonsensical.

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:
35 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Not quite, and I explained the 3 different scenarios I thought possible when this first happened, one of which I think we can eliminate, but you're close enough in agreeing we are talking about this woman that makes your "But Trump!" comment nonsensical.

No, this has nothing to do with Trump or his supporters. But the mind will see what it wants to see. 

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

I really thought all of you were trolling with the whole "she is making white supremacy signs" thing. I am beginning to think you all actually believe it now.

First time could have been accidental.  She was aware that people interpreted it as a white power sign though, seeing as how her husband had to be trotted out to defend her.  Her being a Harvard Law grad implies some intelligence, her reporting to Stephen Miller in the Trump administration implies that she is probably aware of the impression people have about the Trump administration.  Her being married to a US District Attorney whose region covers hundreds of miles of Mexican border, and her being born in Mexico and the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors probably gives her a heightened awareness about racism.

What did she do?  Did she find a reporter and say no, people are just being silly and she was just resting her hand on her arm?

No, the next day she went and very deliberately made the same sign, only there was no mistaking that she made the sign, and more importantly, she made sure it was caught on camera during a US Supreme Court confirmation hearing.

Do I think she's a white supremacist?  No.

She's either another dumbass who somehow slipped through Harvard and Harvard Law and stumbled into a job in the Trump administration.

Or she thinks it's fun to play really fucking stupid games during a US Supreme Court confirmation in the Senate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:
21 minutes ago, Chrispy said:
No, this has nothing to do with Trump or his supporters. But the mind will see what it wants to see. 

What are you actually disputing? That this woman isn't part of the administration? That she isn't intentionally forming a hand gesture?

My god, this is growing tiresome. I was having fun with those that honestly believe this is a display of white power, and you somehow involved Trump and his supporters. It was strange, albeit predictable. 

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:
29 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

What are you actually disputing? That this woman isn't part of the administration? That she isn't intentionally forming a hand gesture?

It's Chrispy.  You'll get nowhere.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

She's either another dumbass who somehow slipped through Harvard and Harvard Law and stumbled into a job in the Trump administration.

Or she thinks it's fun to play really fucking stupid games during a US Supreme Court confirmation in the Senate.

This. What we KNOW about her is this:

1 -- she NOW knows that the symbol has been co-opted by supremacists and is controversial (whether she knew that before, who knows.  I'm talking about what she knows NOW).

2 -- with that knowledge, she purposefully chose to make it in a venue that is being beamed to the whole world.

3 -- that venue is a confirmation hearing for a justice on the SCOTUS, literally one of the most important bodies in the land.

What all of that makes her is a fucking juvenile troll. Maybe she thinks she's being funny, or clever.  It don't make a shit.  It makes her a troll.  She is a fucking adult, in a senior position in the fucking WHITE HOUSE, and she's playing the kind of juvenile game I'd expect to see from 13 year old boys.  Fuck her right in the goat ass.  BUT....she's a perfect member of this, the Troll Administration.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

First time could have been accidental.  She was aware that people interpreted it as a white power sign though, seeing as how her husband had to be trotted out to defend her.  Her being a Harvard Law grad implies some intelligence, her reporting to Stephen Miller in the Trump administration implies that she is probably aware of the impression people have about the Trump administration.  Her being married to a US District Attorney whose region covers hundreds of miles of Mexican border, and her being born in Mexico and the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors probably gives her a heightened awareness about racism.

What did she do?  Did she find a reporter and say no, people are just being silly and she was just resting her hand on her arm?

No, the next day she went and very deliberately made the same sign, only there was no mistaking that she made the sign, and more importantly, she made sure it was caught on camera during a US Supreme Court confirmation hearing.

You left out "now works for Ken Paxton".

No doubt DOTUS and Miller teeheeheed when they saw her make the second sign. They either complimented her bad decisions or told her to do them in the first place. In a normal WH, she wouldn't have done it the second time if she wanted to keep her job.

1 minute ago, retread said:

No doubt DOTUS and Miller teeheeheed when they saw her make the second sign. They either complimented her bad decisions or told her to do them in the first place. In a normal WH, she wouldn't have done it the second time if she wanted to keep her job.

Well, and to correct my notation on that, she WAS a White House official, now she's a Paxton crony.  But she remains a fully plugged-in trumpkin (see her role with Kavanaugh at the hearing).

I heartily mocked the idea that her arm scratch was anything but an innocent gesture. That still seems like the most reasonable interpretation, but that extremely unprofessional move today interjects some doubt. It's very fitting for the times in general and this hearing more specifically.

I asked earlier but it was in the midst of the abortion talk that wasn't terminated early enough. We have multiple accusations of perjury. Can someone connect the dots? These law types play so fast and loose with language that they never quite seem to come out and clearly articulate anything - probably for good reason since the innuendo could be worse than the reality.

7 minutes ago, retread said:

Yep.

The Executive Branch is being run by children.

I didn't involve Trump. This woman involved Trump by being part of his administration making hand gestures behind his SC nominee. Whether she's participating in a hoax and displaying the administration is willing to gratuitously mislead during K's perjuryfest, or she's taken in by the hoax and believes she's flashing a white power sign is a pick your shitty poison.

And still doesn't make your "but Trump" comment make any sense.

2 hours ago, Cacti said:

What’s not to believe? I initially thought that the claim of Zina flashing the ‘white power’ gesture was overreaching, but new information has caused me to reconsider.

According to Oxford’s Dictionary of First Names, Zina is a Russian name…short form of Zinaida.  From that—and unless she specifically denies it under oath—I think it’s perfectly logical to assume that she (like all Trumpkins) is at least a Russian apologist, ergo a white supremacist.  

Lmao. 

2 hours ago, Aphelion said:

It's much worse than what you all are thinking.  That hand sign is known by an elite group as the Eye of Nero.  I know because I have very powerful connections on the internet.  That lady is an indigo mage in the Illuminati.  You watch, in the next 24-36 months some significant event will happen.  You have to connect the dots.  There is no other reason for person's index finger and thumb to touch.  Human anatomy doesn't work that way.  Are we to believe she has hands like a chimpanzee?  

Hold on, I'm setting up /r/TheGreatAphelion and I will post your wisdom in there.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I give her props for doubling down on the troll and having it work even better the second time around.  The direction this thread has taken is proof of her success.

This how we normalize and accept trolling as a viable tactic moving forward.  Fuck that and fuck her. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. What we KNOW about her is this:

1 -- she NOW knows that the symbol has been co-opted by supremacists and is controversial (whether she knew that before, who knows.  I'm talking about what she knows NOW).

2 -- with that knowledge, she purposefully chose to make it in a venue that is being beamed to the whole world.

We do not know this, we saw one clip in super slow motion with no context. You have decided to make these conclusions based on that. 

If it were so obvious there would be a longer clip with sound so we could understand what happened. 

This is as ridiculous as some of the alt-right conspiracies. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, hornbri said:

We do not know this, we saw one clip in super slow motion with no context. You have decided to make these conclusions based on that. 

If it were so obvious there would be a longer clip with sound so we could understand what happened. 

This is as ridiculous as some of the alt-right conspiracies. 

are you fucking blind?